Why can't DC make a decent movie?

Why can't DC make a decent movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

techcrunch.com/2016/07/12/warner-brothers-fined-for-paying-youtube-celebs-to-promote-game/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because they aren't trying to make good movies. They're trying to make a "cinematic universe."

They're not alllocating enough money to the advertising/review buying budget

Look up the talk between Mark Hamill and Kevin Smith. Mark talks a bit about the cultural differences between doing stuff with Marvel and DC when it comes to their non-comic versions.

With Marvel, the film/tv guys are rubbing elbows with the comic guys, getting feedback from them on this or that.

With Warner Brothers, they never even really interact at that lower level. Basically executive decisions, then told to get it done. Much less cooperation, and less respect.

DC needs a Feige (sounds like they picked someone up who's apparently well regarded with the DC fandom who might be able to do just that, but I'm personally unfamiliar... maybe a DC fan can pipe up)

Real quick ratios of audience score/critic score so you can see the bias

Memepool: 1.083
Reddit War: 1
BvS: 2.407
Suicide Skwad: 2.808

You're welcome brah

WB to DC, I mean.

Executive meddling from suits that think they're filmmakers. The same thing that tanked Fox's X-Men franchise all those years ago.

Because all their execs appear to be either monkeys or severely retarded.
I can't think of any other reason why you would fuck up a movie about Batman and Superman in the midst of the capeshit craze.

they arent made for the lowest common denominator.
(i personally dont know what that means but i saw it being said on Sup Forums)

>thor 2

Let's do some ratios audience/critic ratings so maybe it's the memeaggregation the one bought up by the mousebois

Deadpool: 1.246
Civil War: 1.132
BvS: 1.469
Suicide Skwad: 1.617

There you go

When executives make these demands for films to be edited to how they think it should be and it bombs does anything happen to them? Their decision cost the company money right? do they just act like nothing happens?

I blame execs for the decision to rush the Cinematic Universe, and for throwing a BvS right from the start, but Snyder gets a fair share of the blame for having a somewhat incoherence mess of a film (theatrical; I did not have the chance to see director's cut yet)

DC movies are innovative. ambitious, and polarizing while Marvel movies are bland trash that appeal to the lowest common denominator.

>When applied to fiction, the term Lowest Common Denominator means appealing to as many people at once as possible.
>There are varying interpretations on what this implies. Taking an upbeat viewpoint, it might be admirable; making stories that most people can relate to, stories that all human beings can understand in relation to their own lives. If we think of media as communication between the creator and the audience, the most successful communication would be the one that is understood by the most people.
>From a more elitist, downbeat point of view, if we assume that a significant percentage of Viewers Are Morons, it can mean a work that is made to appeal only to the Great Unwashed. Instead of more "worthy" audiences, it is marketed to Joe Sixpack and all his family out there in Flyover Country, taking out everything that anyone more educated might appreciate, reducing it to its most shallow parts.

deadpool was better than civil war

Pretty sure if they are high up enough in the company they can easily put the blame on some lesser people and keep their job.

That or we just don't hear about it.

Their characters suck.
There is a reason they have always been behind Marvel in sales.

meant for this

Because WB are literally Satan.

>Suicide squad 26%
>Ghostbusters 76%
How is this even possible?

Nothing to do with bias I can tell you that much.

>With Marvel, the film/tv guys are rubbing elbows with the comic guys, getting feedback from them on this or that.
Not really. The Marvel comics division is mostly separate from the MCU creative committee as far as interpretations of the characters go (not counting appearance). For example, I don't think film Marvel cared what comics Marvel felt about them changing the Mandarin for Iron Man 3.

The ultimate edition is Snyder's original cut of BvS before it was hacked to pieces by WB executives at the last minute. It still has some pacing issues but is overall a tremendous improvement from the theatrical version in terms of flow and explaining things.

Are you implying there is corruption in internet reviews? lol fuckin dcuk lmao!!

/thread

>Actual Marvel comics fan
>Successfully maneuvers around stubborn Marvel execs to let him try MCU
>Idea seemed bananas crazy at a time because Marvel was nearly bankrupt and most popular characters were splitted between other studios
>Takes the risk and produces Iron Man
>Proceeds with creating $10 bln franchise from nothing
>Revolutionized the concept of movie franchise
>Runs things so efficiently that there were little to no scandals or production misfires for the project this large, namely all top stars are willing to continue filming
>No movie or script leaks like retards at Fox or Sony regularly do
>Of 13 movies he oversaw 13 are financially successful with 13 of those having positive critic reception
>Slowly returns Marvel characters to their home from other studios
>Excellent relations with Disney board as well as lots of Hollywood people
>Cucks Paramount
>Cucks Universal
>Picks up the fight with uncooperative CEO when the time comes
>Wins the fight and becomes co-CEO himself
>Cucks Sony into Spider-Man deal
>Humiliates WB/DC at capebowl of 2016
>MCU steamroller is going as strong as ever
>Starts war with co-CEO over Marvel TV
>Starts it just at the moment when Civil War is breaking its billion while TV ratings are declining - a move that will undoubtedly make him look good and co-CEO bad
>Looks like he is going to win this too
>This is the man who made Iron Man and Captain America larger cultural icons than Batman and Superman
>This is the man who produced a comic book movie about Rocket Racoon, a movie that was more profitable and critically successful than a movie featuring Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman

This is why DC is losing.

Because Disney is the greatest studio of all time

All time

No one can fuck with Disney all they know is money. Sad but true. I hate it but it is what it is

Critics were afraid of offending the SJW crowd. No really. Of all the RT conspiracy theories out there this one does make a certain amount of sense considering the crazy shitstorm of controversy surrounding Ghostbusters before release.

Did he have any saying in guardians of the galaxy? I thought that James Gunn was the only guy directing it

The storytelling is also more intricate, like a lot of people complained about how the flash backs in MoS weren't linear because that's what their expectations are from prior films, they don't ask if it makes sense or not to do it that way because it's simpler.

He has say in every Marvel movie.

He's the show runner of the entire Cinematic Universe

Talented people don't want to work on DC because their executives are infamous for making retarded decisions based on focus groups or test screenings, such as mutilating the film or hiring an incompetent director.

No one in the industry is a fanboy of either DC or Marvel, they just want to work with the best people and get paid the most, and Disney has that. Their approach to producing blockbusters is much more rational. They let the director make the best movie he can after a lengthy writing proccess where the executives make plenty of notes, and then they figure out how to market it. The success or failure of blockbusters in the end comes down to marketing.

DC don't make sure they have a good script, they don't care. They just care about the trailer. Their movies are written around the scenes they want to show in their trailers.

>le critics hate DC and are biased!

Can anyone tell me why the majority of people in this world would hate DC of all things and purposefully the movies are bad? Like, why? You actually think every critic review put on rottentomatoes are paid or something? Why has the Dark Knight trilogy done well then?

If anything, if there was any bias, DC should be beating Marvel. More people know about Superman and Batman than fucking Iron Man and Captain America. If you're not a comic book fan, who the fuck knew anything about Iron Man and Captain America in their childhood? Ask the same question for Superman and Batman.

Look at how much money each one produces over the paid reviews.

Ghostbusters still shit the bed with their 46 million opening weekend whereas Suicide Squad is like 125m its opening weekend. You cannot lie about box office numbers that badly, but if you throw enough money at a reviewer they can word-gymnastics their way out of any situation

hard truths

They can and they are.

But they got outbid by Marvel for the reviews.

nobody is afraid of SJWs

They just got memed into thinking the movie was progressive

I'm not a comic book fan, and I only cared about X-Men, Spiderman and Batman, because those were the only ones with good cartoons. Superman always seemed lame as fuck, and still does.

yes user

Your noisy, masturbatory CGI blockbuster was just too complex for the plebian audiences.

It takes a finely honed mind to pick up on Snyder's subtle imagery and nuanced story-telling.

Superman the animated series and the JL series were great.Didn't you watch those?
DC animated universe is very good.

everybody who disagrees with you is being paid to do so

One Punch Man is a much more interesting take on the Superman mythos

first dubs best dubs

I heard good things about those but no I didn't watch them, those came after my time.

Even if they were good, I'm sure very few people over the age of 25 has seen them or even heard of them.

Yet none of that would have happened without Robert Downey Jr's inspired performance which singlehandedly saved the first Iron Man film and set the tone for the entire MCU going forward. If you read up on the production of Iron Man, you'll see it was LITERAL MESS (they started shooting without a script) that could have easily turned into a disaster WORSE than BvS' theatrical release. And let's not forget the controversy surrounding all the rewrites and cuts made to The Incredible Hulk late in production (ala Suicide Squad).

It's easy to think that Feige had it all planned out in retrospect, when in reality he was winging his way though the early Phase 1 films much like DC is now.

I dont watch anime,but 1 punch man is quite new isn't it?
I was talking about my childhood cartoons,and those 2 series with the batman the animated series were great

>It still has some pacing issues but is overall a tremendous improvement from the theatrical version in terms of flow and explaining things.
No its not, its still shit just even longer

1.) Ghostbusters hasn't been relevant in years. A "remake" wouldn't have done well regardless of teh controversy

2.) All DC films are frontloaded and drop hard in its second week due to piss poor word of mouth.

That's why DC really needed to make sure they had a good start to their Cinematic Universe before going forward. Marvel didn't have all this stuff planned out when they made Iron Man. They just wanted to make an Iron Man movie which turned out to be successful and everything grew from that. DC wants to have a successful billion dollar franchise right from the start and while I don't think their movies are all that bad, they're really blowing it compared to Marvel.

>Marvel didn't have all this stuff planned out
Have you watched Iron man? They have it more or less planned to expand the universe since the first film

His relationships with directors (outside a few - like the James Gunn) isn't exactly the greatest though. Jon Favreau and Joss Whedon both got sick of his shit and left the MCU. Others like Patty Jenkins (Thor 2) and Edgar Wright (Ant-Man) got fired halfway through production.

Why can't RT aggregate decent critics?

>Jon Favreau and Joss Whedon both got sick of his shit and left the MCU.
Joss was let go after fucking up AOU

I'd personally rate my enjoyment of Man of Steel and Iron Man 1 about the same.

But One-Punch-Line-Man has nothing to do with the mythos. Saitama got his powers through hard work, he wasn't born on a different planet.

For one thing, there is no "DC". There is Warner Brothers who make adaptations of the comic properties they own alongside the other films that they make.

This.

Kek, it's not supposed to be subtle fukktard, some of the references are a big part of Bruce's characterization, which is used to show contrast in the M A R T H A scene, can you tell me how it shows that contrast?

According to the reports he was being cucked in the editing room by studio suits, much like Ayer.

>tfw we'll never see Joss Whedon's cut of AOU

I'm sure they had ideas planned just in case the movie turned out to be successful, but they weren't planning the dozen or so movies that DC is planning right off the bat. It's why they made Iron Man, then The Incredible Hulk, then Iron Man 2. They were playing it safe until they took more of a gamble with Thor. Then more and more gambles with the later movies.

>Snyder's subtle imagery and nuanced story-telling

They honestly are subtle and nuanced. So many people don't get things because Snyder shows things through visuals rather than dumb exposition i.e. they don't get the imagery in the Martha scene at all and go "hurr they're best friends because their moms share the same name".

Because they refuse to pander to nu-male, glasses wearing FAGGOTS

WB/DC had more or less the same approach with Man of Steel. Then they got greedy with BvS and forced Snyder to shoehorn in Wonder Woman and all the Justice League references, which he did manage relatively well considering his situation.

What they don't get is that it's part of a bigger picture the story is trying to tell.

They are afraid to be harassed and have death threats for months, all for a shitty movie. They individually decided that it wasn't worth the hassle. Replace every "it's okay" with "it's unfunny and empty" and you have their real opinion.

ineffective story-telling isn't the same thing as subtle story-telling

If your movie fails to impart its message to a sweeping majority of the audience, then it is a failure of the movie. Only the truly narcissistic would disagree.

you live in a fantasy world

They started with the wrong foot with a team that wanted to do their thing instead of a good adaptation. It happened before with Nolan, but Snyder isn't on his level and apparently is uncapable of long term thinking. Ayer instead tried to do a Marvel movie with some attitude ending up nerfing the entire premise of Suicide Squad. If anything Ayer and Snyder shoul have been switched.

That's you. When you post anonymous comments you are shielded. A critic or a youtuber can be harassed for months because those people don't have anything to do all day. If you are working it's annoying and it's just not worth the hassle.

>subtle imagery and nuanced story-telling.
>halo over the head in church
>cross position flying out of spaceship
>back-lit descent from the sky to save people
>hundreds of hands reaching for him
>in a moment of doubt he flees to a desert, I meant mountain
>ghost of father reassures him
>dies in sacrifice to save the world
>is resurrected
>subtle

Gee, was that a messianic metaphor or something?

Snyder hates Superman so much that, as a Supes fan, it makes me want to vomit. I actually wish I didn't like the character so my life wasn't and exercise in getting fucked over.

It's kind of bad luck too. The things that make their movies flawed are usually different each time

They don't get the Martha thing because it's stupid as fuck.
Firstly, Batman mows down people he ASSUMED are criminals with a minigun when they could just be normal security personell who have to transport a payload to Lex Corp. He is completely ruthless and has no regard for the live of those he considers his enemies.
Secondly, Batman is afraid of Superman because he thinks the latter might abuse his powers and noone would be able to stop him. Superman caring about his mother does not change the fact that Superman can be dangerous.
In short, instead of resolving the conflict between Superman and Batman in a reasonable way, Snyder chose the pants on head retarded way.

>nobody is afraid

Horseshit. A lot of people want to speak up but are worried about getting smeared and essentially blacklisted as a MRANaziTrumpvoter. You think it doesn't matter, but you try getting a job when a bunch of people start a whisper campaign to paint you as a rapist Klansmen so that you basically can't get hired in your field. Shit happens constantly, and if you deny that, you're either pretending to be retarded, or you're not pretending at all.

>Ayer instead tried to do a Marvel movie
It's the exact opposite. Ayer wanted to make a dark satire exploring the criminal psyche (with more focus on the twisted relationship between Harley and the Joker) but the studio got nervous and forced him to add nonstop action and quips.

back to your containment board

we're talking about capeshit

Have you seen the majority? The youtube critics?

The scene made sense if you understood Bruce's motivations and how it contrasted with what he was about to do.

What you're asking for is explicit exposition like Nolan does to explain his ham fisted plot so they make sense.

>a dark satire exploring the criminal psyche
I'd post a laughing Evans but I don't have any.

>What you're asking for is explicit exposition
or a competent edit job

You have know idea what goes into visual story telling
and no, Snyder bashing our brains in with sophomoric imagery does not count

Sony and Marvel buy reviews and Warner Bros doesn't.

>I'd post a rebuttal but I don't have any

why don't they buy reviews?

The only horseshit is the thing you call a brain. EVERY critic deals with people shitting on their review, calling them biased, their opinion ignorant and uneducated. Being a critic is understanding there are masses of people willing to rage at you for differing opinions.

Literally no one thinks "Holy fuck, these SJWs might actually murder me" and decide to give a good review because of it.

Why don't you explicitly explain it then. Why did Bruce, who is 100% committed to murdering this alien menace that he believes will destroy the world (and has evidence of via Speedy Gonzales), suddenly decide that he's his bff because their moms share the same first name?

Seriously man.

Rebuttal of what? I just thought it was funny that Ayer wanted something like that considering what we ended up with. Not everything has to be an argument, user.

They put the money into the movies and commercials.It's working out fine for them because everyone goes and seers their movies anyway. Rotten Tomatoes loses them less money than what it would cost to buy better reviews.

Can't be, they killed off Rhodey in the comic books because the writer thought he died in Civil War.

Supes earned his respect by dying for humanity.

Interesting

so why does disney buy reviews then if its a waste of money?

Marvel Studios is even more nutless than Marvel Comics.

Disney sees it as investing in their brand. Warner Bros doesn't give a shit. They have very different philosophy towards the critics, and Warner Bros seems bent on proving that they don't need the press's help to make money.

It's part of the narrative you have to interpret yourself what it means in the context of the story, things don't happen in a vacuu m.

Wow, still not getting it with those clues. To spoonfeed, it's simple, Bruce sees himself taking out supes as him being heroic, when Lois shows up and he is able to see what he is about to do cleearly, he decides to not go through with it cause it wouldn't accomplish what he was trying to do.

All I know is the Directors Cut of BvS shits on anything Marvel has ever made by a huge margin, and its a tragedy that is was hacked up for the theatrical release.

Its the one superhero movie I would say actually tries to be a 'film.' Even though that sounds pretentious I dont know how else to say it.
It had way more depth than Marvels extremely shallow romps

>Bruce sees himself taking out supes as him being heroic
Except that's completely wrong you retard. He thinks Supes is going to cause the apocalypse. Remember the 10 minute long apoco-bat sequence? No?

Is this post satire?

it still doesn't explain why Lex would knowingly unleash something he can't control and that is stronger than superman "to protect the world". Also doesn't stop MARTHA from being completely ridiculous, even moreso the 2nd time when you realize all the name dropping and the fact that Clark calls his mum Martha.

It would have been a better movie if Lex was working with Batman to defeat Superman as they both essentially had the same goal, get Superman under control. Then have Lex take it too far by killing Clark's mother, or preferably Lois, to get at Superman, which gets Batman on Superman's side.

Not him, but I could see what Snyder was going for with BvS (a jaded Batman regaining faith in humanity again after fighting crime for so long, and freshly minted Superman becoming jaded over the perceived powerlessness of his actions). And while it could have been executed a lot better, what's there is still good, just missing a lot of key scenes/establishing dialogue to truly make that work. The Ultimate Cut does go a long way towards fixing that though, in my opinion.

>Disney sees it as investing in their brand. Warner Bros doesn't give a shit. They have very different philosophy towards the critics, and Warner Bros seems bent on proving that they don't need the press's help to make money.
About that. If they're paying for games, you can damn be certain they're paying on movies. Fuck, everyone is at this point
techcrunch.com/2016/07/12/warner-brothers-fined-for-paying-youtube-celebs-to-promote-game/

Well the ultimate cut sort of hints that Lex was acting under orders from Steppenwolf, at least when it comes to Doomsday.

Favreau is back for Infinity War though. I suspect his problems might have been with the creative committee they set up as well

>before it was hacked to pieces by WB executives
You mean Snyder's wife, the executive producer?

Except that WB literally JUST got caught buying reviews. Oopsie!