I just listened to this for the first time

I just listened to this for the first time.

It was.... Different. I'm going to have to give it a few more listens to wrap my head around it and form an opinion.

But in the meantime, what's your opinion of it?

Second half is really good.

>>>/reddit/

i love it

Really high highs, really low lows. Too much stupid bullshit. Could've been 45 minutes and would've been a 9/10.

Also, listen to The Life of Paul, a remix of the whole album that uses a lot of the cut material. It's fucking beautiful.

I think it's tied for Kanye's third best.

Yeezus > MBDTF > TLOP = 808's > LR > CD > GR > WTT

swap lr and mbdtf

I enjoy it better than Yeezus, 808s, and WTT. I really love the sound. The best songs are as good as the best songs on MBDTF but there's too many unnecessary tracks.

I didn't like it the first time either, but I really like it now. There are some bad songs though

Who else thinks that the words "Reddit" and "pleb" should auto delete posts? Than maybe we'd actually have some quality discussion after we filter out the autists.

I've never seen such a terrible ranking.

CD > MBDTF > LR > 808s > Grad > TLOP > Yeezus

Says the guy who puts his magnum opus last

And graduation should ALWAYS be under everything else except WTT & Cruel Summer

switch yeezus with LR and yo got a nice looking list right there.

TLoP is a mess, but that's half the charm. The production is generally incredible and it's an album only Kanye could have made.

Swap 808s with LR and Yeezus with MBDTF and I agree entirely.

I JUST TALKED TO JESUS
HE SAID "WHAT UP YEEZUS"
I SAID "SHIT I'M CHILLIN
TRYNA STACK THESE MILLIONS"

>magnum opus

what the fuck, literally who would put LR last. I get that it's not his most artsy and patrician, but god damn if it's not some of the best production I've ever heard

The whole release fiasco, with multiple versions floating is pretty annoying. The music itself doesn't flow in such a way that makes me like Kanye albums, it felt like a bunch of songs just put together, a mixtape. I understand some people think that's the point, but it's not even done well in that case. Real Friends and No More Parties in LA are some of Kanye's best songs, the rest were pretty low though. It felt like this decades Graduation, which gives me hope for this next Kanye album.

Yep, it would do wonders for this mess of a board.

>Listening to Kanye for lyrics
>Not enjoying his awful lines for what they are

It's raw, exaggerated version of life, full of braggadocio & cocky as fuck while also being laid back about the whole thing.

If you're looking for an old school hip-hop album or something that fits as many polysyllabic rhymes as it can into one song, than you're looking for the wrong thing buddy.

Yeezus is abrasive, full of itself, gives no fucks, occasionally vulnerable (HML), crude & crass.
It is Kanye himself in Musical form.

It's very religious and if that connects with you you'll like it and if you don't you'll think it's mediocre.

Although I disagree with you, this was a good post desu

It's great first listen

A major letdown the listens after

Then you've listened to it so much you realize there must be a reason for that

Then you figure out why it's good

Either way, it goes fast

>Graduation last except for WTT and Cruel Summer.

I disagree. I know it's "too mainstream" for you but it's more consistent than TLOP, LR, and infinitely better than Yeezus and 808s. Every song is excellent except for Drunk and Hot Girls and Barry Bonds. Just a nice silky album with consistent good songs.

Kill yourself faggot.

>It is Kanye himself in Musical form.
Buddy, he's putting on an act for the entire album. At no point is he being "the real Kanye." We know from his previous albums that Kanye is capable of real bars, so him not giving a fuck on this album isn't endearing. I know he's capable of better. Cringy bar after cringy bar and absolutely awkward production that doesn't commit to being experimental and doesn't commit to being accessible.
>Yeezus is abrasive, full of itself, gives no fucks, occasionally vulnerable (HML), crude & crass.
Literally his least real and vulnerable album, least substantial, and least interesting lyrically. He's being crass and obnoxious for the sake of being obnoxious. It's not good just because it's intentional. Find me a song on Yeezus as personal as All Falls Down, Through the Wire, Hey Mama, Saint Pablo, Real Friends, or fucking ANYTHING on 808s.

The best Kanye albums are reflections of where he was in his life. The College Dropout was about him dropping his life and risking everything to become a rapper. 808s was about him dealing with losing his mother and fiance in the same month. MBDTF was about him reflecting on how fucked his life has gotten since he became a celebrity.

Yeezus is Kanye trying his hardest to pioneer a new, abrasive sound that had already been done better by tons of other artists. The lyrics aren't interesting, and you've acknowledged that the only way someone could like them is either by removing their expectations (turning your brain off) or by enjoying them ironically. What's left for you to enjoy if the lyrics aren't good, the production is mediocre and annoyingly simplistic, and his delivery is trying so hard it's cringe worthy?

Most people wouldn't like this album if it wasn't for its context in Kanye's discography. Every other Kanye album stands for itself and can be appreciated for its own merits. But for some reason, Yeezus is only appreciated for being different from other Kanye albums.

Saint Pablo is pure kino. Prove me wrong.

completely agree. Found myself dissapointed with it for the few months after it dropped then realized i had pretty consistently been listening to it the whole time. Whenever i start ULB the whole album just flows and before i know it ive listened to it all

It's such a mess Kanye actually have to patch it over and over again.

lmao Yeezus 1st? I bet you couldnt get into Death Grips and Clipping

>Death Grips and Clipping are hard to get into
C'mon now. No need to act like you're special for liking entry level industrial hip hop kid. Yeezus is a great album.

t. former reddit user

Yeezus and TLOP need to be lower than 808s, but mostly a good list.

Lot of awful lists in here

>Here's the proper rankings in order, top to bottom:

MBDTF
Late Registration = 808s & Heartbreak
Yeezus
College Dropout
The Life of Pablo
Graduation
Watch The Throne
Cruel Summer

>Best Songs (in no order):

Ultralight Beam
Hold My Liquor
Runaway
Street Lights
Roses
No More Parties in LA
Lost in The World

I pretty much agree with this, maybe I would switch LR and Yeezus but other than that this is p much my exact ranking

I really personally don't like 808s nearly as much as most people seem to but I more or less agree with this.

pretty much 100% agreed with your first paragraph

will check out life of paul, thanks

I feel like 808s is underrated at large maybe not among people here

There's just a sincerity to the album that I appreciate, and there's are some downright gorgeous and emphatic production and most of the tunes are genuinely fun to sing along to.

I happen to like:

Street Lights
Paranoid
RoboCop
Bad News
Love Lockdown
Say You Will

Gets better every time I listen to it. It's hard to objectively rank Kanye IMO, he changes his style up each album, almost completely new sounds. You can neither compare it to his other projects or other artists really, Kanye is his own entity within rap

It's not his worst but it's a far cry from his best as well. Too much filler but there are some genuinely great moments. I love the warped beat of Feedback, Freestyle 4 is everything I wanted Yeezus to be but I felt fell short of, I Love Kanye is a brief but fun little freestyle that summarizes Kanye's trajectory as an artist into 45 seconds, and in terms of flat-out good songs there's Ultralight Beam, FML, Real Friends, 30 Hours and No More Parties In LA. When this record is great it's really great but there's too much rough for the diamonds to carry it as an album. Really only an EP's worth of strong material here. And the low lights? Oh man, is there some trash on this one. How anyone can like vapid shit like Waves, Facts or Fade is beyond me, some of his worst material to date.

It's the one I criticize most but also the one I listen to the most by far.

Swap Grad and WTT with Pablo and I'll agree with it

I've loved everything Kanye had released up until now. Something about Pablo rubs me the wrong way. I hate Chance and the new wave of gospel rap. A lot of the features are shit and there's a weird EDMy trap influence

It felt like Kanye's most normie album, and that's a disappointment because I thought Yeezus was starting a trend

>It felt like Kanye's most normie album

I'd say that was Graduation personally. TLOP is a close second but it's too fractured and inconsistent to take that away from the polished pop of Graduation.

By normie I don't mean pop, I mean partyish.

I know several fratbros at my uni who were quoting TLOP a few weeks after it came out. That type of shit. And they all hated Yeezus and 808s which are miles better

Extremely uneven and honestly rather dull. There was a gift in here that needed stronger writing to save it.

3/10

Ah. I can see that, I guess. Disagree on Yeezus, though. Personally though that record was a disaster. I've adored 808's since its release, though.

Regardless of what you think about it both records are undeniable, distilled kanye

What is Pablo, other than an event for a group of socialites to jerk each other off? Half of the record isn't even Kanye. I get he's a collaborator at heart but this is so bland and boring

It's also gonna age like shit, I think. Like how we look at Graduation right now? Pablo's gonna hit the wall in a few years when this era ends

Those are all rather agreeable statements. I may not like Yeezus much but I at least give it credit for Kanye attempting to push his own boundaries. TLOP sounds not only trendier but perhaps even a bit regressive compared to that album's ambitions. I do ultimately find more to like in TLOP but 8 songs out of some 20 or so compared to 3 out of 10 songs, it's not like either has the best average hit/miss ratio, you know? I still think his first 5 were pretty on point. I'm a bit harsh on Graduation but I still see it as a competent pop record. These last couple have just been really inconsistent for me.

I notice patterns in kanye's discography. He'll come out with an "era" of an album or albums and then retreat into seclusion (ex. the Hawaii lodge) and then come out with a brilliant release and start a new era

MBDTF was really strong, but it was the advent of celebrity kanye. It's gotten really old on TLOP, and he's retreated into a secluded cabin in Wyoming, so hopefully he'll reinvent himself

>"lmao bruh your rankings are shit"
>CD ranked first
>"soul kanye is best kanye!"

Hopefully. I thought he wore the manic depressive angle out on Yeezus and TLOP was still more of the same. He needs a new angle at this point, it just sounds like he's been repackaging the spirit of MBDTF and trying to come across as more unhinged than the last attempt. I think MBDTF was lighting in a bottle in that the record really shouldn't have worked as well as it did, it constantly feels like it's about to fall apart but never does. These last two try to one-up that drama and for me, they fall apart for it.

It's uneven and it's got problems, but honestly I think that just endears the album more to me. A lot of Kanye's stuff is a little "too perfect" for me you know? I love the raw chaotic feel of this album. It takes the whole Kanye myth image of "genius on the edge of madness/nervous breakdown" and almost makes me believe in it

That much is true about TLOP - for better or worse Kanye really does sound like he's about to self-destruct on it, and if he's playing up a caricature with the Twitter drama then man, is he committed to the act.

808s > Grad > MBDTF > CD > Yeezus > LR > TLOP

So what are your guys favorite kanye shoes

I like the red octobers

>Someone actually tries to have a discussion about music
>Calls him reddit
This board gets worse everyday

truuuuuuuuuuuuuu

there's a difference between meme-y and normey

dont know why you have No More Parties on your song list, but everything else on that list is pretty spot on lol! Even if it;s kinda basic, the power of Street Lights is undeniable. I heard that song last Fall, when i was living in a rainy gray cold lonely Europe, and it fit so perfect.

Otherwise i'd swap College Dropout with Watch the Throne

>Someone actually tries to have a discussion about music
>about music
(c)rap is not music.

I remember when I was 13 too

>The production is generally incredible and it's an album only Kanye could have made.

Didn't the album have like 30 producers?

Truly, rap is the thinking man's music.

I immediately disregard someones opinion if they don't put Late Registration either first or second on their tier list

AMA :)

Yeah, you liked rap. Like every 13 year old on the globe.

I never really got into hip-hop/rap and I always find it my least favorite music genre, desu.

And I always hated that foolish ocelot named Kanye West not only because I hated hip-hop/rap, but also because he is a foolish ocelot with an ego the size of a small moon.

fuck off back to redddit, this thread reeks of reddit

newfag

>Implying that line is bad

Sounds like somebody misses the old Kanye

>It was.... Different. I'm going to have to give it a few more listens to wrap my head around it and form an opinion.
You're not listening to an avant-garde classical composition, get over yourself.

Underrated post

>Implying TLOP isn't avant-garde
Name anything that sounds even remotely similar in the history of music. Name something that is composed as any tracks on TLOP is.

not pleb but maybe reddit

And here we have it. The best post on Sup Forums of all time. You all can go home now.

I just don't understand most of the Kanye album rankings here

MBDTF = Yeezus > Late Registration > TLOP = 808s > CD > WTT > Graduation > Cruel Summer

a complex album, masterpiece

It shot for so many directions and he even kept tinkering after release like he was Kubrick or something. But yeah the highs on this are astronomically high.

>Hip hop
>Avant-garde
Sorry, I'm not going to indulge you. I know, I was so bold as to dare criticize music you love.