its that time of year boys WINTER MEETINGS

Melancon to Giants, 4y $60m+
Nationals in on Sale and McCutchen
Yankees out on EE

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/BNightengale/status/805835813162467328
southsidesox.com/2016/6/20/11972904/dear-jerry-its-over
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

mfw the nationals go all in on sale and mccutchen, completely mortgage their future, and choke in the first round anyway

Literally who can stop the giants now?

>The Dodgers announced today that they’ve officially re-signed left-hander Rich Hill to a new three-year contract. Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reported over the weekend that the two sides were closing in on a deal. Yahoo’s Tim Brown reports that Hill will receive a $48MM guarantee over the life of the deal

gints fucked up

lmao

that shitty contract for an aging reliever

we ouchea dog bros

we outchea

lmao

the giants offense

>Jints would've won their division and possibly the NLDS with an even reasonably competent closer
>They've now picked up one of the game's best closers, fixing their main weakness

How fucked is the rest of baseball?

delet this

is this a false flag? i can't tell anymore

probably

twitter.com/BNightengale/status/805835813162467328

Rich Hill apparently to Dodgers

Hey /mlb/, I'm doing a Sports Economics project that aims to find an optimum way of producing a baseball team based on WAR, salary, age, etc. I'm using BBRef as my source of data. I intend to differentiate between starters and relievers (and possibly closers), but I don't know what my cut off should be in terms of starts.

My example is 2001 Tim Wakefield who started 17 games but also made a bunch of relief appearances. How many games started is too much to be considered a reliever?

Nats don't have the prospects for Cutch AND Sale. Although after seeing how the Blue Jays absolutely raped the Pirates in the Liriano deal, I could be wrong

This deal confuses me. I guess it shouldn't because money doesn't matter in LA but he seems like he might pitch 100 innings a season.

>Giants already dedicated to "fully pursuing Brad Ziegler"

Giants FO needs to stop snatching up all the closers desu

Think about it this way, even if he does he's getting about the same amount as a closer...so it doesn't matter

Jewry Jewsdorf on Sale Trade:

"You have to have 4 prospects who can't possibly miss to get one. I've seen so many players over the years who were going to be phenoms, they were going to be future Hall of famers and we don't even remember what thier names are anymore. That's why when you're trading a player of stature you've got to get multiple can't miss prospects back. That's why it makes it tough to trade a player of great stature."

he's 100% right. people vastly overrate prospects, it's ridiculous.

Any chance someone signs him?

Astros!

I'm guilty of it. With sale you have to get mlb players as well. Can't just trade for the best 5 prospects because they could all bust.

Royals

Daily reminder that beating the Dodgers is equivalent to winning the WS for Giants fans

Reds

I'm serious

bamp

to this date, not a single dodgers fan under the age of 33 knows what winning a World series feel like

Makes sense. They have a shit bullpen that can't possibly get any shittier.

>Somehow manages to put together a great first half
>Team desperate for bullpen help trades for him at the deadline
>Blows 8 saves for them

You sure about that?

LA Dodgers 5
SF Giants 3

He's talking to Boston. They want Benintendi, Swihart and a prospect load for Sale...they could have had that at the deadline but instead they acted like morons and demanded Betts or Benintendi + JBJ.

They've wanted Boston all along for Sale, and now that they see Washington willing to play hard for an OF they want to keep them on the lure long enough to pull off Sale to Boston before shipping Eaton to Washington for Giolito and Robles. Keeping Rizzo on the phone for Sale is a way of boxing out Pittsburgh, Rizzo wont trade for McCutchen if it'll hamstring a possible Sale trade.

They want to come out of this with Benintendi, Swihart, Robles, Giolito, Devers, Kopech and some other nice things. As a who's fan I hope they do, but as a who's fan I know they wont.

PROPANE AND PROPANE ACCESSORIES

seeing hitters so tangled up they take fastballs down the middle on 0-2 counts makes me wet

We deal in memes, here. I don't know if there's a hard and fast rule for how many games a pitcher has to start in a season before he's considered a bona fide starter.

I'd say if he played the full season, got earnest and consistent use out of the pen and started 10 games or less, he's a reliever.

Cashman,

Thank you for learning your lessons on big contracts for aging players. Yankees fans all over the world are very happy.

Sincerely,

The fans.

>they could have had that at the deadline
>source: my asshole

>28 years and counting
>multiple entries
>300 gorillion dollars

>they could have had that at the deadline
lol fuck no

They demanded Betts. This isn't a secret or anything, Boston wanted Sale baaaad in July but they weren't going set their lineup back by giving up Betts or JBJ.

And then what, 2 days after the deadline, Benintendi gets called up? lol yea...not hard to figure that one out.

>Indians looking into Encarnacion to fill gap with Napoli moving on
>financial constraints could be the only roadblock

It will be the only damn roadblock. They still owe that shitass Chris Johnson $10MM over the next two years. He got paid $7.5M by the Indians in 2016 for being a garbage role player for the Marlins. Yet, Chris Antonetti won an award for executive of the year. Before that he had to pay Swisher and Bourn around $15MM. How does he still have a job?

the rest of their bullpen for one

I feel like this is applicable to Price. Probably 28 years since he last won a playoff start when he was in t-ball.

I hope he goes to Cleveland but I read somewhere they have never spent more than 60 mil on a free agent

Well it seems like the who's aren't trading sale unless an already established player is included. Which is smart because if the acquired prospects don't work out you essentially get nothing for a top 5 pitcher.

>They demanded Betts. This isn't a secret or anything
>source: my asshole

I'm a Bombston fan and I pray with all my soul Benintendi doesn't get sent to Chicago. Moncada should be the one on his way out, we have more infield depth anyway.

Themselves. They stopped building from their farm and started signing big contracts.

Threadly reminder

Benintendi, Betts and Moncada for Sale and Eaton

In my dreams as a who's fan.

Jon Heyman @JonHeyman 2m2 minutes ago
Nats are said to stepping for Sale. Meeting this aft. Red Sox are involved, and others, too.

Holy shit here we go.

>Sale for Sandoval

If I was a who's fan and they didn't get Turner, I would probably kill myself.

JUST

Eh I'm not sold on Turner. 63 of his 328 PA were against the Braves and he had an OPS of 1.424 against them. So if you trade Sale for Turner and dont get back both Giolito and Robles too you're buying really really high on a whole lot of bumslaying against the Braves.

Now if >we get all three of them I'm a-OK...but my feeling is if the Nationals are giving up Trea we'd be lucky to get even one of Giolito or Robles and would have to settle for Stevenson/Fedde and some other stuff as the rest of the deal.

Give me the quantity, its almost impossible to find a player as good as Sale back in these trades. The goal should be to find 3 or 4 good players to spread around the diamond.

I was actually thinking Turner, Giolito and Robles or Lopez as the package.

If we got those 3 I would do a fucking dance.

Rizzo on MLB network just walked back on Turner being untradeable.

>Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal 14 seconds ago

>Source: Sale to the #Nats for cash considerations

Not even close to that IIRC. The thing is that they're strapped after signing their players back as it is. The Swisher and Bourn dead money are finally gone, but they still owe Johnson the $16MM over the next two years. They're looking for another rental for a year or two. EE and Matt Holiday are the targets.

Over the course of a season, how many starts is too many to be considered a reliever? Or should a pitcher should be defined based on a certain ratio of starts:appearances?

Fair trade for both teams in my opinion.

>Nationals FO reportedly "devastated" by the Melancon deal. Multiple internal sources were convinced he was heading to Washington right up until the news broke.

Just watch it fucking happen too. Jewry would much rather have shekels over committing to his baseball team.

We're like his abused kitten in terms of his priorities, just let that sink in and we can meanwhile trade Eaton for either cash considerations or a lifetime supply of matzah balls courtesy of Jewry Jewsdorf.

These are the insane ramblings of a who's fan who has been hurt one too many times.

As stupid as he is, I still think he realizes what he has in sale. I probably shouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt but I'm optimistic he's done a good job with a trade. I'm probably going to be proven wrong though.

southsidesox.com/2016/6/20/11972904/dear-jerry-its-over

We'll just be left with op-eds like this to complain but unfortunately until Jewry dies this team will be permanently fucked. But then knowing Jews they send off their inherited money to their kids so we're stuck with Jewry Jr. to run the team and be irrelevant forever.

Just face it, we're permanently fucked as long as we're in the claws of the Jewsdorfs.

Jerry Reinsdorf got the state of Illinois to build him a shitty stadium on the border of dogshit neighborhoods to the south and east (the east has since improved since the taylor homes got torn down) and basically let him keep all the ticket money while the state pays for all the improvements.

The ol jew nigga knows how to wheel and deal.

You must not have seen the Peavy trade. We ended up with Avishit. He was a so-called "top prospect" who's done nothing but disappoint year after year after year.

I wonder which one of these """prospects""" will fall off the face of the Earth because this team is mired in losing culture and not at all winning.

I'm surprised how little people are talking in regards to the royals. Half their roster is a free agent next winter.

He hired hawk harrelson as the gm once
He let Hawk fire the manager
That manager was tony la russa
It's not insane, it's something jerry would do

Wade Davis talk is heating up...once Chapman and Jensen sign it'll get even more intense. There's also a lot of expectation for these guys to re-sign with KC.

I've never seen a window open and close so quickly.

Any superoldfags here remember when the Royals made the playoffs and their fans were insufferable? It was so long ago.

They'll retain Duffy and Moustakas. The rest are going and we have enough prospects to fill the holes.

We ain't going nowhere

Right and in 2001 Kenny got confused and traded James Baldwin for a guy named Berry when he thought he was getting a guy named Barry.

>moustakas, hosmer, cain, davis, escobar, dyson, duffy
That's a lot of talent hitting free agency at once.

yes please

Does Joe Torre's skin look like it feels like leather to anyone else?

Hosmer will be back. They wont let him walk and same goes for Moustakas.

Its tough to see what happens with Cain, I think they shell out.

The rest can be replaced without too much effort or money. If they're good again this year they'll make a run at it but if Cleveland is running away with the division they could always sell at the deadline. Now's not the time really unless someone blows them away for Wade Davis.

Cain is replaceable right now though. Teams who are looking for outfield help would pony up a nice package for Cain.

Cain has an intangible value to the Royals the same way Hosmer does. Not in a "marketable star to the locals" way either, they are the identity of that team and its worth keeping them around even as they age.

Cain is third behind McCutchen and Eaton on the OF trade market too.

>Breaking: McCutchen to Nats

Stop giving the Pirates prospects Nationals, you shits.

>(((Breaking)))

Yeah I know what you mean. It's just going to be tough if he walks and the royals only get a draft pick.

>its 11:50 am
>Jerry Dipoto hasn't made another trade yet

come on Jerry, what the fuck

What a time to be alive

>Breaking: Sale for Cash Considerations looking imminent now

HOW THE FUCK DO WE STOP THE JINTS NOW THAT THEY'VE FIXED THEIR ACHILLES HEEL!?

>Breaking: Jays to acquire Lorenzo Cain for Rowdy Tellez and Patrick Murphy

shh bb, don't force it and jinx it by shit talking. Just let it happen quietly

>Breaking: #Pirates Jung-Ho Kang sentenced to 11 years prison in Korea for latest DUI

Jon Heyman @JonHeyman 10m10 minutes ago

>I've been told that the Rangers are nearing a 5 year $125 deal with ex-Jays slugger Edwin Encarancion.

>Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal 29 seconds ago

>Source: Astros, Chapman, nearing 6 year deal. Expected to be worth $120 Million and full no-trade clause

>Choked in the playoffs 3 years in a row
>No money
>Cutch traded
>Kang an alcoholic rapist

Anyone else feel bad for Pie Rats fans at this point?

>Chapman wants a 6 year deal
>Yankees reportedly won't go over 4 years
I fucking love you Cashman

>Source: Kenley Jansen to join Mark Melancon in San Francisco. Deal could be worth up to 5 yars and $90 Million

Wood cum but it would never happen

you can tell by the prose. rosenthal doesnt use conjunctions like "and", instead it'd be 'expected to be worth $120M, full NTC" not that wordy bullshit.

>Source: Kenley Jansen to sign in Oakland. Term has not yet been disclosed but believed to be 5 years 85 million. More to come.

>Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal 22 seconds ago

>Source: Dodgers to acquire Gerrit Cole and cash considerations for Jose De Leon, Kike Hernandez, Alex Verdugo, Walker Buehler, and Austin Barnes