ITT: Overly ambitious albums

ITT: Overly ambitious albums

its the opposite of that

bad doesn't mean under ambitious.

what the fuck is wrong with that art? the contrast is all messed up.

I hate this album so much. I haven't felt such passionate hate for a project in years. It's like I'm 18 again.

Yeah I see your point

why? You obviously disagree with the sentiments on the album so you wouldn't like it to begin with. So why even give it the time of day and even post about it?

The Pop Group - Y

I liked his previous output. This was jarringly bland and uninspired compared to both Honey AND Fear Fun. In fact this album is so bad it actually retroactively makes those LPs worse. It really is one of the biggest turds I can remember. Awful awful LP all around.

i don't think its bad or good. its just who he "really" is

What about it is uninspired? I don't really get what you see in it? It's filled with really personal self commentary, just take the title track alone. For example, the whole verse about being born with a brain too small to fit all our needs and how we are left to trust those who raise us, and culture to fill the gaps in the very way we live.

I kinda don't see how that's bland. It seems more that you might just disagree with him, which is fine but it's not bland or uninspired

I don't think anyone here knows what overly ambitious means
Except you

I think Josh Tillman, as an actual person, is much more interesting than he gives himself credit for. This meta-post-ironic half-baked political analysis shit that he's doing just reeks of insecurity to me, like he feels like he has to put up this ridiculous character to get people to care. I liked Fear Fun and ILYHB because, beneath the sarcastic nature of it all, I felt like I was actually getting a sense of who Josh Tillman really is. Chateau Lobby #4 is one of the most beautiful songs he's ever written, in part because it doesn't feel like he's putting up a facade

The definition of overly ambitious

listen to it louder

Very ambitious, so much so there was a great deal of trouble in producing it.

Damn good though. Crazy amount of variety, pretty long, funny, and novel being from South Africa and all. Only big negative is that the second disc can only be found in 128kpbs

kek, sad but true

so overambitious that it took 50 years for the most complete release and even that isn't "canon"

I think that was beginning to crack recently, no offence or anything. We were a bit worried.

>Be Here Now
Jesus I can't think of a more overly ambitious song than All Around the World

It's clear that you too know what it means.

Not that guy but I'm in the same boat.
It's not that I disagree, and I actually enjoy that song, but for the most part he is just rambling with poor lyrics and mediocre music.
His other albums had an art to its commentary, he would bitch a little in his songs and have one or two that were over the top and grand, complaining about the surrounding culture.

This album is different, it feels boring because he isn't saying anything different. This alone doesn't make his words useless nor the album bland, but everything just seems dull. Doesn't seem as authentic as his past works.
I of course can't judge and artist's intentions properly and I don't dislike FJM, but to me this album seems half-baked both lyrically and emotionally.

Pretty much what was saying, FJM was a sarcastic asshole but behind it all he was a human being wanting to love and be loved. Even his commentary had a tinge of of irony to it, but that is all lost in his new album.

thank god it's good

A groveling hour long piano ballad is ambitious nowadays?

Really? I thought he played it pretty safe with this one. It was definitely worse and less ambitious than Rodeo

TFTO is proof that sometimes overambition can be a good thing

Strangest hip hop album ive heard

I might have just interpreted the thread the wrong way, but I feel like Birds in the Trap tried to have a very artistic concept and ideas too it, but it was mostly just basic trap songs. It even had that short artsy movie to go along with it, that was mostly pointless.

so good tho

>2 sec in
>.. in the Kepler Solar System
fucked the entire thing up

Chinese Democracy

liked this better than rodeo