Literally (R)eddit: The Show

Literally (R)eddit: The Show

(Life Is) Stranger Things

How long before Mike rips it apart and make Jay cry?

Marvel is (R)eddit and everybody on Sup Forums likes it.

kill yourself embarrassing faggot

Most overrated show i've seen in recent years.

i liked it

I have a suspicion that most of the shitpost threads about this show are just thinly veiled attempts at starting a discussion thread.

You don't have to hate something just because it's popular you know

Mike has shown himself to be the total pleb he's always been in recent videos. Jay is patrician

>omfg this show is too good!
>no one could possibly be saying anything negative about it without being ironic!

Unironically kill yourself.

Basically. Everyone here is so wrapped up in being a special snowflake with an edgy opinion that the only way to get someone's attention is by shitting themselves. Good show. Winnona Ryder is still pretty hot

Thing is, Stranger Things isn't even popular though.

You don't have to like something just because it's not popular you know, you pretentious hipster faggot.

If I'm only defined by what I hate, no one can make fun of what I actually like.

no, the people with negative opinions are usually that ones who post in the thread.

in the past 2 days almost every thread about this show has been a dramatic ad hominem shitpost OP followed by 200 replies of actual discussion where people said why they did or did not like the show

I'm 3 episodes in and liking it.
AaAam I reddit?

If you think Jay is patrician than you're an even bigger pleb than Rich and Mike put together, and that's saying something. Jay is a contrarian hipster who only likes/dislikes things to go against the mainstream opinion. Mike constantly calls him out for it.

Are you alright?

>Stranger Things isn't even popular though.

Well, apparently it's just behind spammed here by advertising shills.

So what is the best TV show, and why is it Stranger Things?

Name examples of this. Because you can't

If you don't like it, that's fine. But it's clearly fucking popular.

If you like Stranger Things you need to FK off back to >>/reddit/

It absolutely is popular

I don't get the hype behind this it's literally baby's first x-files/stephen king show.

it's alright for its length, but it gets really shit really fast. episodes 1 and 2 are a little rough, 3-5 are the best, and 6-8 drop consistently in quality. i couldn't imagine these writers dragging on the show for more than 8 episodes, considering everything in the show is so unoriginal and uninspired.

this. the show is nothing special but you've got people here on Sup Forums that treat it like it is the greatest show ever made. i really hate people who can't just take things for what they are and instead make every show they watch to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Can you cite any specific criticisms of Stranger Things?

>Winona's acting
>The finale felt a bit weak compared to the episode before it, El should have killed the monster and rescued the lost kid somehow while she was in the "isolation chamber" the protagonists united to create in the school gym

exactly. it's nothing new or at all novel. worst of all it's not even that well done.

>watched GoT until season 2
>stopped

>watched this until episode 2
>stopped

Why can't more people be like me?

You seem to know a lot of that place.

Go back.

I think they'll both think it's pretty good for a TV show.

but really, the review will be carried by Rich heavily and he'll talk a whole bunch about how it reminds him of being a kid in the 80s.

Jay will talk about the monster is "okay". it's more of a composite of other ideas...the monster itself is far less interesting than where it comes from, ect.

Mike will comment on the casting, how the kids did a good job and they'll all agree Ryder was overacting a shit-ton. They'll all also probably agree it had some pacing issues as well.

I mean, I liked it but lets face it, X-Files in it's prime could have done the whole story as solid 2-parter, easy.

then give some examples of shows like it. You can't say Twin Peaks or Xfiles.
all of you say it's been done before and don't back it up
protip: books don't count. Keep it the same medium

it definitely dived after ep 5 but the finale picked it up again.
>unoriginal and uninspired.
doesn't have to be as long as it's executed well

>Winona was shit
>the writing was pretty bad past ep 5 with the DOE making weird inconsistent decisions

>the writing was pretty bad past ep 5 with the DOE making weird inconsistent decisions
Can you elaborate on this a bit?

>You can't say Twin Peaks or Xfiles.
>You can't use the only two examples that have done it infinitely better

>has watched stranger things
>enjoyed stranger things
>hasn't watched Beyond the Black Rainbow yet
What's your excuse?

Why are there so many special snowflakes on Sup Forums who get so defensive about this show? It's honestly not even that great of a show.

Literally never happened

>tfw netflix will almost certainly cancel Marco Polo

It's shit

>X is reddit guise!
This would be a lot more credible if it wasn't said about virtually EVERY show and movie, including ones that predate the existence of reddit.

Black Rainbow is shit but it's nice to look at and has a nice soundtrack. Of course only a contrarian hipster who loved Stranger Things would also enjoy that piece of shit.

I liked this show, it reminded me of stuff I would watch growing up and I liked how the kids weren't total faggots like today's youth.

It happens constantly in the current culture.

How is liking stranger things contrarian or hipster? The show is pretty popular

>it's nothing but references and homages
>somehow people think this means it's good

this is jj abrams fault

I have never seen anybody on a /Sgt/ praising the show like it's perfect, obviously they use adjectives like "fantastic" or "amazing" but that doesn't mean they think this show is the GOAT

Both are pretty patrician, but Mike is a sci-fi geek and Jay is a horror geek and so they both enjoy films of those genres that might not meet the standards that they hold other movies to.

I've seen them already

>Hopper breaks in the facility
>doesn't get murdered even though DOE clearly doesn't give a shit and kills the cook indiscriminately earlier even though they could just take the girl
you can rationalize by saying "oh they did it because they didn't realise back then how big of a deal the missing boy would be but later they have to play more careful because too many strange things happening in a tiny ass town would attract unwanted attention" but I think it was just sloppy writing
>11 running way felt like a dumb way to create drama and fell flat because they resolved it the next episode almost immediately
>Hop knocks out a MIB at the junkyard and the DOE doesn't immediately make the connection that an adult is helping the kids when the only person with knowledge about them and what's transpiring is Hopper
>DOE doesn't immediately go to Joyce's place to look for the kids (they knew who they were at that point and they knew they were Will's friends so they knew Will was out there still)
>Hop knocks out a state trooper in the morgue and DOE just lets it slide
there's more that I can't remember
in defense of the showrunners, they were writing it as they were going along. Hopefully S2 will be more fleshed out from the start.

>explaining why you like it is being defensive nowadays
>mom I called the show shit and they're actually trying to tell me why it's not!! wahhh
it wasn't perfect and had its faults but I still think it was good and I enjoyed it

I thought it was pretty overrated too. Definitely not the most overrated I've seen in recent years, but it's up there. Still, it was a pretty entertaining watch. The show wears it's influences on it's sleeve but sometimes it seems like they could've done more to play with these tired old tropes and ideas rather than just replicating them in a knowing way. Can't say I didn't enjoy the show though, all things considered.

It just kinda irks me when I google it, and it turns out that the critics have recieved this just as well as True Detective series 1. Bitch please. Stranger Things is the equivilant of a great popcorn flick. True Detective series 1 is a work of art, and even though they're not the same kind of show, it beats Stranger Things in practically every department.

This. If you unironically like capeshit and pay to watch capeshit and come here to clutter the board with endless threads about capeshit, you have not only given up your right to tell anyone to leave but also your right to criticise anything ever again for the rest of your life because you're a pleb and you have SHIT taste.

Also this.

Does Reddit mean quality and Sup Forums means autistic garbage?

good. I've never seen it but GOOD

>turns out that the critics have recieved this just as well as True Detective series 1.
TD was received well because it was executed well, just like ST. In a sense they are similar shows - mystery shows about weird shit happening that have non-amateur tier pacing and script. The best stories don't need to be most inventive stories, just ones that are executed well. TDs2 was almost comically bad compared to TD1, even if it had a pretty interesting story, mostly because it was just badly made.
Was TD better? I suppose so, it was almost as tropey (but what ISN'T a trope nowadays) but had a more interesting plot. But it also dealt with adults and way more mature themes (and in a way TD's "monster" was way worse than ST's).
It's like comparing apples to oranges, they're not the same but they're both well executed flavourful fruits and I can like both equally.
The overwhelming majority of shows nowadays are fucking trash with nothing redeeming about them. ST was a breath of fresh air, just like TD.

I think the writers should have done a better job at making more clear the intentions of the government, for me the main reason they were so forgiving is because they needed to know where eleven was, that's why the government spared hopper at first. Later Hopper and winona volunteered to go through the portal, so for the government it was a win win situation: either they die (wich was the most likely scenario taking into account the last experience) and forget about it or they make it back and bring useful information about the upside down.

>le capeshit is bad, you're literally hitler if you pay to watch it
>but paying for le Netflix™ mediocre content makes you patrician

It's so easy to spot you redditors nowadays. Get your head out of your ass, kid. It's all crap, but capeshitfags aren't under the impression that they are watching high art.

RJ cucked the other guy and has a bigger diick though

>Stranger Things is the equivilant of a great popcorn flick. True Detective series 1 is a work of art

Pretty much this.

Netflix can get you laid, whereas capeshit will lower your chances

> I've never seen X but I'm happy its going to be canceled
Why?

>people say they didn't like your flavor of the month favorite show
>wahhh!! they are all wrong and stupid plebs, or they must be pretending they didn't like it!! wahhh
>i'm not being defensive (i swear) but i'll attack
those posters personally anyway, because they insulted my favorite show! wahhh!

Fuck off, you're show is shit and I hope it gets cancelled.

Nice b8

Show is pretty good. Distrust of government is refreshing. If it has a direction to it, an ending in mind, then it will be a great show. Too many shows these days go on for way too long. Mike and jay can say what they want. I will maintain respect for both them and the show.

True Detective was rich with themes though. It's the kinda thing you can really sink your teeth into. It started off as a book and you can tell. While Stranger Things makes constant references to old 80's movies that influenced it, True Detective did more than just reference, it explored the ideas that it references. Ideas ranging from fringe scientific theories to Nietzche to Lovecraftian lore. It really explored them and used them in the context of the show. Think of the idea of eternal recurrance, time being a flat circle and repeating itself. It really does repeat itself: think of Hart cheating on his wife not once, but twice. Think of the idea of the killer being right under the nose of the cops, and the cops just brushing him off, both in the past and the present. It was just a lot deeper, and a lot more intellectual overall. There were ambiguities too, you could look at the show as both a legit cosmic horror or as a realistic crime drama, and it worked just as well either way.

Stranger Things just isn't comparable. And it's not because they're two different genres of show. ST just doesn't have that level of mastery when it comes to the writing. It doesn't weave that kind of multi-faceted, complex tapestry of themes and characters and ideas. TD deserves it's ciritical praise, ST, not so much.

Here he is.

I liked it. It was something to watch. I'm not going to call it the greatest show since the wire or any bullshit like that

they did get some impressive child actors though

I thought Rick and Morty was Reddit?

WHICH IS IT Sup Forums?

Essential Redditkino

Community
Rick and Morty
Mr. Robot
Jane the Virgin
Doctor Who
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
Difficult People

They definitely should have found a way to end it in the first season. Like i understand that one season of a show on netflix isnt going to generate a whole lot of money, but there is no way it will be able to maintain the same quality in the next season (like you said, even this season started to get shitty)

Add Sherlock, Trailer Park Boys, and Fargo

Fargo is not reddit,fuck you

>impressive child actors
Agreed. As soon as i saw them all playing dragons dungeon i was thinking about just shutting it off. But the kids were good and the dialogue actually sounded like something kids would say.

Why are they doing a second season again? Seemed pretty tied up to me. They should just make the show an anthology like American Horror Story (and actually do it well).

Spoiler alert: I don't pay for anything.

I personally actually like good movies and TV. I'll watch shite like capeflicks from time to time when I'm hungover and don't feel like thinking too hard. Of course, if the content of Sup Forums's front page is anything to go by, you people do nothing but watch this stuff. That's like eating Burger King for dinner every day. Doesn't matter if you're aware of the fact you're not eating good food, you're still eating this crap all the time and you won't fucking shut up about it either. You're a pleb.

what's the premise?

I think you mean

>(Life Is Strange)er Things.

>for me the main reason they were so forgiving is because they needed to know where eleven was, that's why the government spared hopper at first.
I don't think they were aware of his involvement with 11 back then. I suppose if they bugged him, then they suspected someone tipped him off and tried to follow that trail, which I guess makes sense. Somehow they forgot to monitor him and his trips to Joyce though.

ST has underlying themes as well. I've explained this in another thread but in short, our characters are kids at transitional stages in their life, and adults for whom the life has already been settled. The monster, the government - they're things outside the control of the characters. They embody uncertainty and the unknown that they have to face as they grow up (for the kids) and past mistakes that haunt them (for the adults). Hopper is haunted by the death of his daughter and sees the rescue of Will is some sort of atonement. Joyce made bad life decisions but tries to make up for it by being a loving mom - except then her son is snatched which denies her a reason to exist. The monster may also be a fear of her kids growing up and leaving her alone. For Nancy the monster is the thought that she's going to finish school and then life ends. She wants to avoid the fate of all upper middle class small town girls but falls right into it. She's introduced saying how she needs to study for chemistry so she can get the good grades and go to college but she clearly has no idea if that's the correct decision. For the kids it's puberty and all that follows. They've known each other for so long but now they're growing up and tensions rise, embodied by Lucas deserting Mike because Mike was starting to care for the girl more than for the group. Their monster is their tight knit group falling apart.

p1

Fargo is good though faggot

>shit gaijin ripoff of boku inai machi

This semen slurping series isn't for me

kid is trans, he comes out and his world flips upside down.

p2

They end up defeating their monsters. Hopper saves the kid. Joyce gets her child back (John had a new jacket on - maybe they're better off now somehow and he can finally go to college). Nancy embraces her future with the rich jock, who turned out to be ok, so maybe she can have a loving relationship after school after all. The kids are tighter than ever and will continue to be, in part due to the things they went through together.

As for TD, I think it was extremely superficial. Namedropping closed timelike loops or string theory doesn't make your show smart. For the most part, its supernatural and science stuff just gave it an air of intellectualism, without any substance. At the end of the day it boiled down to a buddy cop show where the good guys got the bad guy at the end. It was all smoke and mirrors. The show succeeded because it was executed extremely well and hand engaging performances, not because it used complicated words.
ST is not as well written, absolutely. But they're similar in the sense that they're carried by execution and character performances.

Because then you would watch them all the way through and talk about how great they are. Your existence is self-inflicted suffering. Enjoy.

this

It's an interesting idea that the 'real' monster, in the case of the characters, is actually their internal struggles. But I think that's all it is really, just an interesting idea. I'd like to see some actual evidence from the show (be it a screenshot or a line of dialogue) that directly links the government, the monster, all the great evils on the show with the inner demons of the characters. Because I don't think there is anything like that, even if the writers intented it, it certainly didn't come across while watching it.

TD on the other hand, while you say that the intellectual references were just superficial, I already explain why they're not. I already brought up the idea of eternal recurrance and the theoretical physics that's entwined with it. Time is a flat circle. Everything that's happened, will happen again. And in the world of TD, it actually DOES. I gave my evidence: Hart's infidelities, the 'true' murderer slipping out from under the noses of the police. Another one I'm thinking of is the first time we hear the idea of everything happening again, Hart and Chole have tracked down Reggie Ledoux and he says to them 'everything that's happened will happen again, you're here with me now in Carcosa'. And then, it does happen again. They realise Reggie wasn't the 'true' killer, they need to go through the investigative process all over again and final track down the true killer and put and end to him just like they did Reggie. And they do it in Carcosa.

Funny you should point the finger at TD's references and call them superficial when that's the perfect way to describe ST's references. Now, I love the attention to detail, the posters, the books in the background, the cinematography aping scenes in old movies. But ultimately, it just comes down to saying 'check out our influences guys!' and that's it.

I get the impression you don't comprehend the depth of TD's writing if you think it's intellectual elements are superficial.

So uh... what do "you guys" like then? Nothing? Oh okay.

>I get the impression you don't comprehend the depth of TD's writing if you think it's intellectual elements are superficial.
no I just think it's smoke and mirrors to give more apparent depth to a straightforward story and generate buzz among audience who may not be intimate with things they mention. The mumbojumbo was the icing on the cake that made the show good, but the underlying core was just a good execution of a detective story featuring two guys who are, by all accounts, piece of shit that go on to solve a child rape case. They could have ignored all the mythology and it would still be a decent popular show.

>Because I don't think there is anything like that, even if the writers intented it, it certainly didn't come across while watching it.
you can't accuse me of not getting something and doing the exact same thing for a different show kek
I think it was an obvious parallel, but not of ST, but horror stories featuring kids in general. If anything, "It" was a better example of it.
If you ever did literature assignments in high school you probably analyzed prose passages or poetry and alot of the time (especially for poetry) it made no fucking sense when your teacher tried to convince you something was supposed to be a metaphor for some other shit. But it made sense to them, just like this makes sense to me.
> I'd like to see some actual evidence from the show (be it a screenshot or a line of dialogue)
I don't even know what to say to that. The point of metaphors is that they are understood, not explained.
If I could, I would get in touch with the authors of the show and ask them if my interpretation was correct. I also have a sneaking suspicion that someone from the chain of command goes on Sup Forums and reads these threads.

Literally (R)eddit: The Post

>Difficult People
Hey fuck you from that one guy here who likes that show.

>show is unpopular and underground, the hipsters on Sup Forums love it
>show becomes popular, and Sup Forums suddenly decides "Oh no, we have to hate it now that the normies like it. You can't like that show, it's a Reddit show. You have bad taste if you watch this show, it's nothing more than a cuck meme show"
This is the worst discussion board on Sup Forums

Pic related

Steve is Reddit
Johnathan is Sup Forums

We know the right guy won

Don't worry buddy I think you are 100% correct

You're posting on Sup Forums, so yes.

It is definitely Reddit. But is it a good show? Nah nigga not really, it gets old pretty quick, but some of the ideas are pretty dope even though poorly explained and executed.

Like what the hell is up with the lights and how exactly did Will use them to communicate with the real dimension?
Or what about the fact that nobody in town cares about Will being brought back to life even though they buried that nigga.
Why was Will even kept alive in the other dimension and for what purpose, like why would the monster not kill him after capturing him? I know motherfucker was good at hiding or whatever but that big bitch was caught after and was shown dead before him.
If 11 opened the portal to the other dimension, how come portals open up sporadically all the time, you know like that time Nancy gets sucked into the tree? I guess the monster must be able to open portals too and shit but then how come nobody has seen the monster before the events of the show? Was 11's escape from the lab really that consequential to everything?

Anyway I could bring up more stuff that I thought was inconsistent or poorly done, but what it all comes down to is I don't see them capable of making a second season with the material that they have. It aint that good. The cop character, chief Hopper (?), he was good.