DCfan here

Can I just talk to you guys like regular people for a bit without all the trolling and shitposting?

Memes aside, I'm genuinely pissed at the direction WB is taking the DCEU. It's literally the complete opposite of where they should be going. As in they couldn't be more off the mark if they tried.

These are supposed to be larger than life heroes of legend, like the Greek gods of antiquity. That's part of why they take place in fictional cities like Metropolis and Gotham and Central City, and why they encompass broad themes, with each hero being the embodiment of certain ideals and values. We're supposed to be LESS "gritty and realistic" than Marvel, not more. We're supposed to be The Lord of the Rings to their Game of Thrones. While they're off tackling current issues like terrorism and class warfare or pop culture or whatever, DC is supposed to stand tall and be about the bigger questions of humanity and morality.

We're not about overly flawed characters, public outrage and convoluted plots, and we're definitely not about racking up body counts for shock value. I don't want the Hot Topic or ICP or black metal crowd, I want the American heartland crowd that remembers what DC heroes used to stand for. We're about rich colors, deep thematic contrasts, larger-than-life heroes and plots and razor sharp focus, not muddied scenes with washed out colors, aimless plots and characters who act irrationally all the time, unless that's specifically their character trait. Superman is paragon of hope who manages to embody the best of his humanity while effectively being a god. That's what makes him super. He's not a brooding, conflicted murderer with a martyrdom complex. And Aquaman is fucking royalty, he's a majestic king of the ocean, not a drunken shaggy hobo with too much eyeliner and anger management issues.

I'm not even really mad at this point, I'm just tired. I just want everything to reset, but I know that's not happening any time soon.

just don't watch DC FILMS it seems they are not for you.

you'll probably love marvel MOVIES

Stay mad DCuck

Stop...

Blame Diane Nelson

im being serious. OP needs to stop wishing DC Films were more like disney's marvel kid's movies

>dc FILMS
>marvel MOVIES
are you gonna tell me suicide squad is a film? What exactly does it say about its author, if it is one?

>more like marvel movies
Did you even read the fucking post?

He makes a good point. Superman used to stand for good, wholesome American values. But since the mindset of this country is changing so drastically maybe that's why they tried to portray a different set of characters. Nobody believes America is great anymore. And that cynicism seeps into popular culture.

God this country's fucked.

give it a fucking rest already jesus christ, you sound like you're 13

This is the best post on Sup Forums I've read all year, gg op. I agree with all you said, I would love to have seen a DCU like this, hope we still can one day.

I feel your pain m8 but there's something you don't understand:

here's how franchises work in hollywood: you take something good which pre-exists in people's mind and you turn it into something mediocre while turning a profit.

DC studios(and marvels, for the matter) are not elevating the source matieral,they're not keeping its legacy alive or anything of the sort. All that they are doing is turning a profit, milking a cow until its dead. In 50 years no one will know what DC or marvel was, appart from the people who made money killing it.

I think it's becase Marvel has set the standard for CBMs? that's why critics always go there thinkin it would be quips and shit but they get disappointed cause they cant appreciate and understand kinography.

who cares Snyder is literally God

exactly. BvS was pure unadulterated absolute kino.

WB cares about ticket sales. If going full Marvel ensures more ticket sales, then that's it.

Nothing else to talk about. Plebs are gonna plebs.

agree 100%. stop the Justice League movie, let Wonder woman be the last movie and come back to all this shit again in like 6 years.

actually, let bat-fleck have his batman movie and then stop.

>These are supposed to be larger than life heroes of legend, like the Greek gods of antiquity.
They are supposed to be whatever the writer wants them to be.

Fuck off with your "not muh superman!!11!" argument.

going "full marvel" just makes them look like copycat faggots and the fact they've consistently put out shit means the people who like marvel movies aren't going to suddenly expect DC movies to be different while alienating the people who liked what DC was doing.

Strangely, Marvel movies are doing DC better than DC does, and watchmen may have done more damage to the DCCU than any other source.

In Marvel movies, the colors are bright, the heroes are good, and there is a huge focus on detail. The captain america movies deal with some gritty issues, but mostly because those issues are things that are facing society today. It still gives them the superhero glitz and glamour, and relies on the broad themes behind each hero to work through them.

Meanwhile, the DCCU is being held hostage by Zack Snyder, who bungled watchmen, but still somehow got retained. Because Snyder is a hack, he only knows how to do more of the dark grittiness that was appropriate for watchmen.

>We're not about overly flawed characters, public outrage and convoluted plots

I'm beginning to think that when you said you were a DC fan you were actually lying.

I'm no Snyder apologist, I still maintain he should be a cinematographer instead of a director, but It's pretty obvious it's the execs running WB that have been fucking things up since the start with their backseat meddling like having screenwriters compete with their drafts and then hiring a hack to combine them all together, John Peters-esque visual demands such as Penis Coffins and Word Engines, re-shoots, inefficient focus testing and competing edits. It's pretty obvious they have no business making these sort of movies and are too old fashioned, coked out and chicken to simply trust the more capable people they hire to do their goddamn jobs.
They're as bad as Sony.

Snyder isn't just a hack, he's a moron. People kind of enjoyed 300, they thought it was a kind of ironic guilty pleasure, but it turns out that Snyder has no sense of irony, none whatsoever. He actually thinks that homoerotically oiled up roidmonkeys fighting each other in slow motion are about as cool as it gets. The man has no conception of the absurdity of his product, he thinks that hamfisted unsubtle symbolism is deep and meaningful, rather than what it actually is, which is hamfisted and unsubtle. The producers have made a fair few mistakes, but the biggest one was hiring Snyder to oversee the DC universe.

If the flashpoint paradox had been live action he would have been an ok choice but for a more fantastic and sensational DC type of movie they need a director that has worked in that area before and a writer that can tie it all together in a more simplistic way.

also, a different fucking production company. Maybe legendary on their own could have done a better job.

Hit the nail on the head OP.
What the jokers running the shots at WB don't seem to get is that even at its "grittiest" (i.e. the endlessly copied yet seldom understood The Dark Knight Returns), Batman is still a very ideological John Wayne type figure.
And even as he sported a mullet or joined the Blu Man Group, Superman is this Paul Bunyan type figure loaded with Moses and Jesus parables that go beyond him standing conveniently in front of a stained glass window and then dying because of CGI overload. These, more so than Marvel, are the all American pantheon, mythological creatures living in mythological universes that are there for the audience for escapism and comfort, not aimless deconstructionism or worse, Snyder's Objectivism which stands in direct conflict with everything that cape comics in general stand for, begging the question why he isn't working on something else, like The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck movie or something (please no though...).