ITT: This thread is about the exponential rate at which technology is advancing

ITT: This thread is about the exponential rate at which technology is advancing.

Things you'll see in your lifetime.
>Holographic face computers.
>Radical life extension.
>Synthetic custom bodies.
>Custom personal matrixes.
>The complete automation of everything, including your job.
>Lot's of other cool shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

dwavesys.com/press-releases/d-wave announces d-wave-2000q-quantum-computer-and-first-system-order
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I can't wait to not die.
>Thanks nanobots.
>Thanks lab grown organs.
>Thanks consciousness uploading.

> Realistic sex bots that manage to pass the uncanny valley

Whoa there friend, I think you might need to slow down.

Okay.

> fleshlights with a builtin microwave

hive artificial intelligence, the internet coming together

As a programming student, i am almost certain that i will lose my job of programming computers to a computer in the next 20 years.
Lawyers will also become obsolete and many more jobs..

>Synthetic custom bodies.
Nope, we're far away from reading nerve signals, you might see some crude replacements of a hand or a leg, but today they're not truely connected to the body, they have their own "brains" and need to be operated manually. We also reached the physical end of conventional batteries, we either need a big rock of platinum or some crazy new technology which cannot be found through linear research.
>>Custom personal matrixes.
What's that supposed to mean?
>>The complete automation of everything, including your job.
Engineering won't be automated any time soon ;)

Peronally i'm looking most forward to personal robot which i'm in the development in. They're crude, stupid and highly useless at the moment, but my goal is to change that.

>All jobs
Artificial super intelligence is coming. Anything people can do a super intelligent machine can do better.

Well don't get too comfortable because artificial intelligence is far from actually intelligent.
It's currently used for highly specialized tasks which it does just fine, but nothing coming even remotely close to an 8 year old child with severe down syndrom.
Our body can do amazing things, and we will at some point surpass it's limits, but i have my doubts it will happen in our lifetime.

This technology is advancing exponentially. It's coming so much sooner than you think Sup Forumsro.

think about it, in less than 100 years we have gone from no computers to doing everything with computers. In another 100 year the computers will be able to think for themselves.

Imortallity is the only thing i give a shit about
BioViva and a couple of other companies are thankfully working on it.

DIGITALLY DESIGNED DRUGS
> fuck am already 2 old

Again this word "exponentially".
It comes from the mass of invention, not of the importance of them and as far as i see it computer and electric break throughs were a thing of the nineties and maybe millenium. After that we didn't have any notable breakthroughs, only "cram more of existing technology and code on the same space as before" which is how we ended up with people beeing able to play doodle jump on their smart phone written in extremely inefficient code. That doesn't really qualify as a break through to me.
For instance i'm still waiting for nano tubes to be used in computer technology even though the technology was proven in a laboratory many years ago.

This guy gets it

It's really amazing how much technology we depend on every day that didn't even exist a generation or two ago.

Think about that shit just for a second.
Every other generation of human that has ever lived, lived without 97% of the shit we get to have.

Think about the stuff our kids are gonna wonder how you and i ever lived without.

Dude. You just love to think that you know all of the things, but in reality, you know so few things.

Let's just say that i have a rough overview of modern development of electrical devices because that's what i study.

I'll just say that your mom is a whore, and you are a little fairy boy.

so if the only computer breakthroughs were in the 90s - 2000, then how come the computers then were absolutely pathetic compared to those of today? and what about the development of quantum computing? what about the retention of metadate? what about streaming, uploading, almost every major website and program people use today? what about the processing power, the ability to print three dimensionally? what about the advancement of medical technology through computer programs and various scanners? what about the discovery of the Fucking Higgs Boson?

edit: *metadata

The plural is "matrices".

no

we have "less the roach" level ai now, if AI doubles in intelligence every year you can expect mouse level intelligence in 30 years, if not more

you are underestimating how good our brains are at making sense of the world, something AIs currently are completely incompetent at.

he knows the best things, believe me

Do you reckon this will happen in our lifetime user? I hope it does

cloud computing is sexy af tbh

also, what about the development of digital effects? what about 3d animation? what about the ability to develop far more graphically complicated computer games? what about the development of the internet? the huge enhancements to internet speeds we're capable of achieving? what about cloud storage? what about the computing technology that will be used to send humans to mars? what about wikileaks? the deep web? or at least the use of bitcoin and anonymity tools to acess illegal goods and services through the internet?

>ww3 is within a couple of years
Too bad most of us wont live to see most of this tech first hand

i dont know a lot about whatever "cloud computing" is but im just talking about saving and storing data in a cloud.

It will.
>Technological Singularity.
Look it up.

respond to my questions pls

that's the way i thought about the world in 1993.

it will but i bet itll cost a fuck ton and be for rich people only. also i reckon people will go out of their way to murder anyone who is "immortal"

all building and iterating on the advancements of the 80, 90 and up to mid 2000s

moores law has been broken, it was broken in the 80s, but they kept it going by cheating (using less transistors to do the same amount of flops, and saying your chip has "equal to" values of transistors)

computer design technology is a bit in a rut atm, there is no real revolution or even strong evolution, just weak iteration... just compare graphics cards improvements from 1990 to 2000 and then compare to 2000 - 2010, and take note that the wallsockets still deliver the same amount of power.

the increase is still there, but the power use scales up massively... while power use was scaling down between 1950 to +-2000 consistently

Pls respond

well yeah they're building and iterating on advancements lol, thats how you do science my dude. that IS what progress has always, and will always look like.

samefag, what about quantum computing that i mentioned? i know it's in its infancy but isnt that the exact type of revolutionary computing technology that you're looking for?

>development of quantum computing?
Cool thing but i didn't leave the laboratory yet, so with respect of similar inventions: On the market in 20+ years.
>metadata
Don't know, gotta check it out.
>what about streaming, uploading
People could copy data from a to b in the 90ties, all development in the field were enhancements of an existing thing, even though the hightended datarates are astonishing.
>every major website and program people use today?
Add a few graphical layers to what we had in the 90ies.
>what about the processing power
We've passed the point where we truely needed this processing power. I remember the quote by someone, maybe bill gates (?) which said something along the lines "1GB of hard drive and 8MB ram is all every human on the world should need", and i think there's a lot of truth in this. Of course we can always add fancy layers over everything, but if you wanted to use a computer for working purpose in contrast to playing the witcher on ultra HD, 1GB hard drive and 8MB ram is all you should need. The software industry started to create an artificial need for new hardware by creating less efficient software and people think that's normal...
>the ability to print three dimensionally?
Nice gimmick, may find some good use in the near future.
>the advancement of medical technology through computer programs and various scanners?
Not up to date with that, i focus on pure electrics and communication devices.
>what about the discovery of the Fucking Higgs Boson?
Not sure about the meaning of it, but as far as i'm concerned that's a physical thing which has a LONG way to go to come close to beeing applied.

>pic: nanotubes, a material stronger than everything we have on earth, was developed some 15 or 20 years ago, still NO application.

forgot picture

quantum computing is on the market now.

dwavesys.com/press-releases/d-wave announces d-wave-2000q-quantum-computer-and-first-system-order

ok so quantum computers aren't in your opinion going to prove fruitless?
metadata is a revolution that we simply did not have in the previous decades, like at all. it isnt very well used anyway though tbh, like mostly by advertisers and the government to track you but still, totally new technology.
ahh well while its true you could upload some data in the 90s, definitely nothing remotely similar to a live or recorded stream was present until much, much recently so that is what i would class as a major technological development. also as you rightly point out, high end broadband etc has incredible rates of transfer. have you talked to someone at microsoft or google hq these days? its crazy.
on your point about the websites and programs we use, i totally disagree. it seems as though you're implying that only visual improvements to our websites exist, which i am sure is simply untrue. as i say, more and more data is moving through our websites, which allows us to do more and more things with it, for instance as i have already said, streaming. 1/2

the simple act of watching video online has changed how we do things immensely, and the ability to stream and UPLOAD at home, by anyone, has changed the amount of information we are able to access hugely. THAT is what i class as a major technological advancement. obviously a lot of our development is rather social and about the broadcasting of useless information, but that does not make it not development.

it seems as though carbon nanotubes could be developed alongside quantum computers and the like as a sort of tech to be implemented within like 15-20 years

Another breathing thing

The End of Net Neutrality

I give it less than 6 years.

The companies like BioViva and SENS research foundation argues that it will become much more profitable than not for governments to put money into free gene therapy, since it pales in comparison with the cost of medical attendance of all age related and propagated diseases.