How does Sup Forums feel about Childish Gambino?

How does Sup Forums feel about Childish Gambino?

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/c-j-merch/bonfire-land-childish-gambino-vs-kirby-dream-land
soundcloud.com/childish-gambino/centipede
youtube.com/watch?v=cp2A0Rp3LjQ
vocaroo.com/i/s1Or2TZxwrH1
genius.com/a/a-guide-to-the-70s-classics-that-inspired-childish-gambino-s-awaken-my-love
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

funny comedian. corny rapper with a great voice but even his best music is a watered down version of what influenced him. acting is good but its literally the same role everytime

he's terrible at everything and should kill himself

he coo

He has potential, but is stuck in a weird limbo of corny (albeit somewhat entertaining) lyrics. His latest record was a step back from it to deliver something about his newborn son, and it was actually some of his best work.

tl;dr he has a lot of potential, but isn't quite there yet.

trying too hard to be a jack-of-all-trades and should focus more on his music

awaken my love was almost good

shit.

Atlanta is a good show, however.

I like Awaken My Love and this remix Bonfire.
soundcloud.com/c-j-merch/bonfire-land-childish-gambino-vs-kirby-dream-land

I don't really care about his actual rap music.

He's fine. Kinda annoys me, and his fans are insufferable. But I respect him, and I definitely think he's talented. Not my cup of tea though.

I can't stand to listen to his music for more than like 2 minutes. Way too much cringe for me.

Shitty comedian

Solid rapper (Camp isn't good, most of his early stuff is really corny but sometimes still fun or enjoyable, BtI is actually really good, so is Awaken My Love, he's still not made his best album though)

Good actor (especially with more paired down, serious roles; he brings a lot of natural, chill humanity to stuff like that)

Really good writer/director (at least as far as Atlanta and his short films go)

Sup Forums

Donald Glover is a terrible comedian, writer, and actor, but good rapper and singer (starting with Because the Internet).
But he peaked lyrically on Camp which is a shame because the album wasn't executed well.
This is his best song, it's actually Kanye-tier.

soundcloud.com/childish-gambino/centipede

Hes newest album is his only worthwhile music venture but hes a pretty solid actor

He has a fucking kid???

Why is this surprising? Awaken My Love has songs directly tied to being a dad.

>peaked lyrically on Camp

lyrically his best song is Zealots of Stockholm (also one of if not his best song ever just in general).

Besides, like, the sweeter stuff from Kids and the spoken word in That Power, his lyrics on Camp are p corny They can still be fun and engaging sometimes, like on Heartbeat or Bonfire, but it's definitely not his peak in terms of lyricism dude that's dumb

Dude he's 30

pretty old for a nig

Look over Camp again, his rapping on it is corny as fuck but the lyrics are great, there's actual substance behind them.
Because the Internet is just random meaningless bullshit. The only song that stands out lyrically is Sweatpants.

Awaken My Love was a disappointment. Liked the first track but stopped after about the fifth. He's singing, but has kinda gone back to that weasely, whining voice he used to rap with.

STN MTN/Kauai were really weak. I didn't like anything about them.

Because the Internet has some great tracks. I don't know if I'd call it great over all. Probably not. Crawl and Zealots of Stockholm are my two favorourites. I rarely listen to a mix but I'd always chuck them on there if I do.

Camp is my favourite. Really nice production, really nice aesthetic all round. Really enjoyable album.

Culdesac is good. A less polished Camp I guess. Much less so, but with some really catchy tunes. I'm not sure what order his stuff was released in to be honest.

ROYALTY was OK. Again, like Because the Internet, it's mostly just a few good tracks and a lacking package as a whole.

Anything before that was crap. Just an irritating noise of a voice over someone else's music.

I giggle at his similes.
>Hot like a parked car

>STN MTN/Kauai were really weak. I didn't like anything about them.
Sober's good. And the second half of Candler Road is amazing, should've been a whole song.

youtube.com/watch?v=cp2A0Rp3LjQ

I forgot about Culdesac, it came out before Camp and has some really good songs.

his music is alright, i dislike him as a person and actor however. I think its interesting that he was applauded for having a show thats only got black people in it, he said something about culture. his nothing amazing though

He's a pretentious assfag that pigeonholed himself.
At some point "I can't relate to other black people" became "I'm better than other black people".

top 5 wackest rappers right now:
>kendrick
>gambino
>chace
>logic
>hopsin

*chance

>same role everytime
>community
>atlanta
>the martian, mathematical prodigy
>same role everytime

is it because he's black

>even his best music is a watered down version of what influenced him
Pretty much this. I still like him though.

vocaroo.com/i/s1Or2TZxwrH1
SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEE

i think flight of the navigator was a really strong track, but his rapping isn't anything deeper than half-funny wordplay bars

LEEEEEET
MEEEEEE
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN
TO YOUR HEAAAAAAART

Who are his influences besides Kanye and Wayne?

he fukin good

Parliament
Funkadelic
Thundercat

listen to the opening of Boogieman by Gambino, then listen to Hit It and Quit It by Funkadelic

that was one album nigga shut the fuck up

>asks for influences
>gets influences
>"that was one album nigga shut the fuck up"

genius.com/a/a-guide-to-the-70s-classics-that-inspired-childish-gambino-s-awaken-my-love

Not sure but id imagine late 90searly00s rappers that use hell puns like ludacris or eminem. Probably some southern stuff like ti, andre or master p. Awaken and kauai show lots of funk, soul and synthpop so like isley bros, al green, funkadelic, sly, hall n oates, Mariah, anything p diddy produced, prolly toro y moi and washed out type stuff.

His rapping isn't half bad. Still don't know what I feel about his newest album being something else.

I don't think Thundercat is an influence...mainly because they're contemporaries and have worked together (Sidenote: Gambino and Flying Lotus have also worked together).