Book Thread

Book Thread

Let's see if there's any literate lurkers left on Sup Forums

Pic relate : almost done with this one, and it's the best thing I've read since Dune, only it's much better than Dune

I finally finished gameof thrones #5. Ive enjoyed the series, but the quality certainly dropped with the 4th book. 5th is better than 4th but still not as well written as the first 3. Makes me wonder if the the last 2 will be any good if the ever get released.

Probably going to switch to reading some non-fiction science books for a change from the fantasy genre.

The Wise Man's Fear is a lot worse so enjoy

>toptier
>you're just salty that 3 isn't out like I am

I've jut finish this a few days ago. That's wonderful and much easier to read than I thought it was. I bought three other books that he written.

Read up to the newest book of Name of the Wind.

MC is fucking baller but god damn he's a fucking Cuck Meister. Three books in and hes still watching and hearing/learning about his woman fucking countless men

As the series goes on, it basically becomes the author's surrogate circle jerk.

Kvothe struggles for 5 minutes....BUT WINS!
Kovthe meets a strange nature fairy who kills everything who stands near her...but she fucks him within 5 minutes!
A new struggle? Kvothe's ass is on the job! New deus ex machina and ability! He's SO strong!
Oh no! Someone looked at Denna the wrong way? Will she pick him or....? Guess what.

Just ordered that one. Favorite of all time has to be the classic dune series.

If you like Paddy Roth you would probably like Mark Lawrence OP

I enjoyed the second book much more than the first tbh.

Except the fey(sp?) scene.

pretty much

He is right. The name of the Wind is pretty good but it is clear that Rothfuss has no idea how to actually tie it up in a satisfactory way. Two seems to wander all over the place with out ever really advancing the story in what felt like a satisfactory way (at least to me) and now it seems like he will never complete three.

might do the others in the foundation series.

He actually streams on twitch alot. He talked about 3 a while ago but no real details or a release date.

The wise mans fears (book two) is great.

Yea i assumed that would be the case, so yes, I am enjoying. I've tried to slow down my reading so as to make it last longer, but am failing at that on account of it being so great.

Apparently it took him like fifteen years to write the damned thing or some shit, so I'm assuming everything he ever writes which takes less than a decade to finish is going to be pretty inferior.

I've watched some interviews, and I would agree.
>but
>>this is a story about the best. The best of the best.
>>>This story, if it ever is finished, will be finished in the best way. It will become the best, because it has that potential... I'd much rather believe that than not, and at the end of the day I don't really know, so I choose to believe whatever.

He did lose all his powers though.

I found the whole Ademre/Lethani part so fucking boring ruined most of it for me

No he didn't. They alluded he might have. He's laying low for Cinder.

but muh anime fight scenes!

Tempi could have been a secondary character who was actually a badass and could be comparable to Kvothe.

But no. There can't be anything that resembles Kvothe's power or Rothfus wouldn't know how to use adjectives.

So tempi became the biggest bitch/cuck while Kvothe became OP of every ademre skill.

>Why not want to read a story of overwhelming triumph?

Opinions on Tom Clancy?

I read Rainbow Six and was not impressed. Not enough tension, everyone was too perfect, too much fluff. I will say he can paint a good picture of a scene.

>be on /tg/ a few days ago
>what's the worst sci-fi/fantasy book you've ever read?-thread
>The name of the wind comes up
>always wanted to read it
>friends also told you to read it
>everyone shits on it
>think: can't be that bad
>someone post short excerpt
>it is that bad

Now I'm interested: defend the book. Maybe you can change my mind

Also best author is and will always be Terry Pratchett

It's not triumph if it's 5 different scattered problems that get resolved in a chapter using nothing from the previous ones. Chekovs gun? lol no.

If you like Name of the Wind you're going to fucking love the second one.

Not really, Kvothe barely passed the trials and just left after that. For the ademre, Tempi was still superior; even he wasn't a master, and Kvothe was far from it.

meem military author
waste of time
thousands and thousands and thousands of pages of cringeworthy "muh army doodz r kool and war iz neeto" bullshit
cringe just thinking about it

I forgot about Tempi. Fuck that waste of time and potential.

Why do you want us to defend it? If you want to read it, read it. If you only want to read it cause it's become a meme book and you want to fit in, don't read it. Meme readers are the worst, even worse than meme TV series watchers.

Vashet's training ring a bell? He outclasses Tempi in 5 pages of a shoddy training montage.

>comparing Crapniss Everdeen to the fucking Wiggin
Okay, you got me. I'm mad.

Just imagine, someone makes a living writing that type of horse shit

I just want to know if it will be worth my time or not. Got a huge backlog of books I still need tó read...

Plus now I'm curious because I've heard these two very contrarian viewpoints.

>None were good enough for her, so I held them in contempt and hated them. They in turn hated and feared me.

>But we were pleasant to each other. Always pleasant. It was a game of sorts. He would invite me to sit, and I would buy him a drink. The three of us would talk, and his eyes would slowly grow dark as he watched her smile toward me. His mouth would narrow as he listened to the laughter that leapt from her as I joked, spun stories, sang...

>They would always react the same way, trying to prove ownership of her in small ways. Holding her hand, a kiss, a too-casual touch along her shoulder.

>They clung to her with desperate determination. Some of them merely resented my presence, saw me as a rival. But others had a frightened knowledge buried deep behind their eyes from the beginning. They knew she was leaving, and they didn't know why. So they clutched at her like shipwrecked sailors, clinging to the rocks despite the fact that they are being battered to death against them. I almost felt sorry for them. Almost.

>So they hated me, and it shone in their eyes when Denna wasn't looking. I would offer to buy another round of drinks, but he would insist, and I would graciously accept, and thank him, and smile.

>I have known her longer, my smile said. True, you have been inside the circle of her arms, tasted her mouth, felt the warmth of her, and that is something I have never had. But there is a part of her that is only for me. You cannot touch it, no matter how hard you might try. And after she has left you I will still be here, making her laugh. My light shining in her. I will still be here long after she has forgotten your name.

I read a wise mans fear first and it was good, but when i wanted to read the first it wasnt appealing. I think that the first and the second are maybe too similar. or idk what it is maybe its just bad to read the first volume after second.

Do you have the one with the description of Rothfuss?

>skilled ladylover or something?

Completely agree.

Like LOTR except instead of hobbits/elves/wizards in middle earth we get jarheads in 'merica.

Waste of time is the best way to put that kind of tripe. Pretty sad when you know the ending 1/20th of the way through.

Written in first person, so you can really feel how much of a superior little bitch Kvothe is.

And he always wins. Sure, he gets scraped, but he grins it off and always fucking wins. No growth for his character, or depth to his personality, just a shit eating diatribe following every minor scuffle.

This book was one of the best books I have ever read, no joke. I read this in jail along with Game of Thrones and enjoyed this much more although GoT was an amazing time-sink.

But what the fuck Rothfuss, where the fuck is book three??? Seriously he spends all his time on interviews, a movie, a game, side-projects but that book has been in the works for years now. I'm afraid by the time it comes out I won't even remember the inner workings of the plot, if it ever comes out at all.

He wrote a short little book recently called 'The slow regard of silent things' which basically is about the life of sewer-girl (forgot her name cause its been so long) which I thought was a nice read. I can upload it somewhere if anyone wants, or you can torrent it.

Anyone read The Descent by Jeff Long? If so, how were the follow ups? They have never been translated into my mother tongue

>In high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all his friends despite the fact that he had never so much as kissed a girl. He also role-played and wrote terrible stories about elves. He was pretty much a geek.

>For the next seven years Pat studied anthropology, philosophy, eastern religions, history, alchemy, parapsychology, literature, and writing. He studied six different martial arts, practiced improv comedy, learned how to pick locks, and became a skilled lover of women. He also began writing a satirical advice column which he continues to this day: The College Survivial Guide. Through all of this he continued to work on his novel.

>Now Pat teaches half-time at his old school as an assistant-sub-lecturer. He is underpaid but generally left alone to do as he sees fit with his classes. He is advisor for the college feminists, the fencing club, and, oddly enough, a sorority. He still roll-plays occasionally, but now he does it in an extremely sophisticated, debonair way.

Anyone ever read anything from A Lee Martinez?
Or David Wong's this book is full of spiders?

>and became a skilled lover of women

thanks
I kek everytime

You forgot where he fucks everything that's not Denna, but she falls for him anyway, so there's no real loss or longing in between. That quote clenches how little Rothfus understands about growth, or a character longing for something. Kvothe starts powerful, only loses because people cheat, but then he beats them anyway. It's two dimensional. It's not a quest to achieve anything, it's a slog you can predict every step of the way. The Kvothe of tomorrow is exactly the Kvothe of today, no matter how many times he says he's lost his power, or how many bar rags he wipes around. It's just one step from him winning every time.

Defend what?
Its a kids book, dont get me wrong its not a bad kids book, but if you are looking for anything original or especially deep here dont bother.
If i had to describe it in one sentence would be "Harry Potter set in a generic fantasy world aimed at mid and older teens".
What i really dont like is that the second book seem barely related to the first one, the protagonist gets completely changed from a generic kiss less awkward teenager to a murderous psychopath who kills everybody and fucks everything with 0 transition period.
It feels like a mash up of a side story set in the same world with the actual sequel, for this reason i would say give it a pass.

So much fucking cringe.

Did you read the book?

Kvothe regularly gets fucked up by a little girl when training with the Admere.

This just happens to mean he's far superior to the average dude swinging a blade

The little girl was The Hammer. The martial arts trainer everyone shits their pants around. Who outclassed every ademre kvothe had met up to that point.

Nah nah nah just fuck off you meme reader faggot.

m8, just tell me why you like the book.
Take for example. Told me the target audience and a bit about the series as a whole and based on this info I might actually read the first book. Far more useful then some retard going

>Hurr Durr you're a meme reader and not a Hipster like me!
Have you ever heard of recommendations?

I have faith in book three tying everything together.

Besides, I have a hart time justifying criticism of something when it is far better than anything I or most people could write themselves. Every writer has their strong and weak points and that needs to be taken into account.

Can't please everyone, I suppose. I thought, while maybe a bit lacking in dynamics, it was very well written and the characters were relatable and interesting. You can tell he is a bit of an amateur, but I think that adds a special element to his work that can be hard to find sometimes, and one I appreciate.

He wrote this himself..?

oh what a coincidence
i'm at this exact moment listening to the wise man's fear. Its the 2nd part of this book and also very good

>There are only meme readers and hipster readers
>No inbetweens because I said so!

Anyone else disappointed at the Gentlemen Bastards Series completely pissing its potential up a wall?

>Make an elaborate Setting
>establish nobility and thieving community
>establish a gang dedicated to fleecing both sides without either being aware of them
>make an interesting premise and con the gang's about to roll out
>completely and utterly derail it when some faggot comes out of the blue and forces them into a much less interesting scheme
>then proceed to repeat the previous two steps again and again
>then add a dash of divorce related bitterness in order to make everyone unlikable cunts for the last book
>mfw

No the little girl was just a little girl not even of of comment Just telling you that you don't remeber

Rothfus is the shit. Unfortunately editing of 3rd one in that series is going poorly. If you like him, check Mark Lawrence, Broken Empire series. Totslly different tones, but equally gifted writers. I mean, Price of Fools starts off with the main character at 12...raping a farm girl. Then he manages to make you love the char!

has anyone here read bone? I know it's a graphic novel, but since this thread is going in a fantasy directionI thought I'd mention it.

That was complete shit cashing in on the hunger games. Thread is for good books.

I recently read and loved 11/22/63 by Stephen King

I can't wait for book 3. Read the Slow regard for Silent Things Novella as well. Unlike most people who "read" I've read hundreds upon hundreds of books from every genre. Kingkiller Chronicles holds up as top tier epic fantasy against any series. The world is deep, the characters and story still mysterious after 1,200 pages, and the writing is deliberate and fairly concise. Book 3 is most likely going to be a monster so it tracks that it is taking a long time to write.

Really? Its a YA book writtwn for girls who liked Hunget Games...

>ah cahn't reehd: the post
ololol
I don't even know why I am replying, it isn't like you will be able to understand it.

>I can't fathom that a person might like books and comics: the post

I read it years ago. Didn't know there ere sequels!

God Tier fantasy. Fuck anyone conplaining because they didn't like how King finished it. Goddamn wankstains can't appreciate the author's vision. Besides, 1-4 already trump any other series.

Read it a bit when I was a kid. Was super cute, and I remember vaguely that the story was actually surprisingly interesting. I should find and read it again soon.

>If you like him, check Mark Lawrence, Broken Empire series.
Dont listen tot his fag, Broken Empire should be avoided.
Unless, i m not making this shit up, you want to read about a kid of 12 who is such a fucking bad ass that hes a master swordman who can kill anybody and scares a band of killers into fallowing him, now hes 15 or something he and his band of murderers who rape and burn alive women and children for fun go around ... kill and raping women and children. And everybody is afraid of him. Since hes such a fucking badass....
But hes a good boy, he dun did nuffin.
And then hes a great king, hes good at heart you see.

People often overuse edgy to describe book and characters, but this here, is as edgy as you can get.

Really? Do you know why it is still mysterious? It is because none of it is set up from the start. He can basically introduce a brand new concept at almost any time flesh it out a bit and pretend that it was there from the start due to just how shallow the series is.

Joe Abercrombie (except his Half a World series, for kids).
Richard Morgan, The Cold Commands / The Steel Remains / The Dark Defiles.
Brian McClellan, Powder Mage series.

All are memorably excellent. I wish I could read them all again for the first time.

Yeah, the story is why it came to my mind as some people we're saying they're annyoed by generic fantasy stories.
It starts off goofy but becomes quite in-depth later on.
You should definitely reread it.

If you love this book, prepare to be disappointing. Its been over 5 years since the second book was released, and no word on when the second one will be out. Every year the estimate gets pushed back another two years, its pathetic. Never, ever buying or reading another series from this guy again. He's let down all of his fans doing this shit. The series is amazing, and written so well, but Patrick Rothfuss is just pathetic.

Prince of Thorns was good, but I liked Roads of the Righteous and the Rotten better. I'm currently reading The Bones of the Earth by Rachel Dunne, and it's good so far, too. Of the "Dark" Fantasy novels I've read, I would say Prince of Thorns is my least favorite. Probably because it tries just a little too hard to be edgy.

I'm waiting for the fucking third one for ages....:/

I didn't like how it finished, because it in no way resembled the way it started. He wrote the first book in the 60s?, so don't pretend like he had a linear vision that included him getting hit and nearly killed by a truck in the 90s. Go fuck yourself.

Friendly reminder black man Idris Elba will be your gunslinger for the movie

I know its sort of a young adult series, and I know they made an awful movie out of it, but the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman is probably my favorite series of all time. It is just so goddamn fucking *beautiful* and I cried like a bitch at the end.

If I ever have a daughter I'm going to name her Lyra.

This is probably my favorite fantasy series. Cook was the first person (as far as I know) to do dark, gritty, militaristic fantasy. I re-read it every few years, and it never gets old.

>12...raping a farm girl. Then he manages to make you love the char!
i love him already

Vashet was The Hammer, the bish who trained him. The little girl was just a little girl.

bro you don't have to make fun of graphic novel "readers" for them to be ridiculed... they've ridiculed themselves already

And this is a close second. I need to re-read it because it's so densely packed with info. I'm trying to get through all the related books, first... reading Ian Esslemont's series that interweaves with this one.

Does anyone know a good dieselpunk book/series?

I remember hearing of something which was basically a mixture between dieselpunk and biopunk, but was told it wasn't that great.

Waiting not at all patiently for the third book. My life needs more wind name-calling in it.

Forgot the pic.

>stephen king
>a likable author

is this is ylyl thread? cause i lost. if i want to be bored to death i'll watch paint dry, it might be more fun actually

I fucking love these books can't wait for the third!

>hipster
Post disregarded

>I love eating your creamy turds!
>Can't wait for another tasty log down my throat!

I'm the only one who still reads the bartimaeus trilogy. Ah well Amulet of Samarkand for life

we're talking about Patrick Rothfuss here, not Andy Sixx

If reading things that are enjoyable to read makes me hipster then i never want to be square

I dunno why but king should write more sci fi stories like under the dome or cell, i really enjoyed those two. Seen and read 11 22 63, the series is great for people who dont read as much.

Hey op. read both of em 3 times. and will read the 4º near before the last one is out. like everyone im salty AF cause years of waiting

I wish he would finish the series though op.

Reading things that are enjoyable to you doesn't make you a hipster no, but forcing your opinion down people's throat in a self-satisfied manner makes you a smug hipster faggot.