If you view the universe and the nature of reality as an endless expanse of possibility...

If you view the universe and the nature of reality as an endless expanse of possibility, it makes us all both monumentally unimportant and yet at the same time unique in every way. You are the only specific iteration of you that will exist in this moment and still insignificant to the whole of all things. You will make no lasting impact on our universe, let alone an uninterrupted existence of turbulent unending variations, but in some form or another this gives you freedom beyond anything in store for you.

No matter what we do, in some form or another we will never extend or digress beyond the middle of our evolutionary state. There will always be some form of entity vastly beyond or wildly below us.

The universe does not care about you. Reality does not notice you. We are uninteresting cosmic trash floating fixed through an ever changing yet stationary permanence of a world we can change and not change.

Does of this make sense? Who fucking cares, why even try to understand something which harbors no meaningful impact on yourself or the nature of everything as a whole. We are stuck in this moment, moving ever closer from past to future, but in some way we are everything and everything is us.

This is my rant... I'm very tired

I stuck a sock in my butthole

Aaaaand this is why I don't do drugs...

I'm painfully sober

I understand completely. Do we continue on in vain, or do we take control of our futures and kill ourselves as soon as possible?

kys

Honestly thinking this way chills me out. It makes my problems seem small. When we die we become nothing, but how do we describe nothing? You were nothing before you were born but you dont think of things that way because we are intrinsically tailored to view things moving forward. From birth we are ingrained with a sense that we are somehow special as a living thing and given an overwhelming desire for survival. When you stop and accept that everything we do and experience are unimportant to everything but us, it kind of puts things in perspective.

I appreciate life and at the same time await death as the ultimate adventure. How do you experience nothing? You don't. Appreciate the experiences you have now in this moment because they will quite literally never happen again.

Death is not an end, it simply isn't anything

who else /high/

Good thread

i was gonna but i think im gonna take t break instead
it's just not the same after a while u know

Give me an existential topic of some kind and I'll rant like an idiot as if I have any idea what I'm talking about

Idk just spew some thoughts that cross your mind
We're all just passengers in this thread

what do you think humanity might achieve if we survive out current era of petty resource/ideology squabbling?
like certain sci-fi alien empires, what do you think humanity might do if technology, time, and energy were no object?
what is the endgame of intelligent life?

It floors me that the vast majority of people are so utterly concerned with all these trivial things. There is a literal endless expanse of things to discover and experience all around us, even going as far as additional dimesional constructs and concepts beyond what we can even perceive. Our perception of the world around us operates in a 3 dimensional sense and yet at the same time there are endless variations of dimension we cant even see or understand.

If you start with a 0 point, e see no length width or dimesion, it's just a solitary point with no attributes. Move to one dimesions and you get a length with no width bordered by two 0 point dimensional spaces. You can see where I'm going with this. Go on to 4th dimensional objects and you get a 6 sided cube, bordered by 3 dimensional cubes. We don't even have the understand of existence to even comprehend this outside pure mathematical terms.

When did we go from a desire to explore and discover the nature of the things around us to focusing on such small insignificant stuff.

I legitimately believe we are headed for some form of cataclysmic event that will decimate humainty to a point where we are forced to change our perspective. Everything we do is focused on survival, who has more of what, who is at the top, what color someone is, etc. If we could ever stop and come together as a collective species in the spirit of pure curiosity and discovery, the possibility of what we could accomplish is mindblowing incomprehensible.

There is so much surrounding us we don't even know about let alone understand. We don't know what the end game of intelligent life might be because we don't even know what consciousness and sentience even are.

For example, time does not nessecarily operate going forwards or backwards. We simply lack the ability to perceive it in any other way than moving forward. What happens if we venture out into space and discover some being that operates on principles not defined by the math and science we have discovered as humans?

There is no end to what might accomplished if people actually gave a shit and I truly believe it's going to take mass disaster to make people finally give up their petty shit

Not really the place for a serious philosophical discussion. Miracles happen all around us. We are just one of the infinite expressions of creation. You would do well to be appreciative and grateful for being sufficiently healthy and conscious. Humans have fucked up the lives of other humans since before recorded human history. Now we are fucking up the wildlife and our home planet. It's our own fault and our desire for power over others. All of our achievements are meaningless and will die along with us one day. The planet and wildlife will continue without us. Instead of having superficial and hollow aspirations, we should learn to enjoy our existence and the ups and downs the human condition has to offer.

This is generally what I was getting at but I'm tired as hell and borderline retarded

do you think that impending resource wars (barring something like Planetary Ventures getting off their ass and actually mining asteroids) or mass climate-related migration might be that catastrophe?
i feel you man. im relatively young, and it breaks my fuckin heart our species just keeps fumbling around in the dirt

do you believe that the urge to become, the urge to aspire, is part of the human condition?

It could be any number of things really. There are so many conflicts and problems in the world just as far as humans are concerned, I really can't tell what will be the final kick in the ass we need to get ourselves together.

We've effectively bred billions of uneducated meat sacks only concerned as far as the next carnal pleasures will take the.

I learned nothing in school, the generation behind me will certainly learn nothing of any significance and the only way I see things improving is either people will realize we need to come together and get back to when people actually had a desire for something outside the view of their fucking iphone, or we're gonna blow ourselves up and start from scratch.

I in no way claim to be any form of intelligent. Hell I've had to use autocorrect for most of these posts. I smoke, I drink, I do drugs, but I can look at the nature of things and accept that there is more to life than sitting in a room all day listening to whatever someone on a box tells me and parroting back whatever some clandestine billionaire run government tells me.

I make a point to learn something new every single day. I recognize the importance of education for the formation of free thought. It pains me to see so many people content to just take whatever is thrown their way without ever having the desire to find out why.

We are here for such a finite amount of time. In comparison to the age of the world around us we are so small that we don't even register. That's all the more reason to experience and find out as much as we can while we are here right now. I want to know things, I want to experience all that life and the universe around me has to offer. I just wish more people felt the same way

>if
Who cares? Maybe you don't matter, maybe you're god's chosen child. Does it have an effect on your life? No? Then stop worrying.

must be nice to have everything figured out like that

you. i like you

I don't know for certain; I'm just another dude with too much time on his hands to think about out-there shit. For further accuracy, I would go on a limb and say that all sentient living things have a primal innate urge to continue on. Those creatures that lack this or are unhealthy, die out first I suppose. All of our ancestors before us have been successful, leading right up to us. Life seems very parasitic on our planet. From byproducts of dead life come new life, in countless ways. From the microbe to the biggest mammal. I'm just talking about our planet, but there must be other life on planets that can sustain it. It's quite overwhelming and humbling when considered.

>have everything figured out
What does that even mean? It's concept with no evidence whatsoever. There is not enough information to worry about it. There is no reason to get emotionally attached to maybes. Feel free to ponder about such things, but don't be so melodramatic about it unless there's certainty.

You're an idiot. If JUST THIS universe is infinite...There are literally infinite arrangements of atoms to make infinite yous. If this goes on to include the Many Worlds interpretation, then there's Infinite versions of infinite yous. I smoke and all, but you need to lay off the drugs, bro.

But why should we stop? Yes in some sense we're just a bunch of monkeys floating aimlessly through the endless expanse of space, but we are aware of ourselves and that's fucking beautiful. We're naturally given an opportunity to expand beyond what we are and seek out new and interesting possibilities. We have such a short time to simply be and I want to fill as much of that time learning everything I can. Everything we experience and everything we are is so undeniably small and yet so exceptionally spectacular at the same time.

It's the idea that we don't know everything that should drive us. We used to have a sort of spirit of inquiry that drove us to such great things.

When the steam engine was first invented that shit blew people's minds. Noone thought anything like that could exist. The first movies terrified people like some kind of fucking voodoo. What happened to that wonder, where did we turn from a desire to discover and be a part of the world, to taking everything at face value or simply not caring at all... If everyone took an attitude of not caring, we would never go anywhere and that's just sad

you know OP, there's an obscure theory somewhere that the identical nature of each subatomic particle is an artifact of a supra-spatiotemporal property.
that is, the reason every subatomic particle looks the same is because there's only 1 of it, bouncing back and forth in time and space
what would that imply for the macroscale organization of the universe, i wonder

You did not get my point. Also, your post is basically a collection of more assumptions. You don't learn anything by guessing and romanticizing your guesses.

We are the unive we looking at itself

I can't speak to the validity of it, but I recently got into the idea that everything is basically just a smaller version of everything. The bigger you go the smaller we are, yet the smaller you go the bigger we are. Everything is one part of a much bigger whole and yet there's so much individuality to everything. There could be entire universes inside us and we'd never know. Not particularly scientific but I think it's kind of cool

push/pull extra reality dynamic
its very real
but not this reality
and we're the extensions of it
or rather
within the arena of the extensions
but certain entities are the balancing forces/observers
preventing one side gaining too much and vice versa
stabilising force
5d point particle
with 3d interactions inside like an electrical current
creating an additional dimensional axis
which enables the 5d reality to have solid shape and thus interact with others of its kind

eg how do you establish a point to both be a point and also have things inside it?

have a wave function within it

and that wave function can be influenced by the neighbouring wave functions nestled within it
which also conveniently
numerically follow phi/fibonacci. 1,1,2,3,5
then beyond is 8 etc
nestled within itself
a "simplified equation" can be applied directly to the interactions between the realities
but at any stage
eg this vs them
but also the cooperative point that "us" and "them" together exist in/create/stabilise
and its two companions (since at that stage it is not a duality but a tri-ality.. whatever the equivalent word is)
hence "higher dimensions"
being more and more removed from this linear frame
and the close "blocking" "entities" are just the immediate ones going back and forth
but beyond them are the more removed but still nestled ones
but inside those they have their own equivalent dualities
which can be seen as the fractal time theory stuff ive described if you remember how i drew it
i also realise that the more we 'define' this reality as in, we are literally understanding the theoretical constructs of it
we are DEFINING it in the way ive referred to before
eg we are giving it more energy/presence/awareness
and thus "boosting" it/taking note and amplyifying its vibration
it is a form of reversed entropy
but not necessary to produce more internal energy
but "trickle down" energy eg conscious awareness

I guess what I'm getting at is we don't know anything and that makes me want to find out as much as I can. I have a habit of over-thinking things I'll admit.

But you, in this moment, as an individual will only ever be you. It doesn't matter what every other possible version of you might be, you personally will be the only you that exists within your perception. I understand that I'm over-thinking and getting into unrealistic or out there shit, but it's a manner of thinking that makes me happy. Even if there is a reality with an exact carbon fucking copy of me, I'll never see him, or interact with him in any way and he matters just a little as me in the grand scheme of things. We can be whoever we want, because nothing we do will ever matter. That's the kind of freedom I like to envision. I don't know it's 100% likely that I'm just spouting nonsense at this point.

why come to a speculative, metaphorical thread to be pessimistic/objectively rational

because this is the version of them that is a boring fuck

how would you liven it up?

I posted the thread so I don't know. I tend to get a little caught up in this stuff

too long, did not read

this actually made me really peaceful inside. like, out of the near infinite possibilities and configurations, the actions I take are both infinitely unique and permanently change the universe, and cannot be undone or reversed, the results can only be acted upon further. kind of like, every action sets in stone the eventual state of the universe.

Incorrect. If the universe is infinite, there's an identical Earth in the same solar system and its only difference may be a single fucking quark. If this universe, or the multiverse are infinite, there are infinite yous with identical experiences and thoughts. Do you know how big Alyph Null is? And that's the SMALLEST infinity.

If this universe is infinite, nothing you've EVER done is unique. Literally

I'm not sold that the universe is infinite. I think it's finite. It's possible the universe in which we reside is the "ground" state of quantum possibilities, which means that anything *can* happen but usually doesn't, but I think it's a stretch to assume the universe is boundless.

You're missing my stupid philosophical point. In this moment, right now, it doesn't matter how many other you's might be out there. In all probability with this thinking, there is an exact copy of me in every sense typing the exact same thing, but I am not him and he is not me. I guess it all comes down to how you view individuality. If me and my doppleganger met would we think the exact same thing and act on the same thoughts in an equal and opposite reaction, or would we ranch off and experience things differently from one another? The point is I have no fucking idea and it's chill as fuck to think that right now, I am the only me that matters to me.

That sounds like you're trying to apply a superposition to the whole universe. That isn't how it works. If the Many Worlds theory is true OR the universe is infinite, then at best, the SPACE you reside in is more unique than you. It can be seen as infinite me's, writing infinite variations of this post, and the only difference will be that me and all the other me's will necessarily occupy separate physical spaces. Space itself is more unique than we may be.

I think the basic idea here is that space and science are cool and we should spend more time looking at the why of things instead of chimping out like the monkeys we are

In a nutshell. True scientists already live their lives through this lens. If every single person cared enough about the whys, the possibilities for mankind would be endless.

We need more threads like this

Yeaaaah...There's a reason philosophy majors are laughed at. Objectivism, Materialism and all the important schools of thought have already been discovered. Your "Man is like a noodle, let me elucidate:" adds nothing to mankind's knowledge pool.

how about this. nobody knows what the fuck is going on for sure. there is nothing wrong with imagining what could or couldn't be. but why do you say we are uninteresting cosmic trash lol? we are quite interesting.

You talking to the OP? He seems to think we're special. I'm the one arguing that the space we reside in is more special than us. I can express this to you as a mathematical fact, if you wish.

What doth life? Are we all just fleshy blips in some meaningless stew of cosmic oblivion? Or is it vice-reversa?

Duuudes actually lmaoing at this thread I love you OP ahahaha I feel so alive but I hate it i want to die

Yes. We're mostly meaningless. Nice, uh, formatting, I guess.

No matter how you look at the world, you're still unimportant. When you die, the world wont care, it'll just continue on.

I don't think we're special. I think that when viewed on such a large scale, we are so infinitesimally small that no matter what we do, we wont matter and that gives us the freedom to be, in some sense, special. I don't view myself as some important being in the world. But we are something to be understood as much as the space we occupy. You can view yourself as nothing or something unique because in some way you are both.

I actually like the idea that the space around us holds more significance than we do personally. Again it puts things in perspective. If the space I inhabit is so much more valid than myself, I want to explore and understand as much of it as I can in the time I have.

I meant trash in the sense that on a grander scale we aren't anything to write home about. Just in the scale of the known visible universe we are so unbelievably small that we may as well not be anything and still from a different perspective, say a bug or an atom, we are unfathomably huge

Circlejerk it somewhere else fellas, I'm posting spiderman

Exactly! So why not make the most of what you are in this moment? Seek out interesting shit, write a book, sit on your ass and watch netflix, it doesn't matter to the universe, it only matters to you.

if the universe is going to continue one way or the other, then anything that gets me down or seems like an obstacle is just as insignificant

Well, I'm glad I could grant you a new idea. (The speciality of space-time). If there are 4+ dimensional (physical space) beings, then were likely a grand simulation like The Sims with our pixels being Fermions, Leptons and Quarks. So that's kind of cool, I guess. Also, space-time 4-9 dimensional concepts will blow your fucking mind. Look them up.
Exhibit A to your "trash" analogy: Faggotus Maximus.

Also: the meaning of life is to give your own life meaning. This is the philosophy I subscribe to, anyways.

Faggotus Maxiumus sounds like your user handle on tinder
>we is socratese

Feel better about yourself and your choices yet?

Right now, >this moment
I totally am bro.

I've been researching dimensional physics and shit alot more lately. I think i read at this point there are 11 accepted dimensions.

I'm also interested in the concept of biocentrism. It's this idea that our consciousness shapes our perception of reality rather than reality being some concrete thing. That in some way we are more of an antenna for some kind of sentience rather than consciousness existing in the brain.

Some kind of theory based around the dual slit experiment in which you're observation of a particle passing through a material with two slits causes it to accept an actuality and pass through one slit or the other, yet once you look away it acts more as a wave and passes through both at once.

All we are is dust in the wind. Dust. Wind. Dude

Am what? Get your grammar sorted out, user.

Funny how dust and wind come out of your ass everyday. Especially right now.

That antenna thing is pseudoscience horseshit, in my opinion. But yes. Higher dimensional reasonings are insane in complexity.

Frequently so. I'm not pretending to be smarter than I am. If someone came to me right now and showed me proof for or against anything I've said, I'm all for that. I simply enjoy exploring the idea that many different things are possible and the concept that we can make any kind of sense of this shit

I just think it's an interesting thought. I can't speak to the science of it because I'm not a fucking scientist. I didn't even go to college. I'm just a dude on the internet that likes to explore new things

Ignore the troll, user. Feeding hem makes them grow. Like fucking Gremlins. And judging by the repressed hostility foaming out of him, I'd bet he doesn't need to grow any more. If you're into philosophy, check out Materialism, Objectivism and read some classic Greek philosophy works and some Ayn Rand.

I think more primal animals operate on a simple consciousness that allows them to not have to know anything about the complexity of the outside experience. Ignorance in the single lens of straight raw emotion would probably be bliss in comparison to our daily self-imposed stresses.

The disconnection from nature because of our brain complexity must be somewhat responsible.

Yeah. Until you're a bunny and escape death by canid multiple times a week. Insects have it best. They don't even have a nervous system to feel pain with. Humanity is one of the cruelest creations of evolution of you think about it. Knowingly mortal. Transition between primate and ?, Squishy. Filled with a complex network of emotional responses and pain receptors. Capable of profound suffering. Can't spell Evolution wihout Evil. Kek.

I think there's even value in discussing things with people who come at you with some hostility. If anything else it offers some perspective of what other people in this crazy mixed up existence are perceiving alongside you.

I'll definitely read more into those things. I'd just like to clarify that through all my philosophical ramblings, they're just that, ramblings. I like to have a healthy understanding of both philosophy and science.

For all the speculative out there shit, there are definite quantifiable concepts that we can prove and explain how things work. But that's the fun part. Finding some new and bizarre way of thinking about the world and then seeking out to prove or disprove that idea. That's what science is and it's cool as hell that we can do something like that.

Thinking of "out there" concepts not based in reality is how you wind thinking you literally ARE a TV character. I'd avoid that "Accept every ideology" path if I were you.

The bunny doesn't necessarily understand that on a conscious level though. When a predator comes at him like a bat out of hell, does he really understand what's happening or does he simply react on a biological impulse. It understands that it is hungry, or thirsty, it understands that it is in danger but does it understand the implications of those things?

That fact that as living things we have a further understand of how we ourselves and the world around us operate is in some way beautiful. We have the ability to rise above our own nature to some degree.

A rock doesn't understand that it's a rock, it's just there. We have the opportunity to shape ur own existence in a way that to us in this place is unique and interesting even if it doesn't register on a larger scale.

I feel like as a whole, we have kind of moved away from that feeling, this idea that everything has some kind of interest or value s knowledge and it's just fucking sad.

You never know how early or late we are on the evolution record for our species. If human survival were to persist for hundreds of thousands of years more (by a literal miracle scenario let's pretend), what physical changes would we have? I like to entertain the idea that we are hybrids with aliens from ancient times but let's leave it at that. Maybe most of our painful aliments will be resolved in future generations?

Like I said, there are clear concrete concepts that can tell us things like, "I don't live in the tv". We have a way of understanding the world around us and yet we still haven't even scratched the surface of what is possible. So while I like to imagine a world where anything is possible and there might be some crazy far out explanation of everything, I take it in strides based on the quantifiable evidence that can actually define how things operate.

I don't accept every ideology but I take value in the fact that these ideas exist. If we don't learn about the concepts and ideals that shape the lives of other people, we are never going to understand one another.

Well, I can tell you right now, homo sapien's spine hasn't adjusted to upright walking yet. In like 10k years. From walking on all fours as primates. That's the reason for 90% of our back problems. So will we get "better?" Probably.

I mostly agree with you, but let me elaborate. For instance, if you subscribe to that idea that states our perceptions of reality is flawed....Then how do you know you don't live in a TV? See what I mean. Some incorrect ideaologies open the door to believing MORE incorrect ones even easier than you would have without the prerequisite ideology.

To expand on the fact that we just don't seem to want to learn anymore, a lot of our science and innovation have become fueled by somewhat counterproductive intentions.

Any more it seems like we build things or discover something new purely to further some agenda. And the sad thing is in one way or another it's been that way for a very long time.

I mean fuck the entire reason we even went to space in the first place was entirely due to geopolitical ideologies. We were trying to beat the Russians in a mad dash to further some political agenda.

It wasn't a sense of wonder or inquiry. We simply wanted to make sure Comrade didn't touch the big grey thing first.

We've moved away from the desire to explore and learn in favor of purely grounded, close minded ideas.

I wish I wasn't at work. This is a great conversation. I'm the same guy you've been talking to. [email protected]. I'd like to continue this.

Some things I'll agree just branch into a realm of pure speculation and fantasy. If you take this theory of everything at face value then yes you could say that the world is really made of ice cream and we're just too perceptually blinded to realize it. That's why we experiment and test theories to discover and prove the ideas that we come up with.

There was a time when believing the Earth revolved around the sun would have gotten you laughed out of the room. Our concept of the world and how it works evolves as we branch out and test such things. That's why an open view of things while still keeping with established provable fact is so important.

The bottom line is, we really don't know shit about the universe. But there is a major difference between the possibility of something and the probability that something does in fact exist.

Something can be theoretically possible without having a direct corresponding probability that it is.

You know guys, I'm glad we're having this discussion now of all days. I fear this Easter Sunday will bring the attention of the world when North Korea bombs Seoul while the Vice President visits there. Just paranoid idealizations of mine, but it seems like the best time for Kim Fatty to give a name for himself.

Glad you know that difference, there. Theoretically, all my empty space could align with solid atoms in the Earth allowing me to just slide through the crust. This is probabilistically absurd, however.

Bump
Also is it me or is captcha asking you to click more and more? Either the fucking click till numbers disappear or the two step street signs ones
Swear they used to be simpler

Nah. The street sign ones have done that for forever. You see 3, click three, then the last one you clicked turns into street numbers 5 more times before you can click verify. Fucking infuriating.