Boris is my favorite band. Ruin them for me

inb4 yea yea yea their recent albums are shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7xSlcsHk22g
youtu.be/hxsncrjy5xU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

boris is the best music to eat hot wings to

But yea yea yea their recent albums are shit
They haven't been consistently good in years.

they're one of those bands like Ulver with 10/10 concepts and 6/10 execution

they look cool
they act cool
they come up with cool ideas for albums
they give the albums cool art

the songs themselves are kinda' bland

they're a great band. Flood is their best album

>inb4 hurr durr it's too slow

>like Ulver
>the songs themselves are kinda bland

>implying their best isn't Feedbacker

exactly what I'm doing

I love Ulver, but let's be real: Shadows of the Sun is out of ideas by its second half, The Assassination of Julius Caesar has really only two enjoyable pop songs on it, even Blood Inside has as many weak tracks as strong ones, the concept on Messe gets old after the first song... it just keeps going that way

great concepts from albums I've decided that I love before I even listen to them, then I listen to them twice and never again

I'd would buy a piece of shit with the Boris logo on it . They're up their more me, I could never pick my favorite artists though .
I have to agree with this

I placed would twice , I'm retarded

Whats it like to be so wrong

that's just your opinion m8. no hatred for feedbacker, definitely my third favorite boris album. flood just sounds so beautiful to me

whats ur second user

I live in a pretty small town and bands don't usually come here. When I got into boris I found out that about a week before they played a show at a bar and the cover was only like $10. So pissed at myself

Amplifier Worship
are you me?

They really suck live. Out of time on most tracks. Not much variation.

I like them. A lot.
Obviously, there's a kind of "standard operating procedure" for Boris that you kind of get used to/get to know after a while (eg. a lot of "Noise" or "Heavy Rocks 2011"), but the albums that are more focused on a certain idea or sound (eg. Amplifier Worship, Pink, Feedbacker, Flood, etc.) are all pretty killer.
"Rock Dream" by Boris with Merzbow takes the cake, though, that's a 10/10 live album—maybe minus the really calm parts, but they're still cool. In my top 10 for sure.
Just like any band (well, most bands) that's been going for as long as they have, sometimes they get stuck in more "typical" patterns for songs, but their best/better works outweigh that by a lot, in my opinion. Even Noise had a number of quite memorable songs, even if that's not the best Boris album in their discography by a long shot.

>They really suck live
I beg to differ.
I just saw them play the Pink tour recently, they were great.

They're a huge influence and an inspiration on being entirely uncompromising with your music. They just seem to do whatever the fuck they want.
Top three songs:
1. Rainbow
2. You were holding an Umbrella
3. Dyna Soar

Top Three Albums:
1. Feedbacker
2. Pink
3. Dronevil

And god damnit I'd still fugg Wata

>Out of time on most tracks
I'm not doubting you, but what do you mean by this? As in not together? Because if they simply play a song at a different tempo than it's not really wrong

I really hope they tour for Dear, if that really is their last album and their last tour it will be my last chance to ever see them live

Listening to Gensho made me want to check out the original Heavy Rain and I fell in love in no time. What other songs from Noise would you recommend?

Ye I'm just giving you shit dude I haven't even listened to Flood, definitely will in the near future though. You seem like a cool guy.

I highly recommend it :^)

doubt it ruins anything for you but I have this

Angel is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Wait wait wait, I'ma go take pics of my Boris collection. I'm going into an autistic tizzy

do it do it do it

I used to live in North Carolina and apparently Boris is so fond of The Cat's Cradle they go there every single time they tour the US, and it's a super podunk venue out there.

I live in Colorado now and they have never been here lol.

Personally, I'm a fan of Vanilla and Taiyo No Baka the most from that album.
That said, though, I feel like Noise is the kind of album where everything is decent or good, maybe even great for some of them, but a lot of these ideas we've already heard explored a lot on some of their past albums.

I'm pretty much in the same boat.

I wouldn't consider stuff like New Album, Heavy Rocks II or that weird Trio of albums they did recently among my favorites but I still like them.

It's also cool to me that a band can produce Vein, Attention Please, Heavy Rocks and Flood and do them all pretty well.

I live 45 minutes from the cat's cradle, can confirm. It's a midsized little hole, but all the good bands love it, and so so do I.

Noise really feels like the trio is kind of tired of their thing, which is fair considering they've been at it for like 20 years.

Thanks guys, I'll just give the whole thing a listen later tonight :)

1/3

Is that Demo 1 or Demo 3? Nice grab btw

2/3

3/3

>that sticker on BXI

Where you from, senpai?

Not sure actually. It's a clear vinyl w black marbling, one of 110 copies.

Raleigh, NC area. RIP Edward McKay's Used Books and More. Was the best used CD store in the area.

Fucking knew it. No shit.

I used to work at Ed Mckay's in Raleigh. It's where I got into Boris in the first place.

And yeah, sad to see that it went belly up recently. Fuck Phil.

How old were you when you realized drone metal is trash?

it's 3
story?

I'm fairly sure I'm the only user in this thread who'll care, but: care to tldr the story, why it closed? Nobody I know knows why.

About Edward McKay? The owner, Phil, just sold the company (or at least that store) to some retail group that literally just closed the store with almost no notice, laying off all the employees effective basically immediately.

It was a great store with a great staff, so it's shitty to see it go.

t. couldn't get into Sunn O))) and now he lashes out about it

Their new albums aren't that bad imo

This. I feel like their problem with me is that they're pretty decent but they just don't stack up to all their 10s

I don't think anybody is lashing out except you.

ok pleb

So, I actually like a lot of their new albums. Especially Noise, I think it's one of their most solid albums. Most of their big albums sound like they're trying to stay within a certain set of predefined parameters, but Noise is the only one I can think of that sounds like they're just having fun making whatever music they feel like making.

There you go again.

Fine, I guess my response was unwarranted. What don't you like about drone metal? Although I would agree that it's easy to lazily imitate, there are some god-tier albums in the genre that make it hard to believe that you can just generalize the whole genre as shit

Noise was great. One of my favorites desu

>I don't think anybody is lashing out except you.
>"HEY GUYS DRONE METAL IS TRASH, I'M TOO GROWN UP FOR IT"

Stop taking the bait oneesamas. He's only trolling because he is jealous of people with passion.

It's extremely boring and doesn't take any skill to compose.

"Boring"
>that's just, like, your opinion, man

"Compose"
>Implying any popular music is properly "composed"

cool opinion

they never get too fast, or aggressive, or "groove," much even though their riffs are amazing. I dig the band, but I often find myself viewing them in the same way I view Rush, or King Crimson, legendary band with legendary music that I find, at times, difficult to listen to at any length of time. I also really love their album art. (wait, wasn't I suppose to make you hate them? why would I give a fuck to do that, enjoy them, user!)

>implying skill matters

There's nothing interesting about it. It's just someone playing whatever random guitar drones they want with a thick tone.
>properly "composed"
What does that even mean?
Of course skill matters. Nobody just pulls good music out of their ass.

my point is that you can make a good song without high technical skill. I think you're underestimating the amount of work that's done on a drone metal song to make a good drone metal song.

Summed it up perfectly. Absolutego and Flood are their best works, but Flood suffers from an underdeveloped drone/rock section. Amplifier Worship is a mishmash of half ideas. Dronevil is whatever as fuck. Haven't gotten to their other albums yet.

Any love here for Akuma no Uta? I think it's one of their most consistent ones, also it doesn't really overstay it's welcome.

>consistent
>Akuma no Uta
Pick one.

>9 minute drone piece
>3 minute hard rocker followed by 2 minute hard rocker
>12 minute beginning dreamy piece that forays into jam

But it's definitely their most digestible material.

def incredible, although I certainly wouldn't call it consistent, unless you mean consistently good :)

And I also love the way it sounds since they recorded it monaurally. I really wish all their albums were recorded like that. FUCK it feels so good to listen to as much as I don't like the album as a whole.

I wanna put my dick between her lil titties

That's mostly what I meant. It doesn't sag anywhere.

youtube.com/watch?v=7xSlcsHk22g

I never made any comments about technical skill. As far as I'm concerned, technical skill doesn't matter if the writing is good.
I don't think writing drone metal takes any effort. It barely even matters what's played since it all comes out sounding almost exactly the same anyways.

How can you listen to so many of their albums but miss Feedbacker, and more importantly, Pink?

Also, seriously, go listen to Rock Dream, it's like Feedbacker and Pink mashed together and then adapted for a flowing live performance.

youtu.be/hxsncrjy5xU

Here's a kinda rare pepe for you all: it's the ultimate drone song.

>28 minutes
>Sunn O)))
>Boris
>Dylan Carlson from Earth
>All on one track

>doesn't take any skill to compose
>muh punk and offshoots of punk are shitty music
>'80s guitar shred music is the epitome of artistry because it's so hard to do! What is wankery?

This is how you sound.

ffffuuuuckkk. they were supposed to come through my town and i was gonna get my Pink set signed. unfortunately they canceled the show. Is yours the pink/red vinyl set?

Probably my first Boris album.

Love the shit out of it, but can't say it's my 'favorite.' But I'm also a huge fan of the first Heavy Rocks album so I probably qualify as pleb.

Denver?

I was so fucking mad. Not necessarily at any of the band members, just about how the universe decided to fuck me the one time they came to Colorado.

>muh punk and offshoots of punk are shitty music
I like punk. It still takes skill to write an entertaining punk song even if it's simple and not technically demanding.
>'80s guitar shred music is the epitome of artistry because it's so hard to do! What is wankery?
You're getting the wrong idea. I don't care about technical skill. Can you read properly?

> thread is "ruin boris for me"
> everbody replies saying they love boris

I love boris

>Boris is just THAT good

I don't particularly love them. Like the first user said, they're a 10/10 concept with 6/10 execution.

I was first turned on to them via Dronevil. Spent a loooooooong time trying to like it, but I just can't. I'm making my way through their shit bit by bit. I really like A Bao A Qu off of Heavy Metal Me.

I was gonna shitpost about how mediocre Boris is but I don't have the energy to do it, hopefully this bait chart suffices though, good night.

nah, mpls. one of the dudes got very sick (i don't think it was wata). not their fault really, i was also very mad at the universe. completely shafted me on that one, my night was so well planned around that show. god, and they woulda been doing all of pink. fuuuuuckkkk. i still think about how good of a show that woulda been sometimes.

I love Boris.

I really like most of these albums. Guess I should try getting pegged sometime.

Yeah, that was the same for Denver. Takeshi or Atsuo got sick, and that sucks.

Metal fans going on about how they're real men because they listen to TRVE KVLT shit is always pretty embarrassing.
>muh you won't catch ME enjoying certain music because I'm a MAN! And my listening habits determine that I'm a man and not just an insecure manchild!
People on this board complain about how women supposedly "listen to music to make themselves look cool" and then these so-called "masculine" metal fans turn around and do that exact same thing, it's pretty pathetic to watch.

Also calling Boris "metal", while it does get used often, doesn't really quite capture what they're about, I think. "Experimental stoner rock" probably fits the bill better, but even then, they probably don't think of themselves as stoner rock, either, since nobody in Japan smokes weed.

hipster metal garbage

>It still takes skill to write an entertaining punk song
Not really, unless you're so braindead you can't string together three power chords and a catchy melody on top of it.
>You're getting the wrong idea. I don't care about technical skill.
Oh, so '80s shred is easy to COMPOSE?
>Can you read properly?
I don't know, can you?

>I was first turned on to them via Dronevil.
Yeah, that's a…bit of a weird place to start. Not bad, but there's catchier stuff out there that they've made which is usually better and easier to like.

Maybe not weed, but Takeshi is a big beer drinker. Check their Instagram, pretty much every post signed -T is of several microbrews per night of whatever town they're playing in.
>tfw i wasn't twenty one yet the one time i saw boris and couldn't buy takeshi a beer and practice my japanese with him

Have yall heard that they're considering breaking up after their next album?

Supposedly Dear was gonna be a send-off album, as in "Dear fans, we love you". Now they're not as sure, but the end is prob near.

That first track they shared was ace as hell. I wouldn't be too sad if they stopped though, since Atsuo is getting a lot more jobs producing underground groups around Tokyo and doing a hell of a job with it (especially Endon - Mama).

You misunderstand. By saying something takes skill to compose, I'm not talking about complexity or technical requirements. It's more difficult to write a GOOD simple punk song than a not-so-good complex shred song.

I gotta look into that. Was the Boris/Endon collab good?

Eh. It was entertaining but don't expect anything incredible like Sunn O))) x Boris

bump