This is so overrated

This is so overrated.

It's basically just OK Computer Part 2 - 'Post-Hardcore' for people that don't like Post-Hardcore but want to tell others they do so they can appear diverse in their tastes.

Such utter fucking tripe.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8CErsQzRM70
youtu.be/ePX61LpF9fo
youtu.be/y1PnifYs47M
youtube.com/watch?v=3f9hLXdTwRc
youtube.com/watch?v=ukogajzy-Ek
youtu.be/V3jiLnnAGVY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

OP I think you posted the wrong image

>It's basically just OK Computer Part 2 - 'Post-Hardcore' for people that don't like Post-Hardcore but want to tell others they do so they can appear diverse in their tastes.
True.

It's still good though.

I didn't post the wrong image.

I posted the cover of Unwound's 'Leaves Turn Inside You," because that's the album I was describing.

Now you can either say something or you can leave.

It has its moments. I still find it extremely underwhelming especially considering the rest of their discography.

Maybe it's just taking some time to grow on me.

I listened through all of Unwound's albums one week because I wanted to hear their progression up to Leaves and they barely made an impact on me
I keep coming back and a few of their albums (Leaves, Future of What) are slowly growing on me but other than that I don't really have a strong opinion on them
It bums me out because in theory I really like what they're doing but I can't get into it much at all
October All Over and Below The Salt are literally flawless though

It's just a black image dude

yeah, i'm sure the process of creating this album was entirely driven by Unwound's desire to deceive their audience and release something that people can use as a signifier for liking post-hardcore. it's not like maybe you just didn't get it and you're being a brat about it because, like most people on this board, you have some weird twisted sense of entitlement to what you expect to hear from an album

dumbass

I love everything they've put out besides this shit, how did they let this happen?

>i'm sure the process of creating this album was entirely driven by Unwound's desire to deceive their audience and release something that people can use as a signifier for liking post-hardcore
I never said that was their intent.

You're retarded, and you're dismissed, because I simply haven't the time to deal with people that can't comprehend at a basic reading level.

okay i'm gonna leave now because you dismissed me
from your web page

idiot

Because they wanted to grow and evolve as a band instead of rehashing New Plastic Ideas for the third time

I dismissed you from the argument, idiot.

You're free to stick around in this thread and spout some more incoherent ramblings into the ether if you'd like.

I certainly won't give a shit.

Idiot.

its my favorite rock album and i hate rock. its harxly post hardcore. its all genres i hate tho but i love it somehow. indie, pop rock, slowcore, post hardcore, second wave post rock, etc...

boy your opinion sure is worth hearing i tell you what real nice opinion you got there bud don't go telling everyone at once what a great opinion you have

t. Angry autist

>rehashing New Plastic Ideas for the third time
They never once rehashed NPI.

Not in the Future of What, Repetition, or anything else they put out afterwards.

It's not your average post-hardcore album but that's what makes it so interesting and enjoyable.

Sure they evolved, but it didn't sound very good.

Leaves is what The Shape Of Punk To Come would have been if that album was actually foward-thinking and boundary-pushing

Are you mad that I decided to give a dissenting opinion on a board made to cultivate discussion and dissenting opinions?

I never said my opinion was "worth" hearing. You don't have to read it. You don't have to respond to it. I'm not entitled to any of that bullshit. I said what I had to say because this is the appropriate place to say it.

Fucking kill yourself, you goddamn child.

Ha.

Haha.

He thinks he's made me angry.

The Future of What, Repetition, and Challenges aren't your average post-hardcore album, and they're great yet extremely underrated within Unwound's discog.

Leaves is more indie rock and slowcore than anything else.

Challenge is literally the same ideas as Leaves but less developed. Even Vern Rumsey says it's his least favorite of all their albums
Get some taste

you sound like such a smart dude wow really makin me think even more about that great opinion of yours seriously like i thought your opinion was great before but now its like the best opinion ive ever heard especially the part where you didn't explain why you had that opinion in the first place and instead you just randomly sharted your opinion onto the internet with no context or explanation yeah like i said real good opinion probably the best i've ever heard wow

There is nothing forward thinking about Leaves. It represents an evolution within Unwound's discog, but not within the context of rock as a whole.

Everything they did had already been done by other bands, and they'd done it better.

>literally the same ideas as Leaves but less developed
Yeah. It's still post-hardcore.

>Even Vern Rumsey says it's his least favorite
Oh God. You're one of those retards that honestly believes musicians can't be wrong about their music.

Acknowledged.

>>Fucking kill yourself, you goddamn child.
>Ha.

>Haha.

>He thinks he's made me angry.

oh wow
maybe take a breather bud?

Name 1 album that sounds like Leaves

>Everything they did had already been done by other bands, and they'd done it better.
who? seriously, who?

>Yeah. It's still post-hardcore.
lol do you actually care that much about genre tags? is that what you're so upset about, that it doesn't sound like old unwound? opinion dismissed

*Everything they did had already been done by other bands, and those other bands did it better.

Acknowledged.

The Argument

unwound or fugazi?

>You're one of those retards that honestly believes musicians can't be wrong about their music
Are you arrogant enough to believe your opinion is more important than those of the people that wrote it, performed it, and were actually a part of the scene and context where it was created?

Fugazi is p shit save for a few songs, so Unwound.

It has nothing to do with arrogance, and obviously my opinion isn't as important as his or Sara's or Justin's but that's not what we're talking about.

You outright fucking dismissed my opinion because it doesn't agree with Vern's.

And who's to say that Vern's opinion on Challenges isn't subconsciously informed by irrelevant shit that occurred while he was producing/performing it?

Fuck, obviously my opinion isn't as important as his, but at least I can be objective towards their discography because I have no emotional/personal ties to it like its creators, so it's fucking crude to say my thoughts don't matter because he disagrees.

*unlike its creators

unwound is the post-hardcore band internet kids like to mention to show they have "diverse" taste.

You're trying to mimic what I said in the OP and you're failing.

I'm saying that Leaves isn't even post-hardcore. You're saying that Unwound is a popular within post-hardcore.

Good effort, but you'll have to try again.

its a 74 minute krautrock inspired post hardcore masterpiece. It definitely reminiscent of some of radiohead's work, but its definitely not "ok computer part 2". I like it despite the fact its more accessible and less aggressive than their previous work

>. You're saying that Unwound is a popular within post-hardcore
>is
>a

This is one of the few albums I feel inclined to go re listen to every time its brought up.

I dismissed your opinion because your opinion is literally "challenge is underrated because I say it is", and I pointed out that if you want to play that game then Vern's word probably carries a lot more weight than yours
I gave an actual reason too, which is that it's the prototype for Leaves. It's the same concepts and ideas but with less time to fully develop them. You just chose to ignore that part

Typos happen.

Do you have anything to say or are we through?

the most boring album from a boring band. I guess challenge for a civilized society is decent though.

if only Table had stuck around... youtube.com/watch?v=8CErsQzRM70

Wow, that the most blatant Albini rip off band I've ever heard. Disgusting

Theyre not even trying to hide it

This is the most "literally who" unoriginal band I've ever hear

Leaves never warranted being a double album because it had no ideas worth developing because it wasn't not original. Challenges was better because it was more succinct.

heard*

recorded in 1992, 1 year before shellac released their first 7'. Albini also recorded that particular song.

>it wasn't not original
Correct

good criticism you moron

My favorite album from them. Love how consistent their discography is and how they evolved from 1993-2001.

1. LTIY
2. NPI
3. FT

Btw, Radiohead is shit and OK Computer is overrated.

*it wasn't original

That was obviously a typo you dumb shit!

It's good headphone music. It's barely hardcore punk. Idk what you're looking for

>recorded in 1992, 1 year before shellac released their first 7'. Albini also recorded that particular song.
oh wow that's actually p cool

Your criticism is to call me a moron?

Ha.

Haha.

Good criticism, you moron.

yeah, its too bad the bassist had a heroin problem and basically fucked everything up for them. could've been one of the greats.

>That was obviously a typo you dumb shit!
Could you be anymore of a humongous faggot? I bet your family and peers cringe whenever you open your mouth

You keep saying that Leaves isn't original because other bands did the same style first but you won't give examples. I'm not disagreeing with you but I can't think of anybody that made something like this before them
You can point to bands like Slint or Godspeed or Can that came up with some of the elements first but the whole thing that makes Leaves interesting is that they took those elements and combined them with what they knew to create something different

Hes talking out of his ass. Leaves was pretty unique in 2001

you're the one who made a shitty thread trying to trash an album but without saying a single substantial thing. you may as well have not said anything at all.

>This is so overrated.
meaningless
>It's basically just OK Computer Part 2 - 'Post-Hardcore' for people that don't like Post-Hardcore but want to tell others they do so they can appear diverse in their tastes.
meaningless anecdotal bullshit
>Such utter fucking tripe.
meaningless opinion

This is probably my favorite album ever. This or New Plastic Ideas. I didn't like it at all at first, but over a few months it clicked. There is nothing like it. It's definitely inspired by Radiohead, but I believe the comparisons are overexagerated . The production isn't anything like Godrich's and the songwriting and instrumental work is a world away from OK Computer, and from their previous albums. The percussion is also a head above OK Computer.

Unwound's still tight on this album. They eschew regular structure throughout practically all of it, and it pays off immensely, there's a lot to take in. It's really unique. It isn't like OK Computer and it's not like The Argument. These comparisons just aren't fair, all these albums had different aspirations. You don't have to like this album, but you really haven't said why well yet, and I'm interested. I think there's a few good reasons and I'd like to hear your thoughts. It's barely post-hardcore in the sense their other work is.

Anyway I could write more about it, but I just wanted to give my two cents.

While I'm at it, you should all listen to Live Leaves. I think it's arguably the best live album of the 21st century so far. I think if you didn't like the album there's a good chance you'll still like this.

This, there really isn't anything like it, especially in it's time.

>could you be anymore of a humongous faggot
I could be you.

Yeah, that's it. I could wake up in the morning as you and not put a bullet in my brain immediately.

Only Leaves borrows more from Radiohead than from Slint or GYBE.

Other albums that did the same thing but earlier and better include OKC, The Argument, The White Birch, etc.

It was unique in the 90's and exhausted by 2001.

Obviously I'm not going to front-load all of my arguments in my first post, you moron.

You clearly don't know what an anecdote is, by the way.

I like this album, but some of the songs sound way too "passive". Like Terimnus is a great song on the surface, but theres no "umph" to it. Definitely couldve used more energy

I don't give a shit about your two cents you dumb bitch. Your two cents are stupid and fucking wrong.

Get the fuck out of my thread and fellate yourself to your shitty, unoriginal Indierock-Slowcore hybrid you shit fuck.

Favorite Unwound song boys?

Mine's youtu.be/ePX61LpF9fo

>OKC, The Argument, The White Birch
It doesnt sound like any of those albums. Of those 3 its closest to The Argument, and its still pretty distinguishable and unique from The Argument

>Obviously I'm not going to front-load all of my arguments in my first post, you moron.
well you should have, because i'm not going to waste my time reading through this thread
>You clearly don't know what an anecdote is, by the way.
if that wasn't even anecdotal, then it was complete and utter shit pulled straight from your ass. where else could you have possibly gotten an "argument" like that?

the argument was released after ltiy anyway

>It doesn't sound like any of those albums.
Wrong. Consider yourself dismissed from this argument.

From this point on, if you reply to any of my posts I'm going to respond with "Acknowledged."

>well you should have, because i'm not going to waste my time reading through this thread
Well that certainly demonstrates your interest in this subject and accordingly I think it's only fit that I invest the same amount of energy anything you want to say, which is why I'm not reading the rest of your post or anything else you post in this thread.

Consider yourself dismissed from the argument as well.

>The White Birch,
fucking what?
not at all

*invest the same amount of energy in anything you want to say

>dismissed from the argument
You are fucking sad. If you had even an ounce of self awareness you'd hang yourself immediately

>not at all
You couldn't be more wrong if you even tried.

The band themselves explicitly cite The White Birch as one of many inspirations to Leaves in notes that came with the LP.

Consider yourself dismissed from the argument, on account of not being a real fan and not knowing what the fuck you're talking about.

Okay. It's obvious you're just fishing for replies, and it's too bad because I like this album and I'd love to talk about it, even someone who dislikes it. Since you're not going to actually talk about the album, and instead name drop genres, bands, and other albums that have no relation to the ACTUAL MUSIC outside of inspiration, and attack me personally, I'm just going to ignore you. It seems like all discussion here is becoming this, and it's sad because this is still probably the best place for discussion of music.

I thought the same thing when I first listened to it. It definitely grows on you. But I think I have just what you're looking for. On their live album the punch you're looking for is there.
youtu.be/y1PnifYs47M

He's just trolling, ignore him, we can still talk about it.

Acknowledged.

(Also that image isn't analogous because I am reading your posts, I'm just not giving you a substantial reply, because you don't deserve one).

Are you talking about White Birch the album by Codeine or the band White Birch?

>I'm just not giving you a substantial reply, because you don't deserve one
Then why are you still giving replies? You said you were just going to write "acknowledged" but youre still making full responses. Putting your response in parenthesis doesnt make it any less of a response

>it's obvious that you're just fishing for replies
Which really means you've exhausted whatever arguments you once had and can now only spout whatever bullshit is most simple and convenient.

You're cute. I won't dismiss you.

The album.

What elements or songs on Leaves do you think sound similar to OK Computer?

Acknowledged.

(The original intent was to punish people. Reading posts and only responding with "Acknowledged" is supposed to indicate how utterly unmoved I am by the posts' contents and how little regard I have for anything you've to say on the matter at hand).

(I'm giving full-fledged responses right now because these details are key. If the people I've dismissed don't understand that I'm still reading their posts, they don't understand how little regard I have for them and what they've to say).

(Since we're not talking about Leaves or Unwound I figured it was appropriate to temporarily lift the dismissal and expand on its ethos so you could appreciate it).

(Do you have any other questions concerning your dismissal?)

Man chill out

>Reading posts and only responding with "Acknowledged" is supposed to indicate how utterly unmoved I am by the posts' contents and how little regard I have for anything you've to say on the matter at hand)
Acknowledging the posts at all means they're still getting under your skin
Wouldn't just ignoring them get your point across better?

what the fuck is this thread

Can you make more threads like this? This is pretty entertaining to read

Well, for starters there's obviously the vocals.

Get the fuck out of my thread.

Acknowledge.

(On the contrary, if their posts were getting under my skin, I'd be defending myself instead of just saying "Acknowledged." Do you understand now? By saying "Acknowledged," I'm declaring that I've so little interest in what they've to say about me that I don't even care to defend myself.)

(Ignoring them doesn't get my point across better. Ignoring them suggests a possible truth to their words. Ignoring them suggests I can't tolerate what they're saying so I'm plugging my ears up.)

literally no one likes you

i know you made this thread unty

I only sorta kinda like Leaves but I haven't had this much fun with Sup Forums in a while

Favorite Unwound song?

youtube.com/watch?v=3f9hLXdTwRc

YES

YEEESSSSSSSS

I already asked this, yet everyone just wants to argue about opinions.

I made original points and counterpoints addressing your thoughts in this post , which you immediately dismissed in this one:
> (You)
>I don't give a shit about your two cents you dumb bitch. Your two cents are stupid and fucking wrong.
You don't address any of what I say and use ad hominem here...
>Get the fuck out of my thread and fellate yourself to your shitty, unoriginal Indierock-Slowcore hybrid you shit fuck.
... and here. The only point you make it the reply is calling it unoriginal, which is what you've done this whole time, and what I disputed in the post you replied to, which you consequently ignored.

In , you claim I have exhausted my arguments, when you didn't address them in the first place after I made my counterpoints. I'd be glad to participate in discourse regarding this album if you'd be willing to reciprocate. So far, you have exhausted whatever arguments you once had, and can now only spout whatever is most simple and convenient (name dropping genres, which you also do in
in an attack against myself, bands, and albums, all of which are inspirations, which you yourself () has said that the band acknowledges). Through this logic it's clear you're just trolling and have no interest in discussion. If mods had any care left for this board, you'd be banned.

It's too bad, I thought you liked Unwound, Unty. I genuinely miss your posts, they were some of the best on this board. You're my favorite trip.

terminus for me

>he thinks listening to rock subgenres makes your taste diverse

ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I think the Live Leaves version of Below the Salt is my favorite. The outro is immaculate, it's too bad it's not that way on the album, though it's still great and probably my favorite song on Leaves. Or Fiction Friction, the LL version of arboretum (fucking incredible), or Envelope.

There's something so special about the chord progression on Envelope, I love the chord voicings Trosper uses in his guitar parts, and the bass chords Vern uses, you really see it on that song along with all NPI and Leaves

I'm also seconding this. OP thinks it's awful impressive to say post-hardcore and slowcore a dozen times, but never address what's actually on the album. Have you listened to highlife before? Do you even know what part of the world it originated from, or the genres it took root from? This is a genre that has sold millions of albums and you've probably never heard of it in your life, because it's not Eurocentric in any way.

Admittedly my knowledge and interest lies mostly in rock music, and I don't listen to much highlife, but it's apparent he doesn't even understand the genres he is name dropping so pathetically.

Two of my favorites for sure
I need to listen to their back catalog more but my favorites are probably something like
>October All Over
>Swan
>We Invent You
>Go To Dallas And Take A Left
>Kantina
>Lady Elect
>Disappoint

youtube.com/watch?v=ukogajzy-Ek
one of my faves

So much for not responding. I can see your autism has been fully engaged. Btw those are multiple anons youre responding to, not one guy

You all need to get the fuck out of my thread.

GET THE FUCK OUT.

GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT.

You should check out their singles if you haven't yet, there are a few absolute gems.
youtu.be/V3jiLnnAGVY
I forgot to mention Laszlo in my list of my favorite Unwound songs, it's so good, I understand why was a single and not on Leaves, but it's incredible. The whole damn song is great.

Oh shit, yeah that first guy I didn't mean to reply to, I meant
To be
on this post
I don't think I said I wasn't going to reply, just that he was trolling. Is replying futile? Yeah, probably. I don't know how sincere Unty is, he feels like a living art piece, and whenever I think I see him posting I like to reply and argue with him, because he loves to pretend he uses logic when he just says dumb shit.

Put your trip back on.

we're in the midst of a professional shitposter folks