How did Frodo and Sam have the balls to do what they did?

How did Frodo and Sam have the balls to do what they did?

They risked almost certain death by walking into mordor, and taking the responsibility of the ring.

What would you do if Gandalf turned up at your house and was like yo user here is the ring of power, if you dont walk for like 3 years through land filled with fire and monsters that want to eat you the whole world will die.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BKIgv8AhffA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

he was a gardener

ever see those mexican landscaper work? they're tough bastards

They were just average guys who summoned the courage needed for an immense task

It's about war

Wait, so he's ACTUALLY a gardener? I thought when he told Faramir that he was only joking around

>for like 3 years

uh...the entire journey took less than a year

Are you a women?
If yes than I'm sorry because you will never understand it.

they lived in a time period before the internet when people actually got out and did stuff instead of bitching about how oppressed they are on a hmong shadow puppetry board

Frodo had tookish blood, they're the crazy motherfuckers of hobbits. Sam followed along through sheer homolust for Frodo.

u wot m8 its my favorite movie of all time, i have watched the extended trilogy at least 10 times. I understand the message of the film, i just wanted a lord of rings thread.

I just re watched the fellowship today, it gives me feels every time i watch it knowing that the horror Frodo experiences make it so he can never live his life raising a family, and spending time with his bromeo Sam.

>Are you a women?

because they were the only ones who could do it, the whole Middle Earth relied on them, and they knew that to protect the Shire, Ring must be destroyed

hes frodo's gardener in the books. They become friends in the journey

>the entire journey took less than a year
Pleb detected

I doubt many people in any time period would be able to do what the hobbits did, to go and do a selfless act alone against unimaginably forces.

Historically people would flee from a battle at the first sign of their side losing, most wars ended with mass routes rather than killing every person.

the reason the Hobbits were the only ones who could do it was exactly because they had no idea what they were getting into.

Frodo, Sam, and everyone always loved whenever Gandalf came around, they respected him. So Gandalf shows up and is like "this is really important please do this for me" and so the Hobbits are like "yea ok no problem"

it wasn't until they got to Rivendell that hey realized shit was going down, but by then they had not only left the shire for the first time, but travelled with a Ranger, bested the ring wraiths, and met fucking elves. They had gotten a taste for adventure, and assumed everything would work out since Gandalf, Aragorn, and a bunch of other badass warriors were coming along the trip. They were just a bunch of naive guys looking for adventure.

By the time shit started going really south, they were already in too deep to turn back.

and then all the shit about brotherhood and becoming something more than yourself and the good nature of the hobbits and stuff. It's all there, but the main thing is that they literally didn't know better than to be brave and fearless. Best part about their characters IMO

That's the whole point of the story. The unexpected heros rising up to a task never meant for them. That's what makes it so good.

Why..why are you calling me a pleb? They are done and just wandering the north chillin' at rivendell and they note the dates.

Very true they did not know what they were doing, but they had so many opportunities to go back.

Frodo offered to take the ring at council of Elrond, he was not forced to do so and he knew the danger involved.

Sam listened to the whole discussion and chose to stick with his friend even though he would go to Mordor and potentially die.

When Boromir dies there is a second chance to give up for Sam, and Frodo decides that the burden is his alone and leaves the fellowship to travel to what may aswell be Hell on his own.

The others are trained fighters, Sam and Frodo are simple folk and thats what makes their accomplishment even more amazing.

Because it's like in the great stories, Mr. user. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. user, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

:'(

Sam literally tells you why in that great speech you faggot.

They were already friends in the book, Samwise father was Bilbo's gardener, thats how frodo and sam know eachother

>sam is gay for frodo
Spotted the pleb

Because they didn't quite understand the dangers of what they were getting into. And when they finally did, they still didn't grasp how daunting it would be.

By the time they realized they were in so much danger they were in the thick of it and had no alternative but to go on.

>they literally didn't know better than to be brave and fearless

feels

Yeah, nah mate. In WWI, people still climb out of trenches into certain death just because someone blew a whistle. Even today, people still jump on grenades to save their buddies.

They do by the time of the meeting with Elrond. Frodo did it out of selflessness. Sam did it out of duty and friendship. Merry and Pippin tagged along for the adventure but eventually also out of 'patriotism' for a lack of another term.

Well said. One of the most powerful themes in the Lord of the Rings is that ordinary people can do extraordinary things when necessary.

Tolkien himself was a commander in World War I. He fought in the Battle of the Somme. I suspect that he imbued Frodo and Sam with the same incredible resolve that he saw in his countrymen who willingly marched into the jaws of death to defend their own "Shire." I think we sometimes take for granted just how horrific the world wars of the 20th century were. Helms Deep is nothing compared to the Somme, or Stalingrad, or D-Day. I think Tolkein saw true heroism in regular folks like you and me. Many would willingly die to defend their homeland. That concept seems strange in this day and age, but I think deep down it is true for many of us. The fundamental instinct to protect one's home is powerful indeed. That's what Frodo and Sam were doing. They weren't doing it "for Middle Earth." They were doing it for Bag End and the Green Dragon.

Why didn't Candorff just order the eagles to fly Fredo and Sammy to Mt. Doom?

They didn't grasp the full circumstance of their task until their options were pretty much
A) Throw the ring away and live an easy life, but doom the world to Sauron's rule a few years/decades down the line when he eventually finds it
B) Push on through the horror and the fear and get shit done.

It's their choice and their motivation to pick B which makes them compelling characters.

Because they know if they don't do it, nobody will.
I'm sure Merry didn't expect to stab a Witch King in battle when the hobbits were in the Prancing Poneys, but he crawled his way through a battlefield and wounded an ancient warlord to protect his friends.
Some people were born great like Legolas, others achieved greatness like Aragorn. The four hobbits had greatness thrusted upon them whether or not they asked for it.

He's a gardener in the movies too. Remember when he's introduced in FotR, while eavesdropping on Frodo and Gandalf while trimming the hedges?

A large part of it was that none of the Hobbits truly understood the scope of the task ahead of them. They had never been outside the borders of the Shire, had no idea how big and dangerous the outside world really was.

I cry manly tears every time I watch it
And I am no man

WWI movie with Tolkien as the main character that ends with him grading papers at Oxford and suddenly writing "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit." fucking when?

That shit was such a gamble.

You just know after the final battle against Melkor, Sauron and Gandalf were chilling and Sauron is like, "dude I can't believe that shit with the little dudes and the Ring worked..."

Not even.

Shire -> Rivendell lasted late July to October. They left Rinvendell in early Winter and it was still Winter when they got to Lorien. They stayed there for a month (for them a few days) and it was nearly Spring when the Fellowship broke.

It's been awhile since I read the books, but I'm pretty sure the Ring is destroyed around Autumn.

Humble protestant virtue user, it's what built the modern world

And now that world is being cucked

hobbits have +10 to bravery

It isn't that hard when you are not a delusioned post-modern atheist

You have to keep in mind he had the one ring itself which gives you a bravery stat of at least +100 and it gives you stealth with instant cooldown (with diminishing returns of course) the ring actually helped him on his journey because it wanted to go back to Sauron but golem fucking saved the day by overextending mid lane and destroying the ring. Also he had sam-wise the friendly gardener of truth and friendship which is a solid +5 charisma boost.

Reading a post full of meme, /tg/ references, any dota meta references and TLotR while listening to Daft Punk.
A man can take only so much coolness inside.

Actually gave me chills and I've only read the books once

>I wasn't droppin no eaves, sir.

Somehow Sean Astin managed to be the best actor in a movie full of legendary actors.

>There will never be a movie thats as universally liked on this board as LOTR

feels bad man

because certain death was if they did not.

The whole series was kind of a metaphor for war and how "small" people can find themselves able to do things considered by many to be impossible or terrifying- not cause if they don't it'll be the end of the world or anything, but because they're doing it for the guy next to them

that feeling of camaraderie and brotherhood withing warfare is something that you can't really explain, it's just that you know that this dude next to you will literally lay down his life for you and you'll do the same without a second thought

that kind of brotherhood is fairly unique to soldiers and maybe other jobs like firefighters

Wasn't "a few days" in Lorien, it just seemed that way to the Hobbits.
Read a book, Nog.

Destroyed in March. Read it again.

Correct.

The Brits in WWI and WWII really had an amazing resolve and drive to protect their home against some really overwhelming odds. Tolkien really got that having lived it.

The same way WWI soldiers had the balls to do what they did.

I didn't fully appreciate the two towers until I got older, and it was partially because of threads here on Sup Forums

This thread really reflects the current state of Sup Forums and shows how far it has sunk.

youtube.com/watch?v=BKIgv8AhffA

If only Hollywood could make good films again.

Why the fug didn't they give the ring to Samwise? Nigga was tough as balls.

But no, let's give it to fey-ass Frodo, who is literally genetically predispositioned to being the ring's bitch.

Fucking Gandalf just likes to see Bagginses suffer.

I hope you love horses user

You're a fucking moron

Because at the time Sam didn't understand the danger of it. Frodo had experienced it first hand plus had seen what it did to Bilbo so he was the only one there who truly appreciated it's power, except for Gandalf who refused since he knew even he would just abuse it.

thanks for your opinion.

Did Bilbo never told Frodo about Gollum?

Yes, Frodo even brings it up.

Why was the soundtrack for these films so good?

Because everything in them was good.

The are men.
Not women in the fellowship. Bro can motivate another bro and no pussy as distraction and reasons to conflict.

ayo any toronto niggas here?
the symphony orchestra is playing the soundtrack to the movie in December. I snagged some tickets.
time to cry like a bitch

Tolkien was a Catholic desu, it seeps into every part of his work

Because they were misinformed.
They didn't know the eagles would have done the job a lot faster.