Discuss

discuss

It'll stay the same.

Stays the same
When the ice cube is introduced to the cup displacement occurs idiot

What if it isnt water ice ?

This.
And there's nothing to discuss.

It will fall, since ice cubes are lower density than water, indicating they take up more volume for a given mass. The resulting water from the melted cube takes up less space and the water level drops.

see

>nigga doesn't know water works.

It rises dumbass. The water rises due to displacement, and the cube turns into water which keeps the level as high as it was with an ice cube

wrong

This is correct. When H2O molecules are in a liquid state, they sort of interlock and take up less space. When they crystallize, however, there is more open space between the molecules, meaning the same amount of matter (mass) is taking up less space (volume), i.e. lower density.

Correct.

Ice is floating, therefore has less density and will decrease in volume when it melts

it depends on how dense the WATER is. If it's salt water, it could actually rise

It will fall
When water freezes it expands
This expansion creates displacement
When this expansion is reduced the displacement is reduced
Therefore the water level goes down

ice is less dense than water, but the level still stays the same when it melts. think more.

Considering water is less dense then ice, it would ever so slightly decrease. But let's be honest, in a normal glass you won't notice a difference, if this were a big ass pond with the top couple feet frozen, you would probably notice a slight difference

That's incredible! I can't believe his ass isn't bleeding!

Actually, no. As the solid ice turns to liquid water, its volume will decrease, so the "height" of the water will go down slightly.

This

Water is an oddity, it actually expands when it freezes

Thats why roads are so shitty this time of year in the north, from all the ice damage from the winter

I learned this shit in 4th grade earth science some 26 years ago, yall niggas is dumb

except it won't

"IF you have a glass of water, and ADD more water, will you have more, or less water?"

ok fine i'll explain it i was thinking if i said you were wrong a couple times you'd think but i expect too much.

ice doesn't float entirely below the surface of water. some of the ice is above the surface. does this help.

The ice displaces the same amount of water as the melted ice. The water level stays the same.

The water level roae when you put the ice cube in. It'll stay here.

I actually just carried out this experiment.half filled a glass with water added ice cube...
got bored waiting added 3 fingers of jack daniels and now i dont care what the answer is.

it was, I licked it all off

Rises. When you initially measure the level of water with the ice in it, some of the ice is above the water line. That ice, when it melts, raises the water line slightly overall.

Now, if you held the ice cube underwater and measured the water level, then the water level would drop when it melts since the water line is measuring volume and the volume of liquid water is less than the volume of ice.

Rise. As the ice melts, it gains heat, causing it's particles to expand.

Except it doesn't because water is more dense as a luquid

It'll fall
Water is one of the few things that takes up more space in a low energy state. It's gotta do with the spacing of rigidly aligned water molecules.

Then it would depend on the density, if it has air inside of it and how much it is over the water.
For example, if is has more density than the water and no air, it will stay the same. But if it had lower density, then some of the cube would be floating, so when it melts it raises the level of the water

only that water is an anomaly, in which case it gets bigger when it freezes, unlike any other material

close. but ice is less dense than water. the part of the ice that is above the surface of the water balances out the difference in density, such that when it melts, the water level stays the same.

if the ice were held under the surface entirely, then the water level would drop when it melted.

Op some how got us arguing about water

Water is in a constant state of evaporation. Therefor, The level of the water will be less, even by a miniscule amount.

Motherfuckers ITT never heard of Archimedes.

you're missing the fact that ice cubes are going to be partially sticking out of the water, therefore not the entire volume of ice is going to contribute to the water level

the mass of the ice cube is going to be the same as the water that is going to come from that cube, therefore it displaces the same mass of water when it is sitting in water

>being a faggot and diluting whiskey

You never heard of Aquaman

no

Water is constantly evaporating from the glass. By the time the ice has melted, much of the water will have evaporated. Therefore, the water will fall.

Yes

there is no mention of how saturated the surrounding air is, so kindly fuck off

That's true. I considered that a trivial piece of the equation. I suppose this entire thread depends on how specific you want to get. You could make broad, general statements about trends of matter or go down to the quantum level of an extremely specific case. Either way, we're all autistic.

Well, I'm assuming an impure ice cube which will have trapped impurities and gases such as air. You're right, though, that a pure cube of ice would be balanced.

Niether

Water is fucking awesome.
Water's natural cycling at this ideal temp range is just mind blowing.

Water sinks the colder it gets or the more saline it gets, but when it freezes it simultaneously becomes less dense and less saline. This helps mix bodies of water, giving them more temperature stability, which helps sustain life.

The same for water's magical ability to fly into the sky and then come back down sometimes.

Rise. Water in ice is more dense than liquid form.