This man has defined your the majority of your music taste...

This man has defined your the majority of your music taste, and you probably didn't even know who he was until you reverse image searched this image.

Other urls found in this thread:

pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/727-vespertine/
google.com/amp/pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/8104-lateralus/amp/
www1.zippyshare.com/v/b1M0Et3i/file.html
www1.zippyshare.com/v/2P69liGF/file.html
www1.zippyshare.com/v/yMHS3SI1/file.html
www1.zippyshare.com/v/aRt7AShl/file.html
www1.zippyshare.com/v/n4lfujeZ/file.html
www116.zippyshare.com/v/Z6iIHGsz/file.html
www116.zippyshare.com/v/iL0VzjEK/file.html
www116.zippyshare.com/v/3CEvSdd6/file.html
www116.zippyshare.com/v/2Yjvnm4Q/file.html
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22159-the-philips-years/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have never read a pitchfork review in my entire life, and I have no plans to, because I don't need my opinion validated, or to complain because they didn't like what I like.

i dont use pitchfork cause i'm not a pleb

>This man has defined your the majority of your music taste
Wrong
>and you probably didn't even know who he was until you reverse image searched this image.
Correct

You don't have to read of use Pitchfork to have it influence your taste you retards lmao.

Pitchfork clearly influenced the Sup Forums canon, and it is clearly probable that the Sup Forums canon influenced your taste a lot.

Don't lie, you dumb p4kdrones.

>it is clearly probable that the Sup Forums canon influenced your taste a lot
where did I ever post any albums I like? this has to be the single most retarded assumption I've ever seen. congratulations

Haahahah, not really you stupid cunt.

Been finding music in my own since the early 00s and never ever read a fucking p4k article in my entire life. So yeah stop projecting yourself, moron.

You didn't, obviously, but by judging the average Sup Forumstant taste, I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't at least a LITTLE influenced by the PITCHFORK EMPIRE.

Yeah the same old story of every Sup Forumstant every. Spoiler: it's a lie for internet indie cred

>implying I listen to hipster muzak like Animal Collective and Grizzly Bear and whatever the fuck
Sorry man but no

Oh right, you're into the underground rap scene, or the pseudo-intellectual avant-teen scene right?

Or perhaps ur local DIY emo scene cause ur so ironic and unique.

I liked him in game of thrones

Who did he play?

the BBC

Tyrion Lannister

if someone isn't going to fall for the p4k meme then why the fuck would they fall the Sup Forumscore meme?

ive read like 3 p4k reviews ever desu (the shins, tim hecker and of montreal) so i highly doubt it.

>tfw I unironically would enjoy the Pitchfork Fest outside Solange
am I a p4k drone and I didn't even realize it? I can't remember the last time I even went on the site and I found the lineup via this guy's twitter after reverse image searching.

considering I am older than him... not at all

You're still missing his point. Sup Forums is not some vacuum, and neither is the rest of the internet music scene nor the individual/local music scene. It doesn't matter if you've read that specific website's publications or even that specific author's work, because maybe your friends did, or maybe someone on some other forum did, or maybe someone at your local record shop did. In fact I would argue influence is rarely direct and is mostly indirect. Maybe you are one of the outliers on this board that doesn't listen to any indie rock or """indie rock""" or (((indie rock))) or however you wanna stylize it, but the fact is that the majority of the board does and so your post doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.
For me personally, he's probably had an influence on the music that I've found but to assert that he's had any impact on what I've found to be of quality is at least a bit dubious, and I would say the same for most people. Most people, especially most people who come to the internet for music recs, aren't going to blindly praise things just because the "authority" does, and would in fact be more inclined towards contrairianism, especially on Sup Forums.

The reality is, most people aren't drones for specific critics, those critics just help people find what they would already have liked. Whether those critics be p4k reviewers, Fantano, the Village Voice, or Billboard reviewers, they'll always attract the audience that would want to be attracted.

this
great post my dude

>What is Scaruffi
>What is Fantano
>What is rym
>What is Christgua
God you're a fucking idiot.

What's it like to be 40+ and browse and post on Sup Forums, unironically? I am curious. I'm nearing 30 and I feel old on this website so I'm really wondering what it's like to be in your shoes.

Ian something

I think it's Ian Cohen

And I don't like Pavement or Arcade Fire so he ain't got shit on me. I grew up listening to Ryan Adams and reading this dude be all like "mneh mneh mneh Ryan Adams is a shitty ersatz Paul Westerberg suck my ass I'm Ian Cohen go listen to Fleet Foxes or some other limp shit."

I still hang around for the BNM's cuz they're at least worth listening to.

You're lucky that looks like Dave Grohl or this would be quality bait

It's fooking top, man.

I actually knew who he was. I hated his guts ever since I saw that awful review he wrote about Elliott Smith's "Figure 8" where he introduced it like a total cunt saying "Oh Elliott, are things really that bad?" This numale faggot can go get stabbed in the heart twice just like Elliott did.

"Shit, cat. It don’t make a difference."

early p4k is best p4k

or do you prefer things are now? literally anyone could be writing these reviews and it wouldn't matter.

>and it wouldn't matter.
It never mattered.

I mean, I was never a big fan, but they are certainly more generic now.

>who is scaruffi

pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/727-vespertine/

this guy is a giant pleb

idc desu

>Pitchfork clearly influenced the Sup Forums canon
I have only heard maybe ~1/3 of the essentials chart and I don't really care to hear any more than that because it's already helped me identify what genres I enjoy the most.

shit like this is what made the site great

I mean if you think you're "patrician" for liking bjork, you need to listen to more music

I'm a fan of Tool and The Mars Volta who are hated by p4k so no

I don't think p4k (or Fantano or Scruffy) have even reviewed my top 25.

Pitchfork hates tool? Im not even a huge fan of tool and i know theyre ridiculously good.

google.com/amp/pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/8104-lateralus/amp/

I wish I could be there for your nervous breakdown when you find out all of them have. And that they say the exact same shit about it you think you're so special for thinking. Eat shit.

p4k use to be good, I've found a lot of great artist thanks to his website, maybe now the condition of p4k is a confusing when it comes to their politics, but there are still some good writers, and they still review interesting lesser known artists I like

I'll look but I doubt it.

It didn't, I hate this board. I have never gotten a worthwhile recommendation here outside of neofolk threads which are definitely not p4k-related.

>it's a lie for internet indie cred
>some people actually believe this

Why are you so assblasted? Generally if your main musical interests don't fall under indie/hip hop then Fantano isn't going to cater to you. Scaruffi isn't much help if you're not very into Psych/Post-Punk/Krautrock/Experimental.

not that I think you should listen to more music off that shit list but "because it's already helped me identify what genres I enjoy the most" is a horrible argument. Not only because there thousands of music genres outside of what is represented on that chart but because the representatives of the genres on the chart might not be characteristic of their genres as a whole.

I'd rather dig deeper into something I already know I like instead of hoping that the 8th Post-Rock album I check out doesn't bore me like the other 7 did.

I checked. They haven't.

I really think my first argument is more substantial than the second. Why learn to love genres that other people say you should listen to instead of discovering genres that match your culture and interests? Actually, thinking in genres instead of scenes seems limiting in itself.

>>What is Scaruffi
someone who acts contrarian to p4k and literally says about it in his reviews thus is influenced by p4k?

>>What is Fantano
someone who's heavily influenced by p4k?

>>What is rym
a website with people whose opinions are influenced by p4k?

>>What is Christgua
literally who cares about his opinions on here?

Like hip hop for example. So many here try or say you should explore and like something in genre. There are so many different genres out there, it's bizarre to me. Explore what you like, not what others do or say.

Is that whole thing some kind of elaborate ruse?

the idea that every review on rym is influenced by p4k is ludicrous

okay find one (1) that isn't and post it here idiot

if you thought that's exactly what I mean you're most likely retarded

if that's not exactly what you meant it was a rather pointless comment, wasn't it?

What? No!

>if that's not exactly what you meant it was a rather pointless comment, wasn't it?
ok, you are definitely retarded
p4k affects the scores of albums on there, and there are lots of people on RYM who care about p4k whether they hate or drone it

He hasn't.
I listen to every recording I can by every artist I listen to and then choose my favorite.
I doubt pitchfork has even listened to or reviewed any of my favorites.

you literally cannot find one (1) review on the INTERNET period that is not influenced by p4k except for online archives of people who wrote for publications before p4k

p4k is THE music publication for the online era and trying to deny that because you think it affords you some kind of status is ignorant and borderline delusional

This.

>I don't like Hip Hop
>"You know it's not just about drugs and bitches and what you hear on the radio, right? There are plenty of lesser-known artists with so much more to say. Why don't you expand your horizons?"

>I don't like Ambient
>"Cool"

honestly, at this point, if you literally haven't found any hip hop you like, you're a fucking racist

Nah that's Allmusic.

epic

>I'm a tasteless fag who lets other people's opinions influence my own to the point where I exclusively only believe them

Good to know faggot, now do us a favour and kill yourself

You're right and everyone else here is an idiot. A lot of shit is popular because of Pitchfork and other review sites. There's no way MDBTF would be so revered if p4k didn't give it a fucking 10.

What Kind of music is this?

Exactly. Some people on rym are influenced by p4k's opinions. However, it follows from this that only those album scores to which these people contribute are influenced by p4k while the scores of those albums outside of the interest of p4k haters/drones remain untainted.

Really? I honestly never heard of it outside of Sup Forums and I have never known anyone who read their articles. I don't think that being the first of their kind and setting the standard for how music reviews are written and published is quite the same as "defin[ing] the majority of [the] music taste" of the readers of every non-p4k music review ever.

You two are severely overemphasizing the influence that website has. Its influence on both top 40 worldwide radio pop and small undergound scenes is minimal as it is concerned mostly with the hip middleground of indie alt-pop bullshit. It's influence on non-American music scenes is even lesser.

I don't know but it looks like black people music.

broken beat, jazz, future jazz, soul, turntablism, downtempo, acid jazz, turntable music, funk, breaks, stuff like that

>Dego - A Wha' Him Deh Pon? (broken beat)
www1.zippyshare.com/v/b1M0Et3i/file.html

>Mark De Clive-Lowe - Tides Arising (broken beat / jazzdance)
www1.zippyshare.com/v/2P69liGF/file.html

>eRikm - Zygosis (turntable music)
www1.zippyshare.com/v/yMHS3SI1/file.html

>Smoove + Turrell - Antique Soul (modern funk/soul)
www1.zippyshare.com/v/aRt7AShl/file.html

>4hero - Two Pages (broken beat / drum & bass)
www1.zippyshare.com/v/n4lfujeZ/file.html

>Flow Dynamics - Flow Dynamics (breaks / funk)
www116.zippyshare.com/v/Z6iIHGsz/file.html

>Daytoner - Sunburst Radio (trip hop / breaks / soul / downtempo)
www116.zippyshare.com/v/iL0VzjEK/file.html

>Greyboy - Soul Mosaic (future jazz / downtempo)
www116.zippyshare.com/v/3CEvSdd6/file.html

>Silhouette Brown - Silhouette Brown (broken beat / soul)
www116.zippyshare.com/v/2Yjvnm4Q/file.html

give me an example then

give me one example and I promise I will admit you're right and suck you off

Thanks man, sounds cool. If these are your favorite albums, does it mean you havent listened to a lot of classics, or do you not like them? I find it hard to believe that no well known album would be your favorite if you Explored them. Or is it just the way you went about exploring music?

"La colonna sonora della mia disperazione."

So 80's hair metal (such as Ratt, Warrant and Queensryche) and The Beatles are Sup Forums canon? Cool.

I've listened to most of the essentials and classics and there are lots of dance music classics like The Prodigy I love but their singles artists. Rock has never interested me either so theres that too.

>Sup Forums canon

Fuck off with your shitty forced meme

what the fuck is this you fucking retard?

Sorry. Wrong post linked to. Meant to reply to

A rym review. Explain to me the influence p4k had on it. The album is BWEWTSS if you have to know.

He's like a subpar version of Ned Ragget.

No Soul/funk or hip hip you like?

9.1 for Nina

pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22159-the-philips-years/

Yeah actually, Innervisions, Lets Get It On, Lady Soul and others would be up there but I prefer my hip hop made on the wheels of steel and sans rapping.

4hero - Creating Patterns too

you worthless slime

that album came out before p4k was even around you stupid faggot

try again. find me an album that came out in the last five years that is RELEVANT and find a review for that not influenced by p4k

if you think my terms are unfair you can kill yoruself

>even though bjork is only enjoyed by less than 0.1% of the world population, its not obscure enough!
Fuck hipsters

"Those unfamiliar with Germany’s Apoptose are missing out on one of the strongest contributors to the dark ambient genre. Normally saturated by the likes of Lustmord and the well-known throng of CMI staples such as Raison d’être and Desiderii Marginis, the meek and modest Apoptose rarely get a look-in at the top end. However, Apoptose is deserving of much more notoriety than is currently received, chiefly due to the immense amount of focus and variation that goes into each release. Apoptose’s music is not filled with long swathes of dark ambient backwashes, its intention is not to drop you into a ‘dark zone’ and let you meander around for an hour without handing anything else to you. Each album is an exploration on a particular theme, filled with variety, thick ambience, atmosphere, wonder and discovery, all without overboiling the pot.

“Bannwald” is wholly dedicated to witchcraft, specifically witchcraft and the lore of the forest. The entire album drips with symbolism and references to it, of which it’s important for us to delve into to gain a full understanding of the 50 minutes of music which comprise this release. The word ‘Bannwald’ refers to a specific untouched forested area, a wooded wilderness which is allowed to develop on its own with no interference or influence from human intervention. The Bannwald exists within the Kellerwald [“bare forest” or “charcoal forest”], a low mountainous region in Hesse, central Germany, which is subject to special conservation status. As a result of its conservation, much of the Kellerwald thrives with its own natural life, with ravens, black storks, peregrines and red deer being some of the main inhabitants. But the inner Bannwald seems to take on a life of its own, and being left to evolve as it may, it takes on a certain natural mysticism and sentience. It’s little surprise then, that the literal translation of the word ‘Bannwald’ is “spell forest”.

cont.

The photography for the album art is exquisite, evoking the natural mystique of the forest as one might well expect. Even though such imagery is all too common within dark ambient and black metal, there’s something more genuine and apt about its usage here. A detailed examination of the front cover reveals an inverted photograph of a figure with arms outstretched, reflected in a forest lake. But closer scrutiny reveals it to be made of the same rough bark as the trees around it, implying that this being is something born from – and part of – the forest itself, reminding us that we are all part of nature when many of us see ourselves as distinct and separate from it. The artwork reminds us of our impersonal, replaceable nature, our inexclusiveness among the rest of the natural world whilst hinting at the higher spiritual potential lying deadened within so many of us. One of the most striking things about the cover is the stark resemblance the wood-man bears to the humanoid stick figures that appear hanging from trees in the excellent film “The Blair Witch Project”. The similarity seems too striking to be unintentional.

The track names all have a link to the theme of witchcraft or forest folklore. “Die Drei Schwestern” [The Three Witches] is an obvious reference to the trio who control and plague the events of Macbeth. “Hexenring” contains a female vocal chant of the well-known Merry Meet as sung by Liz Crow and Heike Robertson from the Museum of Witchcraft in Cornwall, England. The way the track begins with the light, upbeat vocals only to gradually slide into a more baleful but melodic ambient piece is a clever and affecting concept. As it progresses, the song makes continued references to the figure of Baba Yaga, a haggish witch from Slavic folkore who lives in the forest and consumes children.

cont.

The duo of “Vivian Und Wiebke” and “Berkanas Traum” link to each other rather fittingly. Vivian and Wiebke [the German version of the Norwegian title ‘Vibeke’] were the names of two storms which hit Germany back to back in the Winter of 1990. These storms caused widespread destruction to the forests of Southern Germany, the worst thing about them being they hit almost immediately after one another. The track isn’t a particularly tumultuous affair itself though, and seems to reference the calm between both storms on the 27th and 28th February, a period when most people didn’t know the worst was yet to come. “Berkanas Traum” [Berkana’s Dream] references the rune Berkana, that of feminine energy and rebirth, presumably mentioned here to hint at the rebirth of the forest after the preceding storms. However, it’s vital to note that the Berkana rune is that of the birch tree which, due to their flexible nature, represents youth and fecundity. It was for this particular trait that birchwood was most commonly said to be used by witches for making broomsticks, a concept whose roots lay in fertility rituals where dancers would ride broomsticks through fields, the height of jumping signalling how high the grain should grow in the coming year. Berkana has a far more positive side though, representing new life after death and the bond between mother and infant. Nevertheless, Apoptose’s titling of the track as Berkana’s Dream seems to imply only a hope for rebirth and nourishment, rather than the reality.

cont.

While being rich in symbolism, it is the music of Bannwald which is by far its strongest point. It is an album deeply involved in the mysticism and importance of the forest and how it develops its own spiritual life, how witchcraft is a naturally occurring practice springing out from the woods themselves. The album’s sound is rich, melodic and unsettling, with each track having its own personality, strength and signature cadence. By far the greatest of these lie in the excellent “Hexenring”, “Haltet Euch Fern!” and “Ein Jahr Und Ein Tag”, all of which contain the creaking, dense whispers, chants and melodies of the deep woodland dusk. Even though Bannwald bases itself heavily on folklore, it’s still very much a work of sinister dark ambient, but one which concentrates on the darker, minimalistic essences of folk inspired by the blacker domains of creation. It speaks to us and resonates with centuries of ancient traditional knowledge. It is alive as much as nature.

Being involved heavily with the magick of witchcraft and access beyond the veil of worlds, Bannwald seems most appropriate in the time of Samhain and its following darker months, a period in which it really comes into its own. It is the spirit of a deeply dark and natural realm, its authenticity coming across with searing conviction. Bannwald is not only a touching work of dark ambient – but an emotional and beautiful one – something which is sadly rare within the genre. Like Apoptose’s other albums, his deep understanding and attachment to the meaning of his work cedes excellent results, and therefore Bannwald is not only an album, but a timeless sacred rite. With six whole weeks of the dark half of the year to go, it’s still the perfect time to appreciate this work. This spirit will then rest before its reawakening next Samhain.

--originally written for Heathen Harvest--"

Now don't tell me this album is not "relevant" as the relevance of it is well explained in the review.
Just for deomstration purposes I'll try to find an album that was reviewed by Pitchfork though. Which is turning out to be harder than I thought but I'll probably find one.

Got one!

"Advaitic Songs is simply masterful and elegant. The album title comes from a Hindu system of thought in which the 'Advaita' (literally 'non-dual') refers to the self (Atman) and the whole (Brahman). Everything is a part of and made of one nondual conciousness.
The cover Represents an orthodox icon of John the Baptist. This figure is of great importance to understand the main themes of the album.
According to biblical sources, he announced the arrival of the Messiah.
"And John Called To Him two of His disciples, and Sent Them to Jesus, Saying: Art thou he That art to come, or look we for another?"
Luke 7:19
John the Baptist is also present in the Qur'an as one of the great prophets who preceded Muhammad.
"[He was Told] 'O Zechariah, indeed We give you good tidings of a boy Whose name will be John. We have not assigned to any before [this] name.'"
Surat Maryam 19:7
"[Allah] said, 'O John, take the Scripture with determination.' And We Gave HIM Judgement [while yet] a boy."
Surat Maryam 19:12
Thus he is the constant presence of the precursor in the spiritual life of humanity.
So here we are transported to another place, another time; an archaic time among the sandy dunes and the incense fumes, in which all humanity began.
Amid Middle Eastern sounds, mantra and prayers, the album stands out for two main reasons: originality and evocativity.
The innovative aspect of the album is given mainly by the different sounds that compose it. where once was a privileged one great cyclical riff, now there is an enrichment of instrumental and compositional details in which the basic riff is allowed to flow between the various instruments.
While the evocative side stems from Middle Eastern-flavored percussions, strings played sometimes softly and others more intense decorated with piano chords, the whole fused into an ancestral and timeless spirituality.
Let's smoke some psychoactive weed and begin our mystical trip!

cont.

Addis (05:33)
The song begins with a female voice who recites the Mahamrityunjava Mantra (The 'Great Death-conquering Mantra', or, 'Mantra for Healing'):
"Om tryambakam yajāmahe sugandhim pushti-vardhanam
urvā rukamiva bandhanān mrityormukshīya māmritāt"
(Rigveda 7.59.12)
Here's a simple translation of these two verses:
"Om, Three-eyed one, I meditate on you, who increase fragrance and nourishment. From powerful disease, bondage and death free us into immortality."
For the mantra could be effective, it is repeated for almost the whole song, giving it a sense of mysticism, thanks also to the excellent water-drop effect of the tabla drums, timbrels and strings sound.
What a great start, isn't it?

State of Non-Return (06:07)
It is true, there are few moments of this album where you can identify that active duo of bass and drums typical of their earlier work, and this song is one of those moments. In fact it starts with a good cymbals work and a bass riff that winds in the middle. However, the selfishness (if one may define it so) of these gives out to leave space for a more subtle and moderate conclusion.

Gethsemane (10:26)
Excellent bass work that shifts to cello and then returns, like a sort of call and response between these two instruments. I also appreciate the drums that keeps its attention to the whole song even with the soft sound of timbrels. Awesome bass riffs before the end.

cont.

Sinai (10:20)
The song starts with the Talbiyah, which is a muslim prayer recited by the pilgrims who intend to perform the Hajj (the pilgrimage to Mecca).
"Labbaika Allahumma, Labbaik, Labbaika laa shareeka laka labbaik. Innal-Hamda wanni'mata laka wal mulk La shareeka lak."
Which means: "Here I am, O Allah, here I am, there is no partner for you, Here I am! Surely, all praise and blessings are for you and dominion is Yours. There is no partner for you."
As the prayer ends so begins the bass riff, repetitive, mantric, followed by the drums and then the cello. The whole played on a mystic melody which goes on until the end.

Haqq al-Yaqin (11:25)
Haqq al-Yaqin is the third and last level of Yaqin (generally translated as 'knowledge' or 'certainity'). This last level is known as the knowledge by the unity of subject and object, the total reality of Certainty, i.e. as supreme truth. This last stage is attainable by an elect few. Once destroyed Maya through the knowledge of Brahman you shall complete the path of walayah or sainthood.
The whole song sounds tribal and mystical. Tabla drums, cymbals work and the cello are fused into something metaphysical and brilliant. As soon as the cello stops the whispering voice of Al Cisneros takes its place and vice versa.
So spiritual and masterful!"

I don't see much in common with the pitchfork review.

What if I have found hip-hop I like, but it's all by white artists?

His name is Ryan Schreiber. I'm pretty sure anyone who has read Pitchfork knows who he is, user. Don't have to reverse search the image.

Well, some Rolling Stone canon influenced Pitchfork canon, so what?

I'd rather say that Wire had defined my taste, because it's true.

Most Sup Forumscore is entry level af and not even the best work of the artist. This hero of yours breeds tasteless trendhoppers wh repost the same albums and artists tirelessly. At least scaruffi isnt afraid to give a good rating to something like korn just because its not cool t like.

it's like if George Lucas and Tom Cruise had a son