Muh 3 chords, boring drum beat , and derivative bass riff for 20+ minutes

>muh 3 chords, boring drum beat , and derivative bass riff for 20+ minutes
Truly innovative.

they they fucking suck.

Whats going on with the swans shitposting lately??

>mfw the knot

>implying complexity and/or "effort" is what makes something good

So Paganini is better than Bruckner?

Releasing the same 2 hour album 3 times in a row isn't good.
inb4
>B-But the drums are jazzier!

That wasn't implied

Its just the one chord actually

I don't think being "innovative" was the point.

>muh leaving your body and flying though the universe

Neo-Swans is basically an edgy pleb version of Can

>>implying complexity and/or "effort" is what makes something good

It does though.

>So Paganini is better than Bruckner?
Never heard of those bands, but I'm gonna just assume yes.

>Never heard of those bands, but I'm gonna just assume yes.

>I will go on Sup Forums today and make bait posts

>the album their fans like most is literally just a collection of experiments and shit they would use for a movie
>older music is just arena rock
>post punk era is just girly softy shit
>post rock, muh same chords
>muh repetition
their live shows aren't that better either
>DUDE CRAZY TALK LMAO
>I'm going to play the same chords for over 5 minutes
>better jump every time to keep it interesting XD

You had me interested up until now. Congrats; you played yourself.

They're "experimental" music for nu-males

This is a truly interesting topic. I'm wondering how exactly to reply to "muh _________" though. It's a pretty impeccable argument.

Maybe I was fooled into liking these guys. Turns out they're not good :0

I hope you guys are just pretending to be retarded.

>being innovative is the only thing that matters

this but you can't deny the sheer creativity and originality in their older music

I saw swans live in leeds 2 days ago! Michael Gira signed my vinyl! It was such a powerful gig to be at. Not much music. Lots of noise.

>Early Swans
Let's make boring repetitive heavt music for artsy kids too pussy to handle punk and metal!

>mid era Swans
Let's make repetitive as fuck neofolk with six minutes track that only have two sections. And we think pop music is bad with two or three sections repeated in three minutes.

>muh mastapiece SFTB
Apparently all you gotta do to make a masterpiece is find a bunch of old shitty tape recordings and mash them together. Because putting together decade old peanut butter and ranch dressing together tastes so good!

>cash gr-I mean revival Swans
Oh man Sonic Youth and Glenn Branca are sssooo cool! But we suck at our instruments so we can't exactly pull it off. Hey, I got an idea. Let's simplify the harmonic overtones that make this music style worth listening and add gimmicky twinkly sounds on the side!

You seem upset

God this fucking thread.

Even for bait this is bad

What a surprise, Swans fans are so butt hurt that they can't even defend their beloved band and just make comments about me. Maybe it's just how low IQ Swans fans are?

>Let's make boring repetitive heavt music for artsy kids too pussy to handle punk and metal!
More like lets rip off the same Black Flag song for 4 albums

Rest is fairly accurate

t. butthurt Swans fans

>went to see Swans the other night
>every song but one is just a 10 minute crescendo, then Michael Gira flailing his arms like he's treading water and moaning into the mic for another 10 minutes
>the only great song was Screen Shot and Gira even fucked up the lyrics

3/10 not worth it

>IM NOT MAD
>YOURE MAD

Who are you quoting friend

Lol

I am pretty sure the ones who just attack the poster with shit talk are more likely to be mad than those who lay out detailed points.

have you ever listened to a punk album?

Yeah, what does that have to do with my post?

DUDE
LOUD MUSIC
RANDOM NONSENSE
LMAO

This might be bait, but as someone who composes music, I'm of the opinion that arrangement and dynamics matter a lot more than how many chords you use. I'd argue that the exact chords you use, how they're harmonized with the other elements, and the instrumentation surrounding them matter far more than "how many chords u use?!"

>I'd argue that the exact chords you use, how they're harmonized with the other elements, and the instrumentation surrounding them matter far more than "how many chords u use?!"
True, but Swans are terrible at all of these as well.

>Detailed points
>Just said music is repetitive and boring

Don't think so

DAE SWANS DEATH GRIPS NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL SLINT GRIMES KENDRICK XD

Half of those are good musicians/bands

You don't decide what's good or bad here, user.

good thread

I disagree. They're not exactly drone pros like Tangerine Dream but they're pretty good, I think.

>older music is just arena rock

What? I don't like them but what the fuck are you talking about?

Soundtracks is probably their best album and quite a good portion of that is shitty crescendocore and amateurish attempts at musique concréte

Apart from their first couple of albums they sound so gimmicky and trite. The only way I can imagine people liking them is if they're fairly new to "experimental" music

>mid era Swans
Let's make repetitive as fuck neofolk with six minutes track that only have two sections. And we think pop music is bad with two or three sections repeated in three minutes.
The only thing i can agree with you on.

And The Glowing Man is album of the century no contest.

two if you counted god...

wtf i hate swans now

this

>the same
fuck, I fell for the bait. shit.

yeah man you gotta stop listening to swans. those Sup Forums guys are gonna get ya! ;)

Haha me too!

>Paganini
>Bruckner
>bands
m8...

try again but this time articulate your point without using buzzwords.

Underrated joke.

I know right. I saw them live and I didnt realize they released a new album. The one with the retarded plane on it. For 2 hours I saw an old man make funny noises and jump around every 15 minutes when something new happened in the song. I was hoping for the baby stuff.

>buzzwords
Nice buzzword

Yes I do
YOU FUCKING RETARD PLEB

reminder that gira has a small penis

wtf i hate swans now

youre fucking dead kiddo

I think that i'm not going to come to Sup Forums for the next few weeks
you all should be hanged

I'm going to have to agree with this. I loved Swans early output, but right at about Children of God is when they started turning into wankery. I saw this in 2014 for the To Be Kind tour, hoping for at least an interesting live show but goddamn if it wasn't just a bunch of Gira masturbating his guitar for 20 minute intervals. One of the few concerts I've ever been to where the vast majority of the crowd were reduced to checking their phones in the middle of songs in a desperate bid for some sort of entertainment while they pretended they were actually enthralled to be there (they weren't).