Batman: The Animated Series

What episodes should I watch?

Other urls found in this thread:

dcau.wikia.com/wiki/Growing_Pains
youtube.com/watch?v=wsdC11oFLnk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

All of them except I've got Batman in My Basement.

Fuck it, watch that too. Though if you want specific ones go for Demon's Quest Part 1 and 2

Heart of Ice

All of them, Mask of The Phantasm, Batman Beyond and Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Eh, I'd rather not watch the episodes where little Tommy goes missing.

Watching it right now.

Every single one of them, in order, with snacks.

Poor Mr. Freeze :(

Heart of Ice
Two Face part 1
Robin's Reckoning
Feat of Clay part 1 and 2
Almost Got'Em
Vendetta
On Leather Wings
Joker's Favor
Dreams in Darkness
Perchance to Dream
The Laughing Fish
I am the Night
The Man Who Killed Batman
House and Garden
Bane
Mask of the Phantasm
Holiday Knights
Never Fear
Joker's Millions
Growing Pains
Over the Edge
Legends of the Dark Knight
Mad Love

These.

>Tyger Tyger

Some lame ass Island of Dr Moreau ripoff in anyone's top ten? Get the fuck out.

>Tyger Tyger
Furfag detected.

I'm a Nightwing fag so Old Wounds is one of my favorite episodes.

kek, guys please.

Almost all of them, but here's some of my favorites.

On Leather Wings

Joker's Favor
The Laughing Fish
Harlequinade

Two-Face part 1 and 2 (you can split them up because part 2 isn't immediately after part 1)
Second Chance

Feat of Clay part 1 and 2 (I'm not too big on Mudslide though)

Mad as a Hatter
Perchance to Dream

If You're So Smart
Riddler's Reform

Birds of a Feather

Vendetta
Sideshow (one of the most underrated episodes)

Eternal Youth

Read My Lips
Catwalk

The Clock King

A Bullet for Bullock

Mask of the Phantasm

The order doesn't really matter for the most part but I'd save MotP for last. I left out some other great ones but I didn't want to put down nearly the entire show.

This was Great as well as the one he is chase by Gordon.

i watched many of them when i was 12.

if you are over the age of 18 you should only watch the news.

>if you are over the age of 18 you should only watch the news.

There's the fucking door nigger, don't come back

the one where clayface make the little girl out of his clay

which one was that
i think she was one of my first cartoon crushes

dcau.wikia.com/wiki/Growing_Pains

Over the Edge. Both great episodes.

what he said.

thanks

Scarecrow's redesign was fucking amazing, can't believe they got away with it.

>Almost Got 'Em
It's been mentioned already, but it's a pretty great episode.

Overrated

Scarecrow episodes are the best

can the clock king get some love up in here? those were some of my favorites.

underrated

Kind went a bit out there when he had a fucking time displacement device that let him become the Flash.

That said Batman trying to get rid of a bomb as it slowly starts to explode in his hands was awesome.

Sorry to hijack lads but I thought this would line up with this thread well;

Just started watching HBO's Spawn today and holy shit what an incredible show.

I don't really enjoy animation beyond a few classics (including Batman: TAS) but Spawn is amazing. I can't believe I've never seen it discussed on Sup Forums before,

that's what I loved about them so much. as a third grader when these were airing, this was literally the first (and most) abstract concept I had ever seen or heard of, and they nailed the visuals of it it with a fierce command of the medium. as if it weren't already obvious that they had that from the beginning, but still. these episodes blew my fucking mind.

also, anything clayface is an automatic contender for GOATs.

I saw that episode when I was 9 or something.

Im 30 now, and I still sometimes think about Batman explaining to Robin why they cant take the batmobile because of the time displacement.

That shit was gold.

Fuck, why is he so awesome in literally everything EXCEPT the comics?

They're all great episodes really. The one where the kids tell stories of batman and they do the dark knight returns is primo kino

which episodes are that?
anybody know?

Legends of The Dark Knight

thanks im going to watch it now

all the episodes are on amazon prime

enjoy it, man. it's truly one of the best. ever.

collection represent! I love my Animated Series set so fucking much.

nobody else out there bought this when it came out? and no other collections?

"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb"

-Batman

None. just watch Guardians of the Galaxy again.

Eww. OUT. NOW.

these are the ones i bought/were gifted
need to rewatch the series again along with the rest of dcau

fuck yeah. I had the first two for the longest time, but sold them when I acquired the box set. I watch episodes (mostly from seasons 1 & 2, though I love them all) weekly. my sons LOVE them.

funny how batman: tas still holds up and the spiderman animated show from the mid 90s just doesnt at all

batman is some legit light entertainment
some of the themes were very adult and you always find fans of the show who werent children when the show originally aired

back to the spiderman and batman cartoon show comparison
i think a lot of that has to do with the fact that marvel likes to be very modern but that only works for the time and serves only to make them have temporary relevance
meanwhile, with batman the animated series they always liked to lean towards the more classical side of story telling and that makes it timeless
meaning that in any era they still entertain
or maybe, part of me feels, that batman tas was ahead of its time and will soon be dated as well just like the spiderman and xmen series of that era

what are your thoughts?

>All of them except I've got Batman in My Basement.

Came here to post this

Is that the one with the TDKR Carrie Kelly kind of stuff?

I remember thinking that was a cool episode when I was little, why the hate?

The one where he meets superman is so cool. It's also 100x better than Batman v Superman.

no, the CK TDKR one is the one mentioned above, "Legends of The Dark Knight."

I think the reason "I've Got Batman In My Basement" gets hate is because, comparatively, it's kind of a boring episode wherein Batman spends most of his time debilitated by Penguin and a bunch of kids basically take care of him. IE, he's not very "Batman." bear in mind that this was a first-season episode, and this type of mistake (making batman essentially useless in an episode) was never really repeated again.

I just watched The Killing Joke. Didn't really translate well into an animation. Wasn't too crazy about all the Batgirl stuff, but I understand they had to fluff the film somehow.

Which movie should I watch next? I watched Red Hood, The Dark Knight Returns 1&2, and Batman Year One pretty recently, so those are out.

are you referring to the Superman Animated Series episodes where Batman goes to metropolis (or superman goes to Gotham? or both? I can't quite remember)?I think it's a 3-episode arc, or maybe 2. but it's fucking AWESOME. my favorite moment from them comes when Batman has knocked out a thug and is standing over him, and Superman comes up behind Batman and puts his hand on his shoulder. Batman responds by grabbing Superman by the wrist and throwing him across the room, basically saying "get your fucking hands off me." BASED AF.

the killing joke's animation looked bad
like an episode of xmen evolution

It's so fucking dark. Amazing stuff. The scenes with his buddy that betrayed him and has PTSD were amazing.

The pedophile arc too

>The Sad Man

fuck man those feels

Mask of The Phantasm is most highly recommended.

Sub Zero is a ton of fun.

Gotham Knight is immensely rewatchable.

Assault On Arkham is some fucklegit Suicide Squad action.

Son of Batman and Batman vs Robin are a wonderful pairing to watch back to back.

Flashpoint Paradox is stellar.

haven't watched Bad Blood yet, but it's on my list.

The Graaaaaay Ghost.

What makes this show so great?

Is it that it can be appreciated by both kid and adult like, and probably even more so when older.

It really did. I'm glad they got Conroy and Hamil back, and Ray Wise was a good Gordon, but man. Chinese animation.

Damn, that's a lot to choose from.

I really liked that one with the child actor that couldnt grow up, it was depressing as shit

It's the best depiction of Gotham, bar none.

Marvel cartoons had the worst cases of QUALITY.

I dont think Spiderman and Xmen were trying to be products of that era, they were just trying to be cool action animated series, while in Batman people tried to make the series be something else

my favorite episodes tend to be the ones where Batman isn't going up against his regular rogues gallery like the cape and the cowl conspiracy or the forgotten

begin with Mask of The Phantasm. legendary stuff.

That fantastic timeless bruce timm asthetic. Top tier voice talent. Solid stories that dont pander to children like they're idiots. Most episodes were just another batman adventure and not saving the world from the apocalypse every other episode.

Bruce Timm is pretty based and gives a shit about what hes making. There are some great quotes from him about ignoring the studio and focus groups and focusing on telling the story you wanted to tell.

but they were products of that era
they failed in making those shows timeless
they are dated
but yea they just wanted to be cartoon shows for kids
while batman tas was actual light fare for all ages

I was blown away reading as an adult, that TAS was drawn on black backgrounds with light colors to achieve it's look and aesthetic.

Prepare for disappointment as the end approaches

The concept is hard to interpret well in comics while still making him a threat. Special effects make scarecrow more believable and scary.

This one.

youtube.com/watch?v=wsdC11oFLnk

Bad blood is trash. Save your money

I meant focusing on themes and visuals of that era

Name a better sequel series

Protip: you can't

why can't rocksteady just make this game already T.T

damn. already purchased digitally, but have yet to watch it. we'll see.

it is also worth noting that if you enjoy TAS and/or most things Batman, and happen to have small children (like me), The Brave and The Bold is really, really good. it's plenty silly, but it's also pretty timeless, and well made. plus Diedrich Bader is an EXCELLENT Batman.

Beast Wars

Agreed. BB is fantastic.

isnt that one where the Joker is dressed like a jester?

>isnt that one where the Joker is dressed like a jester?

No?

The Brave and The Bold?

The Scarecrow episode where all of the music is basically ripped off from Psycho is a good one. I've never put in the effort to track down exactly which episode it is, though.

All of them. Recently rewatched all of it and the new adventures of batman. All great.

Dini and Timm should be running the DCEU.

>Dini and Timm should be running the DCEU.

MAAAAAAAAAAAH NIGGA. let's go grab a few drinks.

I'm not sure why, but your comment made me think of this crappy looking Joker from The Batman.

UGH. THAT show, by comparison, is awful.

They're both hacks now and would most likely make the live action movies worse

what a total jackass. jesus christ, please just go.

Snyder apologist go and please go

>mfw the soundtrack for this is the best Batman score

That theme for mask of the phantasm is the GOAT

I never understood collectors who want absolutely everything even the absolute shit.

"Completionists". Yeah, it's a mental illness honestly. Just a hoarder by another name.

Season 4 Scarecrow with the redesign, voiced by Jeffrey Combs, is creepy as fuck.

>Tyger Tyger

Oh, no.

I'll also add Moon of the Wolf to episodes you should skip. It's awful.

jokers favor. one of the best.

Take your nostalgia goggles off you faggots. All thier recent work has been absolute shit

>absolutely everything

that's HILARIOUS. a lot of that stuff is just carry-over from a different time (read: NOSTALGIC), purchased on a whim, or gifted on a whim.

do you even understand what hoarding is? I resent that. if I hoarded, I'd literally have every scrap of everything batman I ever had. as it is, this is a rather meager collection. go hate someplace else, the both of you.

I was really just giving a name to what the other guy was describing, not really calling you a completionist/hoarder or saying you collected absolute shit. I've been a completionist before and you do end up buying a lot of shit you regret, though. So I speak from personal experience. No hate here.

respect. preciate it, reactionary aggression rescinded.

Overrated.
It has a few great moments but most of it is painfully boring.

Agreed. I only really enjoyed the tie in it did where you got to see the end of Ace. That whole story and that scene in particular always gets to me.