So, here's the deal. I am making """music""" for about four years now...

So, here's the deal. I am making """music""" for about four years now, made few releases which are either pure garbage or totally unlistenable (pick you own medicine). Lately I been feeling like shit and basically thought of not making music again as I believe I am truly a talentless hack. However the problem I've stumbled upon recently is that if I don't make music then I'm feeling close to suicidal since I have nothing else to do in my life.

What to do Sup Forumsboyz? Outside of kys, fuck yursulf and other shit like that? Should I go on with this crap or should I quit it and, if so, what to do next?

Ask questions if you need more shit info about me.

Pic sort of related

Other urls found in this thread:

epiglottis.bandcamp.com/album/removal
youtube.com/watch?v=bPJpBOWk1Kk
epiglottis.bandcamp.com/album/niezapominajka-very-raw-demo
youtube.com/user/havic5
youtube.com/channel/UCi7l9chXMljpUft67vw78qw/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=GsNDyoGE-2w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

continue to make music, don't have the expectation that it'll ever lead anywhere. even if you weren't shit there's like a 0.001% chance it would turn into a career or anything.

keep going.

You should be glad you can actually make music, even if it's bad. I've been playing guitar and bass for like 15 years and I've only written 2 songs, people tell me they're good but I can't imagine myself creating a whole album

The question is - why? For sake of making art? Even though with each new release you feel like shit more and more?

Also:
>don't have the expectation that it'll ever lead anywhere
That's my no. 1 problem though

I see your point. Although at times I believe that there are people who deserve more grace than me in that regard so, you know

>if I don't make music then I'm feeling close to suicidal since I have nothing else to do in my life.
Stop being so existential about it, if it makes you not feel that way even a little bit it's worth it.

Also it will never lead anywhere if you expect it to, unless you have connections it will only happen organically.

link us to your music
it can't be too terrible

>if I don't make music I feel like killing myself
>why should I keep making music?
Hmm, I wonder.

I fucked up in this same regard OP. I only wanted to play Joe Satriani tier guitar and instead of having my parents buy me a turntable or learning FL like the kids who mysteriously knew what adulthood entailed before entering adulthood I tried to carve out gestalts of crappy Bach translations and Fahey's christmas music and now I'm past the 10,000 hour mark and all I have are friends pretending to be overly-impressed mothers asking, "did you do this??" understanding how weird it is to be good but not good enough.

your human voice will always make your music worth hearing. Too bad only so many musicians will take that cue

I suppose. The fact that I can't feel existential about or having fun with music is the fact that, well, I kinda feel like I should be somewhere else, you know? Not way up here but at least somewhere else. Not in the same place like four years ago. The lack of any progress is kind of ridiculous which makes me wonder at times.

Are you even ready for terrible BC ambient?
epiglottis.bandcamp.com/album/removal
I put this out few months ago so. And it's by far the shortest things I've done (citation needed)

Well, I didn't said that second option is something I don't consider. Even though it makes me healthy that doesn't necessary mean I'm not taking poison. Plus I'm quite afraid of this question coming back again and again.

> crappy Bach translations and Fahey's christmas music
>FL
>pretending friends
I feel you man

Do you like making music? If yes, keep doing it, if not, stop. I'm horrible at making music but that didn't stop me from releasing 12 albums in a single year. Albeit,they were all terrible, but I enjoyed doing it.

That's the problem. I don't really like making as much as I used to but also I hate not making music.

Keep going. It's gonna get better

Υou could try taking a break for some months or more
If you really liked this it will come back to you

That idea would be great. However I've done few "escapes" from music lasting at most to half a year. I even canceled my previous projects and removed everything from BC related to it. I always seems to come back to music in general. But that's working only temporarily for me.

keep doing it, even for yourself. You could even find that one thing which is fun to make and which sounds good too

Like: youtube.com/watch?v=bPJpBOWk1Kk

Hey Jakub
You can also try experimenting with other genres.
The ambient stuff I eard from the BC you posted are not really unlistenable or hard to the ear but ambient can only gather so much interest.

Ayy!
I released something new which is not ambient. Well, okay, it has some ambient elements.
epiglottis.bandcamp.com/album/niezapominajka-very-raw-demo
In regards to ambient being small - I totally agree. But that's the only genre I feel capable of making anything with some sort of freaking backbone behind it. I do suck at string instruments and singing (wink wink, new stuff) and at times I have an crappy rhythm so the possible roads are quite limited for me.

dude youre in the weeds with it to even have releases out / a career
ive been making music almost every day for years and the only things ive finished are a handful of simple 2-3 minute songs that dont have lyrics or go anywhere. trust me my aspirations lie beyond making a couple of songs every 3 years. i keep at it though because i trust myself in completing more things once my outside life is better and i am in a better place mentally. despite how shit it feels you will make progress the more you work at it. you have already made a lot.

>I do suck at string instruments and singing (wink wink, new stuff) and at times I have an crappy rhythm
These are literally the prerequisites for making folk-punk

I mean, you are correct. But quantity doesn't mean it's quality work, you know? I would kill for making few songs for few years if it meant that I could be doing something else in the meantime. But sucking at practically everything feels like a donkey's anus over a face.

kek

Jesus, I'm so fucking skeptic today. Sorry guys if any of you feel negative because of my whining

Keep doing it user, your ambient looks pretty nice.

Maybe you should try making something a bit more upbeat? If you don't feel comfortable with your voice you could ask a friend or something.

I'll be honest with you, what you do is nice, but it's a little depressing IMO. Don't mean to offend you, but I think making a lighter album would help. And if you don't know how to, well, I say you contribute to those Sup Forums albums and have a laugh at least.

If something your album arts are really good lol.

This
He shoudl try making some indie-folk punk or whatever, scratching an acoustic guitar and shouting angrily in Polish
I guarantee he would have the fun of his life

You're too kind user!

Making something upbeat would be however a disaster. I don't really feel comfortable with making "happy", jump-y stuff. It's nothing wrong with the music itself just of a kind of a character I am. Whenever I try to make something for the laughs I seriously consider just removing it from the existence tbqh.

A little depressing isn't a bad thing to me. I am in that sort of mentality daily so making happy music, again, would be a bit out of my character. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy happy music but I just couldn't find myself something happy, you know?

I made a song about a goat fucker from Texas one time for a friend. I don't say I'm happy with it. It's been erased so long ago. Also, I think that should be crucial for this thing - I don't really like parody/meme-filled records. Some people I know make that kind of music, putting some random BC accounts and making songs titles a'la "MEME420XDLOZFUNFUCK_XXX" and I just find them utter atrocious.

Also, maybe learning some music theory or doing some covers will help you.

Here, I'll leave you some interesting channels so you can fall in love with music again:

youtube.com/user/havic5
>AdamNeely: bass tutorials, music theory and trivia, memes
youtube.com/channel/UCi7l9chXMljpUft67vw78qw/videos
>Sideways: fun essays on composition and interesting stuff

Ayy, Adam Neely. He have made an excellent video on Nancarrow. Good shares!

Adding even more, I'm listening to Lucid Drean rn and you are pretty good with the piano.

Some of the tunes in that album remind me of Iamthemorning (russian prog band). You could try to go in that direction!

youtube.com/watch?v=GsNDyoGE-2w

I think I've heard that band before, thanks for suggestion! It seems like this direction would require more manpower and/or skill which I don't really have at the moment. Plus prog rock ain't for me sadly. But I would go balls deep on this like five years ago. The piano parts are pleasant though. I wouldn't possibly make them happen but hey, they indeed create a nice vibe to the track!

Stop frogposting

>epiglottis.bandcamp.com/album/removal
It's not bad at all, but what are the odds of having a successful career in ambient music anyway?

What's success for you though? For me people like Hecker, Grouper, Basinski have a very successful careers. Sure, it might not be wild but people wait for their records, they play shows semi-regularly.

Maybe you don't really like making music and you just crave the idea of validation by crowds and view counters.

Maybe. Maybe not. By this point I don't even know anymore. I extremely like music as a way of self-representation and as an idea of presenting myself in one light or another. I don't care about money and such although that would be some form of showing that what I'm doing has an actual value. But the same could be applied to me cooking myself a dish so I don't know. I'm just very confused atm.

I dunno man, play open mics or something and just meet cool people. There's a lot of great artists disguised in business suits and tradesmen uniforms.

That's something worth considering, thank you!

eat a dick, how about that faggot?

If you can't be satisfied making music with no expectation of success or attention, don't bother. The creative process is basically the same at any level of fame or success. Money and adoration aren't really gratifying either.

I don't know anymore really, it's all a big ruckus. What I can say however is that "fame" and money is secondary. Not a goal even. But the current perspective I have makes even primary things i.e. things that should make me just satisfy with making sounds and releasing them quite aren't making me happy.

Ruckus, I tell ya. I think I lost some balls on the way here lol