/lang/ - Language Learning thread

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/JN01tWVF
italki.com/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

pastebin.com/JN01tWVF
>Few more resources that didn't fit into OP

Great thread

It's suffering these past few weeks, but that's expected, how much can you talk about learning a language anyway.Are you learning a language?

I think you should remove duolingo, it is worth nothing. After(if) you finish you wont know any more than the first two or three chapters of any book and it will take you much more time. Not only that you are working for free for them.

Hmm.Well I don't think it's as useless as you say it is, it can be if you treat it like a game and just look at the answers and go through the thing.But you can learn a lot from it if you practice daily and the only reason it's on OP is because it's completely free, there are much better resources out there for sure but they are not as easily accesible and/or free.I also don't mind being a shill for duolingo as a side effect of these threads as it helped me quite a lot I have to say.

Who /swahili/ here?

So What language are you learning?

Why is Hebrew so fucking difficult?

>5 more days to brush up on my german to at least B2 level after not speaking it for 20 years

I've skimmed through 2 books and it's a hopeless endeavour. Speaking a language is definitely not like learning to drive a bike.

I started learning Russian just a few days ago. Hopefully I can stick with it. I've been pretty interested in it for a few years now.

I'm just learning Swedish for now.What language are you learning?

HelloTalk is full of normies

Well, if you have any quastions about the grammar, vocabulary or anything related to Russian ask me. I will help you.

Damn, the french subjunctive is hard.

Je n'étais point sur que vous vous fussiez douché!
Il était important que j'en susse!

Are these correct? (I know they're posh af)

Tips for consolidating vocabulary.

GO GO GO GO

Learning English. To be more specific, I have to learn more vocabulary. Although I know how to make sentences, I sometimes feel like I don't have enough words for expressing what I've got in my mind.

Immersion

Another trip I'm Starting

Does Hebrew have weird gender rules for verbs?

Well you can try these but I imagine they are also full of normies

italki.com/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/

Listen to radios, watch movies/TV programs and read a lot. Don't forget to practice pronunciation.
HelloTalk is a great app for learning languages. You cam chat with people around the world and have calls. Besides you can know qt's

who learning italian hier ?

I use forvo, but I can not consolidate it well.

Me.

These are correct but no one uses imperfect subjunctive in everyday speech. Even in written language it's rare.

Saluton, amikoj. Kiel vi fartas?
toki, jan pona o. sina pilin seme?

What level are you at Esperanto, and how many hours did it take for you to get there?

I'm not sure what my level is, but I can read and write Esperanto at an intermediate level, and hear and speak Esperanto at a beginner level. I became confident in Esperanto after about a year.

That shit looks like Finnspañol. Who can you find to speak that with anyway?

What's the go to book for Persian?

ok spanish bros, pls help me out. I understand the basic concepts/ rules of using the subjunctive (i.e. verbs with influence, uncertainty), but I've been watching El Internado recently and it seems like a bunch of the time they'll use subjective when I would have expected indicative.

Is it more or less up to the speaker sometimes (like a sentence could possibly use either???)

Also how the fuck can anyone understand Cubans

If you come across examples, write them down and post them here, otherwise it's hard to know what you mean.

But it's one of the things foreigners usually consider the hardest.

Knowing when to use the subjunctive is definately the most difficult aspect of Spanish.
Are Cubans the ones that drop their s' at the end of words?

Anyone else get bummed out when they think where they'd be if they stuck to a language they gave up?

I first started Italian ~8 years ago but i rarely stuck to it for more than a couple of months and after a period of months/year i'd start again spend 2 weeks catching up 1 month learning and then give up again for 6 months.

Fuck i'd be fluent now instead of barely able to understand simply conversations and read basic native materials :(

Why subjunctive for these 2?

пpивeт мoй бpaт, кaк дeлa?

я нe дyмaю, чтo здecь ecть дpyгoй aнгличaнин

why do we only use the prepositional for just a few of the prepositions? in в, o and нa we have to use it but not for the rest..need an explanation or rule for this one

Any Rusbro or Russian-speaking user mind sharing his learning material?

I don't think it's possible to become fluent in anything without complete immersion desu. maybe take an extended vacation to Italy to make up for lost time

Nigga there's thousands of perfectly fluent English speakers who never set foot in the UK/US here.

git
gud

that's a false comparison because English is omnipresent in all parts of Europe throughout childhood.

You vastly over estimate the presence of English in Europe.

The EU is not a US colony senpai.

It doesn't matter who's a colony of who; the fact remains that someone born in France will be exposed to English from cradle to grave, especially in childhood, in the form of things like video games and television shows. The opposite is not true for Italian, especially in Great Britain.

All video games, movies and tv programs are dubbed here, you dummy

>let me tell you how your country works

top kek

Buddy, the French government can't go through and dub everything on the internet which is the primary mode of consumption for young people.

>top kek

not an argument

>video games
dubbed by default
>tv
dubbed by default
>netflix
dubbed by default
>facebook
all in French because they normies are monolingual

need I go on?

How about I don't teach you about burgers and you don't tell me how English is taught in France.

Don't speak Spanish, but I imagine it's similar to Italian, where the subjunctive can be used with a restrictive function.

So, the places THAT you have discovered (and not the other places).

i look at my phone a lot since we're in 21st century. so i just decided to change my language settings in x language.

it's pretty effective imo

phones are bad for you

and so is eating a girls bootyhole but we all do it anyway.

yeah what the italian said. Also Native-ish (I stopped speaking it as my primairy language of conversation some years ago, as a result my Spanish is perfect) but it also seems to have an air of meaning as "places that you may have discovered" "places that you may have heard of". It definitely also gives an air of fanciness.

I haven't :((((

does your mom's pussy give an air too?

Spain spanish is retarded. Just replace hayas for has.

No, it's authentic and you version of Spanish is retarded.

says the guy speaking retarded Russian

I know that Russian is retarded without you telling me.

American delusions concerning the use of English in non-speaking English countries are hilarious. They probably use it to justify their own incompetence when it comes to learning languages.
>t-they can only speak English because they've been exposed to it since childhood
>i-it's the only way to become fluent, I-I'm not retarded/lazy

started learning latin... i really like it

You have no fucking idea

Hebrew has more gender confusion than tumblr

Mi feliĉas vidi alian parolanton de la internacia lingvo

Can you read this?

I don't have any learning partners so It's really hard to motivate myself, some days i just give up, then start over again.

What language are you studying?

yes hello where are my fellow students of the uyghur language?

t. Naoki Watanabe

hello max

Starting with the Turkish TeaTime podcast.
Lesson 1 was Hello how are you
Lesson 2 way harder with sentences, too steep curve. See pic.

Well this is just showing you simple stuff one uses all the time while constructing a sentence.If you think this is boring or too early try doing Pimsleur before you get into grammar rules, you will progress faster that way.

who /íslenska/ here? im studying because i want my own norwegian to be less influenced by latin/greek. for example i would rather say "saga" than "historie", or "allmennt" instead of "generellt"

But saga is also used in other languages like Dutch and German.

yes, because those are all Germanic. the word "historie" (in both Norse and Dutch) comes from Latin "historia", whereas "saga" is a Germanic word.

I don't see why one would make that big of a fuss of which words to use though. being against plopping English words down in every non-English sentence is a sentiment I share, but words that have been taken from other languages hundreds of years ago don't bother me.

hello my anal sniffing brother

Any good grammar books for german that fellow learners could recommend?

There are a lot of people who speak it, and a lot of websites/forums/messaging groups for people who speak it.

Ankaŭ mi. Ŝajnas ke Esperantistoj ne plu afiŝas ĉi tie tiom ofte.

bmp

Are you learning a language user?

Turkish

Kolay gelsin kardeş.

did you just call me a fascist?

You wish, you can't block our plane for this Mr.Rutte

beni de söylebilirmisin user
ben de öğreniyorum

feels good to know that my insignificant nazi banana republic will soon be re-added to the democratic people's republic of Turkey

Sana "kolay gelsin" demeyeni yesinler yavrum
Kolay gelsin kardeş.

Based.

sağol canım benim

I'm learning english and german

Viel glück.

oda bulun kizlar

kimsin lan

Anyone learning Hungarian?
I feel so lonely

think about cubans like niggers speaking spanish, that's the trick
chileans are the ones you won't understand

anenini satan pezevenkim

>los peruanos no saban hablar español
mejor dedicate al quechua tiraflechas

turkmusun balım

hayir, çerkezim oglum

You start a lot of these threads, Turkey-Chan, thanks. I'm interested in what languages you know yourself.

Spanish, like most Americans. I'm actually getting pretty good. I know basic grammar and my vocabulary isn't bad

he niye turkce ogreniyorsun o zaman?

>basic grammar and vocabulary
>pretty good

shit I must be amazing in Turkish then

(((spoiler: im shit and i'm turkish myself)))

In America that's pretty good. Most people don't know a foreign language

ogreniyorum demedim ki, cocuktan hatirliyorum

simdi rusça ogreniyorum, cerkezler ordan geliyor