Posted about the timing belt last night, i've checked out the belt and it seems fairly good

Posted about the timing belt last night, i've checked out the belt and it seems fairly good.

Thoughts? Am I a retard? Just a guy who wants to know if he should get the belt changed out at 100k miles or right now. 2005 honda accord v6 with 70k miles.

That looks like an accessory/serpentine belt. What's the symptom?

first off this is the wrong thread to post asking for car help as most uses are 14 and don't know shit about cars.

Your photo is of the accessory belt not the timing belt. There is either an access panel on the front of the motor or you might need to remove the valve cover to actually see it. Depending on which engine and year its possible it might have a timing chain and not a belt

If you do replace the belt make sure you've put it around the right way and consult the manual as per belt position

thats not a timing belt. there are no cracks in it so no need to change it. follow your fsm to see when youre supposed to change it

It's fine.

That's not the timing belt but of the timing belts never been done your way overdue and if that snaps the engine is toast

That's a serpentine belt dude the timing belt is on the side with the cover.

Is your belt tension at spec?

You should 100% get the timing belt changed at the recommended interval. It's not just about the belt but also about the bearings in the tensioner/idler pulleys too. If one of them fails and the belt lets go you will end up with pistons crashing into valves and major engine failure. Also everyone is right the picture is not your timing belt, it's just running your power steering pump and other accessories. The timing belt is hidden under a cover and is a pain to get to and must be done properly as it controls the interaction between your cam and crank which is critical to keep the engine running smoothly.

I'm a Honda enthusiast. The recommended service interval is 100k I've replaced ones at 150k that still looked new. Unless you drive like an asshole, or have extremely bad luck, don't worry about it right now. But when you do it - do the full package - Tim belt water pump, hoses, t-stat, coolant, etc. What it is time for right now, if you haven't already - is drain and refill transmission fluid.

Fuck it kill yourself

that's not the timing belt man

Just burn the car, collect insurance and get a new car. its the American way.

That car has a timing chain I believe
So not like most other cars
You don't have to do shit famm

So your pictures are of the accessory/serpentine belt. The timing belt is inside a metal cover filled with gears and grease, probably under the air intake on the driver's side. There may be a date or mileage on a sticker on it. It should be replaced every 70-100k miles. You have no business opening the case. This belt keeps your valves in sync with your pistons. In a Honda j30 engine, if this belt fails, the pistons can collide with the valves. This is catastrophic, and would mean new car/engine. You would be wise to pay a professional to change it and it's tensioner, it is not simple, and if you cock it up, your car won't run or possibly worse.

I drive an 08 accord. Manual recommends to do timing belt every 60k bro. That's one thing I take seriously as those motors are zero clearance motors and to do it yourself is $40 for the belt, water pump, and hydraulic tensioner. And pick up two gallons of honda coolant, it's not necessary but it's safe to get the proper specs in the coolant for only a couple dollars more. And a few hours of work.

That being said, the fact that you think your serpentine belt is a timing belt says you cannot do it yourself. Find a garage that won't rip you off and has a decent reputation. You can find guys that do good work a lot of times for $400 instead of $1400 like what a dealership or shitty garage will charge.

The timing belt will come off looking flawless but you cannot see the inside of it and it handles a lot of torque.

OP here, I realize i'm retarded. Where is the belt then? inside near the pistons?

Not very mechanically inclined at all, Which is why I go to Sup Forums for answers.

Symptom is this, When it's cold start, I can feel a bit of chuggin in the exhaust line. Like it's inconsistent and it stops after the car is warmed up.

The fact that you think there is a drop of grease under a timing cover with a timing belt says you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Yep, had it drained and filled 2x

Need dexcon II coolant or it'll turn to jelly in a couple days. Couldn't remember the coolant type.

that's completely normal on most older 4 cyl vehicles (90's early 2000's). When the vehicle is cold, the Coolant temp sensor sends a signal to the computer saying that's its cold. Fuel is harder to burn properly, so the computer compensates the cold with more fuel, which in turn should make the car chug a bit when cold.

I've heard some shit about how the 08 models need more maintenance and I'm not saying you're wrong but if the Manuel says that for that specific model I'm not sure.

Really appreciated the whole "not attacking me for not knowing" Fellas, I expected to get called a faggot and be done.

They may have changed the recommendations for sure. I know older motors were 100k and I was blown away at the 60k on this one. It would certainly be ideal to check the book on it. I know my 08 is a cunt. The belt is behind an electric motor mount and had two bolts crumble in the block when I did it last.

looks fine don't sweat it

Curious on how you learn to do the timing belt? Was your father a mechanic and taught you? or did you just learn it yourself? I'm not saying I want to DIY but I'm always fascinated by people who know how to do such complex mechanical things.

You're good Sup Forumsother. If you're interested in saving yourself tens of thousands of dollars pick up a decent set of tools and start with small stuff and work your way up. It pays itself off time and time again and feels great but frustrating at the same time.

Good luck.

tighten the bolt that's visible in pic related, about 1/32 or 1/16 revolution

That's not the timing belt

Learned through research on google. Started small when I was younger and worked my way up. I'm not at a mechanic level but I can do most things with what I have. Most important thing I have found is to research it for a couple days and TAKE YOUR GOD DAMN TIME the first time you do it.

*rotation. Sorry using phone to post. I mean the bolt that's holding the belt in place

See, I'm even scared to do that shit because my first car was a 1996 honda accord with 277k miles on it. Car lasted about a week, then my next car was a 2006 chevy malibu and it lasted 2 months before the timing belt fucked the engine. This is my 3rd vehicle.

Can you possibly link me to a decent set of tools that will help with car stuff mostly?

Well that's the problem dude, generally don't buy a car that's >100k (unless it's a nice car like a BMW or Jaguar) I get this problem with my winter vehicles all the time, just tighten the belt. Google how to do it for you make and model tho, Idk if it's some weird Korean shit

You already got your answer, take it to a good mechanic or you will screw up the motor.

>I can feel a bit of chuggin in the exhaust line.

This entire thread is fake and gay.

There isnt a set I have found put together for everything HOWEVER, the tools I use that get 99% of jobs done are pretty easy to get. Everything else you can rent from autozone or whatever for free to get odd jobs done. Ill link a few links. In a second.

You're a faggot, you're making this up. Fuck off..
>sauce ASE cert 25 years in the business.