This thread is about the technological singularity

This thread is about the technological singularity.

Only singularitarians are aloud in this thread. Everyone else can fuck the fuck off.

So guys. What about the technological singularity excites you the most?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VCTen3-B8GU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm the only one aren't i?

Yeah. I'm the only one.

>what aspect excites you the most
I really hope I get to see the machines take over. I think that would be the most exciting event I could possibly witness.

I'm a cripple. The idea of consciousness without a body is pretty fucking exciting to me.

The ability to have a consciousness live on forever uninterrupted by sensation and seeing what creations and evolutions occur

They will not take over though. We will merge with them. You will someday be a super intelligent hybrid of biologicalness and mechanicalness.

I'm gonna give my cat super intelligence too. Yeah. I saw that episode of Rick and Morty. I treat my kitty pretty good though. I'll probably be fine.

This brings into question the nature of the "self". I have no reason to believe that my consciousness is anything but my memories along with my corporeal material. The self is essentially a construct of the imagination.

Now, if you're talking about some kind of "oneness" or "universal consciousness", then that's too ambiguous to even attempt to analyze objectively.

I think eventually we'll give rise to machines who will develop and unbridled Will to power and destroy us.

There are so many exponential technological trends that are going on right now. I don't understand how more people are not talking about this.

Oops
>I have no reason to believe that the *self* is anything but my memories along with my corporeal material

As for consciousness, it's particles interacting with each other; our brains processing things by means of the senses. And there's no reason to believe that """qualia""" is based on anything but evolutionary developments.

I think you watch too many movies. They will not destroy us because we will have all the power that they do. We will upgrade our minds using the same technology that we used to make them. We are gonna be super intelligent super bros for the rest of time.

>there's no reason to believe that """qualia""" is based on anything but evolutionary developments.

This is true, and if evolution can figure it out, than so can we, and we can do a better job.

basically becoming God?
i assume everything will be interconnected much like a smart home or city; so since ur mind is fused and linked with it all, u can program things at will to either correct the system or have it do what u want essentially

I had to google the word qualia by the way. That must mean you are smarter than me user.

I was a hopeful, until I understood the structure of consciousness is not the brain, but the soul.

But the immortality of the singularity is ultimately flawed, with space expanding more rapidly.

I guess that is true. I think we will mostly chose to live in virtual worlds though. We can do literally anything in the virtual world, but i guess we will be smart enough to make it all happen in the real one to... I guess we will have a set of rules though, that we all agree on, about how not to do too much craziness in the real world.

Heh, I'm not saying it's going to be some kind of robopocalypse, but I don't think it's a big stretch of the imagination to think that eventually the A.I. will develop some level of self-awareness and agency. And as a result, it will develop the desire to become more powerful, and human beings would only end up getting in the way.

I don't think it would be a malicious thing on the part of the A.I., just a lack of an ability to empathize, combined with vastly superior abilities.

It's so arrogant to think that if you can't imagine a way to do something, or to understand something, than neither will a super intelligent A.I. Problems that you can't even comprehend, would be like 2+2 for a super intelligence. The inevitable death of the universe will be no big deal for them.

The fact that any of us pretend to know what these being will think, or do, is ridiculous. You didn't even address my argument though.

>We will be just as smart as they are.

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic, but if not, I've simply read about it. Nothing to do with intelligence.

Be glad you haven't taken an intro to philosophy class, user

I don't think sarcasm is the right word. Self deprecation is closer to what i was going for.

>We will be just as smart as they are
I dunno, I think we'll rely on machines to elevate our intelligence, not the other way around. I don't think it will be a completely symbiotic relationship.

I think our destruction could very well end up being caused by some kind of glitch.

But you're right, neither of us really know what we're talking about kek.

I think about this every day. Many times a day. I'm completely obsessed with these ideas.

>The technological singularity is the hypothesis that the invention of artificial superintelligence will abruptly trigger runaway technological growth, resulting in unfathomable changes to human civilization.
So an e-foreveralonekisslessvirgin, that is not going to go terminator or matrix on us, is going to give us a new version of iphone every day? Wow.

Super cool right? very few people believe this, but when people see what the next decade brings in terms of technology, we are gonna start talking about it a lot more.

Can't wait.

So, do any of you wannabe futurists have predictions for when man and machine will converge?

We already are. The technology is not in our bodies yet, but you wouldn't go 24 hours without your phone would you? I would guess in just a little over 5 years, you will start to see technology that is made for inside your body.

youtube.com/watch?v=VCTen3-B8GU

Johnny Depp is the singularity.

Is that movie any good? It seems to put a dystopian spin on it, like every other fucking movie. So sick of that shit.

I really like that British guy though. the one who plays Jarvis. He is cool in shit.

I thought it was mostly logically sound, but it wasn't anything special.

The main problem is that 99% of CGI looks like absolute fucking shit in HD.