This movie was fucking terrible. Can someone explain to me why it's so praised and renouned?

This movie was fucking terrible. Can someone explain to me why it's so praised and renouned?

Can you explain why you think it's terrible?

why is terrible?

Movies women will never understand general?

I think that Aguirre is one of those films that is mostly renowned for the cinematic techniques.

>renouned

This, it's hardcore guerrila filmmaking and was an incredibly impressive feat.

Sup Forums, the movie. Every part of Aguirre is amazing and hilarious...

Same goes foe Fitzcarraldo. OP step your shit up, you dumb pleb

OP is right this movie is shit

people force themselves to defend it because its indie arthouse movie by herzog. but its total shit

grade A film making. a piece of art you should want your son to watch when he's of age.

You sound like an intimidated simpleton that only enjoys things at a superficial level and you think anyone (everyone) more intelligent than you is just faking it

It's only re-nouned by people who are literate and urbane.

The filming technique was the only thing it had going for it but that couldn't save the fact that there is little to no plot development. All it is just an inferior version of Apocalypse now. Am I supposed to be impressed that there is barely any action in it and how Herzog was so brave to put all of the deaths happened off screen (I get why he did it but it just didn't impress me/ do anything for me at all). I just want to know why it's considered as such a good movie.

it's a meme movie favored by reddit

>Am I supposed to be impressed that there is barely any action in it

It predated Apocalypse Now by seven years and despite a troubled production it's seamless. Kinski's performance is also fucking insane, which isn't much of a surprise because he was insane

Haha, fucking plebs these days.

Why does that matter? It's clearly inferior to Apocalypse Now and if it came out after it it would get no recognition. And is the fact that it had a troubled production supposed to make it a better movie? That's like saying Boyhood (which was also shit) was a great movie because it took 12 years to make.

Do you actually care OP? There have been a lot of great essays about Aguirre that could help illuminate the film for you.

I'm just confused that a movie with a 98% and an average score of 9.2 on RT was so mediocre.

no i just have my own opinion about it. you seem to follow the herd and pretend to like it just because reddit likes it.

if everyone on reddit jumped off a cliff would you follow?

I love all of Herzog's work with Kinski, but I think Aguirre is a little overrated. Not as overrated as Fitzcarraldo though, that's my least favorite of their films together. You might like Woyzeck or Nosferatu better, they are the most different from Aguirre. And Cobra Verde is the best film either of them ever made so I must recommend that though I doubt you will like it.

>Baby's first art film

There's more to movies then the story. Arthouse films are about telling a story through the cinematography and experimental film techniques.

It captures the madness better than Apocalypse Now did.

Why can't he actually like it? Why is it, if you dislike something it's having your own opinion but if he likes something he's only pretending? What the fuck is wrong with you?

holy shit Sup Forums, kys

Why can't you just say you think it has a good story? I think it has a great story. The cinematography and stuff helps tell that story. Actually, it's an integral part of the story. If the cinematography is changed, so is the story. That goes for all films btw

Mediocre? Fuck you. Amazing directing, great performance from Kinski, very low key yet carries a lot of weight whenever something happens.

You aren't just used to slightly non-formal films, like Aguirre, Herzog's way to direct is far different from New Hollywood -era Francis Ford Coppola (compared to Apocalypse Now ITT).

Simply put you didn't udnerstand the film.

Klaus Kinski also shits all over Brando

The soundtrack alone make the movie a 10/10.

What kinda movies do you like senpai? Not trying to judge, i just wanna know where you're coming from

>pleb watches Aguirre, doesn't 'get it' and calls people reddit when they like it

Films aren't for you.

Stick to capeshit brain numbing shit.

why cant i dislike it? am i not a real movie fan for not liking this steaming pile of manure

what's so bad about it?

herzog needs to stick to documentaries

Because you haven't given a single argument why you don't like it. Everything you've written ITT clearly reads 'it is not like my Hollywood = bad film'

You didn't even sort of answer my question, but I will answer yours. I never said you can't dislike it, you can think what you want, but so can everyone else. Maybe you'd like it better if Spike Lee remade it

its boring and its like a high school film project. i could direct a better movie honestly

OP here, I like a lot of art films and a lot of my favorite movies are art films (Paris Texas, The Double Life of Veronique, Werckmeister Harmonies, El Topo) along with a few other Hollywood films but Aguirre was just so void of entertainment and artistic merit and I just felt nothing from the movie

very nice critique. have you thought about doing this professionally?

Learn 2 minimalism. Less is more.

it seemed limited by budget and the location in which they shot it. its D movie tier. kathy griffin could have starred in it

Okay maybe there is artistic merit in the movie but it doesn't excuse the fact that it was boring and it had a lack of focus

The build of madness in Aguirre and its portrayal is already justification enough for the film to exists. It's done well, thanks to Werner and Kinski.

>Shot in the fuckin rainforest
>why does the rainforest you know look like rainforest and not my Cinematic Hollywood Rainforest.

Jesus what

>Aguirre
>lack of focus
pulling my leg here I see

i get the raw element he was going for going deep into the jungle to make a movie. it just didnt work for me. different strokes thats all

it's "different strokes" now? no more "reddit bla bla pile of shit"?

Lol, please do try. Go out right now to the amazon river with only a few thousand dollars and a cast that's literally insane and try to murder you in your sleep. Let's see how great of a film you can make out of that situation.

So you don't like when rainforest actually looks like rainforest? You need Cinematic Hollywood Forest with Cinematic Space between Cinematic Trees?

exactly. in the rainforest and monotonous

holy moly my plebdar is going of the chain!

stick to overfilterred flick, kiddo

It's gorgeous when you think it was shot in a jungle with shit camera and in shit conditions yet the film is a beautiful looking film, with good cinematography and dedicated performances from the crew.

i think its more of a generational gap. i cant get into older music or movies. imo they are not as refined to my generations liking. my favorite movie is buffalo 66. so way different taste

shit fucking bait

come the fuck on your favorite movie is buffalo 66?

what's your favourite klaus kino?

nah. while i dig his docs as much as you apparently do, i think he can still produce some pretty good films given half the chance, his latest film being an exception. Port of Call New Orleans, My Son My Son, and Rescue Dawn were all captivating films.

its not a generational gap thing. its just you. plenty of younger people get into movies made long before they were born.

also you can't get into "older music"? like the thousands of years of it that came before you? have you even tried?

great silence or cobra verde for me
i also love his "jesus christ" one man show thing, it's great
i think klaus is the best actor in history and i love him in anything

been meaning to watch kinski paganini, which he wrote and directed himself

I loved POCNO.

That and Killer Joe are both the type of sleazy modern pulp that hits me hard.

Got any recs for similar films?

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done is really underrated. Incredible cast and very atmospheric.

>i think its more of a generational gap. i cant get into older music or movies. imo they are not as refined to my generations liking

Being a pleb has nothing to do with how old you are or how old the movie is

pink floyd is the only band i can get into from the older era. i've tried zeppelin queen king crimson rush yes. and i do like other genres than prog rock but if its classical music it has to be a current artist or 80s forward. older music and movies just arent interesting

well, Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant comes to mind for obvious reasons. Rampart seems like a cousin to such films but doesn't get as sleazy as it could have. some of those 80's Mickey Rourke films also come to mind. similar aesthetic. i guess also check out Abel Ferrara's other films. i particularly enjoyed his take on the William Gibson short story New Rose Hotel, but I fear not a lot of people do due to its somewhat redundant third act.

yeah lol. i know gallo is a one hit wonder

Why does the South American jungle look like a random river in Central Europe?

They're off the mark for me, I've seen those. I'm looking for films taking place in the 00s-10s, forgot to say. Different aesthetic in both KJ and POCNO in comparison to Ferrara's films for example.

Cool story bro? Thanks for sharing
You have about the same mindset about art as a 15 year old girl.

as a person that lives in central Europe it doesn't look anything like.

>Holy shit, that random extra dropped a chicken, tell me you got that lol this film will be epic

im not a pleb just because i cant get into older content. i try to because of people like you insisting so and so is the greatest director or a movie is a masterpiece. you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink

Films aren't for you, find a new time sink

no they probably pretend to like older stuff to fit in just like you.

>AC\DC is the greatest

lol

i think the issue here is you're designating entire categories, genres, fucking verticals of art as boring or uninteresting simply because you do not obtain instant or maybe even delayed gratification from them. the flaw with this line of thinking is other than not searching for reasons why you find them so and developing better critical assessment skills, you assign or classify them pejoratively. to put it another way, when you find something boring, it's not the product that is boring, it's you that finds it so. why did you find it (any movie, book, music, etc) boring? try to list the reasons and go on from there.

Why do people makes threads like this? It's ok that it's 2deep4u but what did you think was going to happen when you make a thread about how you don't get it? There's millions of critiques all over the internet you can read if you really want to know what makes it unique and interesting, instead of just watching it like it's supposed to be a current summer blockbuster then complaining that it didn't entertain you.

Only God Forgives is right up your alley, but I'm guessing you've seen it

films are for everyone. there are so many out there we can pick what we like. i search for my own and dont rely on general consensus. thats independent instead of following IMDBs top 100 movies

Disregarding something due to age is almost as pleb as it gets. There's plenty great things that have come out in the last 10 years. of Your favorite movie is from 1998? You think 20 years old is modern?

Yeah I've seen it, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Too focused on looking pretty, too pretty.

Cage's drug habits and Joe making the woman suck the chicken penis was so sleaze and based on 00s and a modern world, loved that.

Really hard to find similar films.

You aren't even smart enough to elaborate why the film was bad, so stop the high and mighty act of 'I don't follow IMDB xd'

ac/dc is shit, good thing there's been thousands of other bands in existence. There's always been great and bad art, quality has just as much bearing on the year it came out as the day of the week it came out

yeah, i really can't think of any right now. maybe you have to scour euro indies more for these type of films.

books are the opposite though i prefer older books like voltaire and dostoyevsky. but i think its that younger people are spoiled by modern movies. the cameras and technology has gotten better. so older movies are harder to appreciate because they rely more on different techniques. dialogue was more important back then and so was subtle acting techniques.

>the cameras and technology has gotten better
This doesn't make the film better at all. This does not mean it was directed better, or has a better cinematography.

these are some series i've never seen: harry potter,saw,fast and furious,pirates of caribbean,spiderman. not one ever.

can you say the same? who is really the pleb here lol

herzog's best movie is the enigma of kaspar hauser

aguirre is very overrated

yeah thats what im saying. theres so much content out there its impossible to take it all in in your lifetime. so why not consume what you like and not the pillars of greatness that the general consensus likes.

WHERE WERE THE SUPERHEROES?

>He doesn't appreciate Saw, POTC and Raimi's Spiderman films.

depends on the movie. but george lucas updated his star wars movies because maybe he felt he was limited by technology back then. and james cameron couldnt start his avatar when he wanted to for the same reason. held back by technology

>plot
this word is like the biggest pleb red flag
you can just tell this person has no experience with art cinema when he complains that there was no "plot development" as if he's watching breaking bad

I spit on your grave simpleton

maybe Herzog isn't for you? i can't fathom how someone cannot appreciate the film, but that's neither here nor there. some filmmakers simply do not click with certain viewers. nothing wrong with that, but i find it very odd you're into Dostoevsky and Voltaire and then cite Herzog's film for lack of action (if it's the same person i've been chatting with). i suggest returning to Herzog a year or two from now and see if you maintain a dislike for his films. i've returned to plenty of filmmakers, and novelists, after first being unable to appreciate their work, only to find i just wasn't ready for them back then. art has a funny way of entering your life when you're ready for it, not when you come across it.

yeah im the same person books are a whole different ball game. but i will i think it was 2008 when i watched most of herzog's movies. nice chat

>boring
Jesus Christ, the movie's only 90 minutes. You definitely have ADD, dude, and your pleb habits aren't helping you get a decent attention span

This movie was horrible, I watched it last night in the background while palying Pokemon Go and listening to the Suicide Squad Soundtrack and it didn't make any sense at all.