Probably not his best album but my personal favorite. What's ur favorite Sufjan album Sup Forums?

Probably not his best album but my personal favorite. What's ur favorite Sufjan album Sup Forums?

I downloaded Illinoise the other day because I saw it posted so often
I found it extremely bland and I hated the singing voice
So I won't be bothering with any others

well his albums are quite varied in sound so if you don't like one you may like another.

That one

Try the Avalanche then

or try . lots of cool beeb boop robot noises in this one

Age of Adz is like, completely different. Carrie and Lowell too.

Illinoise is amazing though so idk what to tell you

Probably Illinois, though Carrie and Lowell might have overtaken it at this point for me honestly.

Michigan is up there as well.

Your favorite album is the best album, music has no objective qualities.

I can't take seriously the opinion of someone who types "idk", sorry.

desu lol

The real issue with Illinoise is how front-loaded the album is. It starts with some fantastic songs (see: title track and John Wayne Gacy Jr.), but as the album progresses it grows less and less memorable and a chore to listen to. Really didn't need as many tracks as it has. About half of them could have gone on some B-sides.

I suppose Illinoise when I'm feeling depressed, and Michigan when I'm really, really depressed

>music has no objective qualities.
bruh. also someone can acknowledge that something is flawed to the point of being of a lesser quality, yet still enjoy it more due to personal attachments. i know that who let the dogs out is a garbage song, but hearing it makes me happy because it reminds me of being a kid.

Is Illinois really a depressing album? It's never really struck me as one.

>music has no objective qualities.
Except you can still measure music with objective qualities. Tempo, pitch, bpm, what notes are used, what scales/melodies, whatever. These are things you can measure and prove to exist within a piece a music.

Of course, I'm not saying they dictate how good or bad it is, but saying "music has no objective qualities" is just wrong.

Age of Adz is Sufjan's masterpiece. Hoping that for his next release, the pendulum swings back towards the grandiose electronic-orchestration....

I used to think this, but I later realized it's just Predatory Wasp that kills the flow and wears you out. And you might not think so because it doesn't seem that bad—and it's not—but it's definitely the low point of the album.

Those are things that are quantified, not qualified.

seven swans or the avalanche. I understand avalanche is just leftovers from michigan (right?) but it's just a fun album.

Nevertheless, qualities are not inherently subjective.

I mean that's basically what Planetarium is

I think this song is incredible, just from a lyrical standpoint if nothing else.

No you fucking dumbshit

bmp is the only thing there that is quantified, everything else is qualitative

Retake high school physics

If you think of "quantifying" as just counting linearly, then yes.

Predatory Wasp is by far the best song for me. I think the lowpoint is probably Chicago, the grandiosity of it always seemed cheap to me, I much prefer the versions on Illinoize.

this is the guy who tells you he didn't like an album, expects you to convince him otherwise, but won't listen to anything you have to say because he's a stubborn pleb. i know this guy well, he reveals himself by announcing his rigid opinion