Is having higher intelligence more of a burden than an advantage?

Is having higher intelligence more of a burden than an advantage?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
reddit.com/r/iamverysmart/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Higher intelligence means smarter
More self-aware means maddness.

If you have to ask that question you're probably just a narcissist.

I know that I don't know

Definitely, yes O analize far more than the average person, I can't "just be" I always need to think about something. Unless im stoned.

higher intelligence is fine. existentialism is a disease

Depends on where you live.

I dunno you feel pretty euphoric all the time

The real answer to that question depends on whether or not you're a pussy. Some folks are too nice to use their natural advantages.

Yes because you realize how many idiots youre around.

Intelligence is the greatest red pill

its an advantage for the wise, a burden for the fool.

It depends how you use your intelligence, if you use your intelligence to make money is an advantage, if you use your intelligence to see the world and the people as they really are, you kill yourself.

no you're just an imbecile who can't be bothered to try comprehending what the question is about.

sometimes too much intelligence can be a burden because it causes you to be aware of all the fucked up shit in the world and how ineffectual we are in changing them. Never heard of ignorance is bliss?

It really depends on how much you use it.

If you are the "wasted potential" kind of guy you are more likely to live a depressing life

No, he was right, OP is a narcissist.
You probably are too, its ok.

shit bait mate

Intellect, wisdom, and memory are all different facets. Each with their own advantages and disadvantages. All I can say, Sup Forumsrother, is that "all things in moderation" is something you should accept.

As a person many people in my social group refer to as really smart, exactly this is my problem.
Always thinking about things and theorizing in the back of my head. Its pretty cool, considering the fact you can end up with really interesting conversations, depending on the people you hang out with, but it mentally wears me out at times and that's when I just don't want to keep thinking so I reach for the bud. But when I can't it can drive me pretty much fucking mad.

This is pretty relatable too, considering sometimes when people I know behave like dumbasses, it can be pretty annoying, especially when the dumbasses are really stubborn.

This
This
This

No.

Narcissism makes people believe they are the world's saving grace. The messiah to save everyone.

Intelligence is only a burden in that it's hard to find stimulation.

no b8 here m8

>people seam to think I'm flawed and don't like spending time with me
>it must be because of my high intelligence.

Yeah pretty much. The only time i can enjoy the mental stimuli of the average person is when i'm stoned.

realizing that the world is fucked up beyond your imagination that it can turned your world upside down and make you ruminate excessively isn't narcissism. that's why i mentioned that ignorance is bliss because it's true, the less you know the happier you usually are. having the intelligence to be aware of horrible shit and not caring about it just means you're an asshole or an uncaring sociopath or psychopath.

Read an article on this recently. Everyone seems to be saying the same thing so i thought i'd throw my hat in the ring as well. It seems that 'higher intelligence' is a pretty broad term and is actually better described as having a more adept thought process than the ordinary person. Essentially, people with this type of 'gift' (if you want to call it that) are more prone to obsesse about things and often become victims of depression or other mental disorders because they literally think themselves into a hole they can't get out of. The question people often have is, what is this hole? How do they get inside it? Well, thats part of the problem. It's not that not everyone can understand how these people think, its that if anybody thinks particularly hard about it they'll eventually find themselves in the same situation of overthinking things. So more realistically, people who think too much and are more conscious are considered 'more intelligent' because they spend more time (often against their will) just completely over exaggerating every scenario of life they come across and because too involved with their own psychie. Short story is, don't think so much. Sit down, relax, have a beer, enjoy life. Don't worry about things you don't need to worry about.

>The only time i can enjoy the mental stimuli of the average person is when i'm stoned.

thats cuz you have no social skills buddy

No you are right. I think our definition of intelligence just differs.

I think intelligence is being able to both understand and apply.
I think dwelling on life's problems means you are able to understand them. But i wouldn't consider someone an intelligent person unless they are able to apply themselves and do something with that knowledge.

For people with autism it is as your social competence is significantly lower

i suppose so. intelligent people tend to be less happy and are not easy to satisfy.

ignorance is bliss is true for a reason.

This user is right. The world IS fucked up, mostly because people's priorities aren't set for a utopia for all, but a paradise for oneself.
But why even argue about it on Sup Forums? Most people here are ignorant autists anyway.

As a person who is reminded daily by my friends that I'm smarter than them as well as being very social as told by the fact that even the people I hate love me, I can't really find stimulation in hearing who they fucked or beat up the day before.
I'll try to make it relatable because some people on here will just think I'm being a smartass who is trying to show how "cool" I am on le secrit meme club.
Its a difference between experience and the things you know, like when you were 8 it was fun to look at a person doing card tricks because it seemed like magic, but now that you're 18 you are likely to not even look back at it because you know how it works. At some point you just don't relate as much to things that keep other people happy because you see through certain things and they get boring really fast.

just because you are able to apply your intelligence doesn't mean it will work on the problems. that's where the mountain of shit where we feel ineffectual comes in. the more intelligent you are the more deeply you can understand the horrors of the world and all its intricacies and nuances, it doesn't mean you can solve them though or at least come to terms with them without becoming depressed.

why do you think psychologists and psychiatrists are always up there for careers who commit suicide? because they understand the human mind so well and it's connection to life's problems that they become depressed and take their life.

OP here.

I'm definitely not a narcissist... I'm just a very curious person and think about philosophical stuff all the time. I've got empathy and listen to others, unlike narcissists.

I see what you're saying about seeing the world as it really is, but why should I kill myself because of this? I'm not stupid.

I've thought about this, and am trying to avoid becoming "wasted potential." I think I might be depressed at this point in my life right now.

I think I agree with that article. I'll definitely use your advice to not overthink everything and just live.

Last thing, why is it so hard to meet a smart girl? Every girl I meet these days are just vapid and have no substance. So uninteresting. Not all of them, but most of them. Once I get past their looks and sex, it's hard to have stimulating conversations with girls after I'm done fooling around with them. They can't get passed the small talk and go into the deep stuff. It's like I lose all of my interest in her because I have to keep her entertained... But maybe just the girls I've been with have been boring and I just haven't met the right girl yet. Who knows.

It is when you're surrounded by so many base people. But tonight I had an amazing time talking to buddies who have existential thought, it was incredibly refreshing and gave me motivation to keep going.

What do you think smart girls like to do? Well, that's how you find them.
Also I've read that women tend to have average intelligence while men have a tendency to either be very much or little intelligent. Maybe that explains something

Me. I have Aspergers and hate being with these fucks but I had a great time with some great people tonight so I'm refreshed.

>I see what you're saying about seeing the world as it really is, but why should I kill myself because of this? I'm not stupid.
I'm not talking about you OP, you pretentious faggot, i'm talk about Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Socrates, Seneca, Democritus... Those kind of losers.

>Those kind of losers
I bet you'll manage to archive as much as they did. fuck off you fucking kike

People in this thread make me fucking cringe

>im sad cuz im smart ;(

no, you're sad because your life is shit and your intelligence has nothing to do with it
in fact if you actually believe intelligence leads to sadness you're probably not very smart

Yeah Op, you are not very smart.

>retard can't even engage in the most rudimentary philosophical question relating to the human condition without shit posting and putting others down so he can feel big
>most assuredly hates self and projecting

depends on how you use it

lmfao you're just using big words but you clearly have no education in philosophy
it's easy to tell because no big philosopher has seriously taken this issue head on because the answer is obviously that intelligence and happiness are two distinct parts of a person

I'm very intelligent because I can think of why the world is bad.
I am special but I can't do anything about it because that's as far as my intelligence takes me. I will never actually do something about it and hide behind the veil of "it's pointless, people are shitty" instead of actually pursuing my goals and maybe living a fulfilling life.

But it's ok, I am very intelligent.

they're two distinct parts of a person that are inevitably intertwined and have to interact

first sign of a shit-posting imbecile is citing "big words" when the biggest word is "rudimentary"

That's the problem of this generation, they want to be philosophers, political scientists, economists for vanity but they're too lazy to get a fucking book and study.

there's literally no one in this thread arguing that you shouldn't try to overcome your demons, problems or ruminations.

I read some quote one time... the more intelligent you are directly correlates to how miserable you are.

rudimentary was used out of context so obviously the poster just used it because it was a big word
the phrase "rudimentary philosophical question" makes me cringe

This is something stupid sad people tell themselves to justify their sadness

An intelligent person would do something using their knowledge.

Someone who just thinks over and over all of life's woes isn't intelligent. just depressed.

It only becomes a problem if you're just sitting at home thinking about things.

That's a sure way to invite depression into your life.

Start with a strong dose of en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect , chase with reddit.com/r/iamverysmart/ , then a come on back n find a nice cringe thread.
Why not keep this one open on a tab

that poster was me and it wasn't used out of context, but you don't seem to understand the concept of using something out of context, i think you mean I applied the word incorrectly which I didn't either

also "rudimentary philosophical question" is a valid way to describe what I mean but you're clearly a moron so i guess making sense elicits a negative response from you

secondly you're not even rebutting what I said about happiness and intelligence being intertwined and interacting

shit poster and shit bait confirmed, kek

an intelligent person can be applying their knowledge and still be depressed or at least not as happy as someone that is just ignorant. you seem to think that just because you are using your knowledge that that guarantees happiness, oftentimes coming to terms with things enough so that you can get off your ass and do something about it is a road paved with hardship and negative feelings.

as a millennial economist, can confirm.
please pay me for nothing so i can continue to get drunk and be sad about my existence which isn't really that bad compared to those in developing countries. part of the pain comes from realizing other people have it worse. 11/10 for irony

You are a narcisst and probably not even very smart. Your first sentence proofed it. If you think you are smart try to learn something scientific and help humanity instead of bragging on the Internet what a smarty you are.

Probably the most self aware post in this thread

Why do you feel Existentialism is a disease? Are you saying just takes things as the go and stop believing free will make a difference?

I second this tbh.

Burden: only for those with neither motivation and social skills....

Absolutely, comprehending just how fucked everything is can take it out of you.