As a physician I felt the need to clear something up regarding self reported mental health on Sup Forums...

As a physician I felt the need to clear something up regarding self reported mental health on Sup Forums. For those of you claiming to have depression or anxiety, please be sure to explain what you mean by these things in detail. Everyone has anxiety (aka a normal, evolved response to stress) as well as depressed mood from time to time.

I understand when you use these terms you mean to say your levels of these feelings are higher than the average person. However, unless you have been diagnosed with an anxiety DISORDER or major depressive DISORDER, you are doing nothing else than making a meaningless statement.

Please respect people who actually have mental disorders by understanding what a mental disorder actually is; a deviance from normal cognition that leads to maladaptive behaviors and/or distress.

Also answering any medical questions. My specialty it psychiatry.

I have depression in that when I come here I see the depths of human evil and a little bit of me is destroyed until I'm just an ideologue for dogmatic hatred based on nothing but the emptiness of my conscience.

How do i let go of all my anger and apathy?

Apathy being the major one.

I work full time, commute alot, dont do as much anymore or have much of a social life anymore.

Well you obviously like coming here for some reasons. If it truly causes you depression maybe consider a different image board.

how many autists in this thread docanon?

It's not real depression just apathy and further justification for militarized depopulation.

I've been burnt out (diagnosed) got the all clear 3 years ago, but I still have such a lack of energy. What should I do to be able to.comeback and be normal?

pic related? Do you take advantage of hot young gullible women you walk into your office?

Apathy is usually associated with heavy routine. Not that routine is a bad thing, it's obviously good for a lot of reasons. However, little changes to the routine can help you potentially rediscover purpose.

Think about this, if you could do anything, be anything, have anything, etc. what is it you want? What actually makes you feel fulfilled more than anything?

Think about that and make a goal associated with small steps to achieving said goal. As for medicine I have never given a prescription for apathy, usually I just talk with these clients and help them develop themselves.

Most of my clients are >50 and dealing with age related issues associated with mental health

That being said I've had a handful of hot young things walk into my office but I'm a professional outside of my own head.

U don't 11 no me

>medicine
No thank you man, i wont even take the pain meds i was given for my fucked up back.
Yeah i prob should change up my routine.
Apathy hit me hard and i lost alot of motivation when it came down to hobbies.
I used to enjoy working on cars but my last project burnt me out and i havent had any interest in working on cars these past 6 months.

Any advice on channeling my anger into motivation?

Is wanting to kill yourself everyday considered a disorder?
How about hating your life so much you fail to see the "good things in life"?
Feeling like your trapped in an inescapable prison of pain and anguish where seconds feel like hours?
Where the slightest little thing can make you have the biggest anxiety attack and depression?
Having such big trust issues that everyone becomes an enemy even your own family?
And because of all of this you have become a social retard who can talk to no one other than Sup Forums?
Well thats what it's like for most of us on here, If there not considered at least disorders than I don't know what is...
Also bear in mind that these things are not easy to talk about to other people doctors and physicians included that's why most of us haven't been "diagnosed"

Having mechanical skills with cars, something I'll never have the patience for. Keep it up but only when it serves your interests

People get angry because they feel something is out of their control. A lot of anger management is realizing that the only thing actually in your control is you.

To motivate yourself you need a goal. If you have a quality goal you're set. It has to be attainable (I'm not motivated to make ten billion because it's out of reach, so I don't do things to make it happen, but what motivates me is knowing my client base is healthy, or that I have more clients in general, so I'm motivated to read up on new phenomenon in psychiatry). If I were you I'd write down what you really want, then make small steps and go and do step #1.

I'm a boxer and have a fight coming up. Why do people become fighters? What are some good insults to use to get into my opponents head? Thanks for your time doc.

What classifies a disorder depends on the disorder. Major depressive disorder can't be diagnosed without 3 months experience of a certain number of a handful of symptoms. Thoughts of suicide for instance would be one of many symptoms, and you need a number of symptoms.

Many of the symptoms you listed are characteristic of other disorders such as social anxiety disorder or borderline personality disorder. All are very distinct. Getting diagnosed is important so you can know what steps to take to combating a mental disorder.

Doctor > Psychiatry LOL gtfo and suck big pharma's cock elsewhere shill

I can't answer why people choose to play a sport that's too broad a question.

I know a good insult a friend used once however to win a fight it was "you so bad"

I was diagnosed with clinical depression a year after I was severely mauled by a great Dane and it never really bothered me until then about people claiming to have depression because it's an every day constant struggle in your mind to force yourself to do basic tasks such as eating or drinking water all I wanted to do was sleep and I even just stopped going to school because I didn't get the help I needed

Idk why psychiatrists being pill pushers has become a meme. Part of my residency was training to recognize drug seeking behavior and to never prescribe a drug before attempting cognitive therapy.

Moreover, as a personal and professional principle I never prescribe some select drugs (Xanax and most pain killers)

This user understands. I hope all is well and are you still in treatment?

>Major depressive disorder can't be diagnosed without 3 months experience
100% not true, suicidality jumpstarts a diagnosis right away

Have you ever thought that people know their sensations better than you can believe? Also why do people have to prove themselves to you? Also also, suck a dick, you glorious winged faggot.

MDD+Anxiety+Anger

Technically speaking it's 2 consistent weeks of 5 out of 9 characteristic symptoms of depression. Thoughts of suicide are only one of these 9 symptoms.

We say 3 months because you cannot truly evaluate a patient over 2 weeks and self report is useless. So we need 3 months to evaluate over the course of treatment (i.e. 6 visits)

You're wrong, go read the DSM

>some peoples feelings are real-er than others'

your a goddamn nerd. go eat your entitlement banana for expecting trigger warnings on words you prick. the DSM is a crock of shit bible for a religion of loonies. oh big important Depression Victim was brave enough to let (((western medicine))) categorize and sedate you, wow better not use the word anxiety in normal conversation. faggot

Chekked
You suffer from Major Clinical Faggotry.

Obviously I was asked a more intelligent version of your question in my 12 years of post public schooling.

It's not a question of proving something to me, but proving something in general. When I have a new client all I can go off of is my experience as well as the experience of my most notable colleagues with published research in the field.

Good for you that you're diagnosed with a mood disorder as well as two normal responses to stress.

To which goddamn nerd are you referring to? What about my goddamn nerd?

About five years ago I was diagnosed with ADHD, generalized anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder, and panic disorder.

It's cool, I get a whole bunch of amphetamines that I never end up taking, a whole bunch of benzodiazepines that I never end up taking, and I get a whole bunch of painkillers for another issue that I also don't end up taking.

Life is decent, I'm a chemical engineer and I'm engaged to a physician.

How do you feel about your field of medicine being a joke?