Human population has doubled over the past 50 years

>human population has doubled over the past 50 years
>no significant IQ drop
>there are absolutely no great composers anymore

Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P8opBj1LjSU&t=759s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

People want NEW sounds. The best musicians are the ones pushing boundaries and making great new and interesting sounding music. No composer today is even attempting to make anything new or exciting within the genre of classical because it would be 'blasphemy'.

Why make classical music when you can't even improve on something from 200 years ago ?

That's not the case, you pleb.

People take music for granted. Music is cheap. Music is easy to access. Music is disposable. Music is passive, and doesn't require attention or dedication. Music isn't an event. Music is background noise. Music isn't art. Music is a product.

Back in the classical era, music was art. Music was an event. Music was an escape from your everyday life. Music was something you saw at a theater or a concert hall. Music required your attention. That's why music was so good back then.

oversaturation and fewer barriers to entry because of technological advances. also we're not far enough away from it yet to judge it properly

100 years from now we'll know who the greats were

also as a fun side note, the fucking captcha is a highway sign from the city i grew up in, weird man

Fair point, but have there been any musicians over the past 50 years whose body of work is as impressive as say Stravinsky or Bartok?

You are exactly the type of person that holds the classical genre back. Maybe I'm missing the bait though.

There have been great composers but they have worked in movies. Composers need to make money and unfortunately movies pay the best but don't afford as much freedom or time as a ballet/play.

How do I hold the genre back? All I want is for people to pay attention to music, and not treat it like a disposable product. I love experimental music. I love artists who take chances.

I feel like you're correct.

Yes there is faggot, his name is Paul McCartney.

This. John Williams and Hanz Zimmer are our Mozart and Beethoven

Then what was the argument you were making against my original comment? We're on agreement on that. It's just that some people treat music at a higher value than others. What pushes music is new sounds, which from what I've seen have been ignored for the most part in the genre.

Admittedly, I only read part of your comment and I thought you were implying that nobody wants to hear classical music because it sounds "old" and "stale" and that modern pop music is somehow better because its newer.

I would say Frank Ticheli makes some decent compositions for a contemporary artist

But yea, modern composers have really dwindled

>Frank TIcheli

Out of all the modern wind ensemble composers why'd you choose the most immature sounding one?
My personal favorite is Maslanka

Pink floyd and radiohead

That's a funny way to say Paul McCartney and the Beatles

This but unironically

IQs are pseudoscience OP

There would be if classical music was still popular, but it isn't. Not shitting on it, I love to listen to some Mozart every once in a while but people generally don't listen to it. Anybody can get Fruity Loops or arrange a 4 piece band and develop talent, but how in the fuck do you find an orchestra these days?

Isn't it literally the opposite? Composers became so obsessed with making new and exciting sounds that made no sense to anyone else that people started turning to jazz and pop instead.

Pop and Jazz were the new sounds

Lol what the fuck is this nonsense. Half or more of classical music made today is academic avant-garde shit.

Rec some. I have yet to see this.

Most wind band composers are a hit or a miss and Ticheli is no exception. I love Angels in the Architecture and Dancing on Water though. But his symphonies are baaaaaaaad

>most immature
that would be Robert W Smith

>Angels in Architecture
Good taste. I really love that one too.

>Hit or miss
I can see what you mean. I've seen plenty of other people say that that's how they feel towards him.

You're missing some key ingredient for greatness: a musician today has so many old and new genres around him, where do you start? not to mention a modern person is plagued with distractions (social media is one of the biggest problems). This also applies for scientists.

The other one is patrons, it was a "pure art" situation for the great composers, while you're just a regular worker nowadays.

Pet sounds. Miles Davis. Some Aphex Twin hipster shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=P8opBj1LjSU&t=759s

There's more empirical evidence for IQ than multiple intelligence theory

>there are absolutely no great composers anymore
actually there are.

John Psathas, Haas, Lera Auerbach, Ferneyhough, Arvo Part, Lachenmann, Tristan Murail, Penderecki, just to name a few who are actually alive.

If you look into the contemporary classical world you will see there are many composers doing great things in many different styles, from tonal to atonal, simple to complex and all the shades in between.

what on earth is going on in this thread?

Steve Reich

I seriously hope this is bait

You gotta be fucking kidding right. I mean Hans Zimmer makes nice sountracks that fit his movies really well but musically and artistically he doesn't even come close.

What do you guys think of Olafur Arnalds?

Elegy for evolution specifically.

you know how iq works right?
the average will forever be 100

No FUCK Frank Ticheli

>music was art. Music was an event. Music was an escape from your everyday life. Music was something you saw at a theater or a concert hall. Music required your attention.

it still is you autistic retard

>
kys moron

No, it's not. You can listen to music wherever you go, even if you're not interested. And that's a problem, because the major players in the culture industry don't care about art for art's sake, but as a mean to create profit for them.

>who is Thomas Adés

wow I was gonna post "weak b8" but you already have four fucking replies not including this one so bravo.

protip: classical is still being made, and it is still innovating, and it is still meant for attentive listening and artistic value, the problem is that older people shun new classical for not sounding like old classical.

so yeah, who's really holding music back?

Philip Glass

you have to be joking

This, I waited for it :*

Fuck no. The only decent film composers ever were Prokofiev and Bernstein. Zimmer just stole from romantic era composers.

>come here to post this
>see someone else already has (although it took 38 replies)
>faith in certain circles of humanity restored

Also,

/thread

different priorities. There have been plenty of great physicists and surgeons since then. Music is cheap nowadays.

see