I'm looking to listen to Swans. Should I listen to their huge discography in chronological order or?

I'm looking to listen to Swans. Should I listen to their huge discography in chronological order or?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Up3hmLCr830
youtube.com/watch?v=7HNKiQazIXA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just listen to the bands they ripped off instead.

I've only heard their latest shit, I'd say do that. Anything The Seer onwards. It's not what I call accessible, but it's fucking worlds better than their old shit.

Typical Sup Forums proletarian scum

Only "listened to" their new shit, I should say

Nine Inch Nails
GYBE
Iggy Pop and the Stooges (Fun House especially)
Earth
Godflesh
Melvins (lysol)

Who else?

Is this a joke? Lol

Everyone always recommends a bunch of their old albums but I'm pretty sure 75% of Swans fans on here started with To Be Kind

>I've only heard their latest shit
>it's fucking worlds better than their old shit

I'm in the same position. I've listened to Filth a couple of hours ago and I expected it to be in the realm of The Pop Group's Y. Aggressive, political, dissonant, honest and atonal. It delivered that, but it didn't deliver the connection and the emotinal pull Y did. On which albums did they come close or did what I'm describing?

Maybe if you're a newfriend. SFTB and Filth are the standard starting points.

Listen to To Be Kind, then The Glowing Man, then Angels Of Light albums (specifically Please Come Home and We Are Him), and then go back to Swans and listen to Filth, and then just go up chronologically.

White Light From The Mouth of Infinity
youtu.be/Up3hmLCr830

Thank you. I can't wait to listen to more of their albums.

Just go chronologically, even if you don't enjoy all the styles they've played it's still worthwhile to see the progression. It should only take you a week or two to get through all of the albums at a pretty relaxed pace

You shouldn't listen to their older music first unless you're used to the new wave sound. Their earlier work was meant to be exhaustive. Children of god is the best to start with IMO. It has the aggressiv side of the band and the majestic side.

filth is objectively their best album

Meant to say "no wave" sound

To be kind is a terrible one to start with. First time listeners would just find it boring. Especially the first track Screenshot which is 8 minutes long and doesn't even change much which would put people off.

filth and cop might be jumping into the deep end.

i say start with soundtracks for the blind

Terrible idea

its how i did it...

I'm:
After listening to Scott Walker's The Drift I'm not sure if any album at all could possibly be as emotionally exhausting as that one. Why would Soundtracks for the Blind be a bad starting point?

THisI started with SFTB and had no idea what I got myself into.

OP listen to Filth, Greed & Holy Money, Raping a Slave, then their new shit from 2010 and on.

Oh and after listening to that go wherever you want from there imo you should start with those.

>Nine Inch Nails
>GYBE
kek

This is better, skin/world of skin stuff is pretty notable too.
youtube.com/watch?v=7HNKiQazIXA

That's why I always post this chart, it explores the side projects pretty damn well

Good work.
I'd post their "24 hours" track, but it's not on youtube.

>Next update probably coming whenever the next Swans album is released.

Yeah, sure.
Whatever, man.

>he doesn't clench his fist
>he doesn't resist temptation
>he doesn't flex his muscles

Yes, start chronological, it's going to make more sense. Also listen to the live albums along the way, trust me. By the time you get to Soundtracks, it will all make sense.
This is just an awful opinion

Haha, those were my starting points. Listened to Filth, then went directly to SFTB, was confused, then went back and listened to it in order and by the time SFTB came around, I had completely forgotten how it sounded so it was liking listening to it for the first time again and I was blown away.

Soundtracks and Filth are their only decent albums

Black Flag
Suicide
Death in June
Joy Division
Wire
This Heat
PiL
Can
Faust
Glenn Branca

>tfw discovered Swans through youtube comments
>I had not ever used Sup Forums at the time
>explored all of their music for nearly six months, appreciating each individual album for weeks before moving on to the one with the next-most interesting title
>now I'm a Gira dickrider that reveres and has paid for nearly everything that he has released
I went through this way, though I won't separate the non-Swans material into albums:
White Light -> Soundtracks For The Blind -> To Be Kind -> Children Of God -> Public Castration Is A Good Idea -> The Glowing Man -> The Seer -> The Great Annihilator -> The Body Lovers/The Body Haters -> Swans Are Dead -> Cop -> Filth -> Greed -> The Burning World -> The Angels of Light -> Young God -> Holy Money -> We Rose From -> The Gate -> Not Here/Not Now -> Love Of Life -> Body To Body Job To Job -> Feel Good Now

don't waste your time

test

chronological us your best bet, that's something like what I did. started at SFTB and that was a bad start, I was confused about the whole thing. then I went back and listened to their old stuff, and it blew my mind. how it starts out so hard and angry, and progressively gets lighter and more beautiful. by the time I got to love of life I was basically in tears.

White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity first, go in chronological order from there.

Check out Filth/Cop/Public Castration later if you're a bad enough dude

chronological is a good way to start but if you want something to blow your mind try soundtracks for the blind
heres a pic of swans frontman mikey gira

early stuff
skip soundtracks and pop stuff
detour to angels new mother
come back to new stuff, my father, seer, to be kind, etc

Their early albums are very aggressive, so don't listen to that shit if you don't like it
In my opinion, start with either The Burning World or SFTB if you want to ease into it

>burning world

We shud just make a playlist of their music of all their different styles. It's would do a better job ov introducing someone to their music more than an album could. We hav a chart that gets posted around every time someone starts a thred like this which is almost all the time. Lets make one for potential listeners

>playlist
yeah why don't we all just start sucking every cock in sight while we're at it

nope. there must be limits to spoonfeeding.

What ar you? a rockist?

go away, playlistist

I started with Filth, I still only like Filth. The Great Annihilator and Cop seemed boring, To Be Kind was alright but pretty long, The Seer was a snoozer.

>White Light From The Mouth of Infinity
this is maybe their most underrated record. beautiful, melodic, angry, sad. give it a try, loud loud loud

Children Of God then The Great Annihilator, Soundtracks for The Blind and then The Seer, To Be Kind and The Glowing Man trilogy