Hey Sup Forums. What would be the fastest and best way to learn how to code?

Hey Sup Forums. What would be the fastest and best way to learn how to code?

Other urls found in this thread:

activejump.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

be white

which language?
also, probably buy a textbook and read it while actually doing the shit it says.

Fuck
Any textbooks to recommend? I know literally nothing

Textbook works, lots of online resources too

Willem Dafoe's MiniMe

the slow and painful way.
Yes, the slow way is faster than any "quick" way, as you might build a flawed foundation.

As I said, I literally know nothing, so what would the slow way be?

W3schools. I learned HTML and CSS with an hour a day and W3schools. I don't remember all of it, as this was a year ago and I've not used it since, but it's a fantastic site

codecademy.com

If you're looking to just do it fast you probably won't do it well. It's gonna be a long arduous process if you're doing it by yourself.

look at hackerrank, chose a popular language like Java, C++, Python etc and run with it.

I'd start with C, pick up The C Programming Language 2nd edition by K&R

>programming
>HTML and CSS

top kek

I'll check this shit out.

It has other stuff too... Shh. I also hosted the site I made on a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian for a month or two, that took some work

I also set up a tunnel to get access to it from a company computer, through all the firewalls and shit

Depends what you want to do, and what language you want to code in. I found this chart accurate and quite fun.
I'm a C++ game dev myself.
If that's the path you're interested in, there's a couple of book that I could recommend.

c is probably the best place to start. c++ and c# are two of the most useful, and basically everything major is generally similar to c. also #fuckjava

ya fair

>writes python code
>no errors, nice and neat
>writes c#
>"WTF does that do?? Is that a loop? WTF is going on anymore..."

Also, I said "no errors"... kek in my dreams

A lot of people say that C is a good place to start, I say it's a good place to start if that's where you want to end up. Just start with the language you want in the long run, imo.

freecodecamp is good has a good community that will help you out too

depends on if you want to be a code monkey or a proper developer. any proper developer is going to need to know a lot mroe than just one language. and basically everyone is going to need to know sql.

These should take a year working full time to get through, and is a very good start. Every book except the first one should work for any language you want. As I said earlier, if you are into game programming, I've got a bunch more.

C++ Primer (5th Edition)
Stanley B. Lippman
*ISBN-13:* 978-0321714114

AntiPatterns: Refactoring Software, Architectures, and Projects in Crisis
William Brown
*ISBN-13:* 978-0471197133

Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
Martin Fowler
*ISBN-13:* 978-0201485677

Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
of course by the Gang of Four.
*ISBN-13:* 978-0201633610

Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications (3rd Edition)
Grady Booch
*ISBN-13:* 978-0201895513

Data Structures And Algorithms in C++ 4th edition
Adam Drozdek
ISBN-13: 978-1133613053

The first one is simply getting started, and understanding how everything works, and is a good reference to get back to when you don't understand something.

The middle four books are stuff any programmer should be familiar with, and should be read through at least once. Esp. refactoring and anti-patterns.

The last one is, as you might have guessed common and usefull data structures and algorithms. It covers anything from sorting algorithms to quad trees. It called "in c++" but really works for any language, it just semantics.

/// I know this might sounds like A LOT of work, and it is. But don't be discouraged, just focus on one thing at a time., divide and conquer!

You don't know what you're talking about. K&R's book on C? Really? That's one of the worst books, and worst modern languages, for a beginner...

OP, I really don't know what kinda programmer you want to be. If you just wanna make money, you might want to learn javascript and web-based languages (SQL, JS, maybe look into query libs and MVC stuff). If you want to go into desktop or backend programs, start with Python, then learn C++, then C. If you're into 3D gfx or games, learn a language with a game engine, like C# or JS with Unity engine, or any open source engine that won't require C++ (do that later). If you are into math and science, do Python, maybe do some C++, then start looking into declarative languages. (ocaml, scala, haskell. I personally don't know a lot about this). Wanna prpgram for mobile (apps)? Learn Java, or objective-c. Safest route, learn Python first imho. Then, you'll figure out what you want from there.

Try asking this on Sup Forums, as they will be able to give you some very good book/resource recommendations

C++ is basically C with more shit on top. You will learn all the C-specific things as you go, instead of having to unlearn what you already know.

I started with C++, while a lot of my friends started with C. I can definitely say they struggled a lot more than I did when it came to writing object oriented code for example.

Could I become employable in a year from scratch? I really enjoy programming, I'd like to do it for a living, been cutting my teeth with Python over the last month.

No don't do that. Download Microsoft Visual Studio and learn C#

Try looking into a coding bootcamp for that.

Yeah this.

If I got an associates in Com Sci and read this list of books and understood and could apply the material could I be employable in a year? I could get an associates in 2 semesters for 2k and would rather not dish out 10k.

This list:

start with python it doesn't take long to learn the basics and the syntax is easy and simple

Dabbler with experience, W3 schools basic programming, then move onto c#, java or python.

The rest is up to you, most don't use the big 3 at all due to legacy systems still around/kernel and chipset access aka reprog circuits/gates.

Unless you go the unity route, then c# is the best way to secure work.

OP won't learn how to code as learning to code is too much like hard work. He thought he could become a coder in a couple of days.

Typical entitled faggot

activejump.com/

Yeha probably. I mean do the 2 semesters thing and if you don't hate it, you can get a job.