Which is better and why?

Which is better and why?

Faust because I say so

Future Days and Faust IV although they're both babbies first krautrock as well

boop

I think Faust is better because it's more of a complete composition and vision rather than a set of jams (extraordinary as they are).

halleluhwah is the best song of both album
but faust a better album a big part because it don't have tago mago side b on it

faust

end of meadow meal into miss fortune is pure bliss

Can because Faust isn't even music

Tago Mago because it's the best album ever made

You just went full plebeian

I say the same thing, but with Faust.

I like Tago Mago more. Faust is still growing on me.

Two more overrated albums haven't existed on Sup Forums

Both records are honestly boring as fuck.

Pleb

I'm a scrub with krautrock in that I listen to plenty that has the label, but I still have no idea what kind of sound the genre describes. Is there some simple definition that some dumbass like me could understand?

post-rock/idm before they existed
made in Deutschland

Prog made by Germans
It's more of a marketing umbrella term than an actual genre, the only relatively consistent characteristics are a greater focus on improvisation and influence from the 20th century avant-garde as opposed to the Romantic stylings of Anglo-prog

Anybody know if the vinyl pressing of Tago Mago sounds any good? Discogs says no, elsewhere says yes

It's an umbrella term for prog rock in 70s Germany. Strove to move away from 60s rock dominated by Americans and British into something fresh and new and German. There is no unifying sound of krautrock but much of it is inspired by Terry Riley, Stockhausen, acid rock, and jazz.

id say tago mago because it represents the psych experience really well and the subtle cool flairs and things that irmin, jaki and holger add make it a really fun album. The ego death in peking o is fucking nuts too. also i prefer ege and future days

>When will they start singing?

tago mago is obviously better. but ege and future days are better than that. faust IV is good, but that album is just a bunch of half-assed noise. there's hardly even any good musicianship or composition.

those who are saying faust+the second half of tago are better are just being tryhard contrarians. the reason why krautrock is good to begin with is because of the jams. if i wanted experimental noise/neoclassical i would just listen to stockhausen

Can we end this fucking meme?
All krautrock is "babby's first" because it's a popular but small sub-genre that has been unearthed from head to toe and talked about to death.

improvisational feel, motorik beat sometimes, ambient/berlin school leanings
at the heart of it it's prog, like other anons have said, though i hate prog and love krautrock

thisit's more about a time and a place than a specific sound. it's just a way of categorizing progressive german music in the 70s

>if i wanted experimental noise/neoclassical i would just listen to stockhausen
Funny because Stockhausen himself praised "Aumgn" and Czukay and Schmidt studied under him.

How much of a pleb would you have to be to think Faust is "just noise"? It's literally just a quirky prog rock album with some electronic experimentation here and there.

Tago Mago side B > side C > side A > side D desu

Can
>two art music students on bass/production and keyboards
>professional jazz drummer and guitarist
>crazy japanese hobo singer

Faust
>bunch of hippies fucking around in the studio

Hmm really hard decision

it's nothing more than random fractured improvisations and beating on a cement mixer.

it's cool in a novel way, but musically it doesn't have shit on can

Tago Mago is the best rock album of all time. Faust is also a strong 9, but the main reason I think Faust is so good is because it's like a deconstruction of rock music, and Tago Mago kind of includes that as well I'm the form of Peking O, but it also includes Halleluhwah which is transcendentally good.

If you like concise artistic statements, Faust is the better album as user states here If you think Tago Mago is a complete reflection of everything that is beautiful about rock, as I do, Tago Mago is the better album.

>thinks that Faust is half assed noise
>knows so little about avant garde music that he thinks that Stockhausen is neoclassical

Yeah that figures.

>he thinks experimental=good
typical childish elitism. i used to be like you when i was in high school. sooner or later you'll realize that extended psych rock jams with polyrhythms and improvisational solos are better than screeching into a microphone with dogs barking in the background

>he can't into art

wew

i even like tago mago a million times more

I'd say, if you're speaking objectively, Tago Mago for sure. That's not to say that Faust isn't good but I've always been under the impression that they tried way too hard to make "high art". It's pretentious as hell. Inaccessibility isn't a bad thing by any means but there has to be something of real substance there and I'd love to have somebody convince me that the whole album isn't just masturbatory "artistic" posturing. Can walks the line between being of artistic value and simply enjoyable to listen to regularly much better than Faust do on their s/t.

This is of course, a completely meaningless discussion because neither one is "better" than the other. They happen to both belong to a genre placed upon them by someone other than themselves, which happens to be an extremely broad and vague, and mostly meaningless descriptor. It does not make them comparable.

this exactly

Tago Mago

>>he can't into art
i just don't see how art that's intentionally weird for weirdness' sake is automatically better than other art. experimentation is important, but not inherently more important than substance.

Art that's more concerned with inaccessibility and experimentation purely for the sake of inaccessibility and experimentation and ultimately pretty devoid of substance seems pretty post-modern to me. I don't especially value post-modern art because it doesn't demand or encourage the person consuming it place any value on it. Essentially I think that's cheap and meaningless. Feel free to let me know if I've misunderstood it somehow I guess, but you probably won't convince me.

That's a strawman. I like Stockhausen, but I like Bach more. I like Faust but I like Can more too. Neither Stockhausen nor Faust are weirdness for weirdness' sake, and neither are automatically better than more conventional music. The reason that you can't into art is that you think that if something is experimental then it must be for children. We on the other hand like experimental music and conventional music, and so pity your closed mindedness.

>I don't like it, therefore it's bad

That's not an argument. Make a sound refutation of my points if you don't agree, otherwise you're not actually participating in a discussion. You're just being a memer.

I also never said I didn't like it. I actually said the opposite in my previous post. I didn't even say it was a bad album by any means, it's just not that great.

wow there sure are a lot of pretentious posers on this board.

>We on the other hand like experimental music and conventional music, and so pity your closed mindedness
i never said i disliked experimental music. in fact, i used to like it more. but then i grew up. all i'm saying is that can's musical jams are better than their noise excursions. and better than faust s/t

This. I think Tago Mago works better as a whole. It's experimental, yet has this primitive energy, these contagious grooves that just hit you on a different, more natural level than Faust.

sorry that you grew out of an open mind

>sorry that you grew out of an open mind
i just learned more about music theory and started thinking about it from a critical perspective rather than a purely reactionary perspective.

ok

t. probably doesn't even play an instrument

t. i've been playing bass for 10 years. i played in a band for several years and i make my own music now. i also play guitar, banjo, and a little piano. that's how i got into theory to begin with.

pleb instruments regardless

haha aight. what do you play?

your mother

also the saxophone

let's make a fusion band

ok sure

you gotta stop moving the goalpost. I think that made a sound argument. Music as overwhelmingly experimental as Faust is completely reactionary, which is fine, but doesn't automatically equate to being of real artistic or musical value, and it certainly doesn't make it inherently better than more conventional music. Whether or not it's worth more or less is a meaningless discussion, but it's worth noting that nobody really gives this stuff the time of day except for pretentious no-name critics like Scaruffi and, more notably, pretentious teenagers on the internet who like to boast about enjoying it simply BECAUSE it's hard to enjoy. If you think something reactionary, dissonant, outlandish, difficult, and completely experimental has artistic value simply because of those things you need to do some re-evaluating of what you consider to be "artworthy".

>backpedaling this hard

You're deliberately misrepresenting my points. I'm clarifying my position to try and engage you in a discussion and you're still not doing it. Stop shitting up the thread.