Can you honestly say you would have enjoyed this if you didn't have some 'authority' on music explain to you why you...

Can you honestly say you would have enjoyed this if you didn't have some 'authority' on music explain to you why you should beforehand

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4krCIQTr4dc
youtu.be/6tCLPL8otMM
youtu.be/Od0_LRNlE5A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I hate blues music. This is the best version of blues music.

Yes, I honestly can. For one thing, I did honestly like it on its own merits before it was a Sup Forums meme, at least. But I've always liked weird XD randum stuff.

When I first heard it, a friend explained that it was weird and that the musicians were playing badly on purpose, also namedropping Matt Groening as a fan. Previously, I had heard of it and downloaded the single track Ant Man Bee, which I liked on its own merits. The flat vocal selections reminded me of some weird poetry and random things I'd sketched out at various points during HS/college, especially the phrase "hair hive hurl" (which IIRC is not in one of the above flat spots like I said).

There's plenty of weird and Americana going on all at once so there is something for lots of different tastes. Also when the dialogue goes "THAT'S RIGHT, 'THE MASCARA SNAKE' " what this reminds us/me of is like an old Hanna Barbera cartoon (the type of thing that would have been on the TV right around the time of the album being recorded!) of some cheesy superhero talking to his sidekick or berating his enemy or something. This sort of irony fed into programs like Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Adult Swim in general, for example.

Also fun: "It's a bush recording... we're recording a bush". And in the above thing I mentioned, how he says under his breath (Jesus Christ) at one point which lightens the mood a bit as they just sort of step back and realize how god-damn silly/stupid what they're doing really is.

But then they just keep going and good for them.

it really just requires a moderate level of attention and intelligence to engage with.

Yeah. And I did. I listened to it, thought "what the fuck," listened to other beefheart, listened to it a second time, and enjoyed it.
Fuck you blues is great

I need to give it another attempt. I listened to the first couple of songs and I thought it was hilarious, but I wasn't sure if I was actually supposed to like how it sounded. Is it just Ween a few decades before Ween existed?

My first encounter with this album was when helping a friend move, i found this while boxing up his CDs. Apparently someone gave it to him as a joke and he never listened to it, so he just gave it to me. First listen I was just confused and didn't get past the 5th track. I kept it in my car though, and put it on randomly and listened to the whole thing on a road trip. I really did enjoy that listen. The sketches are wacky and some tracks are nigh-listenable like hair-pie bake, but overall the album is really enjoyable.

It's by far the hardest to get into in his discography, his other records are way more accessible, but it's for sure not a bad album. Still, it's easily one of his best and an incredibly unique record.

Yeah, but way weirder than ween. Like WAY weirder than ween. And way more complicated too. I'd say look into the recording process for this album, too. Beefheart was fucking crazy. Like mentally insane.

>I'd say look into the recording process for this album, too.
No, fuck that. Stories surrounding an album, or its "historical importance" should have no weight when appreciating the music. There's already too many overrated albums because "lol the musicians suffered for months" or "lol he was the first one to do x". Fuck that.

i just listened cause i saw Sup Forums meme it. i thought it was scary cause the vocals but impressive technically and ella guru/moonlight/hair pie jammed first listen

I never had anyone explain it to me. It's just good. Fuck off.

I'd be as good and get the same praise it gets either way. I don't think its good because of its backstory. Quite the opposite. It's a funny album with great, masterful songwriting. Songs like Ella Guru, Moonlight on Vermont, and Hair Pie, as well as the rest of the songs on this album are great songs, regardless. I just think it's interesting to look into the process people took to make something, and the process of making music as bizarre as this must have some interesting back story. I in no way intended to say that that makes the music better in any way. I just think it is interesting is all. The album would have the same importance it does now. I agree that albums are often overrated by backstory, but I also think that it is interesting to see the process of writing the music, and the influences that a person had in making their music. A shit song is a shit song, regardless of whether a person was being tortured and starved while writing it. As long as it has no bearing on my appreciation of the music, its completely fine, in my opinion.

Honestly I didn't get it
And I'm not gonna force myself to like it
It seems really pretentious cause it just sounds like random noises to me. Idk it has no flow. I can't vibe with it ;^(

pretense is what you take before listening to it, it cant sound pretentious.

I just feel like people try hard to like it because it's "different"
I just personally think it's absolute garbage

What's worse then that is calling anyone who likes something you don't pretentious and assumes that everybody must be pretending to like it because you don't. It might be time to grow up.

>Feel
>Personally
I wasn't stating anything
It's just a personal opinion
If you like it, good for you
It's not for me. I don't think it's good.
There are people who like things because they're popular (vice versa) that's all.

Nope.

If I heard it without scaruffi and Sup Forums telling me they liked it, I probably would have brushed it off, because this thing was ASS on first listen.

However, the people on Sup Forums convinced me to give it a second, third, and fourth chance by showing they're passionate about it. If these people like it there must be SOMETHING that I'm missing, you know?

I bought this album years ago and almost threw it out, but then rediscovered it and realized I had shit taste then and it's quite good. No critics were consulted.

youtu.be/4krCIQTr4dc
youtu.be/6tCLPL8otMM
This was composed by a man ignorant of music theory, forget polyrhythms and notation. Oh, how I wish absolute garbage like this gets made again.

I enjoyed it more when I stopped trying to think about it, honestly

literally this.

TMR is hard for people to enjoy because it gets hyped up beyond what it is- enjoyable math-blues.

Listening to Safe as Milk first put me in the right frame of mind, and then it didn't feel weird or inaccessible at all. It's the kind of record where letting go and appreciating what the music is instead of breaking it down is how you have to enjoy it the first time around.

youtu.be/Od0_LRNlE5A
For anyone who hasn't seen it - an interview with John French (Drumbo) of the Magic Band.

I don't think the hype, if you can call it that, given that it's an album with a cult following and not high chart positioning, is undeserved. Safe as Milk was weird for me the first 5 times. After that, I think it's one of the most unique and versatile "blues rock" albums.

There's no doubt it's weird for what it is, but it's become hyped up beyond that. It's not all that weird.

Safe as Milk clicked immediately for me though so I don't know.

I guess i am just ignorant and retarded. I'll try listening to it again.

I'll say this. I used to hate Trout Mask Replica. But, that changed when I sat down and gave it a proper, full listen. I still thought it was abysmal, but I was weirdly amused/entertained/engaged throughout the whole album. Also, "Veteran's Day Poppy" had an actually good ending. Then, for some reason, I found myself revisiting the album constantly. It became addicting in a way even though every time I would walk away from the album thinking it didn't necessarily sound good.

Eventually, one track after the other began to grow on me. I then came to love the whole album and it hit me that it's actually pure genius. I could go on and on about the album some more, but I won't do that.

I'll just say that I considered it one of the worst rock albums of all time, but now I consider it one of the best rock albums of all time. It's probably the only album where I'd find it perfectly understandable for someone to think it's the worst thing they've ever heard or the best thing they've ever heard.

Well put.