I can't believe some people actually believe 1 = 0.99999

I can't believe some people actually believe 1 = 0.99999...

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/atheism/
imagefap.com/gallery.php?type=1&userid=&gen=32&search=Rose McGowan&page=0&perpage=50
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

MORE fag

1/3 == 0.3333...
1/3 * 3/1 == 3/3 == 1

It's not about "believing" you dumbfag. It's about Math. It's about Proof. It's about a Math Proof.

Unlike your "belief" in some fucking santa in the sky who'll give you eternal happiness if you just suck his cock often enough ... reality has truth.

If you don't think they are equal, you can disprove it by finding a number in between them.

0.99 < 0.999
0.999 < 0.9999

ad infinitum

or method 2:
x = 0.99999.....
10 x = 9.9999....
10x - x = 9.9999... - 0.99999....
9x = 9
x=1

I'm glad you asked that.
0.999... < (0.999... + dx) < 1

reddit.com/r/atheism/

Source: I teach maths.

Please write down the number for me that is less than 1, but is as close to 1 as you can get without being equal to 1. I will wait.

0.9999... x 10 is 9.9999... but with one fewer 9 at the end. It's infintesimely smaller

it's 0.9 CONTIOUS cockjar.

>Source: I teach maths.
Then you should know that the three dots at the end of a series of digits can be used in different context.

0.999... can be a completed number
or
0.999... can be a limit process.

the limit of 0.999... is equal to one.
the number 0.999... is not equal to one.

by the very definition of infinite it cannot be smaller.

must... not.. fall for the bait...

new here.
i understand the proof of 1 = 0.99....., does this also mean that an interval closed with 0.99...... is actually a closed interval?

if 0.9999... = 1, then:

0.99 = 0.98888...

=> 0.98888... = 1

I mean, all numbers could be proved to be equal to 1. You can't just create arbitrary defintions like this.

No, not true, try the maths for the others on paper and you will only prove they are fractions.

Fuck math. Don't care. Nice pic though OP, got a source on Dat?

and it's still not 1, cockjar

no, cause 0.99 != 0.99.....

math has more in common with religion than you think

if the number digits is infinite, then they are equal
before that point, there is an epsilon for every delta, therefore not equal

put that in your tree bark smoothie and drink it

>0.99 = 0.98888...
>=> 0.98888... = 1
false. you are implying that 0.99=1, which it does fucking not. go do some math brainlet

That's like saying 99999.... = 99999.... with an 8 at the end

There is no end. It will never exist, thus logically it's not equivalent to 1.

it is, but I´m with you by saying it´s not elegant.

1/3 * 3 = 3/3 = 1 can solve every kid
0.33.... * 3 = 0.99... as well

it´s a notation problem imo

why are there so many retards in the world?
0.999...=1, here's a proof from real analysis, now go fuck yourself.

>implying 10x is 9.9999.... in the first place

hey guys i proved my point by assuming my point was true and then rearranging numbers

There is no "proof" of 1 = 0.999...
This is an actual definition of Limits made by Liebniz for Calculus. Which is brilliant! Liebniz is all like, "Look, I know I can't actually evaluate an answer at an exact instant/point for these problems, so I'm going to create a whole new framework, and I'm going to say that if I can just keep getting closer and closer with x, and my f(x) keeps getting closer and closer and closer to a certain value, then by my limit definition, I am just going to say that it IS the value. Voila! By definiton." And it works and is consistent ... (though quite honestly, the epsilon delta definition is a bit of a circular argument ... but it is at least consistent .. do not pay attention to the man behind the curtain!)

go fry your burger philosopher, this is math, there is no space here for brainlets and people who believe in intuition, it is proved, beyond a doubt and requires no belief, it just is. if you don't believe it, fine, sad that you aren't mathematically inclined, so stop talking and please fuck yourself.

can everyone without a maths degree please fuck off. Try telling real mathematicians like the greeks that 1 is equal to a number less than 1 and they'll laugh you out of the amphitheatre.

No source, user. Saved it from here a while ago though. Post it in a >get more thread and hopefully someone will have some more.

I can't believe this low tier bait still shows up

Dude you need to bring your A game or go back to R eddit

no cuz 1=.9999...+.000...1

The number of digits being infinite does not allow it to be equal to one ... because ... between every number, there is an interval in which it takes an infinite amount of infinitesimals (dx) to make even the tiniest real number amount. This is what Calculus is all about. So even if you put an infinite amount of 9s in a row, i can still add an infinitesimal between that number and the number 1.

0.999... < (0.999... + dx) < 1

Welcome to math, the science where arbitrary symbols can mean stuff and any arrangement of these symbols are absolute truth... until someone rearranges them and decides they mean something else

you faggots asking for source of image, learn to use google "name + fappening" fucking idiots.

first of all you cannot work with this notation, it makes no sense.
second of all, if you did,
0.999... would be equal to 0.999... +dx
whatever dx is, you haven't properly defined. but you cannot find another number between.

imagefap.com/gallery.php?type=1&userid=&gen=32&search=Rose McGowan&page=0&perpage=50

3,3¯ != 3.33..2
You may want to look at periodicity

The limit does not exist!

This is why I didn't study maths beyond college, even though I was better at it than all of my lecturers. It's because of people like you who think they know everything and get extremely triggered when someone has a different opinion.

Mathematically I'm wrong, but logically I'm not, since that number could never exist. Numbers shouldn't upset you this much.

i don't know shit about math but sex can't be very good when a girl pulls out her phone and starts taking selfies

wow shock us more with your knowledge of advanced calculus. You must have a fields medal

I dunno... its kind of a turn on for me.
When it happens to other people... if it happened to me, I'd be fucking pissed

god damn you all. I have a math degrees so listen up.

.999...=1 because of the definition of infinite decimal expansions. Consider for example the *symbol*

What does this mean? It means the limit of the sequence

.3, .33, .333, .3333, .33333, ...

If you don't know the definition of the limit of a sequence of real numbers, you cannot completely understand what an infinite decimal expansion is. Now it's just a fact that the sequence

.9, .99, .999, .9999, ...

converges to 1. You can dislike the notation all you want, but this is the meaning of an infinite decimal expansion. It's really not that interesting or worth arguing about.

There's actually a name for people like that.

Mathematicians.

Well, 2 Semesters of "Accounting" classes got me Advanced Math units in Uni....
and 0.99999 = ~1 is valid....

I can't believe some people actually believe ½ = 0.50000...

i was raised to believe that pi
could be intrepreted at 22/7

for practical applications, it's 1. but for accuracy's sake, it's

At least this guy is honest.

o.999999999999... = 1 because I say so.

that's usually a 'revenge' pic