Rewatch first season

>rewatch first season
>much better cinematography
>Dexter is actually a semi-believable sociopath instead of a brooding superhero who kills
>voice-overs are witty and funny instead of exposition for retards
>the main villain is scary as fuck
What the fuck happened to the show? It's not the best thing ever or even a great show, but at least it was watchable. Why did it become such a pile of shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mhnbgkFaeGU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

they built the season largely from the first book and were much better at adapting it but still grounding it enough to get rid of moloch and dream sequence stuff.

Yeah, first season was amazing and also the only season where he actually acts like an unfeeling killer. After a certain point he acted like a regular dude with an adiction.

First season of Dexter is probably one of the best examples of an adaption improving from the source material in every way, I thought the book was boring

The books are fucking retarded after the first one. Still halfway done with Dexter is Dead which is pretty good.

new writers came aboard that said the very thing that killed the show, they viewed dex as a hero. It was on that writers room episode.

>What the fuck happened to the show?
He didn't have a family or kids.

The writers all got replaced with women

Women ruin everything

someone please post the gif where he is standing outside the diner staring at this guy through the window

DELETE THIS

youtube.com/watch?v=mhnbgkFaeGU
The opening to the first episode is so good. Compare this to any scene in S8 and you'd think it was being parodied.

I wish they would bring the show back and go full B-movie tier level of ridiculous with it. Old man lumberjack Dexter hears there's a serial killer in his small mountain town, so he comes out of retirement to hunt the killer down, only to find out it was Robot Doakes trying to bring Dexter out of hiding to get his revenge, surprise motherfucker

The showrunners were fired for new ones that wanted to make it THE show on TV.
We all saw how that turned out.

I stopped watching at the season 4 finale and started up again the tail end of season 8. It's weird as shit it's like watching someone you knew walking around as a reanimated corpse

1>2>4>3

REST DON'T EXIST YOU CAN'T PROVE OTHERWISE!!!

All-female writing team from S5 onward, and it shows.

If you see S4 as the series finale then Dexter is a pretty GOAT series.
>dexters selfishness to be a killer and a father/husband gets Rita killed and he's unable to take revenge because trinitys already dead
>"it was me"

While I enjoy season 2, and to a much lesser extent 3 and 4. I think season 1 was the only season of this show that looked great, it had a visual flair and the cinematography was interesting. Season 2 immediately looked cheaper, I suspect it had something to do with Michael Cuesta leaving.

You're absolutely right on the vice overs, they became a complete joke after season 2.

>"But it doesn't matter what I do. What I choose."
>"I'm what's wrong."
>"This is fate."

It would've worked as an ending. But I still stick with the show should have ended with him in the chair after going totally unhinged.

100% with this. Season 1 is the only good season.

First season was great

Fourth season (trinity killer) was absolute telekino. Making John Lithgow into a genuinely menacing villain was a major achievement.

Think the show just kind of burned itself out after that.

I'm pretty sure the good seasons were written by a woman

Whats a voice over?

S1 was actually shot on Florida and not L.A

Is this like Death Note? Bad guy kills the bad guys?

Dexter is Dead has a debatably worse ending than the show.

First season was incredible. It was unsettling, funny, and enthralling. The stores and the cinematography.

Second to fourth seasons weren't bad but they were definitely different from the first. Every season after that was terrible.

The problem is the writers fell in love with the character and wrote them with a Halo effect.

1>4>2>>>>>all other garbage seasons

How people rank 4 above 2, I don't know. I guess it's the Trinity hype. But the plotline of season 2 was so much more interesting, and the Bay Harbor Butcher thing was great.

Season 2 had a weak finale though, so I guess that knocks it down for some people. But shit, season 2 was actually really good.

lithgow often played a villain

ricochet
raising cain

I think it's because no plots in 4 are anywhere near as bad as vampire lady