Ugh... I want to like this stuff but I just can't get over how ridiculous this girl's voice is...

Ugh... I want to like this stuff but I just can't get over how ridiculous this girl's voice is. It sounds like a muskrat going though a meat grinder.

How do I trick myself into liking this so I can fit in?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ljmjmvMTWyY
youtube.com/watch?v=2xtlyUBkszU
youtu.be/ow-qImCrD5E
youtube.com/watch?v=c5WEuQUw8wY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

New Joanna single, thoughts?
youtube.com/watch?v=ljmjmvMTWyY

Wow, you're the first person in 10 years not to compare her voice to Lisa Simpson - thank you for that! We're really making progress now.

Well, imo her voice sounds almost conventional in that album.

>you're the first person in 10 years not to compare her voice to Lisa Simpson
I've never heard this before, but it's spookily spot-on

KEK

Joanna is incredible, but to get into her it's easiest to take her easy-to-listen to stuff first.

Start with the Divers album, specifically her biggest hit "Sapokanikan". Listen to that a few times to see if you can stomach her voice. If you can start enjoying the song and just accept her voice as kinda weird, it's time to focus on the composition. Start to enjoy the instrumental part of the song, the arrangement. If at this point you are really digging the instrumental aspect, and are putting up with the voice, it's time for part of Joanna that makes every Joanna fan say she is one of the best living songwriters today - her lyrics.

Sapokanikan is a great one to examine too. Read the lyrics and follow along, look up her references, learn about the history of Manhattan. Fall in love with the poetry. Her lyrics are the heart of soul of her music, she is truly an amazing poet.

Once you can love the harp, piano, guitar, and woodwind arrangements tied with the stellar poetry you will be willing to accept her voice as it is and internalize it. I find it enjoyable now a days, her voice I mean, but I had to appreciate the other aspects of her first before I was willing to accept it.

She's incredible if you can get into it, I highly recommend it best of luck.

youtube.com/watch?v=2xtlyUBkszU
It's uncanny

I cant get over how the greatest artist of the last 20 years is going to be far less popular than she should be because most people are utter plebeians when it comes to vocals

OP here thank you for a genuinely helpful post. I'll listen to Divers

His rec was terrible, considering Divers is by far her most mediocre album and her vocals on it sound a lot weirder than on HOOM.

Well I tried listening to HOOM and wanted to stick toothpicks into my ears.

Her voice is hardly that weird. You should listen to some Appalachian folk.

>You should listen to some Appalachian folk.
Why? Is it weird as well?

Don't bother with Divers if it's her voice that you don't like.

Her voice is the most "normal" on HOOM, so you started at the right place. If you want to like her just listen to a few of her songs every other day and you will most likely get used to it. Or maybe you won't. But I know a couple of people who hated her at first, but started to like her over time.

I would say it's worth a try, but then again she's my favourite musician

Her voice is contrived as fuck my man, nothing genuinely good about it.

here op try this song

youtu.be/ow-qImCrD5E

Holy SHIT her voice is horrible. How is this okay?

Try this EP, it's easier to listen.

youtube.com/watch?v=c5WEuQUw8wY

fill your long ears with bees

kek