Just saw the new Godzilla (I live in Osaka).AMA

Just saw the new Godzilla (I live in Osaka).AMA

Are you Japanese or a Westerner?
What's your favorite scene in the movie?
Which do you prefer as a movie, Shin or 2014?

Did the human parts of the film bore you or are they decent?

How many action scenes are in the film? Could you describe each one?

I'm western, English to be exact.
My favourite scene was the first air strike on Godzilla, when they started seeing its full capabilities.
I probably preferred this one because it was much smarter and the scenes featuring Godzilla actually focused on Godzilla more and didn't force him into the background as much

Is Godzilla more like a demon in this film than a atomic lizard?

The old Godzilla films had him look like he came from this earth atleast, but this times he looks like an unholy abomination and i really like it

I saw it too user.
2014 version was an action flick. This one is a film. I'll go as far as call it Kaijukino.

I like the design too, but I'd prefer it if they didn't keep going for this direction in future installments

Does it lead into a sequel?

To be honest, this movie is Shin Godzilla, or how the Japanese government fucked up its response to the 2011 Tsunami. It's probably the most allegorical film since the 1954 probably more so. My Japanese is OK but even so I got lost in some of the scenes which, from what I gather, even native speakers do. It's fairly dense dialogue and not always interesting. Their is literally no view of Godzilla from a civilian viewpoint, it's all from the government side.

I'd say there are four main action scenes; the first is where the beginning form of Godzilla is crawling through Tokyo, crushing boats and then cars (some dodgy CGi) before it starts to mutate into it's full form. Then they are two scenes were the government try to attack it with their military force which are your standard "nothing works!" stuff (the second of these is when Godzilla reveals its full force) and then the last scene when they utilize the plan to kill it. This Godzilla basically has finite energy so, between action scenes, it is laying dormant and re-energizing

Which film do you prefer? Who did it better? Honda or Anno?

Not at all, it works perfectly as a standalone film, and frankly, a sequel would ruin its storyline and everything the characters fought for.

So you think Anno will leave pic related up to each viewer's imagination?

Yes, I've seen all 30 of the previous films (US and Japanese) and this is by far the most demonic version, at least in it's final form. The initial form which comes out of the water looks a little stupid (it has huge eyes, but it does bleed out of it's gills which is very cool) but the final form is the most evil looking, almost body-horror Godzilla you can imagine. It really is a re-imagining rather than a remake.

SPOILER - Basically the japanese only just convince the US not to drop a nuke on it before they come up with their own plan to stop it. When the plan works, the film ends with them saying "If it comes back we'll drop the bomb without even asking you", which I guess could hint at a sequel. They don't strictly kill Godzilla so it's open ended enough (and given the box office it's making, there will be a sequel) but it works well as a stand alone movie.

I prefer the original as it has much more Godzilla and much less boardroom discussion scenes, though they are films critiquing different things and have different aims. Also, I grew up with the 1950s-70s movies, so I'm very biased.

Shin felt like an updated version of '54, made for the audience who experienced the 2011 earthquake.

I gotta say I prefer Shin, the first one is from 60 fucking years ago and feels outdated when you're used to modern day blockbusters.
I've seen Shin twice in theaters and can't get enough of it.

It's pretty obvious what that is. The general consensus among Japanese fans is that it's Godzilla's 5th form. It's telling us what would have happened if Godzilla wasn't defeated in time. I don't think that scene is sequel bait.

LINK YOU FUCKER

So you'll probably enjoy Shin Godzilla if you like Gojira/KOTM (it is my favorite movie)? And I also love NGE.

Shin Godzilla is basically what if Angels attacked Earth but we had no Evas to fight them?: the movie

I feel like Gojira and Shin are very different films, as the original film takes much more time to humanise the characters and is slightly moe melodramatic (in a good sense) than the new one, which is much more overtly political. Gojira is a Godzilla film with the master as the allegory, Shin is a disaster film where the humans are the allegory, and the disaster happens to be a 118 ft monster.

*monster, not master.

Interesting. Anno initially rejected Toho's offer, feeling he was incapable of producing something that matched or surpassed Gojira. Later he had a change of heart when he realized the only way he could make his own movie was to essentially do the same thing Honda did. He modeled his film after Gojira, so I've been wondering how much of that influence would come through.

It's not a scene-to-scene copy like The Force Awakens, I can tell you that.

Unless you speak Japanese, it's a complete waste of time watching it. The action scenes total up to less than 10 minutes - Godzilla is in it less than Joker is in Suicide Squad.

What the fuck is that?

> It's not a scene-to-scene copy like The Force Awakens
Perfect. Just what I wanted.

Lies. Godzilla was in it for at least 20 minutes

Literally the last cut in the entire movie where the camera shows the tip of Godzilla's tail.

But was he preparing to reproduce via budding or something? What the hell?

T O R R E N T W H E N ! ?
O
R
R
E
N
T

W
H
E
N
!
?

I think that's exactly what he was preparing to do, but the humans were able to stop him before he could do it.

That's a fucking scary thought. Especially with how spooky they look there.

I thought it was implying that he was absorbing humans into his mass

Did the audience act like in those TV shows? That canned sounding kind of bullshit?

How would you rate the movie user?
I saw it too and I give it 9.5/10.

What audience do you mean? The audience I watched the movie with?

I'd probably give it a 7/10

Found this on a reddit page while trying to figure out what the hell was supposed to be going on there, but several people seem to think they were human corpses either fused to or protruding from the tail.

>-at the end, what you see on his tail are human corpses. It is unclear whether those are just people that died in his rampage and got stuck to his tail, or if the movie is implying that Godzilla is somehow made of corpses.

>The humanoid figures in Godzilla's tail have been mulled over a lot online. There's been some speculation that Godzilla was attempting to "recreate mankind in his own image" as some of the figures (supposedly?) had Godzilla-like features such as Goji-spines coming out of their backs.

>I thought it looked like a few baby/skeletons were starting to grow on the tail!

I'm curious as to how you would rate other Godzilla movies, say, 1954 and 2014? Could you tell me that?

I personally work on a scale of 5 being average, 6 above average, 7 good, 8 very good, 9 excellent, 10 exceptional.

I'd give Godzilla 2014 a 4/10 and Godzilla 1954 an 8.5/10

It's never mentioned or depicted that Godzilla absorbs humans or any other life forms. They just say that Godzilla is rapidly evolving. You can also deduce that Godzilla evolves in order to counter something that is attacking him, so he might have thought that humans are based as fuck and decided to evolve into them.

Wow. You're the first Westerner I've encountered on Sup Forums that rates Shin higher than 2014.

I saw it too and it was fucking shit. If you think otherwise you should seriously consider suicide

What's your favourite Godzilla movie aside from this one?

Was the movie worth Anno putting Rebuild 4 on hold?

I didn't like 2014 very much. I haven't rewatched it since my original viewing though so my i rial disappointment is probably tainting my score. Additionally, unless someone understands Japanese society/politics and can speak Japanese well I really wouldn't put much faith in their view on the movie as they won't understand what it's trying to say.

My patrician side like the Godzilla '54, Godzilla '85 and vs Hedorah best, but the one I by far enjoy the most is Destroy All Monsters.

I don't have any interest in anime personally, so I can't really say his delaying rebuild 4 was worth it or not as I will never watch it so it doesn't affect me.

Otakus in Japan are telling Anno to stick to directing Godzilla and dump Evangelion altogether

Did you feel that Shin Goji is a big guy for you?
Was there any depiction of civilians in the wreckage?
Did Godzilla crash any planes with no survivors?
Did anyone wear a mask?
Was there a scientist figure like Dr. Pavel?

>he was a very big guy
>there was a close up of a guy's legs sticking out underneath the rubble
>he crashed many planes and no one survived
>the pilots wore masks
>yes there were many scientists and they got to bring friends.

私は好きにした
君たちも好きにしろ

>ous 08/11/16(Thu)16:48:58 No.73063557▶
>File: Spoiler

As someone who has lived in Japan for the past 5 years and is also fluent in the language I can tell you are full of shit/ a hopeless weeb.

The production values were better than most Japanese films but thats not really saying anything.

The acting was hilariously bad/non-existent. But again not surprising as they are Japanese 'actors'

Music was rehashed and did not fit scenes at all.

As for

>Muh society and politics

Nothing more or less than hamfisted nationalism and pandering towards the average Japanese who is politically and culturally ignorant of everything outside of Japan, often inside as well.

TLDR: people defend this movie weeb shills or Japanese with poor film taste (most of them)

Firstly I've lived in Japan longer than you, though this isn't some pissing contest. Plus I'm in no way a weeb.
Second I made no reference to the films production values, acting or music so I don't know where that's coming from.
Third, I didn't say anything about whether I agreed with the politics or societal commentary in the film. I just said it was a key part of what the film was trying to say - hamfisted or not.

Still if you want to be a cry more but hurt fag over things that I didn't say, go ahead. I think it's more successful at trying to be the movie it's trying to be than the 2014 version was.

Dr. Maki, I'm JSDF

When people say the CG in the first attack is bad, how bad?

Feels good.

You've been told lies, user. CG's all top-tier except for one scene where Godzilla "evolves".

お前はゲイボーイだよ。

I live in Tohoku. Country Japan > City Japan

>ゲイボーイ

自己紹介乙!

are there any qts in this kino

Why is Anno such an edgy piece of shit

Yes. There's this scientist girl who talks like Ayanami. My new waifu.
Haven't fapped to her though and probably never will since I don't use movies I really liked as fap material. I feel it taints my love for the movie.