Can someone please explain why this shitty terribly written terribly acted show is getting such high praise...

Can someone please explain why this shitty terribly written terribly acted show is getting such high praise? is it just young millenials and the Game of Shit crowd?

Because it's the opposite of the things you just said.

Everyone got shilled

It's not amazing but its not bad either. It's bretty gud and that's all it needed to be for word to get around

Mostly nostalgia for 80's cheesy movies and tv shows about mysterious things that go bump in the night.

Do you guys even know what "millenials" mean? because I'm pretty sure that the majority of user who use that word are millenials themselves.

it takes the best things about speilberg's early movies and stephen kings early books, shits them up a little bit, and repackages them for people too young to know either

You have now lived long enough to learn, first hand, the reason everything comes back every 30 years is because the target demographic for all that shit is the 14-25 crowd.

Because it makes you mad

its a modern masterpiece. best piece of television in the last 10 years.

Give examples of poor writing and poor acting please.

All in all I think it's a decent show with likeable characters played by talented young actors, a good if not terribly original premise but written in such a way that keeps it interesting because you care about the characters. The show wasn't mind blowing but was certainly not a waste of the eight hours view I spent viewing.

Agreed.

>young millenials

as opposed to old millenials?

apparently millenials are people born between around the 80s and 2000. which i'm betting is 99% of this board

The show sucks guys. Its super derivitave, half the characters are unbearable. The Sheriff is the cut and paste of every 'complex' cop character. All the teen characters are just awful and should be cut. Information that the viewer already knows, is retread every 10 minutes by different characters, and we spend time with characters that doesn't contribute to the plot, or develop the characters in a meaningful way. The CGI looks like shit, all the best kino is just taken from directly from an 80's movie. All the payoffs are weak. Only 2 actual characters die, and they die in the first 2 episodes. It has nothing meaningful to say and no meaningful end insight, and it will just be created until you guys realize you don't really like it. It has nothing to say at all. The show functions on an illusion of character and meaning, that comes through your understanding of other things that you already decided you liked. And the sound track sounds like every other soundtrack in the same genre.

All things considered, all the kid scenes are really fun and the kid actors are really good, and Barb is the waifu. I like the scenes when Winona and her son were breaking down in the street because it reminded me of the hysterical characters of Twin Peaks.

idk if this is pasta but you are fucking retarded

>sheriff is cut and paste
give an example not from your bullshit unconscious

>CGI looks like shit
i'll agree that on a scene or two its garbage but this is not the case for the majority

>nothing meaningful to say
youre a max fucking pleb this isnt the shows fault

>kino buzzword taken from 80s movie
give an example or which movie youre talking about retard

>soundtrack sounds like every other soundtrack
give examples you fucking mouthbreather

look i don't care about this show so much that im willing to get upset about it, but you're flinging your shit at it on the basis that it rips off imaginary 80s tropes you cant even pinpoint. if you can give examples i'll stand corrected

reddit

IS there any good horror serial thats actually fucking scary?

>American horror story
>its shit
>this one
>its shit

I just want to get spooked ffs.

Series would have been 10x better if the monster was just some dude in a costume, instead of that shitty ass CG.

Because there are people with tastes that vary who oftentimes like things other than what you like. The word for things like this is subjective. If you don't like something that other people like, that's okay. It's also okay that other people like things you don't like.

On a related note, being on Sup Forums is like being a Kindergarten teacher. You can only explain something so many times before you give up, light one up in the teacher's lounge, and hope the little dickheads learn something at home.

Good Stranger Things things:
- Neat concept
- Kid characters that are likable and well-acted, for once
- Cool designs for the otherworldly shit
- Rips off a lot of my favourite things (Stephen King, 80s flicks, Twin Peaks)
- Comfy

Bad Stranger Things things:
- A little predictable
- The soundtrack is neat and I'd listen to it on it's own but it doesn't NAIL the 80s vibe it's going for, which makes things tonally jarring occasionally
- Sometimes the CGI is good, but when it's bad it's B-A-D
- They can't go a single fucking episode without name-dropping it's inspirations for some reason. It's super annoying

All in all I'm hoping they fix those issues in season 2, I'd watch more when it's out

Acting is top notch, especially from the rookies. Writing is 6.5/10 but it's a pretty unique story so it gets bumped to an 8.

I'm not a millennial in terms of my intelligence and taste.

The first AHS is kinda spoopy. But it quickly became a soap opera and it's fully aware of it.

ST is not horror.

I have the feeling this will be the hack frauds' general opinion as well.

Don't agree with the use of the word kino, but otherwise pretty fucking spot on. The big omission I'd add is that for all the references to 80's films on a superficial level the show didn't take the time to understand and emulate the fundamentals of writing and more specifically character development that made the classics of the decade resonate.

I just read your entire post out loud
>keks happned

Im right and your wrong, u fucking mongol trump voting islamophobic autist.

Go read my full run down on Vox you fuckin basement dwelling racist

The term millenials doesn't make referecne to intelligence or taste, is just a timeframe which you probably fit like most of this site.

It's AHS tier to be honest. Good atmosphere with decent acting but terrible plot and character development and cheap CGI.

EsaEsLaBroma.jpg

Not him but I'll shoot those fish in a barrel. The tortured drug addicted cop was only struggling for the two scenes he popped one pill and then he was saving the day by punching people in the face no problem. CGI we agree was uniformly terrible, and becomes insulting when you not only name check The Thing twice but specifically bring up the fact that they used practical effects for what is widely considered some of the best SFX of all time and then proceed to make no attempt to even half-assedly do the same. The show was completely empty and had no heart of its own, when you regurgitate plot points and characters from other movies this will often happen. If you don't know what movies this show rips off then you probably shouldn't be talking about pop culture on the Internet. The soundtrack was ok and would have stood out more had synth not made a strong comeback in horror and genre movies specifically in recent years. It was also anachronistic and ridiculously on the nose throughout. Basically this show lacks all subtlety, nuance, and heart and was blatant in its theft of its entire aesthetic and plot from iconic movies while doing absolutely nothing unique or interesting with said theft.

checked

Screen cap this meme

This is why we don't love you

is that an edit?

I can agree that it's not good in any artistic sense, since it's too derivative and lacks originality or purpose. But I did think that it was a fun show to watch, I found the scenes between the boys to be nostalgic, especially with Mr. Clarke their science teacher, and I thought the two divorced characters, Joyce and Hopper, dealing with separation in different ways to be sufficiently compelling to at least keep watching. I can't say it's great, but I did at least finish it, which is more than I can say for most things.

Pretty sure the whole show would be better without the science fiction subplot

people complaining about the lack of originality, you do realize that every single television show being broadcast borrows from some other show in one way or another right? nothing is totally "original" even the wire, sopranos, and breaking bad were derivative in some way and borrowed from other tv shows from the past. Television shows are influenced by things that came before it, thats nothing new. Stranger things is just a little more blatant about it, but I dont think thats a bad thing.

Quads-dubs confirms millienana is now a meme

It's an animatronic for almost every scene

15 for me. It was incredible.

how the hell am I supposed to get mad about any of that?

>taking dick pics with his new camera to send to skeletor
>chickening out at last minute

>Kid characters that are likable and well-acted, for once
I was amazed they managed to find 5 child actors that could actually act.

>fights interdimensional monster demon with her
>gets cucked

At first I thought El was some woman cgi'd to look like a kid.

Stranger Things is a pastiche, it's not like it tries to hide its influences or pretend it's completely original. I grew up in the '80s and I can spot every reference, trope and influence yet it doesn't diminish my love for the show. The fact it is held together by such a strong cast just increases it's appeal for me.

Yeah but in this case it's blatant and abundant, much more so than in other shows, but is given a pass because it panders to nostalgia and nerd culture.

t. hypocrite

In what way?

It's not given a pass for pandering, its given a pass because this show is a textbook example of style over substance. The style is fucking amazing. Yes they stole various individual elements.

The beauty is in synthesizing all of them into a comfy aesthetic that doesnt force them at all, and even includes qt boys for me to obsess over

You still provided no fucking examples you jackals

Your argument has no merit because it's based on comparisons that you fail to provide. Fucking kill yourself you retard

actually you're correct. she is entirely cgi mocapped by andy serkis. even her twitter and instagram are fake.

to add to what this nigger said, the music makes me cream my pants

>I'm not a millennial in terms of my intelligence and taste.

>textbook example of style over substance
This is not a compliment. Especially when the style is unoriginal and pulled directly from other works. It also doesn't help that the CGI is dogshit.

Stranger Things is a pleb's Beyond the Black Rainbow.

It's a just a total ripoff of firestarter with an entire cast of ugly actors. The only thing it did well was sort of capture the 80s vibe and atmosphere.

her twitter and instagram are actually run personally by a brazilian fan of andy serkis

>posting outside of /stg/

SENPAI please.

nice edit that probably took fucking ages

props, user

Holy shit summer can't end soon enough.

Nice edit user, that looks like it took forever

seriously, props to you

Most millennials would be too old for school now, user.

I'm okay with this.
Stranger Things would have been so much cooler if the monster turned out to be some kind of Sentionaut.

Remember how people liked boyhood?

They didn't like it because it was a good story they liked it because "yo dude that poster i recognize that" but and even more sinister "yoooooo, that cliche omg that homage! it's so good i've seen the movie this is referencing! haha I LOVE THE 80's EVEN THOUGH I'M 22!"

Really, look at people talking about it. They don't talk about the actual show they just talk about the cliches, music and references they recognize.

1995-1999 is collrge to high school level.

But this guy is probably younger than even that.

>posts gen z
>thinks he knows what he's talking about

jesus chirst it's true millennials are fucking stupid.

A U T I S M

That's Gen Y you retard.

Gen Z is early 2000's to now.

Just call me Gen 11

>They didn't like it because it was a good stor
Speak for yourself. It was relatable at every level. Not even gonna bother reading the rest of your tryhard spew.

I wouldn't include college student's in the summerfags. Everyone knows they procrastinate the most.

>likes boyhood
>likes stranger things
>proving my point

thanks, lad.

Meep merp

Yeah but a lot of them share the high school mindset.

>sharks can detect blood in 1ppm of water
>therefore the monster can detect blood in air
>blood is somehow soluble in air
What is this bullshit?

liking this fucking MEEM movie

hurr durr abuse and im a hipster who cant get a job
stranger things doesnt deserve to be associated with such TRASH
keep my wolfie pure

This is exactly the opposite of true

It rips off:
E.T.
Goonies
Halloween
Close Encounters
The Thing
Gremlins
And I shouldn't have to keep going.

You guys need to learn Spanish

It didn't take the time to flesh out any of the characters and create real moments which were a staple of the 80s classics it just copy and pasted from.

>in the same genre
>a rip off
every fucking movie is a rip off then
you're just a contrarian waving his dick around

I think this show is like a Tarantino movie using the 80s as reference.
The thing about Tarantino is that he is not artistically proficient, but on a technical level is one of the best because how he blends different sources and makes a coherent and very entertaining work out of it.
There's literally no reason to hate this show because it's derivative, it doesn't tries to be something else than an entertaining show that evokes nostalgia with a clear moral compass and message

wonderful bait
you must be a master baiter.

LOL

I agree with some of the characters, mainly the teenager eich were brain dead, but the kids definitively had their moments, they felt like taken straight from a Spielberg's movie

There's a difference between homage and ripping something off. When the entirety of a show's style and plot is directly lifted from other movies and it is presented in a straightforward way without a unique or compelling story at its core then it's a ripoff.

Tbh most people I know that liked the show aren't big 80's fans and don't recognize the majority of the references, they just thought it was a good show.

WELL CONGRATULATIONS, YOU GOT OURSELVES CAUGHT
WHAT'S YOUR NEXT STEP IN YOU MASTER BAIT?

Because it's good, well written and decently acted.

That's exactly the reason why this show is terrible. Even the highlights pale in comparison to the classics they are lifted from. It's why you don't directly reference such iconic and well made works unless you are confident that you can tell a story that honors them without constantly calling back to them or you have a unique spin on them.

Name another work with the exact same story.

Speaking of which did anyone here enjoy ash vs evil dead

>I'm not a millennial in terms of my intelligence and taste

Kek. You're retarded. If you're under the age of 35, you're a millennial, faggot.

what did they mean by this?

>order the tv series by quality, currently its alphabetically
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
House MD
House Of Cards
The Wire
Stranger Things
True Detective S01

Stranger Things
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
True Detective S01
House of Cards
House, MD
The Wire

Tarantino at least has the decency to lift his references from relatively unknown places and takes pride in making his own unique characters and dialogue on top of them. And the show doesn't function on an entertaining or basic storytelling level, the references are literally the entire substance of the show, which is why it deserves the hate.

No.

Both terrible. Take a lap