Degree for writer/director

Gonna try to make it as a writer/director

I want to go to college but I don't want to major in meme degrees such as film production or english lit.

what are some useful degrees for filmmakers? I was thinking psychology... what do you guys think?

>posting a picture that's more interesting than your post
Tell me who that qt boy is

Psychology = Film/Lit

Sounds like a good plan OP!

try explaining to me why NOT studying the behavior of people isn't helpful, you don't see the applications?

Obviously film should be #1. If not, philosophy. If not that, english. If too dumb, stay with psych.

>going to film school
>not going to films

No. English Lit is number 1

>posting the whole photo
madman!

>boy
user, sorry.. but it's a girl :(

No half-measures.

Psychology =/= Film/ Lit.

If you don't want a degree in the thing you want to pursue, dont get a degree. Just spend your money on learning the craft through amateur filmmaking

>philosophy
yeah that's a pretty good idea too

I feel film degrees are useless, you can learn and apply the knowlage they give you online, and put together your own projects with craigslist/students

well, Quentin"big" T went to films. not film schools, and oh it shows, it shows.

I'd imagine English would be more applicable

You could argue that but majoring in film should get you contacts within the industry, which unfortunately is more important than having solid understandings of theory.

Either study English or drop the idea completely and get a useful degree

>Gonna try to make it as a writer/director
>80k student debt on a liberal arts major
unless you're paid for by your parents, you're just setting up a classic suicide condition by age 30

you're going to graduate and have to find employment to pay for all the debt you've accumulated in college

learn to live as frugal as possible, and work 8-10hrs a day on your craft

Do a double major like me. Just pick film studies and then something else that interests you, like I'm doing French studies.
Either of those majors on their own can come across as pussy majors, but if you double major you can pretty much wiggle yourself into any field, just cuz people know you have the work ethic.

Studying the behavior of people does not necessarily translate into being able to create and better understand art.

>reverse Google search
>it's a Turk
wtf i love roaches now

Remember to set some money aside for barista training

fucking hotpockets wouldnt let us discuss this movie when it came out, all threads were deleted. uncultured fucks

Depends on the school. Most institutions claim they can give you the connections, but very few actually pull through - at least this is my understanding from people I've talked to

don't take film studies, you can learn anything you'd need to know on your own or from workshops from unions. If you want to get into writing, again you can get into free or paid workshop classes, or improv classes, and make connections there for future films.

If you want to get some sort of post-secondary education I'd go into business, something enterpreneurial, that teaches you how to run, finance, market, and manage your own small business, which is essentially what a small time director (assumingly also producer) would be doing. Money gets you anywhere.

Besides that way you have a degree in something you can fall back on and you can also always take elective courses in film/writing/art history/whatever.

Uni is only a valid option for traditional employment (protip: producers don't give a fuck about your education, they care about your portfolio)

You are literally wasting time & money trying to go this route, and to add insult to injury; you're trying to major in something that DOESN'T even fucking progress you as a creative individual.

The only thing you should be concerned about is applying yourself to your art, so get off Sup Forums and start writing until you have a good script, then put together a crew to film it > rinse/repeat until you have a film at a major festival and get the attention of producers with real connections.

Keep in mind location is very important, it doesn't have to be LA but if you're living out in Idaho or some shit, you're going to struggle to find talent to work with.

Hoping that his school hooks him up is far from the largest leap of faith he's taking in pursuing this path, but you're probably right.
Probably the most sound advice but you'll never be the artistic director you want to be by going this route.

Probably film, you fool

>Gonna try to make it as a writer/director
Get to LA or get into a good film school

>I want to go to college but I don't want to major in meme degrees such as film production or english lit.
You might not learn what you want from film courses but the benefits of pursuing a film degree are the connections that will open up. Breaking into the industry is all about whoring yourself out to the right person and good film schools will dramatically increase your network to people who really matter behind the scenes

>what are some useful degrees for filmmakers?
If not a film related degree, either literature or business

>I was thinking psychology... what do you guys think?
lol are you a woman?

if anything major in acting so you can make friends with upcoming talent and cast them in your short films and shit

Best advice for OP so far.

But only if you're a slut

>Film graduate here

A film degree is useless on its own. Major in something practical with future job prospects, potential for career growth and ideally applicable across numerous fields.
You can minor in film or do film electives whilst completing a useful degree if you need to learn the basics or need to build up your network.

Film jobs aren't granted by a piece of paper, they're granted through networking and demonstration of marketability/success through finished works.

tldr get a useful degree and make and study films on your own time.

nump