/daily/ thread - deep fried edition

"B"

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/list/hprill/chet_baker__the_essentials/
apothecarycompositions.bandcamp.com/album/choir-and-room
youtube.com/watch?v=5Ao5mg11xIk
soundcloud.com/pcmus/snow-globe
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jim_orourke/united_red_army__soundtrack_/
youtu.be/weDSliJBvuU
youtube.com/watch?v=JUTKTk60aGk
i.imgur.com/zqhXdu1.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=gUqH6Weyr2M
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99040
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bantastic bedition

:ok_hand:

Damn I have never seen this, nice pic

yes I was :-(

god dangit bobby

Whew, doing Roxy & Elsewhere next, then I've actually finished a freeform chart

[1/2]

Coin Locker Kid - Traumnoville

Definitely has one of the most unsettling atmospheres I’ve found in hip-hop. Really soul-crushing stuff, with a homemade, lo-fi feel. I couldn’t stop thinking of Daniel Johnston when listening to this. Not amazing, though it has some nice moments.

3/5

Snoop Dogg - Neva Left

Phew, Snoop’s solo discog has been a wild fucking ride.

Did it take Snoop this long to figure out how to make a good modern record? He hits everything I was hoping he would throughout this past decade. Old school beats, with that little “C.R.E.A.M” piano riff on the intro and a Tribe sample on “Bacc in the Dayz”. And at least above-average lyrics. It’s still a little long but at 60 minutes, it’s miraculously short for a modern Snoop record. He doesn’t rely exclusively on guest features but he doesn’t struggle on his own, bringing in features when they’re needed. There’s actually some quality control on here.

Musically, it’s a weird mix of super old school stuff and more modern trap. It isn’t the heavier trap production of Coolaid though (which still worked weirdly), it’s a lot lighter and poppier which I like a little better. There’s even some funkier cuts, with “Go On” (is that Pharrell?) and the “Vapors” remix.

If you expect this to be anywhere near his peak though, you’ve obviously paid absolutely no attention to my earlier reviews (wouldn’t be surprised). Snoop sounds kinda old and his flow is way slower than it used to - but he makes it work. He throws in some nice references too with the NFL references all over “Swivel” that despite being pretty corny, I loved.

Anyway, surprisingly consistent for a modern Snoop record.

Leon Thomas - Blues and the Soulful Truth

If you were unaware, Thomas is the vocalist that does all the yodeling all over Pharoah Sanders’ Karma. On here, he’s surprisingly normal, with Thomas mixing it up between funk, blues and soul. The more standard tracks are groovy as hell - but the weirder ones are what make it stand out. The 10 minute “Gypsy Woman” is a wild ride, with avant-garde jazz instrumentals flying all over the place and Thomas’ vocals only adding to the weirdness. It also sounds like someone is setting off fireworks during this track? I wouldn’t be surprised if they were. Probably the closest I’ve heard to his work on Karma. “Shape Your Mind to Die” is also a nice slow-burning, afro-jazz track with some bizarre vocals as well. "China Doll" may have some bleh lyrics but the whole atmosphere of the track is pretty fantastic.

Honestly, the only track that doesn’t do much for me is the cheesy cover of “Boom Boom” but the rest of the album more than makes up for it imo.

Rainbrother - Tales From the Drought

A folky, almost slowcore-y release from this year. Super slow cuts, passionate lyrics and cool instrumentals. Definitely a great addition to this style, which happens to be one of my favorite sounds in music.

Not much about it is remarkably different than other music in this style but I really dug it.

sorry about posting your oc meme last thread luckily no one saw it

whats good

>whats good
pretty much all of it except naked city and fire orchestra

sun ship
spiritual unity
eternal rhythm
electric bath
birth of the new cool
astigmatic

all great
lanquidity is good if a bit overrated

>that paris texas score
pleb
my gifts, sun ship, godspelized, spiritual unity, swiss movement, awakening, sonny's dream, astigmatic, asante

chet baker sings is mediocre and it's a shame with all the other great stuff he has that's not as popular

i feel like i'll probably like naked city, dunno about fire orchestra

what other sun ra would you recommend? i've not heard any records from him yet

im pretty sure space is the place is great, i can't bring myself to rate it for some reason tho

i think it was you that put me onto swiss movement and awakening, been meaning to listen to them for ages

and same question to you, what chet would you recommend?

Some GOAT stuff here. Astigmatic is an undeniable display of genius, one of my all time favorite albums. Don Cherry and McCoy Tyner are always worthwhile. I do like Lanquidity, but it's in a way different style than his freer stuff he's better known for. Sun Ship is of course off the wall. I keep meaning to get to this damn Electric Masada album. Never cared much about Ayler or Zorn desu

>whats good
all of it except the jazz LMAO XD

(hype chart tho)

Depends on what you're looking for. My favorite is Chet's Choice, a very tight trio record full of great interplay with both frenetic moments and slower parts done beautifully. Chet in Tokyo, or Diane (if you're looking for a quiet austere duo) are also good picks.

oop i shedded my trip

In the end, I'm following this list and I also recommend it highly
rateyourmusic.com/list/hprill/chet_baker__the_essentials/
also yeah I think I put Pharaohs and McCann in some playlist I made you.

>pretty much all of it except (...) fire orchestra

Space is the Place is very good indeed, check that one out.

2.5 is average/boring, 3.0 is above average/enjoyable but not something id return to often, 2.0 is bad.

i'll probably listen to space is the place too then since Lanquidity is different

agree desu, i'm just listening to all this jazz to keep up my cred as the music aficionado of my friend group

i'll check these out too

and yeah it was, Freedom Road has got so much play from me, dunno why it's taken me so long to listen to the album

movin slow but we movin

Lot's of work /daily/ but I still get to have a moment of musical escape every now and then.

Listened to the new Tony Conrad release. Liked the way the violin was surrounded by bass-like tools but it was way too long imo.

*lots of, wew

Anyway, that was my shitpost of the day. Good night /daily/!

lots of wew

thesound. Overall: 3.50
>Richard Abrams - Levels and Degrees of Light
I started off not being a huge fan. Didn't really enjoy the vocals of the first track, and it was just simply too slow. However, it really picked up the second, and eventually peaked the third. The combination of the bells in the third track (I think that's what those are) along with the birds chirping actually sounded pretty fucking cool, very light and brassy. I really wish the rest was like this, but it was still a great album overall. Really loved how free and airy it was.
4/5

fuck pic didn't update, oh well

siq

>Lolina - Live in Paris
don't run away from that title. if there has ever been an album that isn't a live album, it's this. This plays more as a radioplay than an album, with Lolina splicing lo-fi field recordings of random British ramblings over top of virtually unaccompanied synth melodies. I've liked previous Hype Williams related projects in the past, but this is the first one to truly live up to the insane nature the duo has made for themselves.

>Looking Through Sheets -ghosts again
Was suggested this through my Deep Internet list. Electronic sound collage with a decent amount of thought put into it. I like how the artist plays with the differing audio qualities of the samples being used. Recommended.

>Bill Laswell and Terre Thaemlitz - Web
Very clean ambient that still manages to feel corrupted and dark. Perfectly summarizes the internet-user experience.

>Jim O'Rourke - Despite the Water Supply
The way the strings fade in, maintain their form just long enough to know them, and then instantly begin to fall apart, even before they finish fully emerging, is unreal.

>Eric La Casa - Secousses panoramiques
A collection of short field recordings. Weird to say this, but this was a very well made album, disregarding the quality of the field recordings. The isolation of imagery from the audio leaves the listener with what could be mistaken for a normal, great drone EP. There is a great level of restraint to each section, knowing exactly what to hold on in the semi-natural landscape. Really engaging release.

>Chip Shop Music - You Can Shop Around But You Won't Find Any Cheaper
not much happens. nice n bassy.

>The Gero-P - s/t
One of Gero's most normal releases. "We Got Normal" was remastered into the one track everybody liked off Moen Hai. Fun release. If you know Gero, you know what you're getting.

>Loren Connors & Jim O'Rourke - Two Nice Catholic Boys
The two just never start working off each other well enough honestly. Never been big on Connors. I like the contrast used between the light and heavy sounds at points.

>Burkhard Stangl / Taku Unami - I Was
Unami tries to assemble a papercraft doll while submerged in Jell-O, soundtracked by Stangl.

>Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher
Fun glitch hop record slowly fizzles off into boring instrumnetal hip hop record with some clicking sounds here and there.

Other stuff worth shouting out:
>夕方の犬 - Choir and Room
by the guy who did that one dog album. no samples on this album. blends new age choral synths with lovely piano compositions. truly the most modern of all classical.
apothecarycompositions.bandcamp.com/album/choir-and-room

>Poppy - Computer Boy
Her best single track since Lowlife prolly. Everything is excessively catchy while still feeling like more of a song than a jingle, which is an issue a had with a few of her recent tracks.
youtube.com/watch?v=5Ao5mg11xIk

>Dux Content - Snow Globe
One of those tracks that I just never got around to listening to. One of the most climactic pieces PC has ever released. The comparisons to Disney songs are appropriate.
soundcloud.com/pcmus/snow-globe

>can't find the first album on the new chart
good.

what is it

in fact post chart

>18 rhythmic studies for a pen, a cassette case and a korean cassette deck
i think it's best you dont find it....

>Pharoah Sanders - Tauhid
Man I love that intro with Sharrock and the percussion, the slow build up with Sanders' sax bursting onto the album 10 minutes in, it's definitely the stand out track on the record for me. And Japan is a really pleasant interlude, I was kinda surprised when I saw reviewers complaining about it being racist or disrespectful, I didn't feel that way in the slightest. Coming out of that, the closer flows brilliantly between the whole band playing wildly and serene moments of Sanders' sax. I absolutely love Sanders from the few records I've heard so far, he puts such feeling into the music. 4+/5

>Pharaohs - Awakening
Yup the record lives up to Freedom Road. That track still blows away everything else but that doesn't mean the rest of the album isn't funky as shit. The tinges of free jazz just complete the puzzle. 4/5

good start to the chart but I knew I'd like these 2 anyway

nice, pretty happy with the response it's got

shhhh

that feel when there are sweaty men ripping up your bedroom carpet for the whole day so you cannot listen to Music (tm) in peece

what was O'Rouke thinking when he made this lmao

put on some Alcest ;)

I can't help but enjoy Snowglobe, even when the singer sounds like a Disney Princess

>what was O'Rourke thinking
"i am a genius of jazz pop arrangement"

>SSHX vs Kanzler
Neither of these albums did anything for me.

Novelty Condom wins.

oh i can rec?
no restrictions right

this desu

yes
correct

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jim_orourke/united_red_army__soundtrack_/

Moves Like Jagger

joe henderson - inner urge
i think youll tortsally like it :^)

anyone here been to Iceland? i'll be there Weds - Sun, trying to figure out some stuff to do

Haven't been but it's p much my dream destination along with St. Petersburg so have fun man

go see the northern lights and try to not annoy the huldufolk

more like Jäger

youtu.be/weDSliJBvuU

Comet. Overall: 3.17
>Negativland - Fair Use: The Story of the Letter U and the Numeral 2
The story/ concept of this was amazing. It truly is a story of copyright, and the struggles artists like Negativland face because of the overwhelming weight of restrictions. It's eye opening, and it really helps you understand one dark side of the music industry. I think that was the purpose of this record, to show listeners like me a huge problem that we aren't aware of. We take music for granted, while so many artists are getting fucked by the record labels and all the big dogs out there. This is what they were trying to show us, and they did it very well through the use of tape recordings of those for and against copyright restrictions. You get to hear the intimidation and pressure from the voices of the oppressors, but in the same track you also hear the resistance towards these pressures. It's truly more like a historical narrative, rather then a piece of music you listen to for entertainment. Because of this, everyone will rate and view it differently, depending on how much weight he/she puts on concept and narrative, rather then the music itself. If someone was able to weigh a record entirely based on its narrative, then I would understand this getting 5/5s frequently. Personally, I think both should be considered, and while I think they told an amazing story here, the musical aspect of this record was decent-semi enjoyable at best. It is a sound collage/ plunderphonics album, and I won't say they did a bad job musically, but I wouldn't applaud them in this area either. Overall, it's an great record in narrative but a decent record musically.
3.5/5

this was super happy and cheesy

nothing great but I had fun listening to it so I'll give it a 6

>dedekind cut - the expanding domain
this is quite good. compelling musical ideas + varied/interesting textures = good electronic stuff.

back for another round of blapp loves every album
>Canaxis 5
super mindbending plunderphonic-type ambient stuff. rod has a rym review that sums it up better than i can.
>Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You
ok.. i dont think i get it, guys. it sounds like something i should really like, but it just didnt click for me. its nothing like fake train. the long songs were awesome, but im trying to get a grip on the other songs. i just feel like im missing something. idk. ill keep listening.
3.0+
>Solex - Low Kick and Hard Bop
really fun album. i loved the mashup of different genres in its plunderphonic styles, and the vocals were tight too. it had a sweet groove throughout, and its really dense.
>Vaperror - Acid Arcadia
damn, this was more dense then i thought itd be. its super textured and layered and fun, im upset i missed this last year.
>Polly Bradfield - Solo Violin Improvisations
I got really lost in this album. I didn't even realize when it ended. I'm no violin player, but I was definitely racking my brain on how she made some of the noises on this album..
3.5-
>Don Cherry - Eternal Rhythm
Yeah, I can't pick between this and Mu for the better album, they both just kick so much ass. I love the addition of Gamelan on this album, and even though its free jazz, it finds itself in these awesome grooves so often, especially towards the end of the second part. Just awesome all around.
3.5+
>No Trend - Too Many Humans
yeah, its an alright album, but it absolutely reeks of Flipper. i dont see why i would listen to this over Flipper, in fact. i listened on youtube and the up next video was flipper. one of the "right now on ebay" posts on rym was flipper. moral of the story: just listen to flipper, like im doing right now.

good post read it like the newspaper and I agree with everything you said, also surprised to someone else with similar taste noticed vaperror

Shit I missed your thoughts on Mindly Rotten, glad you liked it though

lol thanks
id say vaperror is decently popular with the other guys in this thread, at least acid arcadia is.
my thoughts were basically the same as the review u wrote for it. super fun album.
btw you should hear sadness will prevail by today is the day. ive been listening to it a lot recently and i think youd get a kick.

i think leaves is a slow burner for sure, it was for me at least
there was just one listen where i realized something along the lines of "these are all great songs wtf"

yeah fake train was kinda like that for me, now i love it. im just gonna keep listening to leaves and if it doesnt click after 3-4 listens or so, ill give up.

>Hot Rats
no

youtube.com/watch?v=JUTKTk60aGk

hmmmmm

9/10
not even joking

i love how good of a jazzlord repellant hot rats is

half way through
best first impression im getting from a DG thing in a whiiile

Holy fucking shit I had a dream that DG released something last night. It was vivid too.

the ENERGY

didn't this band "break up" a couple years ago lmao

great release though damn

pls dream im rich or smthn thanks

i live here so shoot if you got questions
also depends on what kind of trip youre on

its jst a casual vacation
any "insider tips" or "iceland essential sights"

oh hey
neato

>Crouching Tiger Hidden Gabber Megamix
best death grips title yet

Aitt here are some pointers

Cool shit is mostly outside of reykjavik like gullfoss and geysir though they are swarming with tourists, still worth seeing but you can look into attractions around town to find stuff that looks interesting but isnt as popular if youre more into that since there are plenty.

I'd highly recc renting a car, if thats not possible some sort of bus trip could be worth it I imagine, blue lagoon is alright too but I can't say if its worth visiting cause I don't remember anymore how I felt about it initially. Skip anything to do with northern lights, its summer there aren't any at the moment.

Ask a local to add you to a facebook group called skuttlarar, its something like uber to an extent but through a big facebook group that like 1/3rd of the population is in. There's usually at least someone giving rides available and it's ~3x cheaper than taxis which are stupid expensive here.

In general everything is very expensive, like really really expensive. Don't buy any clothes unless thrifting and check trip advisor for dining places that won't bankrupt you. Also never buy in 10/11 stores they are tourist traps and if youre going to drink stock up on booze in duty free or better yet at home and bring a hipflask to hide in your jacket pocket when downtown, a shitty lager at a bar will run you 10 bucks here, maybe a little less on happy hour same with shots. Of course if money isnt an issue most of this isn't useful but some may be good to know.

Just remembered

>Named the album Cherry Bomb because Greatest Hits sounded boring

out of nowhere today and laughed out loud

moz is a big boy

>death grips without mcdonalds
huh

he likes mcdonalds can u blame him

MC Donalds isn't there

thanks a lot dude
super helpful

np if you have some questions or something I know the town pretty well and am lurking here more again so shoot whenever

Shit, been there for extended periods twice. Favorite place in the world. Golden Circle, Vík, Isafjordur. These are the places to see. Plenty of cool coffee shops to hang out in. Perfect place to relax, regardless of what you do

sounds great
i've been really looking forward to it

Michal Urbaniak’s Group - Live Recording: Polish Jazz 24 (1971)
>Jazz Fusion, Jazz

Weird listen. It’s hard to place this album on the spectrum of free improvisation to elevator music, as it features a peculiar mix of ideas that often clash unusually. The songs on this set have an audible monotony about them, and I found it often losing my engagement. The improvisational elements come off as too calculated, and the lack of interplay unfortunately places this farther toward fusion than jazz. The band is perfectly capable, but their musical capabilities don’t shine through exceptionally well in this recording. The set certainly grooves, but it’s much too safe and subdued to reach any meaningful height.

5.5 /10
(*better than Hot Rats)

Best new OP image oh my god
>Thotology

i.imgur.com/zqhXdu1.jpg

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads (1996)
>alternative rock, singer/songwriter

Judging by my love for Skeleton Tree and literally nothing else Cave has ever done, I adore him as a personal songwriter. He can make his voice really heartbreakingly gruff, and he knows the exact way to drop a line or change a melody so that it packs the most emotional punch. His character/story based songwriting is a lot more hit or miss, and this album is a whole lot of misses. If he played it straight it could be pretty good, but the attempts at vulgar humor are really lousy and they take me out of the worlds Cave creates. There is some really good storytelling here, but this humor and Cave’s various hammy voices really hurt the experience. The music is also pretty unmemorable, there are some decent melodies here and there but it’s mostly standard piano-based singer/songwriter. There’s a punky explosion on “The Curse of Millhaven” that’s really cool, but it’s the only memorable musical moment on the album. PJ Harvey and Kylie Minogue’s vocal appearances make me went them to do music in this style, because Cave’s performance is too damn hammy for me.

2.0+

This Ukrainian singer/songwriter looks like that girl in the reaction image Comet likes to post

this kills the s

youtube.com/watch?v=gUqH6Weyr2M

whomst bumping that good shit

>Murder ballads is the best cage album
STOP PERPETUATING THIS MEME

I M M E D I A T E L Y

everyone knows smegma has shit taste outside of 60s jazz

Does anyone on /daily/ happen to have a DL link to pic related? I checked Soulseek and the archives but searching for classical pieces frustrates the shit out of me for some reason

It's on rutracker but only at 192kbps

The Ciccolini version? Do you have a link? I can't seem to find it through the search bar

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99040

Awesome thank you man!

When a NIGGER gon do it

This has two good songs and otherwise is kinda bad.

Yeah literally that. It's a step in the right direction though. Even for mainstream music, maybe

for real like it's totally not that bad. I really liked Me and Your Mama and Redbone, but I just wish these Alt-R&B Neo-Soul artists could make an album with more than a couple good tracks because they're obviously really talented. Best Gambino album by far for sure though.

Glad you liked it! You might wanna check out Anthony Braxton's stuff. Kinda surprised you didnt like the beginning since its very atmospheric and dark.

Now relisten to This Heat.