I can't into rap. I don't know what about it that doesn't click with me...

I can't into rap. I don't know what about it that doesn't click with me. I'm trying to be as open minded as possible about music, but rap music doesn't work for. Any tips or album I should give a listen to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jbUl2F-LMzM
youtube.com/watch?v=ayfv0SOjvRs
youtube.com/watch?v=9pzPiwNys08
youtube.com/watch?v=1fEnTj2GNlU
youtube.com/watch?v=2D7sApxBNio
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

illmatic

what sort of rap have you been listening to thus far user?

Why do you need to get into it? occupational?

I've been trying to get into Kendrick Lamar, Kanye, Friddie Gibbs, Joey badasd and school boy q

I just want to be more open minded with music and I feel like I can't truly appreciate music unless I can appreciate rap.

fair enough, that's actually a pretty solid start given how much trash is in the rap game this generation.

perhaps it doesn't work for you because you feel like you can't relate to their works? I don't know. I mean, some older artists on similar wavelengths would be mos def, curren$y, q-tip.. speaking of q, give A Tribe Called Quest a listen, listen to the album midnight marauders...

on the flip side, you could also give trap a try and fuck with Gucci Mane (Trap God, Trap God 2, Traphouse 3) or some MF Doom, who I can't really categorize. On a similar wavelength as DOOM, you might wanna mess with Earl Sweatshirt and Quasimoto.

Try listening to the jazz rap side of things. Always an emphasis on intelligence/conscious themes within the lyricism with dope ass production mixing jazz / bossa nova / soul.

youtube.com/watch?v=jbUl2F-LMzM
youtube.com/watch?v=ayfv0SOjvRs

theres nothing wrong with not listening to rap

Giving mf doom a listen and I'm enjoying it. Currently listening to madvillainy

great choice! if you ever wanna hear some dope instrumental work, look up madlib, the producer that DOOM worked with for that project

I've heard of madlib before. I'm down for any instrumental. Any other artist I should give a listen?

j dilla is a fantastic producer too

Paavoharju
youtube.com/watch?v=9pzPiwNys08
Unfortunately it's in Finnish

Try this

youtube.com/watch?v=1fEnTj2GNlU

be black

The first album to do it for me was Wu-Tang's 36 Chambers. Give that a go.

That stuff is pretty dark and therefore not as accessable, you should check out some more positive stuff like knxwledge or J Dilla, learn an appreciation for the instrumentation and how the rhthym of the rapper adds to it.

Also check out freestyle fellowship, if for any other reason than holy shit

youtube.com/watch?v=2D7sApxBNio

Try Chief Keef - Bang 2 or Back From The Dead 2

Uyama hiroto
Flying lotus
Samiyam
Hudson mohawke

congratulations on your good taste

MF DOOM - MM...FOOD
should click

This. DOOM is a pretty good way to get into rap, especially MM.. FOOD. Really most of the Stone's Throw gang like Dilla, Madlib, Quasimoto, etc.

Try out A Tribe Called Quest's Low End Theory or maybe Q-Tip's solo project, The Renaissance.

You're not missing out on anything meaningful or worthwile really.

You can also check stuff like:

Nujabes - Modal Soul
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - The Main Ingredient
Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo and Youth
Digable Planets - Reachin'

These are pretty accessible and generally jazzy.

Beastie Boys- Paul's Boutique
Goodie Mob- Soul Food
UGK- Ridin Dirty
Atmosphere- God Loves Ugly
Little Brother- Chittlin Circuit
OutKast- Stankonia
Nas- I'll magic
Notorious BIG- Ready to Die
Nelly- Country Grammar
Jay Z- The Black Album
Eminem- Marshall Mathers
J Dilla- Donuts
Nappy Roots- Watermelon, Chicken, and Grits
Cunninlynguists- Dirty Acres
Snoop Dogg- Doggy Style
Masta Ace- A Long Hot Summer
Common- Like Water For Chocolate
Mos Def- Black on Both Sides
Bone Thugs- Creepin on ah Come Up
Madvillain- Madvillainy
Madlib- Shades of Blue
Kno- Bones
MF Doom- Mmm Food
Slum Villiage- Fantastic Vol. 2
Dr. Dre- The Chronic

Have fun. Try these. I tried to keep it diverse.

It's your life, OP. You don't NEED to enjoy any particular musical genre. Music is just a product of its time anyway. Decades ago, Jazz and early Rock-n-Roll were seen as the edgiest music. Now those genres aren't relevant anymore, and kids these days only want hip-hop. What's cool now won't be cool in 15-20 years. Just listen to whatever you want.