/prod/ Music Production General

Thread died just as I was replying edition
------ NO SOUNDCLOUDS ALLOWED ------
>LEARNING RESOURCES
>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/uhidam44
clyp.it/nk05g0ty
clyp.it/sx34apdj
clyp.it/4fif103s
clyp.it/aucgeevb
youtube.com/watch?v=1XrbTqiQGcg
clyp.it/lk2mns0y
tactilesounds.blogspot.com/p/tactile-synthesizers.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headroom_(audio_signal_processing)
clyp.it/ffa2ht2b
clyp.it/yjlkvnzw
clyp.it/thtzroa1?token=55dc8b10cfd681db2ac23ef052be6585
clyp.it/u1lsn3h0
philharmonia.co.uk/explore/sound_samples
clyp.it/dy3ovwod
clyp.it/phajmfvp?token=13f9cf2ddca920cb54592ad1e6d20a92
youtu.be/QSZOR0v-y6w
youtu.be/h--P8HzYZ74
thejazzpianosite.com/jazz-piano-lessons/
clyp.it/2s5k0cdx
clyp.it/4dyrpy4l
support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546095-I-m-getting-clicks-and-pops-on-my-computer-that-has-an-AMD-processor
clyp.it/fie1d3gt
clyp.it/ibgynelm
clyp.it/clfkqqac
clyp.it/iobyveku
clyp.it/rva3j5ii
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>in reply to the last thread
Best in thread, just because I love this style of music. The sax and random synth squeals top it off nicely. I'd say louder drums though, just because I like very punchy mixes.
An album worth of stuff like this would be amazing relaxation music, it's the right amount of sublety. Depending on what you're going for though you could mix the drums slightly louder or just make them break through the mix more.
You can basically just use any drum samples and process them to sound the way you want.
I think it's because in older stuff we're less focused on achieving an end goal and were just jamming.
I love making offbeat melodies like that, it's fun to throw people off the rhythm.
Super clean, though I guess that's to be expected using Zedd stems. There's not really anything wrong with it maybe you could spice it up with some glitchy loopy bits.
Distortion on the sub will increase the aggressiveness, is right.
More punch user, it has plenty of potential
Give it some sub, groovy loop though
The sub has no sub are the two bass lines conflicting? Or does it just need eq. And you need to into mixing and mastering, a good mix should be punchy and loud before mastering.
Tons of potential, find some nice instruments and you're set.
Finally someone who can into a punchy mix, I like this. Are the vocals yours? Keen to see how it progresses after this.
This user is right, maybe you could try shortening the drum tails and that shaker thing to give it space. But it's a mighty fine track.
The vocals stand out in a strange way, kind of sibilant, maybe further eq and follow advice
Trippy, liking it so far, but it sounds far away, louder percussion would help.
The kick has popping at the end of the sample, fade out, sounds interesting though

clyp.it/uhidam44
1:05 to skip intro

Is this a good master?

Here's a loop I recently started, it seems like a nice base to work from.
clyp.it/nk05g0ty

Also I thought you guys might like this one. I still need to add some structure and lengthen it out, though I've been enjoying the trippy delays in it.
clyp.it/sx34apdj

Looks like I messed up that embed link during copy/paste, woops.

No, you're still barely at 0db, I quickly ran your track through my standard mastering process. It should sound more like this. I took out nearly 6db at the fundamental kick frequency and added about +3db in the highs.
clyp.it/4fif103s
I really enjoyed listening to it, the mix was amazing.

>No, you're still barely at 0db
I was worried about damaging the mix because of so much going on (bass-kick), I just pushed the gain on my maximizer until the signal started to die, then dialled it back... If you reckon it can withstand more I'll do more.
>I took out nearly 6db at the fundamental kick frequency and added about +3db in the highs.
Is the kick too loud? Are the highs too quiet? I think the problem is when I made the synths I filtered the highs and then I kind of added them back in with sends and mastering, I should really just go back into the mix and fix it there
>I really enjoyed listening to it, the mix was amazing.
Thanks, I wasn't sure about it. I really don't like making house music because the lows get flooded and claustrophobic. And thanks for the re-master, I'll keep it in mind

probably shouldnt be posting this but im curious as to what you goys may think about this song i made about 6 months ago clyp.it/aucgeevb

cheers! I'm 73063699.

yes the vocals are mine. Orange Vocoder really does the trick.

Cool stuff, really interesting. No complaints

What's the best way of getting grest 808 and 909 sounds? Sample packs online (free or downloaded), making them yourself or sampling them yourself from songs and youtube videos?

Really want the absolute best sounds I can get since they're the backbones of my music

i really like legowelts 808 and 909 ableton racks, they are kinda lofi tho

Yeah there was way to much low end and the eq helped remove some muddiness and excess sub. As you said fixing it in the mix would be much easier.

I can hear it now, just compared my master and your master on some headphones. I think my monitors have bad bass response or something because I keep mixing bass too loud

youtube.com/watch?v=1XrbTqiQGcg

clyp.it/lk2mns0y
thoughts?
rate?

for 808 i synthesize em new with ts-808 tactilesounds.blogspot.com/p/tactile-synthesizers.html and then process that

>More punch user, it has plenty of potential
Cheers, mate. Yeah, listening to it today with fresh ears it sounds quite tamed. Will dial the punch in a little bit!

Nice organic glitches I r8 8/8
I like the mixture of acoustic and electronic

sick stuff mate

Shit, this stuff is good.

We should keep on adding to it!

Cheers user

hello lads,

have a question about room size and monitors.
i'm in a 2.25m x 4m space - speakers would be placed against the 2.25, on stands, reducing that further by like 50cm. should i just get a pair of 5" adam a5x or do i have room for something bigger, like the HS7?

headroom of what?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headroom_(audio_signal_processing)

in volume? do you mean it clips before 0db? or what?

you are doing gods work user

sup /prod/

i'm new to mixing, but have recently figured out the benefits of using start-up templates in ableton

what are some good default macros to set for every channel?

I was thinking a High Pass Filter and Low Pass Filter for sure... but what else would be useful to set on the other 4 available knobs?

So I'm using reason 9, slaved to fl 12. I have two midi channels in FL running two synthesizers in reason. Now i didnt configure it but I'm trying to figure out how to add a third. Tried a whole bunch of output and port settings in fl but I couldn't find a way to get the third midi channel for control the third synth.
Any tips?
Not in front of my computer rn so I'm trying to recite things as clearly as possible.

clyp.it/ffa2ht2b

how's it sounding fellas? is the swing on the drums awkward?

I have no idea how to mix but i managed to record
something.
What do you guys think
clyp.it/yjlkvnzw

>clyp.it/ffa2ht2b
sounding great
swing sounds okay, maybe drop it just a few points?
I dont know how the bass was recorded, but imo you should sustain the notes onces those guitar licks start coming in, i think it will liven it up a bit without changing the vibe

Anyone know of a good orchestral library?

glad u fellas enjoyed

i tried to program the swing by turning the grid off and dragging hits around so some parts are more swung than others, and they seem to be too much so i'll tone them down
the bass is just a serum preset so i'll try that out. i definitely like the idea
thanks for the feedback tho, link me something of yours if you want

>clyp.it/uhidam44
It's good but i feel like something is missing im not sure what yet.

sounds interesting, not very familiar with this type of music though - seems a tad spaztic.

musically it sounds great but you should rerecord it properly, it sounds super distant and the volume dips out and fades throughout.

>clyp.it/ffa2ht2b
doesnt really sound off with those swing hits but the clap/snare can be turned down for sure that seems to be the most overpowering elements of your mix is the high end portion of the drums/percussion.

guitar recording doesnt sound bad, but there's nothing really interesting or gripping about the track thats happening there. add some stuff to it.
I'm going to ditch the navi sample because it's incredibly over used, though i do enjoy it. I would like some comments on the overall mix, synth quality and dynamic, and arrangement of the track please!

i forgot to separate my clyp with the last critique so here is the link to my clyp.

Transistor Revolution You won't find anything better unless you feel like dropping a fuck load of cash on the real thing.

>To give an example of the detail involved in the sampling of each instrument, the Revolution 909 Bass Drum alone uses 9318 unique sounds to faithfully recreate the 909 Bass Drum sound.

Holy fuck guys I'm constantly battling against lack of desk space. I need some Studio furniture ideas

throw out everything except your monitors, interface, mouse and keyboard.

Thats not very helpful is it now

i mean, do you REALLY need all that other stuff?
think about it for a second.
you're welcome.

Hey. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I recorded this to get some experience with recording and actually making songs. Anything obvious stand out that I'm doing wrong or whatever? I like to leave on the starts and ends of tracks just for fun, so just ignore those bits.
clyp.it/u1lsn3h0

I'm listening to this now, and I think it's really cool. I can see why you'd ditch the Navi sample, but it is a shame because it sounds nice. Definitely need something strong there to replace it.

hey thanks, and yeah it's a shame because it fits so well but some other friends of mine who make a lot of music say they have heard it an uncountable amount of times. I'm hoping to keep it in the video game realm, maybe something not as popularized. if you know of any cool samples that come to mind please share!

>musically it sounds great but you should rerecord it properly, it sounds super distant and the volume dips out and fades throughout.
i get what you mean. also i didnt play any of that with an instrument, it's all samplers, specifically Kontakt. but yeh that volume dipping and fading was intentional, it's meant to sound far off, like a vague dream or something. thanks for feedback though, friend

Yeah thats still not helpful is it

chill stuff, keep it going user

>Been playing guitar and piano and other instruments for countless years
>Recently begin learning to produce

Holy fuck this is amazing. It's like I have a whole symphony at my fingertips
Why didn't I start this earlier?

oh no. will you make video game music and epic scores?

Right now I'm working on instrumental hip hop stuff

i like how much conviction you posted this with.
good on ya son.

I'd honestly love to make some video game music when I get better at producing though, not going to lie

Been using this one for a little while:

philharmonia.co.uk/explore/sound_samples

Huge collection of orchestral instruments playing individual notes, and each note has a sample for piano, mezzo-forte, forte, etc. and at different lengths.
By themselves the samples can sound a bit tinny at times, but with the right processing it would probably sound better given that they're recordings of natural instruments.

How does this remix sound? Anywhere I could improve (especially in relation to mastering)?

clyp.it/dy3ovwod

Hey everyone, im working on a new beat and I used a sample for the first time. I was wondering if you guys have any idea if I could make the melody more interesting. Because right now it's just two notes over 4 bars and im feeling i should add something to it to give it more dynamic. Also the mixing might not be good

This is the beat (the last house part is just there as a joke so ignore that):
clyp.it/phajmfvp?token=13f9cf2ddca920cb54592ad1e6d20a92

I sampled the first few seconds from this
youtu.be/QSZOR0v-y6w

>clyp.it/dy3ovwod
what is it a remix of? Sounds good to me even though its not my kind of music.

Thanks! It's a remix of Stay by Zedd

youtu.be/h--P8HzYZ74

mind looking at my stuff?

thejazzpianosite.com/jazz-piano-lessons/

Learned about "shell chords". The 3rd and 7th are the most important notes in a chord that define its sound so just get rid of all the other shit. It creates an ambiguous sound and it's harmonically sparse, giving room for a more complex melody or solo.

I like it user, feels like I'm listening to Radiohead.

I got you senpai, I don't have a good way to listen to it atm so I'll have to listen later.
>bookmarked

Sounds good to me! To add more melody or movement (1:00), I would throw a gate on your pads (or sample) and side chain it to your hats or something. It'd possibly give it a nice studder effect and could liven up the tempo. Also try experimenting with distortion effects to give your sampled a more high end presence

thanks g

>start-up templates
>macros

you mean audio effects racks?

the only presets i've made are parallel compression and one for bass guitar for mixing, but i'm sure a lot of people would probably start with reverbs and delays on their returns too

if it's between adams and yams i'd say get the a5x

a lot of people will discourage larger monitors in smaller rooms because of buildup but that's pretty silly.... i mean you can just turn the volume down lol

Anyone know of any recording programs like audacity or adobe audition that are compatible with ASIO?

(og user) you'll always clip at 0db.

headroom* as in the space you have between getting no signal and distorting is extremely small. On top of that, it has a high noise floor as well.

FL Studio

pretty sure all or them dude...

Audacity isn't, others that are either can't multitrack or would just be additional cost. Ableton can't handle recording audio without chirps and crackles for me no mater what audio preferences so I need to record audio in some other program that uses ASIO for low latency.

clyp.it/2s5k0cdx

Finally finished with this, my brain is melted, what do you guys think.

clyp.it/4dyrpy4l
how can i make the gated synth sound fuller? the track might be a bit quiet btw

Detune more? Take the filter off and widen it overall.

You're still not any further down the road with this - did you try the DPC spike checker tool in the last thread?

Ableton has its flaws but it doesn't have a problem like the one you're having without there also being something amiss closer to the hardware or OS configuration that brings it out.

Example - Focusrite clicks and pops with AMD processors (there's a driver update that fixes it)

support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546095-I-m-getting-clicks-and-pops-on-my-computer-that-has-an-AMD-processor

Finished this one yesterday: clyp.it/fie1d3gt
About to start a new project

clyp.it/ibgynelm
feedback and advice on this? I'm kinda liking what I have so far and want to know what I can do to make it better.

Does that apply even not using AMD?

Not bad.

Pretty nice although I'm not really digging the bassline, doesn't seem to be following the chords all too well.

me

>clyp.it/ibgynelm
First of all you can fix the bass it's off key..
Some leveling would do the whole thing some good, Maybe add a violin/some strings or whatever to make it fuller.

Whoops for whatever reason though we said MME, brain's fried. But all my focusrite drivers are up to date unless these are some special ones, I'll try them out. So far my prod experience has been 5% music making and 95% troubleshooting.

Fuck I was just guessing Focusrite, I'm not laying this at their (or AMD's) door but I always had chipset issues with AMD systems (VIA chipsets were a bitch particularly) and it tended to lead me down the same road you're on - all I can add is that you will get it fixed if you persevere.

Try the driver fix and let us know if it worked - it might help someone else tearing their hair out with the same thing.

the shaker is a bit too loud imo

Im planning on buying a mid 2012 macbook pro becaus i want to use logic pro. Is anybody here using a macbook for music prod? Do you have any advice?

clyp.it/clfkqqac

i know the instrumentation and mixing need a lot of work but is this cover even slightly interesting?

Here's an acoustic cover...

clyp.it/iobyveku

>is this cover even slightly interesting

i've never heard the original but no sorry. it just sounds like a boring song with a shit load of effects

I found the acoustic version to be much better, you can actually hear your voice and it sounds nice... although the percussion is totally off and obnoxious.

clyp.it/rva3j5ii
tried to fix it up a bit. Thoughts?

I am using a Macbook Pro with Logic Pro X. Work hard is my advice.

be creative, i took the legs off of a keyboard stand today and added them to the legs of my desk so it would be taller and i could fit the keyboard stand partially under the desk so i could sit closer

do a search on /r/wearethemusicmakers

i've got nothing to tell you except the few times i've seen it brought up getting a refurbished macbook is always seen as a good idea

>Anything obvious stand out that I'm doing wrong or whatever

what's your recording setup like..? And what are you shooting for? Honestly it's a mess dude. I can see a flaming lips kind of thing going but what you've got so far isn't doing your song justice

nobody wants to talk about theory sorry :^)

i ripped that off of john frusciante's guitar playing; it's easy as shit to improv endlessly with that technique.

the progress in the first 30 seconds sounds premature to me but then again i've never heard the song

WHITE NOISE MY MAN 100% GARUNTEED FULLNESS

also bring in something an octave or two lower a liiiiiitle bit

your drums are hella dry man where's the verb? delay on the piano too. I don't care much for the kick sample... play with the velocity

ah, understand. thats pretty shit

here
Yeah, my recording setup is shit; I'm back at my parent's house post-graduation and it's just a random room that I can put my instruments in plus a Snowball mic. I'm moving tomorrow, and will have my own space and more money so I'll be able to set up a better place with better equipment (though unfortunately sans drums and piano, since it's an apartment with limited space and noise stuff, which sucks).
As for shooting for, like I said I don't really know what I'm doing, so I started with a chord progression I had been messing around with and knew I liked and felt out the rest. I was going to add more in the middle (as well as rerecord the drums), but I just did this a couple days ago and I'm already moving. I mostly was just shooting to make a song with these instruments. I've done some acoustic guitar stuff in the past, but rarely have I added anything else, so I thought it'd be good to get a little feel for it.

ah, good luck in the apartment man, ive got no idea how i'm going to record once i move out lol

defs going to need to move past the usb mic. maybe cop a good keyboard and some kontakt libraries so you can demo out drums and piano before you're able to record the real thing

Nah driver download didn't do anything, I figured it wouldn't since the crackles/chirps only happen in Ableton, they're not present in other programs so it should be anything to do with the box itself or its drivers I'd think.

Thanks m8. I'm moving to somewhere with pretty low housing prices, and I'll be there for at least 6 years, so while I'll stay at the apt for probably a year I'm gonna look into getting a house. Then I could bring my drums up, which would be awesome.

Good idea. I actually just got a synth recently, but I don't really know how to use it and my attempts to get it to record sound to my comp' through my DAC ended in failure, so I'm going to try to figure that out once I move, also.
I actually also have what I think might be a pretty okay full-size keyboard from when I was a kid, but somehow the LCD screen broke when I was like 13 and it's a mess to do anything on it now.

so long as either of those have got midi out you should be good to go man

>clyp.it/clfkqqac

shameless self bumping in hopes someone can give meed some feedback. :l

anyone who knows how to isolate vocals want to help me isolate the vocals for mac demarco's my kind of woman. I'm making a sort of vaporwave/chill ambient type song with it.

i am philosophically against this type of sampling but all you have to do is phase flip an instrumental with the original

i've already critique this song multiple times don't give me that face!