Question:

Question:

How often do employers check your education on during a background check?

Cause I lied. Just wondering if it's a common thing to check. I've heard it's usually just criminal checks.

It depends on how crucial the education is.

What's the job, and whats the education you stated?

Job is tech support for a reasonably small company. Told em I have a 4 year college degree.

you're fucked

As long as you can do your shit why would they even need to check. If you applied at Timmy's or something they don't give a shit because checks take time and money.

They'll PROBABLY ask for proof for a technical skill based job like, ya dummy.

I can definitely do the job, but it's not a random hourly job. It's full salary, albeit entry level.

they probably wont check the degree as part of the interview process, but they might require you to give them a copy of the cert to keep on file after the fact.

I'd be more worried about the penis inspection tbh

well, guess we'll find out. I just cant imagine them asking for a diploma or something. Seems weird to me.

Just have confidence when you speak. As long as you don't majorly fuck up nobody will check. And if you are a good worker why would they fire you if they find out?

ya goofed ya faggot but maybe you'll get lucky ya faggot

yeah, that's been my plan. I'm a pretty good liar / bullshitter and I know how to do everything required for the job, so I'm hoping that'll be enough.

I mean, I wish you the best of luck with it, cuz fuck colleges, but that is a salary job so just don't fuck up.

why would they fire you if they find out?
you're right, why would they not want a worker who has literally lied to you as the first thing they do.

Off topic kind of but does anyone know how in depth background checks go? Can they find accounts you have that aren't under your name for example?

We elected Trump

Just be yourself bro!

It would be trivial to find a degree and photoshop your name/info onto it.

yeah, I've thought of doing that. The main thing I'm concerned is if they do a full background check on it though. I assume that they could contact the school and find out I never attended etc

Not uncommon to ask

I may look in to forging one if it comes to it

It depends on what kind of background check. Some are based around convictions and those can go back for varying periods of time. Others can involve social media. Depends on how well you've partitioned your normal stuff from your whatever accounts.

ACTUAL FUCKING ANSWER:

In HR we ALWAYS check, however it's done by a 3rd party. This 3rd party checks via public record of student loans. They no longer spend the time to communicate directly with each school for operational reasons (too slow).

If in the event you didn't take loans of any kind, they will escalate internally to call. Basically if it doesn't come up with an instant confirmation of your claim, they double check with a person.

This process allows for near instant turn around times but some room for error.

If you take out loans but don't finish school, it will hit as confirmed 99% of the time.

HR executive user.

TL:DR School verification is done by 3rd party who looks at loan history.

You have to sign off permission for them to contact your school. How many interviews have you had with this place?

any idea how common one that would find my educational info is?

Interesting. I did technically go to school for a while, just dropped out because it was miserable. Do you work for a larger company?

I've had two now. If I get a third, it would be for any HR related business.

>In HR we ALWAYS check, however it's done by a 3rd party.
thats fine, but:
>Job is tech support for a reasonably small company
HR at small companies can go either way. it's either completely contracted out (thorough background check) or the person who handles all the accounts does HR too (minimal background checks)

In my experience, the hr stuff usually happens after the last interview and before they officially hire you. Cause companies don't want to spend the money to verify stuff unless they want to hire you.

Have a shit ton of troll accounts on Twitter that I'd rather a potential employer not find. Even if I delete them, the damage has been done. They're not under my name though or linked to any of my main emails.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I guess it's a bit of a dice roll whether they check completely or not. To the user whos an HR exec, do you think I'm screwed?

They aren't aren't the NSA. Most companies will ask for social media info if they are going to check.

Interesting. (not op) But, i went to college for 4 years, didn't earn the degree (technical bullshit, not great grades). Basically, for most background checks I could claim whatever degree I wanted?

not that user: but you kind of shot yourself in the foot.
I'm in a tech support role at a small to medium company. In the interview process I was honest and said 'I did two years of a degree but didn't complete it, after realising I'd rather work in a more hands on field'.

I could probably have faked up a diploma if I'd lied, but they were fine with it since skill and experience matters more than degrees for tech support.

At our company we found an intern candidate's facebook account, with him posing next to a 6-foot snow dick in his profile pic.

He got the internship.

If anything they want official transcripts. Hard to forge those because they have to notarized and signed by the registrar.

Depending on your experience, they don't really care.

For instance, no one has ever checked on my BS in information systems. (I asked if they did)

What if instead of loans, you applied for federal aid (and got it)?

IT infrastructure engineer here, no one ever asked me for proof of my BS, it's literally the very last line on my resume too.

My experience and references, they do check though.

I've head of people getting sued for lying about having fake degrees from colleges and having to pay one year's worth of tuition to the college.

They won't check for an entry level position especially if you answered their basic tech questions ok.

Most tech skills come from experience not school anyway..

It goes Experience > Certifications > Degree.

>> Current help desk employee.

I think they should be prosecuted for fraud.

Don't be stupid.

That's what I'm hoping!

Sweet. Yeah, I actually have some decent tech support experience (that is legit), so I should be good for references.

It's not stupid. It should be a felony.

What is the pay OP? I have been in your position kinda. Have an associates and always try pass it off as a BS.

If it is less than $50k/year and you live in an average American cost of living area you are ok.

If above that I would keep looking.

Why? Degrees are fucking worthless. I have literally no classes that helped me with what I do. IT infrastructure engineer, BS in information systems.

It's just under 50k and I live in a pretty average area.

depends on the job and the lie. Wallmart no, the government probably. And if you said you were head of your class at Harvard that's a no as well. They expect you to lie but make it a lie they cant do a google search to disprove you dumb fuck.

No OP but as a guy who went back to school after making back with a puny little asssociates degree you need at least a BS to break through in a lot of fields. It shows you can commit.

Everyone that I know that couldn't finish college is a loser. For every Zuckerberg there are a 1000 losers.

If you plan to get above middle management you need at least a 4 year degree

I am a junior in college and 35. Having the best time of my life.

You are prob good OP I agree with others they don't check that deep usually. Just be careful if you fake a transcript if they ask. You are getting into dangerous waters there and there are plenty of IT Jobs trust me I have never had a problem if you aren't a typical IT guy asshole.

Also want to add as the IT admin who has been doing the hiring we don't give a fuck about your certs or education. We want to know your personality. If I am gonna work with you I want you to put out fires and not create them. I have worked with guys who had Ivy League degree who took down networks trying to fix a printer.

Had a Harvard grad engineer take down our email server his first day cuz he just panicked and rebooted exchange hard.

Sweet, well hopefully it works out. Maybe I should've just tried to get a job and just not even mentioned education. I feel like I wouldn't even get interviews then though.