What is Sup Forumss opinion on antidepressants?

What is Sup Forumss opinion on antidepressants?

I think they are bullshit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q06YIWCR2Js
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>antidepressant
Dunno. But I am on a selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor, and it really balances the broken melatonin/serotonin cycles in my body chemistry (went ~3 months w/o REM sleep in college, don't try this at home kids). As a bonus, this drug levels out the enormous negative side effects I'd been experiencing, many of which are comorbid with crippling depression.

none of that shit you just said even exists

you just a low energy faggot who is looking for an excuse to be mediocre

well congrats, you found it

SSRIs are a form of anti depressants. And in general anti depressants are horse shit, that the VAST majority of the population doesnt need

very usefull for a short period of time.

How?

Dey guud

I wasn't talking about the general population. Just one man's experience. You may well be right that SSRIs are overprescribed. I haven't seen the data.

None of what exists? REM sleep? Melotonin? College? SSRIs?

>random retards on Sup Forums makes claims that fly in the face of 20+ years of rigorous empirical research

well, i don't know about you guys, but I'm convinced.

youtube.com/watch?v=q06YIWCR2Js somewhere in this video he mentions a pill that you take that will make ur brain be happy all of the time

they arent the one pill fix solution people think they are.

They have a place in treating depression.
For Me, I found when shit hits the fan with depression and I spiral like a sack of rocks out of a plane, they are perfect for that, they switch me off from feeling.
and I stay on them for a few months while everything settles, and during that time, you gotta really push yourself to try and sort out your shit ; just dont push too soon - leave it a few months.
Then you're in a better place to consider coming off them....

... I found I'm ready to come off them when I feel exactly the same as when the depression started, - like if a normal person took them, it would fuck them up and make them feel funny.

They work teamed with other stuff, so courses on depression and anxiety, maybe even councelling. depends on your circumstances of why you have depression.

you may need to leave your gf, if you have one, she could be depressing you, or it might be your job.... where you live.
what ever it is you gotta identify the cause and work towards eliminating it, dealing with it or what ever.

What are you even talking about?

I definitely feel like anti depressants are over prescribed. Cant deal with your shit? Here just have some pills. I wonder why more and more people are starting to rely on shit like that....

>What is Sup Forumss opinion on antidepressants?
>I think they are bullshit.

Decades worth of empirical research strongly suggests that antidepressants aren't "bullshit", you fucking mongoloid. That's what I'm talking about.

>its not bullshit that i have to take pills when my fee fees get hurt :(

Kek

got me bruh. i'm now convinced that antidepressants are bullshit.

what other scientific theory should we share our opinions on?

Personally, I think this whole gravity thing is horeshit. What do you think?

>calls me a mongoloid when citing his "20 years worth of research"

Maybe you should look into that shit a little more. Yeah the research shows it helps the patient, funny thing is that research also shows that those benefits are hardly different than the patients who were taking a fucking dummy pill. Retard.

Eh. Tremendously over pushed on people that don't need them or are contraindicated by young age. But they do work for some people, so they have their place.

Most of the population is on something at this point even if it's alcohol or not every day. There are still millions of people that aren't substance dependent, but I feel it's shrinking as the first world (for lack of a better term) develops. Partially because of how accepted it is now, partially because we're chimps that weren't even really meant to domesticate animals and live in one spot until recently.

Personally I've been using kratom to get through college, but I'm about to graduate and can't be using that crutch my whole life. I've thought about SSRI's to deal with the impending rebound depression, but I'd just be trading one monkey for another.

I have a family history of serotonin deficiency though, so if things get too bad when I'm working out, eating right, socially fulfilled, etc, I might consider it in the future.

I take one, it works for me, and I'm going to keep taking it.

Go ahead, post your shitty YouTube link that explains it all, grandpa

Well, I'm working on finishing up a PhD in cognitive science -- so I've had some exposure to the research on SSRIs etc.

>dummy pill

I'm assuming you're referring to a "placebo". Taking a placebo pill isn't going to block the reuptake of serotonin, which increases the amount of serotonin available. Serotonin availability, among other things, is related to mood.

So SSRI's do exactly what they're supposed to do. They block the reuptake of serotonin. We know that serotonin is related to mood. We know that there are biological makers of depression, and many of these have to do with serotonin availability.

Your mileage may vary on the benefits of SSRIs, but it is strongly suggested that individuals on SSRIs use them in conjunction with some kind of counseling.

Thats fine. I have never said that maybe some people dont need them. I am just saying for the most part, the vast majority of people DONT need them. And thats why they are bullshit in my opinion. I feel like you have dont want to deal with their shit going and getting on these pills, which then create a problem that might not have been there in the first place. Thats great for making money though.

ssri's are incredibly helpful in acute to chronic depression and depressive reaction cases.

I have take them myself and they did help.

That said I was not eager to stay on them.
There is a slight subjectively bogus quality to the feeling of better mood, and there are some side effects, which vary among the different drugs. But it does make it easier to walk down the street, when before one wanted hide under a blanket all day or cry. It beats isolation, inactivity, social and career failure, psychosis, suicide, all risks of untreated depression.
But.
They are way overused for mild to moderate anxiety disorders, which they only partially treat in my opinion. It's a big problem that people, more often women, will stay on them after a depressive episode to keep their anxiety at bay.
ssri's become a crutch to avoid changing the behaviors that lead to anxiety problems (insecurities, procrastination, traumatization, etc.).
Especially when combined with xanax,
So take 'em as you need 'em but after 3-6 months make sure you are seeing progress and do cognitive work with your pschologist/counselor/shrink or someone qualified who can help with the harder part, changing your attitudes and behaviors to reduce recurrence of the problem.

But even if you do have to stay on them forever, probably better for you than being a pathetic sad until death.

Then antidepressants aren't bullshit, our pill pushing MDs are bullshit. Which is something I agree with.

We get a lot of people stigmatizing mental health issues -- it doesn't help anyone. My brother almost killed himself because he was suffering from an unmedicated bipolar disorder. He found the right medication and now it's a night and day difference. He had friends telling him that he shouldn't take his medicine because it's "bullshit" -- based on nothing other than opinion and mistrust towards science.

me again.
forgot to add that while you may doubt it is helping you, the effect and improvement will be more obvious to everyone else.
So at least be open to it.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up, I agree with you.

I've been on Wellbutrin and short term on Abilify. I think one or the other has made me anemic, and I've worked my ass off to come off of them. I'm off them now and I'm dealing OK. I've put in much more work through talk therapy, EMDR and meditation and I try to rely on that.

I do think Pharma companies have a vested interest in keeping you on these drugs and suppressing other competing (non-patented) drugs like Psilocybin and Ketamine that may work long term in treating depression with far fewer side effects. There's just too much money involved, especially when you are selling a customer a drug and then a second or third drug to deal with side effects.

Maybe. If they werent pushed so hard maybe I wpukd have a higher opinion on them. But as it stands I think they are kind of shit, because it makes people reliant on the pills, instead of them just dealing with whatever their issue is.

I dont know if I agree with this post. I know a few people who are on antidepressants and they just seem like they are on drugs. Which I would not necessarily classify as an improvement. I mean I guess it is better than the alternative, because when they dont have their meds they are unsufferable cunts, but thats just because they are so reliant on the meds that they freak out.....

I'm on Wellbutrin and its saving my fuckin life

Idk why you think it makes people reliant on them, you go on them because you have a problem it's not like fucking smoking

I'm glad your brother got the help he needed and the meds worked well for him.

I just finished listening to Andrew Solomon's Noonday Demon, and it's scary to realize how much of the brain we don't understand. I know the book is a bit dated in some cases, but still. Drugs may work in a lot of cases but we understand fuckall of why they might work on one person and not another. There's just so much that is unmeasurable and outside of our ability to accurately quantify.

It helped me, but fuck I had a great honeymoon period with it. I felt really, really confident and normal. Then I went sorta back to baseline. I did get some relief from the deepest trenches of depression however.

They suck until they start making them out of cannabis.

>people responding to bait

>people dont become reliant on their meds

Really??

Worked well for my depression and they don't have as many side effects as my other meds (the bipolar ones)

>itt mentally weak people defend their crutch

If you knew how primitive our understanding of the brain was you wouldn't blindly follow diagnosis. Fact is researchers are under immense pressure to publish and be confident in their work. But that is just not realistic at this point. People throw around scientific terms as if there is a solid underlying framework on which to work but that is not true. Our understanding of the brain will change in the next 15 years and neuroscience improves. It's the same thing with amphetamines. People say they have a deficiency or a disorder and it gives them the moral green like to take uppers. I'm not going to appeal to authority and take me word for it. Go read the primary sources on psych shit and see how medieval our understanding of the brain is.

And if you don't know how to read primary sources and you should learn, instead of fooling yourself to thinking you can take shit at face value because you think they wear lab coats

>gf has drs appointment
>just a general checkup, but says ahe is going to tell her dr about some anxiety she has been having
>i think it's stupid that she is gonna mention it since her anxiety doesnt seem like anything more than what most people experience
>pretty much already know how that is gonna go down with a dr
>she tells me how the appointment went
>went exactly how I knew it would
>dr prescribed her some meds and wanted to check up on her in a little over a month to see how she is doing
>if it didnt help the dr suggested she might some counseling as well
>gf asks how I feel about her being on meds
>tell her she doesnt want to know
>she isnsists
>tell her I think its fucking retarded
>she gets upset and says she needs to deal with her anxiety
>tell her taking medicine is hardly "dealing with anxiety"

Tbh drs handing the stuff out like candy are probably the biggest issue with antidepressants. Like how the fuck are pills a solution before something like counseling?