Why do people have a record collection? My apologies if this is a plebeian question...

Why do people have a record collection? My apologies if this is a plebeian question, but I don't see why you'd pay a lot extra for albums when you can just torrent FLAC files..

Locked grooves

art/lyric booklets/other features + supporting artists + it's just more fun collecting physical releases imo

Literally all of that can be done digitally. A collection of locked groove vinyl is the only rational choice.

You can't reason with these people. Just move on

Personally, as a proud owner of a vast CD collection (around 30 CD's stored within two transparent tiger-print cases) I prefer to have a collection as it allows me to vivaciously support artists/ record labels that I admire (such as Dischord and Merge) in addition to receiving liner notes that I can analyze and read when I am in a state of ennui. Furthermore, as states, it can be interesting to collect physical media as such may be different from what you are expecting, for example Beach House's Depression Cherry on physical format is encased within a velvet digipak that is fluffy and warm to touch, sometimes I rub it against my cheeks before I go to sleep and squeal uxoriously at the feeling. Furthermore, some physical copies (see Metal Box) can be useful for storage as well as physical display, and then there's The Stooges' Raw Power which features multiple vinyl CD's that are sleep and Rubenesque in form. This interpretation of an artist's catalog simply cannot to be achieved by digital means and so will always lack a certain personal touch (except when such albums are nigh-impossible to obtain physical copies of).

Oh, you can indeed reason, its simply the case where your atavistic remarks are evidently incorrugent.

Because they're gullible posers.

Well I'm just trying to educate them. A lot of people may not know about locked grooves. I'm sure there are vinyl tricks I don't know about especially ones that can't be replicated. For example I assume backmasking can be played digitally reversed and probably a hell if a lot better than vinyl too.

Incorrugent? Define.

>Personally, as a proud owner of a vast CD collection (around 30 CD's stored within two transparent tiger-print cases)
>30 CD's
>vast collection
I hope this is bait because I couldn't be fucked reading the rest of what you wrote

you honestly think reasoning is possible on this website? cant believe you fell for that trick

I like having them and enjoy it

Well it seems like you're trying to reason about not reasoning.

Most music fans I know have records. some have a shitload, some just have a modest collection of favorites. But I dont know anyone who doesnt have a physical record collection and is really into music.

Are you sure youre not autistic? Youd have to be to not understand the emotional value of the record listening experience.

*incorrigible.

Well, I mean its quite a lot, 1 CD is about £5.99 on average (unless you get 2 for £10.00 from HMV) so it adds up to a pretty rotund price.

damn...
*macintosh plus plays*

compare 30 CDs to the amount of music you actually listen to though. 30 cds is nothing.

>Well, I mean its quite a lot, 1 CD is about £5.99 on average (unless you get 2 for £10.00 from HMV) so it adds up to a pretty rotund price.
Is it realy worth having a physical collection of CDs? First hand as well thats p expensive

If I bought a CD of every album then I would have to turn my walls into CD holders so of course it isn't that much, usually just the best albums of each band (see Feels, OK Computer which people are too prideful to admit is the best Radiohead album inb4 frontloaded they haven't released a single album with good songs all the way through, no TKOL is a dud and people only like it to seem interesting and "patrician" inb4 basement tapes you've got one and its called your life, also Beck's Ondelay but I haven't listened to that yet).

>OK Computer which people are too prideful to admit is the best Radiohead album
Is it your first time on this board

>he claims to like music
>he doesn't collect music
This board is full of plebs.

its a more emotional connection than just loading up musicbee or whatever. i have albums from bands i hardly like anymore just because they have too much personal value for me to sell

I've been on this board so many times I know its true, Kid A is the only album that is really that comparable, In Rainbows gives people a more "personal" feel which let's be honest is a cover up of the fact that none of the tracks on it saw significant radio play and thus makes them feel special inside.

I laughed

OP here, so what I'm gathering is that its more of a "support the artist, physical copy/display satisfaction" kind of thing- and thats fine!! I own a few favorite albums of mine on vinyl, I just don't think its worth 20-40 dollars as opposed to torrenting like the cheap bastard I am. I just don't get why the thread is making a big deal out of having 30 CDs, I think he/she made a good point.

Collecting CDs is retarded because they will not last indefinitely due to degradation and shit.
If I would collect physical music, it would be on vinyl. At least that would survive for a loooong time.

nobody is really this autistic

have to collect ever since what.cd shut down

some records can't be torrented

it really depends on the album for me

albums that came out before roughly 1983 were very much mastered and recorded and mixed for vinyl and therefore sound best when you have a good vintage copy of that album -- i own two or three copies of genesis' nursery cryme on vinyl and three copies on cd and i can definitively tell you my 1971 charisma copy of the album sounds better than any other version (whether it's the reissue, double with foxtrot, recent rerelease, or any cd version). there were certain mastering and mixing standards and practices for albums when vinyl was at its peak between the mix 60s and early 80s. half of my record collection consists of albums that were released between only maybe a decade and a half, but the entire collection spans from the 40s to this year. the loudness war also plays a large part of this - you can master a CD to absolute shit but you're physically limited by a record.

albums that were produced digitally, mastered digitally, and released digitally will always sound better on CD or DVD or digital download. i love death grips, but my vinyl copy of interview/fashion week sounds like shit compared to my squeaky clean digital copy. i own it purely for packaging and aesthetic purposes and to directly support the artist.