Wasn't this part in Fellowship of the Ring a bit strange? Aren't Merry and Pippin like 40 years old

Wasn't this part in Fellowship of the Ring a bit strange? Aren't Merry and Pippin like 40 years old

>Aren't Merry and Pippin like 40 years old
Yeah but they're also gay

Can't two 40 year olds wrestle a big guy to the ground?

Someone's never had a bit of friendly banter with his mates.

40 years in Hobbit Terms is about late teens in Human terms. they are just dumb kids.

Nothing wrong with a bit rough housing.

Isn't everyone in this story old as fuck? I guess it makes sense proportionally. Dunno why Tolkien made that choice though

This, OP is an idiot. Hobbits are always childlike and live longer anyway, so 40 years is not very old.

Hobbits are still extremely childlike and their maturation varies.

A 40 year old Hobbit is still considered an early adult by their own standards. Frodo was still considered young even though he was also like 40 or so around the time of Bilbo's party.

Didn't they consider 50 the age when you became an adult?

No, 50 is the equivalent of 35 for a human.

In the books, Frodo and Bilbo are middle-age when they begin their journeys.

He had good taste and made his story about men. Thankfully he was alive before the age of teenage anime characters taking over fantasy.

All the Hobbits are in their 40s-50.
Boromir is 40.
Aragorn is in his 80s.
Gimli is close to or around 110 - he wanted to be in Thorin's company but at 60 was considered too young.
Legolas and Gandalf are fuck old.

When they all got to Rivendell their ages were

Frodo: 50 years old
Samwise: 38 years old
Merry: 36
Pippin: 28

so in terms of age, Merry and Pippin were still pretty young in hobbit years

Frodo, like Bilbo before him, was also considered mature for his age.

You'd think Bilbo's Party would have accurately shown how adolescent Hobbits are even into their later years. Guess not in OP's case.

Then again OP is probably just brandybucking our longbottoms

Boromir was such a great character. He seemed like a dick at first, but he genuinely loved the hobbits. The ring corrupted after months of being around it, but he made up for it in the end. Greatest most heroic death scene too.

for you

>Gimli is close to or around 110 - he wanted to be in Thorin's company but at 60 was considered too young.

Didn't know that. Thanks.

All the hobbit ages are above but, Gimli is 140 when they get to Rivendell, Legolas was about 2500 years old although never specifically stated.

Gandalf, wasn't really 'born" but he has walked Middle Earth as an old looking man for over 2500 years

This guy got it right

He varies in the books though, but yeah he was genuinely a good guy and he wanted to protect the Hobbits.

In the book's he's kind of a cunt, he's clearly more jealous of Aragorn and he bitches the entire time about the routes Gandalf and Aragorn are picking. He constantly totes how fucking great and shit Gondor is and has a relatively narrow worldview. He does however prove useful due to his skill, big size (for you), and even saves their asses because he was the one who thought "maybe we should bring fire wood up this mountain so we don't freeze our nips off."

Boromir redeems himself by giving his life trying to protect Merry and Pippin. His attempt to take the Ring also had the lucky side effect of getting the Hobbits to Treebeard, Aragorn and Co. to Rohan, etc.

>Gandalf, wasn't really 'born" but he has walked Middle Earth as an old looking man for over 2500 years
Why choose an old man?
Why not be a cute loli?

Gandalf is a Maiar, so he's literally older than Arda itself. I'm aware of this.

because he's not a pedophile.

kill yourself.

let's not also forget that while Gandalf technically walked Middle Earth, He's a spirit who has existed since before Middle Earth and actually helped in creating the world

niggas like forever old

because God made him go to Middle Earth in human form

What's with the daily LOTR and Hobbit threads? Does it have something to do with GoT being popular?

>tfw watched Fellowship last night

why did he have to die lads ;_;

lol

Same. And same... I teared up.

>comparing High Fantasy to that edgy shitfest

Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.

Emmett ?

>Because of the Ent food Mary and Pippin grow several inches taller
>Return home as some of the tallest Hobbits of all time
>Spend the rest of their lives as super alphas of Hobbiton because of their size and feats

Man they really got the good end.

I don't know what that is brochacho

I wrassle my friends to the ground all the time. It usually ends with me slamming my cock into them tho

Honestly man they all got good rewards

>Frodo gets to go chill with the Elves and Gods in paradise and never die
>Sam inherits Bag End and marries his waifu and they bang a ton
>Pippin and Merry become true alphas
>Aragorn is king for like 200 years and gets that sweet elf-cousin pussy
>Legolas and Gimli have bro adventures and then sail to Valinor
>Gandalf finally gets to stop being an old shit and gets to go home

No, 33 is when you become an adult. Bilbo's eleventy-first birthday fell on the same day as Frodo's thirty-third.

>Saruman gets beaten up by hobbits and stabbed to death by Wormtongue

>I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well than you deserve.

What did he mean by this?

Pippin mentions in Return of the King that he is some years short of being an adult by the measure of the Shire.

Loli is human form as well.

Yeah, lone wondering girl wouldn't attract any unwanted attention in medieval world.

>you get to save Boromir
>He's with you at Helm's Deep and for the rest of the game

He meant that he's been a crotchety old man for years and regrets that friendlier with the other hobbits.

I don't think he honestly meant it though.

They probably needed a bit of harmless rough-housing after all the travelling they had been doing, especially when you consider the shit they'd have ahead of them.

Also, pier bonding fám. Some of the Fellowship members sort of treat being together more like a business collaboration than anything else, so it's good they try and become actual friends.

>b-b-but the b-books

You retards defend every single retarded aspect of this movie.

He could have had the appearance of a young man first arriving on Middle-Earth, got old and stayed that way for the majority of his years there.

Maybe he stopped physically aging when he hit 70 in Man years, or so.

Saruman was a cool guy.

I always thought him turning Bag End into a hobo-den while he lived there was kinda uncharacteristic.

>never die
Mortals still die in Aman.

Gift of Men, man.

see

The books and movies timelines are slightly different, so Frodo and co are actually far younger in the movies since they don't dick around for twenty years or so before fleeing the Shire

He meant he doesn't really know most of the people at his party and the ones he does know he doesn't like. Bilbo once he came back from his adventure in the hobbit was a jack ass that thought he was better than the other hobbits because he had actually gotten out and seen shit but he forgot that before he was coerced into going on the mission he was the same as they were.

Sounds like someone has a phobia when it comes to reading

Not in Aman. That's why the Numenorreans tried to invade the immortals lands, to be, well, immortals. You only die in Middle Earth.

He actually just appeared on middle earth as an old man, thats how god him to show up on middle earth

Yeah, and it's easier to people in middle earth to listen to the advices of an old man than a young one. Because that's why Gandalf is here after all.

Will we get another fantasy movie with an excellent world build ever again

Silmarions, one day, maybe.

probably not

The Silmarilion cannot be made into a movie. It would a 14 hour movie akin to those boring videos you watched in high school classes.

There are a lot of stories in the silmarillion, which can be made into multiple movies

I'm pretty sure that was bullshit Sauron made up to trick the Dunedain into destroying themselves, men becoming immortal was a one of a kind deal

its called the undying lands for a reason homie

Uh, no dude. Actually quite the opposite, mortals die faster in Aman than they would in Middle Earth since the divine energy is too much for their mortal flesh or some shit.

Because the beings who live there never die, not because the continent is magical and grants everlasting life. This was all clearly explained in The Silmarillion.

Because the undying live there, not because you become immortal if you live there, it's not like the Valar can change the fate of men

How different would it be if Borormir didn't shatter the Fellowship?
Would all 8 of them managed to sneak to Mordor and complete the mission?
Would Rohan be liberated and Saruman defeated?
Would the Witch King die in Pelenor Field?
Would they have taken the same route Frodo and Sam took or take a less/more discreet route?
Would Gandalf return to them?
Boromir's action had such a huge impact on the story. His failings led to so many people saved/dead. He truly represent mankind in the fellowship with flaws that leads to great consequences, unlike Legolas and Gimli who didn't really do much.

They can't change the fate of man but they can of certain men.

I mean heaven is pretty magical and thats what it is

>‘The Doom of the World,’ they said, ‘One alone can change who made it. And were you so to voyage that escaping all deceits and snares you came indeed to Aman, the Blessed Realm, little would it profit you. For it is not the land of Manwë that makes its people deathless, but the Deathless that dwell therein have hallowed the land; and there you would but wither and grow weary the sooner, as moths in a light too strong and steadfast.’

here's a quote from tolkien himself too
>As for Frodo or other mortals, they could only dwell in Aman for a limited time - whether brief or long. The Valar had neither the power nor the right to confer 'immortality' upon them. Their sojourn was a 'purgatory', but one of peace and healing and they would eventually pass away (die at their own desire and of free will) to destinations of which the Elves knew nothing."

>it's a comfy Tolkien thread episode

are hobbits based on neets? they are aren't they

No, they are based on an idealized romantic pre-Industrial England

Neets didn't exist back then. Hobbits are based on simple people living in the country. Just the last people you'd expect to save the world.

The concept of neets didn't really exist back then. These books were written by a man who had lived through WWI and was going into WWII. Hobbits and Hobbiton were written as an idealized version of what the world should be with the War of the Ring representing WWII and the industrial Revolution.

Tolkien was Catholic, so it makes sense the Undying Lands in a purgatory of sorts for mortals. Frodo was a hollow shell of himself after bearing the ring, so it was nice he could recharge before dying.

Did Hobbits even live that much longer than humans? I was under the assumption Bilbo being so young and spry for a 111 year old was due to the Ring's influence.

90-100 was the average lifespan of a hobbit

They're just friends having a good time nigga, this scene warmed my heart. You too much of a macho man to understand this m8?

I hate to be that guy, but in the book they talked about how Boromir really cared about the hobbits because they reminded him of little kids. I think it was a short line here or there about Boromir taking to Merry and Pippin.

They live about the same their culture just allows them to develop slower.

>unlike Legolas and Gimli who didn't really do much
They made jokes in the middle of serious battle while their new faceless friends were being killed
Surely that's something?

Hobbits lived as long as a human taking care of himself lives today, despite eating five meals a day and smoking pipeweed erryday. So they definitely lived longer than your average medieval peasant in a world where there's orcs running about.

Mostly their child-like disposition was all down to the sheltered lives they got to live, though. The hobbits we follow are the most privileged of the hobbits, and the hobbits themselves are kept safe from everything by the rangers. Tolkien mentions that some hobbits make do with literal holes in the ground for homes, and I'm pretty sure those guys would have been less childlike than Merry and Pippin.

>implying 5 meals a day is bad

Also I think it's safe to assume their pipeweed is better than the trash we smoke.

Boromir is fucking Judas. Saves/Redeems the world through his betrayal.

5 Hobbit-meals are.

Depends on the meals. Most seem pretty healthy and I'm sure some are fairly small.

In the extended edition of FotR Pippin eats 4 bars of Lembas bread. Not to mention the shit they cook and the amount of beer that they drink.

The didn't even realize you could get beer in pints. I don't think they drink that much.

Well, you know what they say: A small is just a large with more walking.

The hobbits didn't have pints in the Shire because they're awkwardly large for their small stature (These are sub 5 foot beings after all) not because they don't drink a lot.

Hobbits age really slowly, that's why the ones in the fellowship act like teenagers when they're really like 40.

A pint to a hobbit is close to a pitcher for an average sized human. If everyone at a bar were drinking directly from pitchers then we'd be talking a similar situation.

>If everyone at a bar were drinking directly from pitchers then we'd be talking a similar situation.

That dog is dead,

Frodo is almost twice as old as Pippin? Damn. Didn't realize the age gaps were that big.

That's why Merry and Pippin were a lot sillier.

lord of the rings is not an allegory reeeeee

Not a direct allegory but you can't deny the influence of the two world wars on Tolkien and his writing.

influenced yes, but the war of the ring was not directly based on world war 2, sauron was not hitler, and the ring was not the bomb. Tolkien wanted his stories to be taken at face value and felt they lost much of their meaning if a reader couldn't directly connect with it because it was heavily based on something the reader never experienced. The influence was there of course and there are certainly things that were inspired by tolkiens experience such as isengard being the industrialization of england or denethor being inspired by terrible people in leadership positions he encountered throughout his life, but at the end of the day he wanted to create a new well thought out fantasy world that was completely separate from ours.

because he was played by sean bean
sean bean always dies