Can you use water instead of oil when cutting threads?

can you use water instead of oil when cutting threads?

yes

No

No numbnuts

what type of metal

maybe

Oil is best and safest method user

Just make sure you use tap water

wat? dubs central?

also, yes, water works.
depends on the material, and tool quality, but it's possible.

If you need to, you can thin about oil w/a bit of paint thinner.

Remember: A thin paint sticks to a thick paint.

Also: Three hairs and some air.

yeah but use plenty

Of course. Water and oil have essentially the same chemical structure, and can therefore have many of the same uses. This is why you can (in a pinch) use water in your car's gas tank

i use spit when I cant be bothered to get the oil can. works fine.

any lube is better than no lube your anus shoulda told you that

wat?

troll

Ok so
Water if it's not pure will let dirt in your tools
It can corrode your cutting tools, but I guess if you use it once only it won't hurt too much
Oil will make the job better anyways
Water is better than nothing, but not good

Would not recommend.

In a pinch, I've used a petroleum based penetrating lube like Moovit but you have to back it off and clear out the tap pretty frequently

Sort of. It'll most likely make the surface finish worse though and ultimately doesn't help a lot.
Oil isn't necessarily there to cool the metal, it's to stop chips from shearing too soon and to allow them to move into the chip grooves more easily.

If you're in a situation where you can use water then you're in a situation where you don't need lubrication at all. If it's brass or aluminum just don't use anything.

is it expensive?

neither

use cutting fluid you faggot

Depending on the quality of your tools, the surface finish might not even be that great anyways.

I bought a cheap tap/die set for my home shop and they do such a shitty job. My company buys good shit and its a night/day difference

oh you Bob :^)

Super glue works best.

This is the only correct answer

the oil is mostly for keeping the tap in shape, and for collecting the shavings

Yeah cheap home depot ones always leave crappy crests and roots.
Not using lubrication will make the crests look really rough unless it's a good quality kit and it'll probably chip the occasional crest, but it'll still work most likely.

Honestly though any oily shit would probably work in a pinch. Toss some olive oil on there and see what happens lol

It's actually p good for tapping and cutting polymers especially acrylic because it cools it off preventing melting

>aluminum
oha
>don't use anything on aluminium
oha oha

alcohol/ethanol/isopropanol works best for aluminium

>brass
there are like 23 types of brass.
some need nothing, some can't stand something, some work better with cut fluids, some with alc, some with oil

would mineral oil/baby oil work?

extremely

Would work well on plastics as well, but be careful as the water would make it swell a few thou

You'd just have to try it. Usually people just buy cutting oil, they don't go searching for random household oils that replace cutting oil lol

Really depends on how soft the material is. Like it'll go through aluminum without lube it just looks ugly.

water is the best coolant out there. shame it rusts parts and tools in left unchecked.
water + soluble oil is the best bet but water will do fine

>plastics
I had a shit ton of plastic grocery bags laying around and wanted to do something with them. chopped them up and melt them in hot mineral oil and you can mold them into any shape you want. works bretty good.

Boss made me use a new kind of oil a tool rep brought us to sample. I tapped a couple of holes with it and said it worked ok but was too liquid for my taste. Turns out it was the boss' piss sample for insurance. True story.

What are you working on that requires cutting threads? Can't you just buy a new one?