At what age did you finally realize that, generally speaking...

At what age did you finally realize that, generally speaking, the concept of 'selling out' doesn't really exist and most artists are just being honest?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8lgLYGBbDNs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=8lgLYGBbDNs

This is now a sellout albums thread

Pic related is especially funny because it STILL flopped despite being the laziest and most blatant sell out album in existence. Imagine being such a failure.

Marina is an old hag now with a dead career.

You rule dude.

I remember being 15 and thinking I was a genius because I shunned pop music.

It's around the same time you realise money is more important than artistic integrity

Nicki Minaj is a sellout.

>Netsky
>Wilkinson
>Modestep
>Skrillex
>Roni size
>Nu:Tone

All sellouts right here

When I stopped listening to music for enjoyment
>implying

I think you're over romanticizing a Lil' Kim clone.

Money is more essential to life but you really can't compare the two. There's no fucking way that musicians sit down and write a riff or a phrase unnaturally. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as the ballwashing and ego pampering that goes around in the music circles. People just want to know they have their little niche carved out for them and they don't want their secret getting out. Their last line of defense is to call them a sellout because they felt connected to an artist at some point and they feel betrayed by the fact that a musician isn't catering their work to them personally. It's a childish and narcissistic accusation.

you were. When you stopped you became a fucking pleb, like you are now.

Oh man how will I ever recover from this?

10/10 you stuck that landing like a pro, Jimmy Neutron boy genius.

I mean if you dont wanna call it selling out then call it lowering standards which is what it rly is. Except this makes em money

Just because you lost your initially superficial interest in music and reverted to listening to pop doesn't mean everyone does the same thing you insecure projectionist

I do not listen to pop.

>tfw you could have been a musician and your teachers said you could be good if you just took the time to practice
>had $1000's in amps, equiptment
Threw it all away to smoke weed with my friends . That got me places, but yeah, I would have sold out hard a fuck..It was kind of about the money.

But you can still make great music and make money. Knowing how to market yourself is not selling out. Music is a business. Hard work and persistence is often rewarded. But yeah smoking weed or doing drugs and ignoring your craft is the story of so many failed musicians. Sticking to it is hard. It's why I respect the top 40 artists despite hating their music.

you always mention this, why did you give up?

because he's a failure that's what they do

Are you sure it wasn't the autism?

Different things, mainly me not practicing or taking lessons seriously. I did for years but grew from it. Weird how I want to get back into it now, but I'll never be where I once was. I was a bit above avarage at the piano, normal with guitar and I was getting into the drums. I just had different priorities then. I guess it's this weird mini-life crisis thing where I've realized I've done nothing I wanted to do with my life or have really persued a lot of my interests.

It's kind of difficult. When I was youngerI would criticise musicians for being sell outs and then you enter the real world. You realise soon that for most musicians are making a mediocre income like most of the world and that the ones who are successful simply ride the wave. Maybe there's some egotism involved like with most art but really, they're just getting more money for something they apparently are good at, even if you yourself don't appreciate it. I respect musicians who do it solely for the enjoyment of their craft more than I do pop musicians and EDM producers etc. who do it for money obviously, but I understand where they're coming from.

It seems like these days promoters, agents, the scene itself are becoming detrimental to the artists themselves than "selling out".

you can still do it just don't expect to get big do it as a hobby

True, but I'll never have that window of opportunity when I was younger and didn't have to worry about work etc. Even though I thoroughly enjoy music and at one time learning how to make it, I've faced the fact that me being a musician like I wanted to is something of the past.

>>>>>>>>>>

Justifying it online OP.
You suck.

you're so self defeating
it's fucking annoying