Stranger Things - Verdict

Kinda late to the party on this one, saw a lot of mixed feelings about it, but since the whole thing has calmed down can we discuss it civilly?

Other urls found in this thread:

silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Otherworld
youtu.be/9QzVjYlAkcg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it was shit

Pretty comfy overall. Some bad-ish child acting, pretty cliched G-man baddy and monster, but I liked the overall coming together of the conspiracy theory and the atmosphere. Music was top notch.

>Dubs
Confirmed for best show

Nigga, literally all of the children cast were perfect in this

I enjoyed it.

Nothing groundbreaking, and like said the G-man baddy was handled a bit poorly.

All in all a good show.

The nigga had weak moment and Eleven was instantly forgotten but yeah best child cast since the wire

Music top notch

However the interest drop mid series

Not bad for a netflix though

I have low cringe tolerance, so the D&D parts were excruciating - although that was mostly bad writing. There were other moments when the kids were just stilted. But I guess that's inevitable with child actors.

I thought it was great and my opinions are always spot-on.

RIP Waifu

>waifuing a character with 3 minutes of screen time

You deserve your fate

The D&D parts were pretty bad.

I get that they made some compromises for "cinematic effect" but they were still mildly annoying.

honeslty what a fuckign useless subplot
there are probably so many better ways to get shield-face cutie interested in the mystery

and it was such an insulting end "shes gone, shes gone!" you take the time to establish this character and that she is a good friend and wants the best for shield-face but then gets killed by the monster whereas little kid has been there for way longer and the monster doesn't do shit (oh he impregnated him! well i guess we'll wait until season 2)

Further...

Was barb being dead the only thing that the kiddie-pool thing established? I mean they wanted to break into the under-world to try and get the kid back anyways, what did fucking up el with the pool accomplish really?

You're retarded. It simulated the isolation tank. It didn't have anything to do with the pool.

I get that. Must have mis-worded it.

What did the isolation pool accomplish besides seeing that barb was dead?

THICCER

fuck i had a question about this show...

i remember now...so did the dermagogon stole will in the first ep?

if so, how come? i mean the dermagon wasnt strong enough at that point right? there was no blood...

When did they ever say the demogorgon was weak at the start?
Also I'm guessing Will either cut himself or he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time while it was escaping.

I loved it.

The D&D parts were great!

Lessons of teamwork, problem solving and loyalty from D&D was great. It was the first show to show the up-sides of a great hobby than just "lol nerdy".

The show was full of characters with depth, giving you people to care about, giving the actions and consequences weight. It did a terrific job of giving us little hints that payed off into bigger stuff later.

As a kind who group up in a broken home with a shit father in the '80s, this really got painful to watch at time, but the story and everything was so well crafted it kept me going and I'm glad it did.

In a world with so much shit TV, this show was so well crafted and executed, I was really impressed.

Finding out the boy was actually alive and that he was hiding near his house in the otherworld.

Yeah, he'd been moved by the time they got there, but knowing he was alive, at least for a short time longer was pretty important.

who is this aimed for? 15 yearolds who pretend to like 80s movies?
it seemed half baked to me.

For what it is; a nostalgia baiting accessible production masquerading as the pet project of some qt3.14 nerdlingers who love all things corny and conventional that might be considered tasteful and artistic by a pleb-lite.

Yeah it was fun. Would watch season 2.

I suppose on one hand it is for kids who are unaware of the good films that this so blatantly copies, such as E.T., Goonies, Stand By Me, IT, and so on. On the other hand it tries really hard to bait millennials who have a nostalgia boner for the 80s.

Sorry OP. Sup Forums will never be ready for a civil discussion of anything even marginally popular, especially something this current.

You just asked a room full of idiots are they ready to stop being idiots for a moment.
It's not that they won't, they can't.

You might try and sneak it into a more serious thread under the guise of a discussion of popular Sup Forums.

>wahhh they didn't like my favorite mediocre show
>it must be because it is popular and Sup Forums is full idiot contrarians wahhh

Get over yourself.

nailed it

I am old enough to remember watching the original Beatlejuice on VHS, so Winona being in it was the pull for me.

Still I stopped after 2 episodes. Who cares? Why watch this shit that's just formulaic and not that entertaining? I don't even have better things to be doing, I just don't have the need to finish something I know is boring shit

But am I really supposed to believe that they weren't going to break in and try to find him even if they didn't know he was alive?

the entire show is so ill-conceived and poorly written. the whole point of them creating the isolation pool was for El to find Will in the upside-down, even though they pretty much knew he was there and alive. in the grand scheme of things it felt so inconsequential.

again, bad writing. It also makes no sense why the demagorgon didn't just kill him when he captured him like he did with Barb, but instead they have him run around and play hide-and-seek in the upside-down. it's a little hard to believe that Will could outsmart this monster in his own world by "hiding", all the while increasingly becoming weaker (remember the environment is toxic) and going out of hiding to communicate with his mother with a light show whenever he felt like it.

They didn't know they had such a ticking clock.

It is probable and in-character for the four who went out to still do so, but clearly defining that the kid is absolutely going to die soon if they do nothing raises the tension and forces them to act immediately.

Also, like lots of other little bits in the show, it foreshadowed the kid having slugs at the end with dead Barbra.

You're only proving my point.
I didn't like or hate the show. It was meh.
I'm talking equally about those who like it and those who hate it. All of you are retards.
Flinging worthless shit at each other.
Your parents are ashamed of you, you child.

>the entire show is so ill-conceived and poorly written. the whole point of them creating the isolation pool was for El to find Will in the upside-down, even though they pretty much knew he was there and alive. in the grand scheme of things it felt so inconsequential.
Exaclty my point. Will had spoken through the lights and whatnot. Winona was so set on him being alive her character would've gone into the upside down world no matter what. It just didn't make sense, after having insane supernatural proof that her son was alive, to put El through hell just to get an update on his condition.

>They didn't know they had such a ticking clock.
I guess this makes sense. If Barb was killed, then Will could be next. But Will had survived a long time, so I assumed that the monster wasn't killing him on purpose.
But it just pisses me off because we never hear barb talk through lights or whatever the fuck, so we had no real reason to be shocked by her death.
>eveybody else is shitposting!
>post has zero content
be the change you want to see in the Sup Forums

This

I didn't think it was incredibly good but it was highly watchable and I enjoyed it. There are very few TV shows I can actually bear to watch for more than a few minutes, but I watched this whole season and didn't get bored.

I enjoyed it much more than Midnight Special, which was better shot but wasn't very interesting overall.

also shit, i definitly should've spoiler tagged some of this but fuck it

I think everybody would agree with you. The reason its getting so much hate is because it had so much potential.

I thought it was fuckin great.

I am recommending it to everyone I know.

I liked the show but it's not something that i'd watch a second time. The story and mysteries don't hold much depth to make repeated viewings worthwhile.

It seems that I am in a minority here but I actually hated the kid actors, though Dustin does have his moments. Actually all of the characters and the actors playing them were pretty terrible, save for a few like Benny, and Hopper.

Although it didn't really bother me that everything was so cliched and predictable, I find it kind of disheartening that something so shameless is celebrated by modern audiences. I guess originality and innovation don't matter when all you have to do is pander to make a successful show.

>I guess this makes sense. If Barb was killed, then Will could be next. But Will had survived a long time, so I assumed that the monster wasn't killing him on purpose.
>But it just pisses me off because we never hear barb talk through lights or whatever the fuck, so we had no real reason to be shocked by her death.

It was mostly a narrative point to increase the tension.

1. She couldn't detect either at the house and it has been some time since anyone has seen Will blink the lights, are we too late?

2. We do a thing what was interesting and kept the story moving and provided several moment of characterization: Big sister becoming bad-ass, Eleven forming a bond and having a relationship with someone she's never had with Winnona, etc. Characters are both developing and it's getting us to understand and form a closer bond with them.

3. We find out Barb is dead (and foreshadow worms) and find out Will is alive but fading fast.

Tension raised, checked off some good character moments, on to the next scenes.

I totally agree

>copies
more like tributes imho

so what's the theories on what this shit Upside Down world is and how it came to fruition?

There is a lot of nostalgia in there, but that alone doesn't make it good. I can go watch an '80's movie and have nostalgia but it doesn't stop it being a shit movie if it is one.

I honestly didn't know how this would end and who would be still alive at the end of the final episode. If it was really predictable the Sheriff and Winnona would have got together and the older brother and older sister as well. The asshole boyfriend would have been killed and stayed an asshole instead of having a character arc.

There were a lot of bits and pieces you could point to from other things, no question, but it didn't rest on them. It had a story and characters and just used those bits as garnish.

On one hand, there was nothing original in this show really, everything was in some way borrowed from elsewhere. How it put them all together into something well crafted and executed is what makes it good.

>Soundtrack drops tomorrow

Fucking A.

>I find it kind of disheartening that something so shameless is celebrated by modern audiences.
Personally I find the shows that try to be "modern" even more predictable and annoying. I find the Marvel capeshit trend more annoying, which has taken over movies and Netflix.

I'm sure I will get sick of it if every TV show borrows from 1980s pop culture and Stephen King novels

>Hey let me tell you about my tumblr. My pronouns are xer/ze. Check your privilege.

I guess i'm just nitpicking, but it really felt out-of-place and forced to me.

Thanks for the reality check.

No idea, the show provides essentially no information.
But based on the fact that they actually tried to use physics to explain, I wouldn't be surprised if it's something as lame as 'dark matter'.

Also just curious, what did you guys think of the physics explanation of the portal? I study phys in grad school so it was pretty cringe for me, but I want a regular viewers opinon.

>Eleven was instantly forgotten
That's a problem with the writing/direction, not with the acting.

I don't know, but I really liked how stagnant the atmosphere was. It was like you were descending into a large tomb, where you couldn't see the ceiling. Did they copu that from somewhere else?

>mfw the frog looking jew and the black kid were fucking shit and the kid who is supposedly the protagonist, but who we barely see, was even worse still
>mfw these kids had absolutely no range, no nuance and never showed any convincing emotions, even though the gravity of the situations required it
>mfw there are people on Sup Forums right now who will tell me with a straight face this show has the best child acting they've seen in their lives

Sure they are child actors, and child actors are always shit, but you must either be retarded and don't know good acting when you see it, or simply haven't watched that many movies/tv shows.

I enjoyed it a lot but it's super overrated IMO.

I'm interested what they'll do in second season.

anyone else thinks Eleven looked like a boy all the time even while wearing a wig and a dress

I liked the D&D use in explaining it, as the "alternate dimension" ideas are rather old hat for D&D folk.

Honestly, I liked that they didn't properly explain it though, you can put some pieces together from inference and some people throw out vague theories but in the end it isn't explained and doesn't need to be.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

She absolutely looked weird in that dress, so much so I honestly think it was supposed to be an E.T. reference.

damn thats a real nice toque

Barb was shit
Im glad the cool girl had sex, not like the losrr that gets killed

Perfectly ugly maybe. Seriously, where did they find all of those mutant freaks? The entire cast of this show were ugly weirdos including nona who looks like her face is melting.

Child actors were all great. I do agree that the monster was hopelessly generic, and the shitty CG didn't help.

Yeah, Silent Hills Otherworld which is 10x more interesting.

silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Otherworld

>What did the isolation pool accomplish besides seeing that barb was dead?

Finding out boys location.

>the entire show is so ill-conceived and poorly written. the whole point of them creating the isolation pool was for El to find Will in the upside-down, even though they pretty much knew he was there and alive. in the grand scheme of things it felt so inconsequential.

Stop making claims that something is "poorly written" when the problem is on your end, it was obvious and clearly explained that they didnt know exactly where he was other than the general "upside down".

Well maybe if you didnt read what fucking happens you might be interested in finding out by fucking watching it. Must be depressing to not have 7 hours to form you own opinion instead of letting Sup Forums do it for you.

>Americans would rather buy disgusting premade frozen waffles than cook it themselves

Pretty shameful desu

>Nancy doesn't care about Barb after she finds out she died in the upside down

wew
She should've at least said "I miss barb" or something
Did she even cry for her?

T H I C C
H
I
C
C

Maybe it's because it's still fresh in my mind just watching it all this week but this seems a show you enjoy more the more you pay attention to it.

Almost everything that happens in the show is foreshadowed or set up earlier on. Sometimes it is obvious (Demogorgon) other much less so ("Jumping off the cliff into the water in the quarry would kill you").

She seemed to be pretty upset about it but part of her "arc" was her hardening up, learning what was important and was focused on saving Will and killing the monster.

In hindsight, yeah, maybe she could have been more upset, but I don't recall it bothering me at the time.

This was supposed to be represented when she walked out of Will's hospital room, but it was a little late. It was like she suddenly thought "oh that's right my best friend died in some fucked up hell space, we should probably have a funeral or something."

>Will "dies"
>School assembly
>Funeral
>Everyone is losing their shit trying to find him

>Barb dies
>Nobody gives a flying fuck

Barb didn't "die". She ran off.

The fake story was she drove her car to the train or bus station and then ran away on a bus/train leaving her car behind.

With Will they made a fake corpse to show and bury.

What the fuck are you talking about? There were no mixed reactions: Sup Forums overwhelmingly loved this show. We had generals for it for a month.

Is a shitposter who would say the same thing in any thread about any series.

>literally the number 1 most popular tv show on imdb currently
It was a fun watch, but holy shit are people overreacting.

This show is the epitome of "You either love it, or hate it."

No, it isn't.

Most people love it.

Many people like it.

Some people thought it was just okay.

A few people hated it.

It's not a particularly divisive or controversial show. There's nothing offensive or upsetting about it. We've had dozens if not hundreds of threads at this point that were perfectly civil and largely without shitposting.

All you ever see on Sup Forums is people loving it or hating on it. The people from the stg threads (including myself) loved it.

Shes not dead. Shes just one with the upside down now.

Same could be said of any popular show.

You need to realize that Sup Forums is a very small group of people and rarely ever reflects the real world

It involved kids so it's automatically pretty bad. Not sure why people choose to sabotage and hamstring their own stories by writing kids into anything but ancillary roles.

youtu.be/9QzVjYlAkcg

You need to be at least 18 to post here.

Are you pretending to be retarded? Only retards or babies could ever enjoy a show featuring babies as main characters.

Only children would hate a show or movie because it has children in it.
Reported.

I know its bait, but I'm gonna respond anyways just in case people listen to you.

Usually I agree with you, kids ruin shows, however its literally the opposite in this case. The kids were amazing and probably the best part.

I don't hate it, it's just not good. You know nothing too bad is going to happen to kids, which is by no means the only reason it's bad, but it serves as a good example reason if you have any imagination at all.

The fact that it's impossible to make a great show featuring children is especially apparent it you watch it after a perfect show like True Detective or The Leftovers. Children just aren't interesting people, so you can't write them as interesting or nuanced unless you write them as adults, which is stupid in itself. Sorry, if you like anything that has children as main characters you're probably stupid as fuck. Do you watch retard garbage like Jersey Shore too?

>Barb
who?

Mate you are trying too hard, tone it down a bit.

It was good, but I wish they had wrapped up the story here and made the series an anthology.

You're the brain dead entertained by one dimensional characters. Stay mad fatty. Stranger Things was entertaining, it was just an obvious missed opportunity.

Trying to insult me but can't even use proper English? It is honestly pathetic.

What did they mean by this?

>I enjoyed it a lot but it's super overrated IMO.
Pretty much true for every thing Netflix produces it. House of Cards, Daredevil, etc.

Show ruined. Shut down Netflix.

You're a bad person for noticing, caring, and literally everything else related to noticing or caring. You're an especially shitty person for making that picture. Just from this alone I can tell you're a low IQ Sup Forums shitposter.