BoJack Horseman

This show is surprisingly dark for an animated comedy.

>animated comedy

Just say cartoon, you fucking horseposter

Yeah but you know what I mean, right? Can we not get caught up in semantics?

Both words have the same meaning? Why does it matter?

>dark

I think reddit would give you a lot of upvotes for that.

Would you consider BH a light a cheery romp?

BoJack Horseman, like Game of Thrones, got its heard too far up its own ass.

GoT became famous for gruesome, violent twists at the end of each season. Now that's all the show is -- a bunch of boring, meandering filler for eight episodes, then they kill a bunch of characters they don't need in order to shock everyone in the finale.

The same kind of pattern is happening with BoJack. Everyone shat their pants at the emotional roller coaster that was episode 11 of season 1. Viewers responded really well and it got a lot of people talking. So they did the same for episode 11 of season 2. And episode 11 of season 3.

It feels forced. It's not "BoJack does a bunch of shit then becomes sad as a result," it's "episode 11 is here so something is going to make BoJack sad, dammit." I don't mind if the story naturally leads to melodramatic bullshit, but I feel that the creators push things that way to... I don't know, it almost feels like pandering to the fans, because they want their "dark, mature animated comedy."

Rick and Morty does this shit too. Morty's shell-shocked reaction at the end of S01E06 makes sense, but Rick's suicide attempt at the end of S02E03 felt forced and cringey.

I feel that you're in part on to something, but you're also off on a few points.

Firstly, I'd not go as far as to argue that GoT and BJH are the same in most regards.

GoT was a show about political strife in some alternate middle-age with fantasy elements that turned full fantasy, and pretty garbage fantasy at that.

BJH is a show about a guy who can't fill the void in his life with the accomplishments from his past and (like you said) most of the seasons here are about him making everything worse until episode 11.

BJH can still be saved, in the sense that they can still take his depression in interesting directions and it might be the first animated show in history that ends with the protagonist killing himself.

GoT is too far into fantasy land to come back out again now.

its kind if this, after they saw that people responded really well to the whole deal about emotional roller coasters, they based the series around that

also, the writters can't actually write good smart jokes, so they just made it depressing and gritty

also its too fucking hipster

That's cute
Now go watch Moral Orel

Well they can certainly write good dumb jokes:
"Well I'm the only albino rhino gyno I know"
then later: "oh great, and you're also a wine addict"

Moral Orel is fuckin 10/10 I like you

I thought the best episode was "Let's Find Out," which was legitimately hilarious and didn't lay the drama and depression on too thick.

kek'd hard at this joke about 10 seconds after I heard it

The problem with the show is that, just by the nature of the character Bojack is, the show doesn't go anywhere. It's just the same thing over and over. While it is a depressingly realistic portrayal of the type of piece of shit Bojack is supposed to represent, it does become mundane.

I don't see it going anywhere other than
1.bojack gets slightly better
2.bojack ruins everything
He gets no character development
>Inb4 bojack is supposed to be shit
Still after season 2 they were beating a dead bojack

It's also a piece of shit.

You're a piece of shit.

But that's what depression and drug abuse is like. You just keep making the same mistakes over and over again and you hate yourself more and more. It's like it never ends.

There are lots of legitimately funny jokes in this show, but there's so much stupid boring shit too. It's starting to feel like it's not worth the time anymore.

it clearly says only "drama"

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE HAPPY NOTHING GETS TO BE SAD
T. 90% of tv