/Prod/ + Gear General

/Prod/ + Gear General

I bought a 2 months old Maschine Mikro Mk2 off ebay for 130 bucks- did I do good or fuck up?
I actually just wanted it for the responsive pads in Ableton. Why is it so hard to find decent pad controllers for under 600 bucks?

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/bfkn5xob
clyp.it/f1pyz5kr
clyp.it/k0zk1evw
clyp.it/0m33kojy
clyp.it/vwoccdqf
youtube.com/watch?v=rB_jV6xnM6Y
clyp.it/vabtegmw
clyp.it/cbfafwxd
youtube.com/watch?v=S5QNRCNWYZE&list=PL8OLNhDAXlGtQKe6fZ8lmF1Yu8lJUyx7v
clyp.it/xtri4jju
clyp.it/duy2sluu
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

clyp.it/bfkn5xob
Is this goode?

good is subjective. Don't just come here for validation, instead ask people what problem your having with your mix.

The weird film project sound that the track starts off with is way too fucking loud for the entire track.It covers up all the pads you got in the background especially at the 1:00-1:15 mark

clyp.it/f1pyz5kr

My second track I've written. It's more or less finished. Would love some advice about the mix, especially about the tribal kick drum.

Is the OP-1 worth it?

I hear it's insanely durable and built like a tank and the standalone functionality is nice but I hate the fact that it can't be used as a MIDI controller (can it?) and it's $1,000 considering all its limitations.
Plus the design is sexy.

Wow, that's actually kind of frightening. The tonal synths in the beginning sort of water it down, though. Kind of reminds me of Throbbing Gristle coked up. Good job, user.

clyp.it/k0zk1evw
Looking for feedback on this track I'm working on. As you can probably tell from looking at the waveform it definitely needs to be mastered. Is it too dull compositionally sonically, or is it good? Should there be more going on? etc.

Depending on who you talk to it's either an overpriced gimmick or a revolutionary tool for music production.

I have never used one but it seems like a neat little sketchpad for musical ideas. It has limitations but they're supposed to force you into thinking differently about how you compose your tracks.

That said, it's way too expensive for a workstation with such limited functionality. If you have a lot of disposable income, or you already have a good setup for making music and want one as an extra gadget go for it.

For your second ever song you could do a lot worse. The synth sounds are kind of corny but it's excusable given your inexperience. The extra synth melody that comes in at 0:30 seconds also sounds really off, the notes clash with the rest of the music pretty hard. The section where the drums come in sounds pretty good though.

clyp.it/bfkn5xob
I don't think you are referring to my song. There are no drums.

Sorry, I meant to reply to

Thanks, user. I was actually listening to SPK
while working on this

>Why is it so hard to find decent pad controllers for under 600 bucks?
MPD 26 or 24 for $100 on ebay. If you want to spend a little more the 32 is gods controller.
Yes you fucked up.

>clyp.it/0m33kojy

Any critiques? Alessandro Cortini inspired.

Made with MS20, Virus Acess, and Renoise.

Love the IDM feel of this song. The percussion you used and stereo work is nice too. Don't have too many critiques other than avoid using presets for synths. Really nice, like this a lot.

I would EQ the bat echoey thing to be not as sharp. Sounds frightening and I could imagine this in a running from an invisible monster scene in a game.

For $99 you could get a device capable of handling MIDI and also has pads. Everything else the OP-1 can do can be replicated on a computer, and better.
Overpriced.

clyp.it/vwoccdqf

How is this sounding?

where can I find some good sound orchestral one-hit samples? for example pizzato cellos and things like that.

1;10-1;11 there is a mixing error, the track quiets down for a split second, the high notes on the piano are a little quite compared to the lower notes especially near the end.

>MPD 26
you mean those with the horrific pad sensitivity?

I had a MPD and they're terrible. Pad sensitivity is crazy inconsistent.

I've owned many pad controllers over the years and the Quneo is by far my favourite. Never used a maschine, but David Haynes seems to like it and he's the best finger drummer on the planet by a wide margin.

MPDs are dreadful unmodified.

God that thing looks like aids

What is this new meme with hardware to have a shit ton of LED's.

I know people who fall for it because "it's pretty looking"

All you need is a good weighted key midi piano with some pads. But I'd argue that pads are useless.

why do people making music on modular either make atonal shit or they use equal temperament?
having freely tunable spaces is what I love about using the make noise rene as keyboard.

Novation launchkey 49
Y/N

It doesn't actually look like that ever, for some reason their promotional pictures have all of the LEDs turned on.

>I'd argue that pads are useless.
youtube.com/watch?v=rB_jV6xnM6Y

Do they pay you to shill this?

This is all I ever need.

Two relevant posts in a conversation I didn't start is hardly shilling dickhead

Did you find it hard to learn? I got mine about a year ago, and after a few days I was running it no problem w/o the manual. I don't get why people act like it's a super complicated piece of a equipment.

Not really hard to learn, cause I was familiar with Elektron workflow since I have AR+A4. But I have the manual by my side whenever I need it. There are still some things I don't understand though (like parts and scenes). It's so fun to get experimental on it, in combination with p-locks, lfos, retrigs, and lots of crazy results!!

clyp.it/vabtegmw
feedback on the production?

pretty new to this whole thing, picked up one of these the other day and it's been fun to fuck around with

how do people actually just manage with 25 keys? I've tried (still wanting) to get into the production thing, got the Akai MPK25, good quality all round, just the tiny keys drive me insane. Getting a 49 version or more likely the 61 as soon as I can. Different between £70 midi controller and £400 but just feels so worth it to me.

I bought one when they came out. It was a lot of fun, but I ended up liking money more than I liked having the OP-1. Think of it as a piece of interactive art, because that's what it is.

Nope, you did good, assuming it came with a copy of Maschine. Otherwise, it's kind of useless

Someone critique me pls.

SpoOoOOky!! ahaha jk, like it, like cortini, like ms-20 mini (i have one myself!)

i grabbed a used launchpad pro for 250 canadabux a few months ago. i'm pretty happy with it.

Starts out okay but quickly unravels.

Has absolutely no rhythm and the mix sounds like shit. Interesting timbre but yeah, quite awful.

clyp.it/cbfafwxd

Dark ambient, post-industrial minimalism. I think I've really stared into the abyss this time.

Why would ambient have rhythm? How do you suggest I improve the mix?

Was wondering, do you put out any tapes for cassette labels?

>Why would ambient have rhythm?
Why do you think Selected Ambient Works is so highly acclaimed?

Okay, maybe you're saying that's not ambient enough, but I could cite lots of other examples. Any kind of music in any genre is garbage if it doesn't have rhythm.

Are you kidding? I release exclusively on Edison wax cylinder.

If you're interested, I sell my work directly for cigarettes and organic kale salad.

This is just not true. A lot of albums like Second Women or artists like Arca don't hold a consistent rhythm and people love them. Including myself.

youtube.com/watch?v=S5QNRCNWYZE&list=PL8OLNhDAXlGtQKe6fZ8lmF1Yu8lJUyx7v

Do you know what the word rhythm means? The track you linked has a ton of interesting rhythmic elements going on. It's filled to the brim with rhythm. So is Arca's music.

clyp.it/0m33kojy has jack shit.

Drop a tape of shit like this pls thnx

I don't understand how my song doesn't have rhythm. Are you saying it doesn't have an interesting pattern? If so, I can agree with that, but to me it doesn't rhythmically sound bad.

I'm trying to understand what you mean so I can improve.

Will soon, I've been working on this album for like 8 months. Hopefully I can get it out next month.

Link when it happens

Aight, look up Dark Nasty on bandcamp if you wanna listen to my older stuff. And Nethernet Hotel if you like Vaporwave.

I'm also working on another album for the label Lost Angles.

clyp.it/xtri4jju

Posted this a couple of weeks ago, basically finished now. Thoughts?

really nice

clyp.it/duy2sluu
Looking for any feedback on this. Hard drum & bass, posted an earlier version last night.