Well?

Well?

maybe he did recognise them, he just didn't say anything about it as they didn't seem to recognise him

They're robots, not people. Why would they care about social conventions like that? You don''t have to be polite to them

C3PO had his memory wiped, and Obi Wan and R2 had reunion sex later when Luke wasn't around.

They're generic models of droids.
There's at least 3 droids in the original trilogy that look like C3PO with a different paint job.

He was looking at them from a certain point of view, he had the optical high ground etc.

Why didn't Rey sell BB8 then?

Because retcons and plot holes

And 3po has his memory wiped and r2 just speaks in beeps so they couldn't say anything. I'm also pretty sure you wouldn't want to walk up to some stranger and say hey I know your dad and he's darth vader but we want you to be a jedi no pressure though

She lived alone in the desert man, she was probably lonely. It reflects her own insecurity and not any kind of social obligation towards the robot

because the galaxy far far away is actually hell

>r2 just speaks in beeps so they couldn't say anything

People can understand those beeps. As is shown in rebels. Sure Obi Wan understand what R2 say.

>and r2 just speaks in beeps so they couldn't say anything

Luke and 3PO both understand him.

C3PO is 5'10, Obi Wan is only 5'8, how could Obi possibly have had the high ground?

how tall is r2?

Same reason he mentions Anakin wanted to give Luke his saber even though he never does mention anything like that in the prequels. My big problem with the prequels is it makes all the OT cast look like idiots or liars. Like, why does Obi-wan even say anakin wanted his son to have his sword if children were forbidden? So either Obi is lying to Luke or very forgetful.
Or George Lucas is a hack who can't even get his story right.

When the guy stated that they were worth so many portions, Rey realized something was up and decided to keep them.

Don't they translate his beeps in the X-Wing? So he doesn't really understand him.

If R2 had some important information like, "yo, Obi-Wan is holding out on you and I think your papa might have been Darth Vader", I think he'd tell Luke at the first opportunity.

Regardless, I'm 95% sure Luke understands his beeps outside of the X-Wing.

>it turns out as Vader he does want Luke to have the lightsaber, learn the force, and join him
Pottery, my man.

I always thought when he talked to R2 on Dagobah or somewhere else it was basically just him talking to himself and not caring what R2 said, but I could be wrong.

I'm p. sure Obi-wan knew that Anakin never said that. He secretly wanted Luke to train in the force and become a success, in a way atoning for his failure with Anakin. Of course he made that up.

It wasn't a physical high ground you idiot

Obi-wan didn't want Luke to know Vader was his father so as to not create any emotional hold-ups when he went off to destroy the empire

>calls someone an idiot
>can't detect obvious sarcasm and thinks the guy is serious

I agree, George Lucas really fucked up when he missed that in the OT

Boy, I really hope someone got fired for that blunder!

wait so did lucas even think about the prequels when he wrote the OT?

C3PO was custom built by Anakin when he was 8, how did it become a mass-production model?

Lucas is a hack. /thread

He thought long and hard about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

c3po was put together by Anakin, not built from scratch. He was just a regular protocol droid.

He wasn't custom built, but made from spare parts.

Anakin didn't custom build C3PO, protocol droids like him were already being mass produced before and he just made another protocol droid

which is dumb, because you would expect a kid to make his own robot instead of copy another design, but whatever

Maybe R2 doesn't have the capacity to keep memories for long?
I mean it's just a shitty astro droid. Why would it possibly need to remember everything it's been through?

Why didn't Rey use the high ground against Kylo Ren?

Butch didn't custom build car, Ford Mustangs like it were already being mass produced before and he just made another Mustang

which is dumb, because you would expect a kid to make his own car (???) instead of copy another design, but whatever

She did

owen lars doesn't seem to remember c-3p0 either, shit doesn't make sense.

because they're mass produced droids that spent most of their time with Anakin

Except Ford Mustangs don't exist in a science fantasy world with talking aliens, spaceships, and genius kids that can build robots and ships by themselves

Its a movie for kids thats how.
Fuck you.
Fuck shitar wars.

He was building it for his mother. Why would she need some whole new droid when a protocol droid can do it?

>People can understand those beeps
not in the original movies

Actually, every scene where Luke communicates with R2 is through a translator except possibly one. In the cockpit you'll see on the screen R2's beeps being converted to their alphabet that he reads from. 3P0 translates for him at Luke's home on Tattooine. There's one minor scene when they land on Dagobah that Luke talks to R2 but it's not clear if they're conversing or Luke is just talking.

There are other characters who understand the beeps and bloops of the various droids though. Luke just may not be one.

Maybe it was a kit

Just like you get kit cars

Like a Caterham 7

Cool droid Anakin!

While flying the X-Wing R2 is outside, therefore in vacuum, which means that the pilot can't hear him. His beeps are translated in the cockpit so that the pilot can read what he is saying.

A protocol droid is like an LG TV. An Astromech Droid is like a ps4. You can't recognise individual appliances man.

Lucas is a hack.

This. It's like running into a person and saying "hey, I remember this cup," or "hey, my friend used to have this fork." Also, although we see them when they're together, their time onscreen is probably less than two percent of their life. He didn't see them again until Episode 2 and after that only intermittently. He had his own droid. It'd make sense for him to not remember other droids he worked with.

Obi-Wan was lying. He was outed as a liar in ESB. This isn't hard to understand. He's deliberately making sure to not bring any of that stuff up. If he recognized the droids, he just pretended he didn't. He knew Anakin didn't say anything about wanting his son to have his lightsaber, but he didn't want to have to say "Here, I chopped your father's arm off and took this from him as I left his body to burn. I can still remember his bloodcurdling, unearthly screams of pain as the fire engulfed him. He was a good friend."

Why the fuck Anakin didn't free his mother from slavery?

And why didn't Qui-Gon Jin?
He's fine with trying to free Anakin by using his Jedi mind tricks on Watto but liberating another slave from him would be crossing the line apparently

Watto wouldn't listen when he tried to bring up Anakin's mother. Jedi mind tricks don't work on him anyway, he just used the Force to manipulate the dice after using his silver tongue to play on Watto's greed.

Because the jedi don't care about slavery. Actually it doesn't seem like they care about anything but the dark side and are only used as hired guns for the republic.

Then just kidnap her or some shit
He doesn't mind tricking Watto by influencing the chance cube, so why not just go all the way and steal Shmee too? She's a slave, remember, so I don't think it would be considered morally wrong.

why didn't Vader say to Luke "I see Obi Wan gave you my massage."

No.

Lucas wrote a single screenplay called "The Star Wars" which was mostly filled with bullshit like the Jedi-bendu, the Bogan Force, and Mace Windy. This giant pile of sloppy if interesting fantasy work was cooked down to the basic premise of the first movie, with some world building details for later.

When writing ESB he came up with a story about Luke redeeming his father, and a second story about Luke's sister who was hidden across the galaxy who trains to be a Jedi independent of Luke. Her story would be episodes VII - IX.

But Lucas has a messy divorce and was tired so they shoved the sister role onto Leia in a late draft of RotJ to wrap everything up. The prequels were likely just some bullet points up until the mid 90's.

Source: "How Star Wars Conquered the Universe"

I agree that they couldn't free her in first prequel without losing their cover. But why Anakin never tried to get his mom from the slavery after he became jedi.

Cool clock ahmed

>Luke, did I ever tell you these were your father's droids? We went on wild adventures together for over 3 years in the Clone Wars, and the little one even saved me from a swarm of buzz droids, yet I somehow don't recognize them anymore. They were good friends.

Because Lucas is a hack.

>Luke, did I ever tell you that while your father was training on Coruscant, C-3PO served your family (Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, Grandma Shmi, Grandpa Cliegg) for nearly 10 years? Somehow, your uncle didn't recognize Threepio when he returned to family's service.

>Hey Luke, did I ever tell you that all Jedi used to dress like homeless moisture farmers the same as I do, despite that still dressing like a Jedi is no good way to hide from Empire? It was a good robe though.

There really isn't any worthwhile excuse. That is just one of a dozen places where the prequels break continuity with the OT. If you're going to make a prequel you'd think that making it fit with the events of the original movies would be your top priority.

>Come here, Luke, today we will be training with this practice droid while you wear this helmet to blindfold yourself. You would think this was an impromptu training procedure, but no, we did this to younglings all the time and even built them special mini helmets. Right now you are literally worse than a child, Luke, like the ones your father killed with that lightsaber you are holding. He was a good friend.

>You must go to Dagobah, Luke, and seek out Yoda, the Jedi Master who trained me — well, actually, he's A Jedi Master who trained me. Before I moved up to Liam Neeson's service, I was one of the 20 younglings who went to Yoda's class every tuesday and thursday back in youngling school inbetween Jedi chemistry class and lunchtime. Nothing remarkable or mystic to our relationship at all. He was just my teacher who handed out droids and youngling-sized helmets to the class. Also, all his deep seemingly spur of the moment lessons and teachings from a true master are all fairly common Jedi sayings that he just butchers with his ghetto way of talking. A good friend, he was.

>Luke did I ever tell you about the days of the Galactic Republic? It was 50x technically advanced for whatever reason.George was a good friend

She has a bomb inside her.

To be fair, all we ever saw were backwater planets and remote areas.

He said he was going to go back for her when he finished his training. The issue was his training wasn't finished when she got nabbed. He took too long basically.

Hey but at least in the Special Editions we got a bunch of CGI prequel test-footage shoved in there so that we could see what coruscant and tatooine were going to look like in a few years.

ask lucas

R2 recognizes him, he recognizes them, C3P0's memory got wiped so he has no idea who Obi Wan is and the other two didn't want to confuse him

>People can understand those beeps.
In the original movies, I believe it's only when the droids are working as astromechs, because they talk through their display.

That's simple, Scooby must be heavy and lazy because of all the stuff he eats, so he doesn't run that fast.

>he was a good friend.

>R2 recognizes him
Then why doesn't he say anything to anyone?

Because they were never intended to be anything more than Leia's droids, but then they became marketing icons and were shoehorned into the prequels.

If Harry Potter was a horcrux all along why didn't he explode when the basilisk bit him in the second movie?

He's saying, but nobody understands, even 3P0