Reminder folk music are songs orally passed down

Reminder folk music are songs orally passed down.

If the artist wrote the song, it's not folk.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_folk_music
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_genre#The_art.2Fpopular.2Ftraditional_distinction
youtube.com/watch?v=oww-dXf-6qs
youtube.com/watch?v=TArPsHYj5Yc
youtube.com/watch?v=3JPd0pN_2K0
youtube.com/watch?v=3JPd0pN_2K0&t=1443s
youtu.be/yY1L0vD1G5g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>words have only one definition
no

what was called 'folk' pre 1950s is now called "traditional music"

the more you know.

Define contemporary folk music.

le sad white man + acoostic geetah

There's a bunch of definitions here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_folk_music

The bands that play folk music often have traditional instruments like violin, accordion and or banjo, although there's not set instrumentation, varies highly between groups, varies as much as the styles being played. Even 1 person could be folk, doesn't have to be a group.

It should be noted that the word "folk" has different connotations in different cultures.

Take serbian turbo folk music as an example.

>as an example
>doesn't give example

google
its not traditional or singer-songwrutery yet its still called folk

That's a paradox. How can you pass down a song if it isn't composed?

think harder

no you need to

>composes song
>not a folk song since i wrote it
>passes it down
>still not a folk song

Unless you're calling all covers folk songs by your definition.

or you're completely retarded and using "wrote" literally.

think some more

not an argument and you're a moron.

>acoostic geetah
This physically hurts.

Are Christmas Carols and Nursery Rhymes ''folk music''?

They are my dude

no because you just wrote them

>I wrote Silent Night

Time to cash in on those royalties

No, you're just a fucking moron and a contrarian troll

When it is first composed, it is not folk music.

It later becomes folk music after it is handed down a generation or two.

so baroque music is folk?

No it's baroque music

but by your own definition, it would be folk music.

>but by your own definition
When did I state my definition?

this is a bad thread

what is the point of your existence?

why did you post this if you don't want to have a discussion?

>why did you post this if you don't want to have a discussion?
I am having a discussion.

Are you going to answer my question or not? When did I state my definition/

no you're being pedantic and you can't even respond to the right post.

why do you think baroque music is not folk since it's passed down through generations and is not written by it's performers

>folk music can only come from one place with one set of traditions

Kys

classical is music is all cover songs

>no you're being pedantic
No you made a claim I stated a definition. Where is that? Can you answer, or did you misspeak?
>why do you think baroque music is not folk
Because it's art music
>since it's passed down through generations
This is a quality of folk music, but not the sole qualifier. What you are trying to do, won't work.

aren't cover songs folk?

they're passed down and not written by performers.

okay what are the other qualifiers?

you are being pedantic. you made a thread talking about what folk music is and isn't and then are being a little bitch because you haven't out right stated a definition despite alluding to one in all of your posts.

>okay what are the other qualifiers?
I would say that the three qualifiers for Folk music 1) usually represents or functions for a specific sociocultral group, 2) functions as storytelling often with a moral and 3) is handed down from generation to generation
>you made a thread
I'm not OP

that definition includes cover songs. so cover songs are now folk.

>that definition includes cover songs
Like what?

Any Guthrie, and soon to be Wonderwall, Sweet Home Alabama, Everlong, Stairway to Heaven, etc.

That is all popular music, not folk music

They don't function in a cultural contest, and they are not story telling/cultural based

>Guthrie
*although* I will give you some of this has become folk music by now, correct. The others, no.

I don't know how you can call something popular music and then in the same sentence say that it doesn't function in a cultural context.

And they are storytelling based, as much as Christmas and Nursery rhymes are.

Not really. There is a distinction between Pop, Art and Folk Music.

Please research Tagg's Triangle and you might understand.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_genre#The_art.2Fpopular.2Ftraditional_distinction

this is some top-tier bait, user

>calling facts b8 because you can't handle your white man + acoostic is really just 'folky' rock.

First, Stairway does derive from culture, it's based on irish folklore. Sweet Home also derives from Southern US culture and US nationalism. You could make an argument that Wonderwall and Everlong are based on modern cultural views on love.

The whole point is you keep trying to say what is and isn't but there is no tight definition. Word meaning changes also, since most people don't consider traditional music to be the only type of folk music anymore. So you're running against that as well.

>desperately trying to appear superior on an anonymous image board by defending an archaic definition after taking a music appreciation class his freshman year.

Being a longtime well established definition doesn't make it wrong

it does if the meaning of the word has changed. what stupid logic is this?

>I have changed the meaning in my head so everyone has

Go look at the Dylan, Van Morrison, Donovan, Mason Jennings, Cat Stevens, etc. wiki page and tell me it doesn't list folk, though by your standards he wouldn't be considered folk. Not to mention all of the folk subgenres that are called that because they use the "folk" sound.

It's a cultural word change, quit trying to act cool because you know the original definition of something. It doesn't make you cool, anyone can read a wiki article.

ITT: teens of Sup Forums once again don't know shit about the axiomatic triangle

They're standards which could be considered traditional but most people would call them folk

ITT: neck beards who believe they are superior because they read a wiki article but can't be bothered to understand their own culture

ITP: Bob Dylan and Nick Drake scrobbler who thinks he is eclectic by listening to folk-ROCK and dropping the rock part.

You didn't even read the previous conversation or respond to my argument so fuck off back to your undergraduate lecture

This. Folk is the most retardedly misnamed genre.
I listen to ITAOTS and at no point I feel "folk".

You have the right idea in that most stuff that gets labeled folk is not folk but 20th century folk was a thing and we do know the writers of most of that stuff, Bob Dylan would probably be the last major folk artist in that his 1000+ songs included lots of songs that were on to him but in turn everything he wrote was covered by 1000+ artists

But people confused the fact that he was the first major example of a "singer-songwriter" as meaning that anyone who did that was doing "folk"

DUDE
FOLK
LMAO

Ginger people don't count.

Well, if someone passes it down orally it becomes folk.

This. Folk was originally passed down through oral tradition, yes, but that doesn't really happen anymore. Yet, there is still music that has distinctive "folk" characteristics, and the definition is based on that
What you're thinking of, OP, is traditional folk, but not all folk music falls under that category

>tl;dr
>op is a faggot

>it's a "Sup Forums teenagers try to discuss something that isn't hip-hop, rock or "electronic" episode"

kek

By OP's definition this isn't folk because the artists wrote the song themselves. You're a retard

youtube.com/watch?v=oww-dXf-6qs

It happens constantly you 'tard.

bold, calling someone retarded when you can't even reply to the correct person.

>but that doesn't really happen anymore

youtube.com/watch?v=TArPsHYj5Yc
Just wanted to post the most beautiful folk song I´ve heard in a long while

That´s a traditional tune though

Is this the folk general now?

If you want to hear some Scandinavian pop influenced folk, and no, not folk influenced pop like First Aid Kit, then give this a listen

youtube.com/watch?v=3JPd0pN_2K0

This song is probably my favorite on the album, the vocal harmonies are so good

youtube.com/watch?v=3JPd0pN_2K0&t=1443s

Are you having an aneurysm? The band I linked writes all their songs themselves

Reminds me a bit of Hedningarna's later work.
youtu.be/yY1L0vD1G5g

>Our future generations passed down folk songs to our ancestors through time travel as a way to store musical knowledge before the human race evolved to the next the stage

>being this buttmad
I don't even know why you're so upset

He was around before ''popular music'' was a thing, before rockism and the breadth of pop/rock etc

>First, Stairway does derive from culture, it's based on irish folklore
Oh is it an Irish Folksong?

No it is not. This is irreleavnt
>Sweet Home also derives from Southern US culture and US nationalism
What's the moral? does it exist as a commercial work? Or purely for cultural heritage and moral?
>You could make an argument that Wonderwall and Everlong are based on modern cultural views on love.
Commercial music.
>The whole point is you keep trying to say what is and isn't but there is no tight definition.
There is. See >Word meaning changes also
Anecdotal evidence is irrelevant

>unknown author

Also important

you are an idiot. do you even read the shit you type?

>Oh is it an Irish Folksong?
>No it is not. This is irreleavnt

The claim wasn't that it was an irish folk song, it's that it was based on irish folklore, which is derived from irish culture. you jackass.

you seem to think that folk songs can't exist as commercial entities. Look at Irish folk music since you apparently know what it is. in Belfast you'll find people singing along to Galway Girl even though that is a commercial song. Most Irish folk songs now were popularized or written by the Dubliners who were a commercial group.

You are a fucking idiot trying to argue in a vacuum about a definition you read on wiki or learned in your freshman level music class in college.

I already read that post and responded to it. It is not a tight definition.

>Anecdotal evidence is irrelevant
It isn't anecdotal. Proof was provided. Read this thread before you fucking post in here you dumbass. You're raising points that have already been proven wrong.

>written by the Dubliners

So popular music then

you are a moron. please keep your idiotic thoughts to yourself and stop arguing just to argue.

Do old constantly covered songs like Hallelujah or Yesterday count as folk them?

why did you feel the need to specify the white man?

Because any folk thread on this board is always the same 6 white men + acoostic geetah and occasionally Joni Mitchell

>ginger
>white
>ginger
>people

because in third world countries like america, the average man is not white

what music do sad asians make?

Bad thread.

2/10

Seppuku

pale skinned gingers are a sight more white than the average mixed blood honky

implying white exists outside of slavland

>muh Nick Drake and Bob Dylan are soooo folk mom, I'm eclectic mom

>muh music class education is sooooooo cool mom. i crave feeling superior to others based on archaic definitions mom

implying white=aryan